PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Hog Hunt (Seeking some advise)

gmachine19
07-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Hi all!

Me and a few buddies really want to go hunt some boars but there's none/very little in bc! So we decided that we will just book a hunt somewhere in alberta.

Has anyone done this?

Can anyone recommend a good guided hunt?

Thanks,
Gil

SPEYMAN
07-13-2018, 07:04 PM
From my understanding, these hogs are in a pen. You get to harvest your pork rather than purchasing from a store.

russm
07-13-2018, 07:05 PM
I was looking at it a week or 2 ago, forget the name of the company though, they started at $750 a hog.

fuzzybiscuit
07-13-2018, 08:39 PM
From my understanding, these hogs are in a pen. You get to harvest your pork rather than purchasing from a store.

Not so. They made have been at one time but they run free now.

walks with deer
07-13-2018, 08:56 PM
two days after my whitetail hunt last year the land owner sent me a video of a hog on there land.

shortrange
07-13-2018, 11:45 PM
I was looking at it a week or 2 ago, forget the name of the company though, they started at $750 a hog.

Hog Wild Specialties. I called them last year and was told that the web page hasn't been updated and prices start at 900 now. It is a big farm with pigs running loose. More like shopping than hunting, but you get a pig.

gmachine19
07-15-2018, 12:28 AM
Hog Wild Specialties. I called them last year and was told that the web page hasn't been updated and prices start at 900 now. It is a big farm with pigs running loose. More like shopping than hunting, but you get a pig.

Ya I emailed those guys last friday, hopefully they get back to me.

SPEYMAN
07-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Do a search for "Alberta hog hunting", lots of information.

srupp
07-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Hmm if someone finds the contact number..im interested..we are headed to Alberta/ Sask border for mulie draw..and GOS whitetail hunt
Thank you
Steven

Walking Buffalo
07-16-2018, 05:13 AM
Or even better than coming to Alberta, why don't you all lobby to have canned "hunting" allowed in BC?

srupp
11-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Hmm have contact with guy who apparantly offers pig hunts..3 pigs for $1,000 the photo of a pig was impressive. .over 450 pounds imo...
I might have contact with this gent and will post up what I find.
Cheers
Steven

Blainer
11-12-2018, 06:01 PM
http://www.hogwild.ab.ca/hunting.html

Jordan f.
11-12-2018, 08:50 PM
http://www.hogwild.ab.ca/hunting.html

Are these fenced in hunts? Or what's the deal.

Rhyno
11-12-2018, 09:03 PM

Well from the sounds of their web site I assume so.

HarryToolips
11-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Hmm have contact with guy who apparantly offers pig hunts..3 pigs for $1,000 the photo of a pig was impressive. .over 450 pounds imo...
I might have contact with this gent and will post up what I find.
Cheers
Steven
The add says 750 and upfor a trophy pig, so 3 pigs for a 1000 would be just regular sized hogs??

srupp
11-12-2018, 10:46 PM
The add says 750 and upfor a trophy pig, so 3 pigs for a 1000 would be just regular sized hogs??

Different outfit..and apparantly its $1,000 for 3 pigs..will know more by Dec 1

Srupp

Amphibious
11-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Yes, High Fence game farms.

There are a few areas of feral hogs in 'berta, but the success rates are so low, i've never heard of anyone guiding for them.

Lots of feral hog in NE Sask, but Provincial regs say only residents can hunt. Bummer. Saw quite a few while crop dusting out there a few years back.

limit time
11-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Or even better than coming to Alberta, why don't you all lobby to have canned "hunting" allowed in BC?

Now that’s an idea ! Good thing you suggested it !!

Jordan f.
11-13-2018, 06:18 PM
I do not understand traveling and paying to shoot a fenced in pig...

Springer
11-14-2018, 09:07 AM
I think if your after an escaped Hog that Saskatchewan is a better bet than Alberta...

Walking Buffalo
11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Now that’s an idea ! Good thing you suggested it !!

Happy to help keep hunters thinking about the consequences of their actions.

