PDA

View Full Version : Hunting ATV

375shooter
07-03-2018, 06:03 PM
I've never owned an ATV before, but am thinking about getting one to use mostly for hunting. Would like to get some advice on what would be a suitable size, and if there are certain brands/models specifically known for reliability. I'd be using it for scouting trips, as well as for 1 to 2 week hunts, in places like the Chowade River, Halfway River and Redfern Lake areas. There would be at least one other ATV along as well, with one rider plus gear, per ATV. Might also pull a lightly loaded trailer on some trips. Not interested in a side by side.

I hear that Honda make reliable machines. The simplicity of the 420 Rancher seems appealing, but the question is if it's ENOUGH machine, and being a solid rear axle, if the ride would be smooth enough. I'd probably buy used, and would want something fairly new. Budget is up to about $8000. Am just in the planning phase right now. Any info would be much appreciated.

elknut
07-03-2018, 08:36 PM
I'm a Can Am guy ...Had a 350 Big Bear yamaha first quad and it was a POS...Went to Can Am in 2007 and loved it..650 cc ..Kept it till 2012 and traded it in on a brand new 650 with power steering...Love the dual cylinder and efi...It will pull anything..The ride is fantastic and I've only had to service both quads ..No breakdown issues..Another consideration is service..If you don't have the service then it can be a problem..In the Peace where I hunt I see lots of Can Ams a few Yamahas and various older quads ..I have the two up Max..Not into Polaris or Honda ...11 years a Can Am guy and I can depend on my machine going and hauling what I want ...Good economy and dependable...Dennis

Stone C. Killer
07-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Honda 420 is a beauty

Bag1
07-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Ive been a polaris sportsman guy for a very long time, just purchased my 3rd one last week, had a 1996 400 then a 2006 500 and now an 2018 570sp touring, I have never had any issues whatsoever.
watch a few youtube reviews and comparisons (dirttrax tv usually has some good ones) and make your own decisions, its the same as the old chev ford dodge thing everyone has a different opinion and experience.
mine with polaris has been excellent, all my hunting buddies also have polaris and in our camp there are 5 polaris machines 4 sportsmans and 1 ranger

BCBUSHMONKEY
07-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Honda rincon, have never had a problem 11 yrs old and running strong. HONDA!!!!!

Rupert Retired
07-03-2018, 11:57 PM
I went through what you are doing back in 2008, resarched all the quad rides, put in hours trying to decide which bike to buy. I have been huntiug for years, but had never had a quad, so did all kinds of research. Ended up with a Polaris 500 Sportsman. One of the selling features, besides all the handling and stuff, was that most reviews rated this bike as the most comfortable! Since buying this bike, I have seen that Polaris is trying to be on top of their game, modifying their bikes as appropriate, and updating as necessary. So in 2016 I sold my 2008 500 Sportsman and bought a Polaris RZR 900 trail side by side. Never a regret from me from buying either bike!

HappyJack
07-04-2018, 09:06 AM
I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550xp now, and had a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO before that. Never had any issues with either of them. I think you will find the prices on them favorable compared to the other brands if your shopping for a new one. If you get at least a 500 you can pull quite a bit. I pull a small trailer with a whole moose on it, or I can drag them across a logging cut [ungutted] if necessary.

Ron.C
07-04-2018, 09:57 AM
I have a 2012 yamaha kodiak 450. Not the fanciest machine but is a workhorse. It is also a little smaller than some comperable machines.

drum_boy101
07-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Picked up a 2018 Can-Am Outlander Max 570 XT this spring. Love it! Tonnes of power, lots of room for two, have about 50 hours on it now and no complaints at all.

Ubertuber
07-04-2018, 10:32 AM
An independent rear suspension Honda Rubicon 500 may be one to go look at if you're looking for something comfortable that will last 20 years or so. You're $8000 budget is pretty close to the price of a new one.
Belt drive ATV's suck and blow at the same time. Get a real transmission, get a Honda. :)

RackStar
07-04-2018, 10:37 AM
That Honda is a work horse. Solid axle and all. If it’s strictly for hunting you can’t really go wrong with that machine.
I was looking at that machine a year ago, but for 500 more I was able to score a new 2016 Kodiak 700.

Stay clear of Polaris and can am...at least I do but end of the day feel free to dump your money on what ever you want.

If you want to get in and out out of the bush without being towed, never hesitate to buy a Honda or a Yamaha product.

