PDA

View Full Version : Hide destroyed at tannery

hickman
07-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Hi forum....
just got news that my goat hide from last season (trophy size billy) got ruined at the tannery. It was my first goat and hide that I was ever gonna get done.
The taxidermist I used is highly reputable and came recommended from all sides - not their fault, I think, as they do not do the tanning of course.
Anyone had the same thing happen to them? What are your thoughts on this? What would you do?
Just want to get some opinions and thoughts.

07-04-2018, 10:26 AM
if the Taxi is as reputable as he sounds ask his opinion.
it sounds like one of those things that would be hard to fix ...

butcher
07-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Hopefully he’ll pay for replacement cape.

Salmon Belly
07-04-2018, 11:35 AM
What happens at the tannery is out of the taxidermist's control, and sometimes crap happens. It's really unfortunate but I think it's part of the risk of the tanning process. Taxi probably has you sign a form that says you are aware of the risk and he's not responsible. I bet the taxi is feeling pretty bad about it as they know what these trophies take to bring off the mountain...

SB

Brez
07-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Hopefully he’ll pay for replacement cape.
Seriously doublt that taxidermist is responsible for tannery mishap

Confused1
07-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Seriously doublt that taxidermist is responsible for tannery mishap

Im resposible for the performance of my sub contractors...why should a taxidermist be any differnt.

Unless it is stated somewhere that the taxidermist is not resposible.

firebird
07-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Im resposible for the performance of my sub contractors...why should a taxidermist be any differnt.

x2

I agree, his tannery he works with = his problem

scotty30-06
07-04-2018, 02:09 PM
X3......and very sorry to hear man....thats a heart breaker

Salmon Belly
07-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Check what you sign when you drop off an animal -- that's where you would be signing that you assume the risk of damage at the tannery.

SB

Carrollizer
07-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Coulda sworn there was a thread a while back like this about someone's moose or elk, never found out what happened to his trophy.
Hopefully you get something back to cut your loss

Linksman313
07-04-2018, 03:17 PM
What was the name of the Taxi/Tannery instead of all the cryptic talk, would like to know where NOT to take my next cape/hide?
Thanks

elknut
07-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Exactly how was your cape ruined?...Did the hair slip ?...Did you prep the cape properly ?...Was all the ears and lips turned properly?..A warm cape put in a plastic bag would cause slippage ...How long from shooting the animal till it was brought to the taxidermist?...did the taxidermist turn the lips and ears and flesh it out?...When I sheep hunted and was back in on Aug 1st and killed my ram I did all the proper fleshing and turning myself...Hung it over a bush to air dry and hiked out the next day ...Had salt...The taxidermists kind ...fine powder and rubbed it into the cape..My taxidermist gave me a lesson and showed me how to correctly flesh a cape and skin it off the animal..Too many guys bring the whole shebang in unskinned and are asking for a ruined cape..When they first had a bison hunt in northern BC my taxidermist had about 3-4 bulls that weren't taken care off and the hair slipped on all of them..Just because its cold doesnt mean anything..A hide is a great insulator ..It keeps heat in and cold out..Bacteria can grow and bye bye hair..Might be wrong but can't see a tannery making the hair slip when he does hundreds or thousands of hides ...Hope I'm wrong but sometimes we are our worst enemy....Dennis

Rackmastr
07-04-2018, 08:14 PM
What was the name of the Taxi/Tannery instead of all the cryptic talk, would like to know where NOT to take my next cape/hide?
Thanks

If you created a list of every tannery or taxidermist who had experienced a cape slipping, my guess is your choices left would be very very inexperienced choices or just extremely lucky ones. But, a guy can dream....

digger dogger
07-04-2018, 09:30 PM
How was it destroyed?
Hair slipped?

adriaticum
07-04-2018, 09:57 PM
You may just have to go and get another goat.

untilthelastbeat
07-05-2018, 06:42 AM
That's a shitty deal for sure but honestly other than the cost of a replacement Cape and the work of hauling it out it's still replaceable in the end and will look the same.. atleast it wasnt the horns that got ruined. Still a heart break but you will get your mount in the end. Hope it all gets sorted for ya

hickman
07-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys. I got the hide to the taxi within less than a week. He said it looked perfect. Damage happened at the tannery, a few other hides (other species) got damaged as well. Apparently issue in their fumigation. Tannery took responsibility as far as I was told. Some of it can be salvaged, taxi is very helpful.

Linksman313 I am not cryptic. I wanted feedback but not here to publicly ruin someone's business or blame them as it is not their direct fault.

There are more goats. I will get another one. I have my 10.5" horns and will get whatever can be salvaged from the hide.

Thanks for all feedback.

elknut
07-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't your fault...Dennis

Avalanche123
07-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys. I got the hide to the taxi within less than a week. He said it looked perfect. Damage happened at the tannery, a few other hides (other species) got damaged as well. Apparently issue in their fumigation. Tannery took responsibility as far as I was told. Some of it can be salvaged, taxi is very helpful.

Linksman313 I am not cryptic. I wanted feedback but not here to publicly ruin someone's business or blame them as it is not their direct fault.

There are more goats. I will get another one. I have my 10.5" horns and will get whatever can be salvaged from the hide.

Thanks for all feedback.

Refreshing attitude. :)
Nice horns too!

Salmon Belly
07-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks for all feedback.

Now that's a classy guy

SB

Brez
07-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all feedback.

Hey, if you haven't hacked the skull up yet, it would make a very cool euromount.

hickman
07-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Had to cut the scull cap on the mountain. It was a torture 20-hour day and haul back to camp. Not able to carry more weight than the hide, scull cap and all the meat possible with two guys.

Hey, if you haven't hacked the skull up yet, it would make a very cool euromount.

digger dogger
07-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Shit deal on the cape.
Almost as shitty as a 20hr loaded down walk.
Good attitude on going for another.
And 10.5 billy, wow man, I know it'd take me a bit to get over what you got going on with the cape.
But ur positive attitude is something to be admired.

Linksman313
07-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Great to hear a little more info about what exactly went down at the tannery, worked in one throughout HS and was wondering if it was my Uncles tannery the taxi was dealing with. Glad you are moving on, post a pic of those 10.5's I would love to see them, great trophy.

ramcam
07-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Hickman, you can purchase some really cool synthetic euro skulls now a days. Might be one other way to go with the horns, i had some pickup moose horns
done on one and they look very real.

hickman
07-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Great to hear a little more info about what exactly went down at the tannery, worked in one throughout HS and was wondering if it was my Uncles tannery the taxi was dealing with. Glad you are moving on, post a pic of those 10.5's I would love to see them, great trophy.

Ha, would love to post pics but had camera fail as well. I have memories and am hooked on goats. They are my favourite animal. I don't know which tannery and what exactly the issue was. I was told fumigation issue and moths got into some of the hides.

beaverhunter69
07-06-2018, 12:37 PM
The taxi I take my stuff to does all their own tanning as they weren't happy with the result coming back from the outsourcing to a tannery, something to ask about to your next taxidermist if they do it in house or not.

eastkoothunter
07-06-2018, 01:45 PM
I had my goat hide slip at the tannery, but it was from poor field management. Luckily, my taxidermist could make some touch ups.