Will BC residents that would pay to shoot a farmed pig in Alberta actively support canned hunting in BC?

Srupp?

Blainer
11-15-2018, 12:26 PM
I do not understand traveling and paying to shoot a fenced in pig...Its obviously not for everybody and I thought similar previously, but I can now see benefits for many.
They provide cabin/lodging on site and do their best to creat a hunting like atmosphere.
No lic required, so beneficial for those on the fence about hunting, they can try and see if it’s for them.
This also presents a non rushed opportunity for new hunters.
This Hunt can likely accommodate disabled hunters and that is a big Win in my mind.
It is also nice to have an opportunity when hunting season is closed.
The meat is quite tasty, we found it better when smoked.
I also found wild hog to be amongst the best filler when making sausage.
Moose and Wild Hog dinner sausages, very good combination.
Cheers

limit time
11-15-2018, 06:41 PM

Will BC residents that would pay to shoot a farmed pig in Alberta actively support canned hunting in BC?

Srupp?

would I pay to hunt fenced animals or pay the natives ......?

Springer
11-15-2018, 07:57 PM
I for one will be Hunting at the Hog wild outfit in March. I have friends who go every year because they Love the taste of them. It will be a a blast canned or not and hanging out with my Buddies. We process our own so no pig deal on that end. I think its around $800 . Pretty cheap if you compare the cost of going to the States to Hunt them and no guarantee. We will campout there as well. My weapon of choice will be of course my Bow.
The head i will make into a Euro mount..
Im still going to pursue some free range ones this winter i have some leads on.
most people are tight lipped if they find them , but who wouldn't ..

Walking Buffalo
11-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Its obviously not for everybody and I thought similar previously, but I can now see benefits for many.
They provide cabin/lodging on site and do their best to creat a hunting like atmosphere.
No lic required, so beneficial for those on the fence about hunting, they can try and see if it’s for them.
This also presents a non rushed opportunity for new hunters.
This Hunt can likely accommodate disabled hunters and that is a big Win in my mind.
It is also nice to have an opportunity when hunting season is closed.
The meat is quite tasty, we found it better when smoked.
I also found wild hog to be amongst the best filler when making sausage.
Moose and Wild Hog dinner sausages, very good combination.
Cheers

I wish I could evaluate canned hunting and not see any negatives.

would I pay to hunt fenced animals or pay the natives ......?

I don't know what you would do, nor understand the dichotomy.

Humans sure are selfish. Always frustrated that people that present a love of Wildlife would advocate canned shooting.

srupp
11-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Srupp?

Hmmm I dont think we have canned hunts in BC.?
I have had the invites and opportunities to do canned hunts for whitetails in USA..the culls..250 points or better..have to say I thought about it..still do but mostly because of health issues. .
the pig hunts here in Alberta were not canned. .
Cheers
Frozen in Alberta
Steven

butcher
11-17-2018, 09:31 AM
I wish I could evaluate canned hunting and not see any negatives.

I don't know what you would do, nor understand the dichotomy.

Humans sure are selfish. Always frustrated that people that present a love of Wildlife would advocate canned shooting.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Although I had a great hunt this week, shot two free range Angus steers and a Pinscaur cow. Stalked to 5 yards, all headshots with 22WMR. Epic.

srupp
12-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Hmmm however it could be an answer for the older hunter, or the hunter with medical issues, or the hunter with disabilites..or in some cases the older hunter with both medical issues AND NUMEROUS DISABILITIES.and still enjoys getting out.
Life happens, accidents happen, we all develop medical issue also.
Cheers
Steven

ratherbefishin
12-24-2018, 09:25 AM
I think it might be a better bet in Oregon and in many states they are more than happy to have people come and shoot feral hogs.But for real sport do it the KIWI way with pig dogs and a knife

limit time
12-24-2018, 01:17 PM
I think it might be a better bet in Oregon and in many states they are more than happy to have people come and shoot feral hogs.But for real sport do it the KIWI way with pig dogs and a knife

id be into that .