This will be another long Chevy vs Ford debate from all HBC experts
but we all know dodge makes the best diesel and Toyota makes the best gasser

Sportster
07-04-2018, 11:53 AM
I have a can am 650 xt max. Love it. 2 sets of tires, the stock Carlisle are great and a set of ITP Blackwater evaluations, one size up, which I put on when we go to northern Alberta. Chew through that Alberta gumbo like nothing.

beaverhunter69
07-05-2018, 02:22 PM
An independent rear suspension Honda Rubicon 500 may be one to go look at if you're looking for something comfortable that will last 20 years or so. You're $8000 budget is pretty close to the price of a new one.
Belt drive ATV's suck and blow at the same time. Get a real transmission, get a Honda. :)

++++++++++1 Also you can get a rancher with IRS now. Solid rear axle's do have their advantages though if you were to go that route.

ACE
07-05-2018, 03:46 PM

Gears! Gears! Gears!
Honda has 'em .....
Reliable, good service network, good re-sale value, and no belts!
ps ...... belts are for holding your pants up. :-D:mrgreen:

ACE
07-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Picked up a 2018 Can-Am Outlander Max 570 XT this spring. Love it! Tonnes of power, lots of room for two, have about 50 hours on it now and no complaints at all.

Sold my 1990 Honda 350 4Trax a month ago .... had about 28 years on it and no complaints at all.

375shooter
07-05-2018, 04:07 PM
That Honda is a work horse. Solid axle and all. If it’s strictly for hunting you can’t really go wrong with that machine.
I was looking at that machine a year ago, but for 500 more I was able to score a new 2016 Kodiak 700.

Stay clear of Polaris and can am...at least I do but end of the day feel free to dump your money on what ever you want.

If you want to get in and out out of the bush without being towed, never hesitate to buy a Honda or a Yamaha product.

This will be another long Chevy vs Ford debate from all HBC experts
but we all know dodge makes the best diesel and Toyota makes the best gasser

Why is Can Am bad?

375shooter
07-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Lots of positive comments about Honda. From what I gather, both the Honda 420 and 500 have about the same amount of power, and they seem to be pretty far behind most of the other machines out there. I like the idea of the 5 speed transmission, but how does the Honda perform in the bush, with the weight of some gear, going through mud and up steeps hills, etc.? For the guys who are running them, would you say there's enough power there, or do you always wish for more?

stinkyduck
07-05-2018, 06:29 PM
I have a couple of rubicons. They seem pretty good to me. It pretty much keeps up to those pooooolais' with my 100 lb k9 on the back, and a big old action packer. Put it in full auto and drives like a car. Being a dirt bike guy from years past, they are not over powered by any means. You aint going to wheelie them. Buuuuutt, it's a Honda!!

Jrax
07-05-2018, 08:23 PM
I picked up a Yamaha griz 700 and marlon trailer and use the same trails your talking about going on. If you are pulling one trailer with wall tent, stove, lots of gear and a moose thru potentially big mud holes, muskeg, gumbo or 1ft snow fall with ice over mud pits etc.... more power is a big plus. If you are 2 guys pulling 2 trailers with weight divvied up with 2 animals on way out a 500 will probably be fine. Some of the mud holes with gumbo get very sticky. Everyone must have a working winch.

northernbc
07-05-2018, 08:26 PM
2009 can am 500 5000 km on it without a single problem

srupp
07-05-2018, 09:17 PM
This month I will be receiving my 2019 Honda Rubicon. .500 cc..independent rear suspension, high..low gear ranges, power steering, fuel injection, in 25 years never been stuck or stranded...reliable. .im pretty big..no problems in going where I need.
Go for steel gears not belts.not a fan of the Rincon. ..
Good luck.
Srupp

Takla
07-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Bought my first Suzuki King quad in 92' hunting off the alaska hwy 30 k in and it never failed us,hauled out at least 2 Big Bull moose every yr,thru a few tires here and there hauling out moose halves thru submerged swamped logged out area's but other than that never missed a beat and always got us out the parked trucks.Retired that one in 08' and bought a brand new Suzuki KQ 750 cc and made the mistake of selling it a coupe yrs back when Dad passed and figured i wouldnt be hunting much anylonger but im happy to report just bought another 750cc KQ a couple months back,used with 130 hrs on it in great condition ...gonna need it with 2 bull draws this yr

beaverhunter69
07-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Lots of positive comments about Honda. From what I gather, both the Honda 420 and 500 have about the same amount of power, and they seem to be pretty far behind most of the other machines out there. I like the idea of the 5 speed transmission, but how does the Honda perform in the bush, with the weight of some gear, going through mud and up steeps hills, etc.? For the guys who are running them, would you say there's enough power there, or do you always wish for more?

