PDA

View Full Version : 2 Rookies planning LEH Caribou Itcha Ilgachuz 5-12 hunt

jennylyyy
07-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

Writing on behalf of myself and another rookie hunter. Sept will be our first season out.

Lucky us, we both entered for LEH caribou! We've committed to going - go big or go home right? I've read through helpful threads about Caribou, but noticed they're very old feeds and wondered if conditions have since changed?

Questions:

1. Should we fly in opening day on Sept 10th, or wait till it gets cooler later in the month around Sept 20-30th during the rut? The heat is a concern because a) we're two newbie hunters breaking down a huge animal for the first time b) we're going to need two trips minimal between the two of us and worried about meat spoiling

2. Any recommendations for pilots?

3. Should we fly in with coolers, and stash them in the bush by the lake in case we take down a bull on our first morning? That way we can stay and hunt other game?

Thank you for your input and support!

warnniklz
07-10-2018, 11:00 PM
You're way further ahead than most. At least you plan on flying in. Most people ask how far the hike is.

Sharpish
07-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Rutting caribou are inedible. Totally disgusting. If you're in it for meat take it early.

flyboy
07-11-2018, 06:08 AM
Stewart’s lodge float plane with pilot Ian top notch, book the old beaver. Just to get to fly in that old warhorse is a hunting trip highlight. We used them a couple times.

dbergen69
07-11-2018, 07:26 AM
I think any time in September the meat should be good. The last week might be starting to get sketchy. October caribou in that area are terrible. When you are hunting don't discount the meadows around the lake. It has been awhile since I have been there but we have seen nice bulls in the meadows.

elch jager
07-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Coincidentally had this very conversation this morning with a friend while out with the dogs. Do some practicing with your compass and make sure you have a good gps. His relatives have done the hunt twice - all day on horseback to get in... The one novice in the group got disoriented and lost. They needed Search and Rescue to finally get him out. Apparently when you climb to the highest spot to look around and get your bearings, everything looks the same in all directions. Neither hunt filled a tag. The caribou numbers are really low or they are getting smarter and hiding really well. Beautiful country though.

gcreek
07-11-2018, 08:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

Writing on behalf of myself and another rookie hunter. Sept will be our first season out.

Lucky us, we both entered for LEH caribou in Itcha Lake and one of us got it! We've committed to going - go big or go home right? I've read through some helpful threads about hunting Caribou, even some specific to Itcha lake area, but noticed they're very old feeds and wondered if conditions have since changed.

As of right now, I have two questions I'm pondering on:
1. Should we fly in opening day on Sept 10th, or wait till it gets cooler later in the month around Sept 20-30th during the rut? The heat is a concern because a) we're two newbie hunters breaking down a huge animal for the first time b) we're going to need two trips minimal between the two of us and worried about meat spoiling

2. Any recommendations for pilots? We've been referred to Stewart's Lodge & camps at Nimpo Lake

I'm sure more questions will come up as we plan our trip and get knees deep in Caribou education. Thank you for your input!

Check your PM.

walks with deer
07-11-2018, 09:46 AM
nice gcreek lives there....i perdict you have some help

jennylyyy
07-11-2018, 04:17 PM
You're way further ahead than most. At least you plan on flying in. Most people ask how far the hike is.

Thanks! That gave me a good chuckle. I didn't want to slap a question on here without doing everything I can to educate myself first.
(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?17844-warnniklz)

BRvalley
07-11-2018, 04:30 PM
not much of a caribou hunter myself (not yet anyways lol)...but cool website, I hope you are successful and we can read about your adventure...good luck!

jennylyyy
07-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Coincidentally had this very conversation this morning with a friend while out with the dogs. Do some practicing with your compass and make sure you have a good gps. His relatives have done the hunt twice - all day on horseback to get in... The one novice in the group got disoriented and lost. They needed Search and Rescue to finally get him out. Apparently when you climb to the highest spot to look around and get your bearings, everything looks the same in all directions. Neither hunt filled a tag. The caribou numbers are really low or they are getting smarter and hiding really well. Beautiful country though.

Appreciate the input, Elch Jager!
Glad you mentioned it because seasoned hunters keep telling me it was impossible to get lost, that there is only one lake and one mountain range but looking at the maps I had a hunch that wasn't the case. Especially for a newbie like myself.

Speaking of Caribou numbers getting really low, the BC chapter of the BHA (Backcountry hunter and anglers) is spreading awareness of this matter through a screening of "Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest" if you're not too far from the city it would be great to see you there.

Anyone else reading this if you would like to attend PM me for more details to avoid spamming or taking things off topic on this thread.

A bit more about the July 26th event:
"Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest is a cinematic journey into the tragically threatened world of endangered mountain caribou whose home is the world’s largest remaining inland temperate rainforest. Critical human and political choices will ultimately decide the fate of this stunning ecosystem, which spans from the US, through much of the Kootenays, north to the Yellowhead Highway."

jennylyyy
07-11-2018, 04:44 PM
not much of a caribou hunter myself (not yet anyways lol)...but cool website, I hope you are successful and we can read about your adventure...good luck!

