PDA

View Full Version : Henry Arms AR-7 review?

revyhunter
07-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Henry Amrs AR-7? I'm thinking of picking one up just to pack around while hiking and for picking off small game while big game hunting. I've read pretty good reviews but thought I'd reach out here.

IslandWanderer
07-05-2018, 09:41 PM
I had an ar-7 25 + years ago. IMO clunky and gimmicky design. Mine had poor accuracy.

Edit: mine was a charter arms.

Livewire322
07-06-2018, 08:19 AM
They all seem cheap and gimmicky whenever I’ve handled them. Get a Chiappas little badger or a backpacker 10/22

BromBones
07-06-2018, 09:43 AM
I've handled one. Nice & compact but felt cheap, I don't know if I'd trust one to hold up. The Ruger 10/22 takedown is a solid little gun as is the Marlin version, can't remember the model name.

The Chiappa little badger as mentioned above is very good, as is the double badger (22/410 over under). It's a little heavier, but having the 410 is pretty handy.

Mark-R
07-06-2018, 10:49 AM
My gf has a Henry AR-7. Semi-auto is fun to shoot but the action may not cycle properly with quieter subsonic rounds.
My buddy carries a Chiappa Little Badger while deer hunting and uses the quieter rounds for grouse.
We use the AR-7 mostly for plinking, sometimes toss it in the truck if heading out on backroads. It's pretty accurate and a nice self contained package.

Mosin
07-06-2018, 10:52 AM
My gf has a Henry AR-7. Semi-auto is fun to shoot but the action may not cycle properly with quieter subsonic rounds.
My buddy carries a Chiappa Little Badger while deer hunting and uses the quieter rounds for grouse.
We use the AR-7 mostly for plinking, sometimes toss it in the truck if heading out on backroads. It's pretty accurate and a nice self contained package.

I wouldn't recommend you use subsonic ammo on grouse, I had a couple get away on me when I used CCI quiets so I stopped using them.

buckshot
07-06-2018, 05:48 PM
I have a Savage Little Rascal that is a tack driver! So much fun to pack around!

boxhitch
07-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Take it for what it is, a survival or emergency package, or just a handy piece to pull out of the boat, sled,quad,trunk etc
AR-7 or the Papoose stock feels awkward because of its shape as a container for the action. mag and barrel
Function and accuracy are suitable for its purpose, sights are coarse, trigger pull is rough
Not sure that a pure SHTF rifle should be a semi-auto, make sure you have the manual handy for maintenance

Had a Papoose and used it on grouse and a lynx, timing was right while out on the sled

Mikey66
07-06-2018, 08:30 PM
I almost did not buy one based on reviews. But now I wonder if most of the critics have actually owned a Henry AR7, or based their opinion on pure conjecture.

I was getting frustrated with my 10/22 ttd (variable accuracy and a 7% faliure rate), so despite all the negative feedback I bought the Henry.
Comfortable to aim and shoot, despite its bulbous stock. Smaller to pack. Reasonable accuracy (2" at 50m br or 3-4" standing), less than 1% faliure rate with thousands of rounds fired mostly 40gr rn, standard or high velocity ammo (subsonic won't cycle the action).
Maybe I just got a "good one"
YMMV

Brez
07-06-2018, 09:49 PM
I have one and find it's pretty accurate and fairly reliable. the hotter the rounds, the better. It does feel cheap, but I can get over that and it weighs nothing. I don't use it enough.

Firstblood
07-06-2018, 10:17 PM
Lots of plastic on it and as has been said it can be picky with ammo. Nice that its a repeater and it floats from what ive heard, but I bought a little badger 22 wmr instead, its all metal except the paracord/knife I added. It takes up less space than a ar7 and even though its a 22 wmr I shoot subsonic 22lr through it no problem, pops the spruce grooose, I keep the 22wmr for bunnies or bigger and it takes up so little space I always take it with me in my pack when I have a big game rifle in my hands.
Little badger=cheap, reliable, Light/small, versitile ammo choices.
https://i.imgur.com/d4PcKGY.jpg