Top speed is just about 88-90km/h full throttle pinned, but you will only be doing that on logging roads, and not trails, is that fast enough? Up to you to judge.

In my opinion you can haul pretty much anything out of the bush with them, I run a honda foreman 500, multiple times I have had a deer on the front rack while riding 2 up with my bro plus all our gear that's a lot of weight and no issues. I run mud bugs for tires and they handle any sort of trail and are great in the mud.

And I have seen pics of guys hauling out moose with 350's.

Ubertuber
07-06-2018, 03:10 PM
My first ATV was a 1998 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4 manual 5 speed. This thing wasn't the most powerful ATV, but due to it's light weight, it was more than capable of doing what I asked, and I asked a lot. It was very dependable, got great mileage, and was a very stable ride. I sold it to my neighbor and he is still using it. Top speed 50kph.

My second ATV was a Yamaha Kodiak 499 automatic belt drive. Nice running motor, but had a tippy and a squirrly ride. My buddies that owned similar machines thought it rode just fine, but it sucked compared to the old Kawasaki. I was new to belt drives, so didn't put much thought into if I liked it or not. Top speed 60kph

My next ATV was a 2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700. Nice machine for sure, but it was a pig on fuel despite being fuel injected. Normally I don't care too much about mileage, but when the nearest gas station is 5+ hours away, it becomes an issue. It drank 4/5th a gerry can per fill. This is when I realized how shitty the belt drive was for me. I always had to be on the throttle no matter going up a hill (obvious) or down a hill. So, for me, always having to spool up the transmission and rev the motor just to go down a hill or a deactivation became an annoyance. I recalled my old Kawasaki manual transmission where I could upshift to 4th or 5th and just idle down the road or hills, or go through a deactivation in 1st while barely on the throttle. Nice and quiet. No need to rev the shit out of the motor while going down a hill. Top speed 90+ kph

After deciding I wanted an actual transmission, not a belt drive, I looked at Hondas. I read the naysayers regarding the solid axle Honda's, but lo and behold they have independent suspension on some models. Honda motor, manual transmission, independent suspension, power steering, diff lock, fuel injected. Looked pretty good to me.
I've had the Honda Rubicon for 2 years now and am very happy with it. Now I can upshift into 5th and idle on down the hills. It gets crazy good mileage too. Top speed 70+ kph.

All four ATV's were capable of handling what I threw at it. Pulling moose, carrying gear, steep hills, and mud. No problem.

northof49
07-06-2018, 10:59 PM
I have only ever used hondas for 30yrs for work and play and never an issue. Have used my ‘94 350 for years overloaded with 2 quarters, gear and rider many times. Always worked like a charm. Last fall picked up another honda 500. Went with solid rear axle and manual gear jammer. KISS principle.....keep it simple stupid. Will outlast me and will be trouble free.

ACE
07-07-2018, 06:19 AM
Have a pair of '99 Honda 450 Foremans .... They came in three colours ..... mustard, ketchup, and relish!
Both are solid rear axles with dual rear shocks.
One is an ES, and the other is a S model.
Have spent my quad time towing other quads with broken belts. Many carry extra belts with them. Honda owner/riders don't carry extra gears with them.
Honda may not be the fastest, most powerful or glamorous quads ..... but, they are dependable, with a proven design. You really can't go wrong with Honda.

barry1974w
07-07-2018, 07:30 AM
I currently run a kodiak 450 and a griz 550, I’ve been very happy with both to this point. I’ve never had belt issues with these machines, but I have been with others that have had problems. I used Polaris ATV’s at work for years, the price point is attractive, but I don’t like them. Can am goes like hell, but the price is scary.
My buddy used to have a kodiak 450 and his partner had a rancher 420, on the same mountain trips the Yamaha would use almost exactly twice as much gas as the Honda. It’s something to consider.
My dad has a 91 four trax 300, tires, the occasional spark plus just cause, oil changes, and I had to reupholster the seat for him. That’s it, ever..... And I’ve used that old machine to haul some huge loads, first gear and go. Once had two buddies sitting on the front rack to try to keep the tires close to the ground while towing a huge bull moose through a clear cut.
It’s all your preference and budget. You should be happy enough with anything as long as you stick to big brands. If buying used try to stay away from bikes that have been used for hard core mudding or work.

my .02

Brno22F
07-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Every tree planting outfit I have worked with over the last 10 years runs Hondas. They get used really hard packing boxes of trees onto cut blocks, through the slash and through water bars and trenches where culverts have bee removed. TOUGH, RELIABLE and almost bomb proof. They handle the weight just fine. They just don't ride as nice as some of the other machines out there.
I have a 420 Honda myself for hunting and chores around the property. Another plus to this machine is the relatively small size. It can be man handled where a lot of the 600-700 size machines are too big for such efforts unless you are Hulk Hogan.

