PDA

View Full Version : Backpack questions

model88
08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Fieldline Dwight Shuh line of backpacks. I am kinda in a bind and that looks to be about the best thing I can find localy.

Any input good or bad would be awesome, I head for elk camp on Sunday:razz::razz:

Brambles
08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
If you can make it to cranbrook they have the Tatonka pack frames at mountian man, I like mine, the back padding and straps are very nice, fully adjustable pack and very sturdy. The dwight shuh frame is much like the old camp trails but a different bag, the shoulder straps and hip padding look alright on the field line but the back padding is almost non existant.

The only drawback to the Tatonka is that it wasn't designed for hunters specifically so no separate spotting scope pocket, I bougt a few strap on pockets and attached them with the webbing that is already on the bag. I wouldn't be surprised if they would handle much much more weight then they are rated for, the shelf looks weird in the picture because the bag is off but it is a real handy feature.

http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/infocgi/artinfom.dll?1130036

And the bag

http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/infocgi/artinfoe.dll?1132

30-06
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
my dad just bought me a field line. i dont need a pack frame backpack. but i like mine so far

cwocarsten
08-31-2007, 09:58 PM
The tatonka is the right way to go. I use a meat packing frame with a $15 Walmart special cammo back pack. All my day accessories go in there and when I need to pack a load of meat I take the packsack off and tie it back over top of the meat load or carry it.

troutseeker
09-01-2007, 02:46 AM
No experience withthem but a buddy has one and says it works well for him. I was considering getting one too and would love to hear your report on it when you come back. Happy hunting!

Troutseeker

model88
09-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the input guys, Brambles I actually forgot that mountain man had the tatonka, hopefully they are open sundays or I may have to resort to the old Trapper Nelson:shock:

swampthing
04-17-2010, 07:50 AM
I have a D.S. pack and think its great. I cant think of the model. Its a 45 c.i. with a plastic frame. There is two separate bags that are quick detach. It is light and sturdy. Being how I am a gear junkie, I have bought a couple new packs since. My son now owns the D.S.. I built a rifle holder that bolts on the side of it. I found it was a bit small for my needs. I have done a couple overnighters with it. It carrys my gear but doesnt leave much room for meat. I have packed moose quarters with it and it worked fine. I believe it only cost $150.

mark
04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
I have 2 D.S. packs, both with the plastic external frame and detachable main pack and fanny pack. 1 is the big model, the other Id call medium.
They are light, quiet, comfy, affordable, and guaranteed for life! Ive had no issues with either.
I packed out 1/2 of 2 big mule deer last year in my bigger one, If I had 1 complaint its that the frame tends to flex a little with a heavy load on, probably wouldnt use it for extended trips if planning on packing out a sheep ect.