Thanks, BRvalley for the support. I'm shitting bricks because it's grizzly country but also excited as hell for the adventure and the thought of stocking my freezer with good eating meat. Oh, there will be pictures and one hell of a story to share :)

srupp
07-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Hmm big grizzlies out there plus big caribou..always seen caribou every flight.surprising how many are in amongst tge trees.
The complete herd disapeared for 1 year but came back. .a couple of HBC hunters shot 2 heavy antlered bou 4 years ago..
Go earlier imo.
Srupp

gcreek
07-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Appreciate the input, Elch Jager!
Glad you mentioned it because seasoned hunters keep telling me it was impossible to get lost, that there is only one lake and one mountain range but looking at the maps I had a hunch that wasn't the case. Especially for a newbie like myself.

Speaking of Caribou numbers getting really low, the BC chapter of the BHA (Backcountry hunter and anglers) is spreading awareness of this matter through a screening of "Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest" if you're not too far from the city it would be great to see you there.

Anyone else reading this if you would like to attend PM me for more details to avoid spamming or taking things off topic on this thread.

A bit more about the July 26th event:
"Last Stand: The Vanishing Caribou Rainforest is a cinematic journey into the tragically threatened world of endangered mountain caribou whose home is the world’s largest remaining inland temperate rainforest. Critical human and political choices will ultimately decide the fate of this stunning ecosystem, which spans from the US, through much of the Kootenays, north to the Yellowhead Highway."

Predators in this area are a far greater threat that habitat as you will find if you make the connection I gave you.

Rotorwash
07-11-2018, 10:11 PM
The Itcha Ilgachuz park looks like one heck of an adventure. Ive only spent time south of anahim so this talk really intrigues me. Where is there to fly into aside from Itcha lake? Looks like a great place to whack a giant black bear.

Citori54
07-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Had the same draw last year...PM sent.

jennylyyy
07-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Thinking about it as well, but I'll save that experience for next spring. Heard fall bear wasn't good eating nor the fur would be nice to tan. Will get some wolf tags though! I'm not sure...I know you can take horses in but the lake is kind of everyone's starting point from what I've read.

As gcreek mentioned, there's a lot of predators in the area eating away at the Caribou. Mainly due to the fact we've wacked down half the old growth trees so they have nowhere to hide....but that's another story.

jennylyyy
07-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Thanks, everyone for recommending we go early! I think that's the game plan so far. Fly in 1 day before opening day. Set up camp and start scouting.

srupp
07-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Hmm most will fly in but some have used the old wagon road in from the north east.no motorized vehicles.
Most hunters start by the lake..
Steven

Fella
07-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Thinking about it as well, but I'll save that experience for next spring. Heard fall bear wasn't good eating nor the fur would be nice to tan. Will get some wolf tags though! I'm not sure...I know you can take horses in but the lake is kind of everyone's starting point from what I've read.

As gcreek mentioned, there's a lot of predators in the area eating away at the Caribou. Mainly due to the fact we've wacked down half the old growth trees so they have nowhere to hide....but that's another story.

Fall bear is good eating so long as they aren’t eating salmon. Mountain bears are usually gorging on berries in the later summer/early fall.

Blockcaver
07-12-2018, 03:42 PM
I agree that fall berry eating black bears are excellent eating. I’d help out the moose and caribou and shoot one.

jennylyyy
11-02-2018, 03:20 PM
I met two hunters while we were flying out, Mark and Adam? Would love to connect with you guys to hear about how your hunt went! Please DM me!

For those that are curious, here's a published story of our epic adventure:

https://www.chasingfood.club/articles/journal-of-mountain-hunting-chasing-food-woodland-caribou

srupp
11-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm WOW..your a SHE..regardless well done GREAT bull..epically told with humour and honesty..refreshing..
congradulations

cheers
steven

elch jager
11-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Awesome hunt Jenny! A very good read - I will share it with my daughter for inspiration.

Jordan f.
11-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Great job! Congrats!

Citori54
11-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Congratulations.Went on that hunt last year and unfortunately turned down a legal bull the first morning and didn't see another one the rest of the trip. That hunt is challenging on foot for sure, well done!!!

todbartell
11-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Great story thanks for posting it up

scoutlt1
11-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!

Blockcaver
11-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Congrats on a dandy caribou and hard earned meat supply!!!

45freezer
11-03-2018, 08:16 AM
Congratulations Jenny, looks like an awesome trip, super happy for you. Now go out and get that bear! ;)

srthomas75
11-03-2018, 09:16 AM
that was well written. [ kind of a different angle than most hunter recap stories ]. also good on you for going big on the type of trip for a person new to hunting. There are many that won't experience a fly in hunt ever. [ for various reasons]

CraigOC
11-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Great story, well written and presented. Congratulations on a fantastic hunt.

jennylyyy
11-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Indeed I am! Thank you so much for reaching out and the guidance prior to our hunt.

jennylyyy
11-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Thank you so much for reading! Happy to hear you can use the article as inspiration for your daughter. Hope she enjoyed it as well.

cuervosail
11-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Congratulations on the 'bou and a well-written, 'from the heart' story.