Wentrot
07-07-2018, 05:21 PM
I have a Yamaha kodiak 700. Great machine. Mind you it’s my first ATV so can’t compare to others.

Farmer001
07-08-2018, 07:41 AM
2007 rubicon, solid axle. 12000 miles with no major issues. Bushings/ steering linkage getting sloppy, 2 sets of tires that's it If I was to do it again , power steering and fuel injection. Very stable and predictable in off camber situations as compared to independent suspension bikes. With that rides like a tank and you can't go as fast as the others down the trail. Takes a lot to tip over compared to a buddy's grizzly that I can flop over looking at it for some reason. Holdback going down steep inclines is unreal in low gear loaded with a critter parts hanging/ strapped to every place. Just never get water into oil or your gonna pay.

bighornbob
07-08-2018, 09:26 AM
I have a 2013 Yamaha Kodiak 450. I was going to get a Honda or Yamaha when I was buying went with the Kodiak as it was 3 inches shorter and i could close my tailgate on my truck (6'6 box). Not regretted the decision one bit.

When i tree planted in the early 90's we ran honda 250's and I have been on a machine that had four people on it with another couple boxes of trees and we were going down a logging road fast enough that i thought if one of us falls off we are going to hospital.

The salesman is going to try and tell you that the 450-500 dont have enough power and you should step up to a 700, 800 or a 1000. Dont listen to them. I can go almost 80kms a hour down a FSR and at that speed it down right scary. Not sure why you would want to go faster. Also when I bought mine the guy asked if I was going to be plowing snow and if so the 450 would not be able to do it. At the time I said no as we had a small driveway. He said if I was plowing I needed to get into a 700. They must be related to the salesman that tell you a 300wm is the minimum you should look at when hunting deer.

Well now we have a big driveway and I bought a plow for it. The limiting factor for snow removal is the plow and not the machine. Its shocking how big a snow pile I can push with the puny 450. I dont even put chains on it and only put it in 4x4 when pushing the big piles that i have made in the middle of the driveway.

I bought when our dollar was close to par and looked at getting a machine in the states. It was way cheaper then what some of the dealers wanted up here so defiantly look around. I found South Cariboo yamaha and the yamaha dealer in vernon to be only a 3-4 hundred dollars more then what I could in the states when you actually crunched the taxes and import etc. That said both dealers were easily at least a $1000 cheaper then buying here in kamloops or anywhere I phoned on the coast.

BHB

375shooter
07-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Some very useful info there, guys. Based on those excellent comments, I've decided on the Honda Rubicon. And instead of getting a used one, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a brand new one. I just have to decide on which model now. I'm leaning towards the DCT Deluxe. It should provide very reliable service for many years to come. My bro on the other hand, is getting a Can-Am Outlander 570.

beaverhunter69
07-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Some very useful info there, guys. Based on those excellent comments, I've decided on the Honda Rubicon. And instead of getting a used one, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a brand new one. I just have to decide on which model now. I'm leaning towards the DCT Deluxe. It should provide very reliable service for many years to come. My bro on the other hand, is getting a Can-Am Outlander 570.

Great job on going with the honda, it will outlast the Can-Am by many years, there is a reason you see 80's hondas still kicking around.

mike_69
10-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Good choice!!! If I ever decide to buy a newer ATV it will definitely be another Honda. My current ATV is a 1989 Honda Fourtrax 300, and although not fancy, and definitely not a power house, it has been extremely reliable over the years.

Drillbit
10-03-2018, 12:49 PM

You made a good decision. Rubicon's are great ATV's

There's a reason used Honda's are few and far between.

