PDA

View Full Version : Tips on making boots fit better with lacing technique

jaybe14
07-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Hi guys I just got a pair of hanwag alaskans and didn't quite fit the way i was planning in a long hike.

I tried the lacing tips in the following videos and this reeally made a difference in how they fit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OSlxzRJecT0

https://youtu.be/SOE28brAcEc

tigrr
07-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Interesting. 40 years ago we would dunk our hiking boot totally under water and wear a good pair of wool socks and wear the boot all day till dry. Did the same with leather work boots. I guess the key word is leather. Today, most hiking boots has no leather in it.
Back then it was all sewn together not glued together.
Hanwag Alaskans are nice boots.

Drillbit
07-03-2018, 10:39 PM
I’d go to the hockey skate guy near you

skates used to be leather boots and would break in over time
new skates need to be punched out and hit with a heat gun to fit right

an experienced skate guy should be able to make them feel good

nit expensive either
my kids last skates took 3 rounds of punching out. $20
totally worth it

elknut
07-04-2018, 08:30 PM
That's a real interesting tidbit Drillbit....Thanks ...Something to consider...Dennis

Ron.C
07-04-2018, 08:41 PM
I also have a set of Hanwag Alaskans. I have very flat feet and need custom orthodics. Always a pain to get a any footwear fit and I've been through allot. Did the same thing. Tried some different lacing techniques and bang, found a way to lace my boots that make the difference with my "difficult" feet. I have 6 years on these boots now and walked through two sets of soles. Love em

elknut
07-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Thanks Jaybe 14....I'm always up to learning something ..Very interesting videos ..Will keep for reference..Dennis

kebes
07-05-2018, 12:35 PM
I also have a set of Hanwag Alaskans. I have very flat feet and need custom orthodics. Always a pain to get a any footwear fit and I've been through allot. Did the same thing. Tried some different lacing techniques and bang, found a way to lace my boots that make the difference with my "difficult" feet. I have 6 years on these boots now and walked through two sets of soles. Love em

I have the exact same issue and wear the alaskans... how are you lacing them???

Ron.C
07-05-2018, 12:49 PM
I found I had too much pressure over the bridge of my foot that causes the foot to ache. Happens with all footwear for me. If I loosen them off over the bridge, the rest of the boot would feel loose and sloppy after a couple km. So now I just tighten the bridge till it is just snug. I use a lock lace on the remaining lacing, progressively tightening each lace more than the one before it. This works for me and I can hike miles and miles with zero discomfort or requirement to readjust. My podiatrist actually recommended this to me when I had my last pair of orthodics made.

kebes
07-05-2018, 01:02 PM
I found I had too much pressure over the bridge of my foot, causing the foot to ache. Happens with all footwear for me. If I loosen them off over the bridge, the rest of the boot would feel loose and sloppy after a couple km. So now I just tighten the bridge till it is snug. I use a lock lace on the remaining lacing, progressively tightening each lace more than the one before it. This works for me and I can hike miles and miles with zero discomfort or requirement to readjust. My podiatrist actually recommended this to me when I had my last pair of orthodics made.

good to know. I walked ten k with soaked socks (stupid gators) with 70 lbs and the finally seemed to break in around my foot but then the insoles were shot. Been trying a flat/thinner insole which has been helping but I found the same thing as you. The outside edge of my foot would ache.. I’d loosen off the boot and that’d fix the ache but that’s how the insoles got pooched.... I didn’t have full feeling in my toes for almost a month and a half because the insoles ‘crunched’ on me before we finally carried our elk out.

Ourea
07-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Tip for anyone looking to expedite the break in process for boots that don't fit quite right.
(I will forgo why a person would by boots by brand over fit)

Grab your kettle and steam your boots.
Lace them up and go for a walk.
Rinse and repeat.

The steamed heat will relax the plastic heal counter in the boot as well as making the leather soften. As the plastic counters cool they will take the shape of your heel better (and arch if there is a counter there). Same for the leather component. Softens it up and allows for a very quick break in period.

Skate shop with a boot press is a great option for stubborn spots to punch out as Drillbit mentioned.
I would steam first (cracked a heel counter in some Meindls punching them out cold).

jaybe14
07-05-2018, 06:31 PM
I have the exact same issue and wear the alaskans... how are you lacing them???

Hi kebes
I ended up lacing the front toe part about medium tightness, then i did the double over knot thing in the video on the lace before the heel locking lace (that sits lower and offset). Then i reefed on the 3x so it was tight i pulled, then pulled a little more and then one last time. Then i tied another double loops knot thing after that... Essentially so the heel was loops was locked in place super tight. Then, i looped the following lace in medium tightness, another knot to lock that off.. And the top 2 laces i actually leaned my leg forward a little to simulate the ankle bending to climb a hill and tied the 2 top somewhat loose.

I also adddd a pair of very thin socks under my thick merino ones which helped a little but the lacing did most of the trick!

jaybe14
07-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Thanks Jaybe 14....I'm always up to learning something ..Very interesting videos ..Will keep for reference..Dennis

No problem Dennis, i thought the same i love free little tricks that go a long way! Esp when u buy a pair of 450$ boots haha

Red_Mist
07-05-2018, 06:45 PM
This is an interesting thread. I have a pair of mountaineering boots that just destroy my feet. I've put some mileage on them but tend to hesitate now. I'll try the suggestions on here.

swampthing
07-05-2018, 06:52 PM
I ended up with horrible heal blisters in my new $700 boots! 604ksmith showed me a way to lace up by going from the corner, or first speed lace all the way to the top speedlace, and then lace them back down and tie them in the middle. That combined with running a liner sock has cured the heel blisters in this expensive boots. And. because this has happened I tried another boot, the hanwap trapper top. Havent worn them yet but they seem to fit my feet better than my high end mountain boots.