Downwindtracker2
10-03-2018, 01:14 PM
The guys who have had various brands and try a CanAms stick with the brand, which tells you something. Truth be told ,it's hard to get a truly bad ATV. I've worked on two Yamis and a Artic Cat in the bush. My '08 CanAm needs a screen in front of the rad like a Honda, it picks up grass seed. CanAms are famous for their ride , handling, and power. SkiDoo dealers are everywhere, unlike Yamaha. Get power steering !!

okas
10-03-2018, 04:40 PM
I have a 420 rancher 16000 k on it runs great . But my 1000 Can Am LTD with 28s is like just point me its a SXS just to much money and the fox air ride GREAT

okas
10-03-2018, 04:42 PM
BUT I WANT MY OLD HONDA 300 BACK :sad:

Frango
10-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Just for your info you can get a 420 Honda Rancher with IRS. Mine has hauled 4 Moose out of clear cuts..The Yamaha has had some front end collapsing issues but apparently Yamaha has fixed the issue. Can Am ,Polaris can have reliability issues .Suzuki I have heard are good but I have no first hand info as with Arctic cat and Kawasaki. My Honda is a 2009 Auto IRS with power steering, Canadian trail edition. I put a pull start on it and have done oil changes, that is it for extra costs.It is always a Ford vs Chev debate. People always think the quad they own is the best. I had a 2003 Foreman it was great as well.I just got a deal on the 2009 otherwise I would still be using the Foreman .Good luck.

Weatherby Fan
10-05-2018, 12:11 PM
I've never owned an ATV before, but am thinking about getting one to use mostly for hunting. Would like to get some advice on what would be a suitable size, and if there are certain brands/models specifically known for reliability. I'd be using it for scouting trips, as well as for 1 to 2 week hunts, in places like the Chowade River, Halfway River and Redfern Lake areas. There would be at least one other ATV along as well, with one rider plus gear, per ATV. Might also pull a lightly loaded trailer on some trips. Not interested in a side by side.

I hear that Honda make reliable machines. The simplicity of the 420 Rancher seems appealing, but the question is if it's ENOUGH machine, and being a solid rear axle, if the ride would be smooth enough. I'd probably buy used, and would want something fairly new. Budget is up to about $8000. Am just in the planning phase right now. Any info would be much appreciated.

showthread.php (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?121359-Best-All-Round-ATC) here's the thread with poll I did a Cpl years back when I was looking for an ATV,

I went with a Honda Rubicon 500, power steering, EFI and independent suspension are a total bonus for a ATV

I asked the mechanics at 3 different dealers and asked which one to buy, they all said buy Honda as they are so dam reliable, we just don't get them in for repairs....

Weatherby Fan
10-05-2018, 12:16 PM

This is it exactly, good choice

lowball
10-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Your bro will be happy with the Outlander, its twice the machine.

Boner
10-05-2018, 08:00 PM
BUT I WANT MY OLD HONDA 300 BACK :sad:

I had the pleasure of fixing one up this spring. I cheaped out and bought aftermarket cv boots, carb, and starter. Had it as close to new for way under $500. They are a great atv. Only issue left to fix, is the back brake cable sticks. So every time it goes into reverse, the brake cam on the rear axle needs to be tapped with a hammer or axe to get it back to slack.

PressurePoint
10-05-2018, 08:31 PM
I have been treated amazingly by my Suzuki king quad. But king quad, grizzly, pioneer yada yada all are good atvs. Some offer different things and such. I think maybe finding features you want aka power steering, fuel injected etc then find what models offer those creature comforts.

okas
10-06-2018, 09:35 AM
I had the pleasure of fixing one up this spring. I cheaped out and bought aftermarket cv boots, carb, and starter. Had it as close to new for way under $500. They are a great atv. Only issue left to fix, is the back brake cable sticks. So every time it goes into reverse, the brake cam on the rear axle needs to be tapped with a hammer or axe to get it back to slack.
first thing I do when fixing is put all the cables in a bucket of diesel MY argo ones are soaking now one more thing to fix :twisted:

REMINGTON JIM
10-06-2018, 10:11 AM
first thing I do when fixing is put all the cables in a bucket of diesel MY argo ones are soaking now one more thing to fix :twisted:

I have read that a GUY spends more time Repairing a ARGO then using it ! :icon_frow RJ

ACE
10-06-2018, 10:55 AM
I have read that a GUY spends more time Repairing a ARGO then using it ! :icon_frow RJ

:mrgreen: Ouch !

wickit
10-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Honda hands down in my books

Downwindtracker2
10-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Instead of looking at the brand, look the features. I like IRS, I've seen how much better IRS is than solid on the trail, 4 wheels vs 2. Power steering, I don't have it. Metal racks, these quads are more pack horse than racing horse. EFI , it works, unlike the sometimes of a carburetor. I'm a fan of wishbone front suspension over McPherson strut. Big gas tank, saves packing gas. Tires most quads come with are things that are black and round and that all that can be said about them. I even found a big difference between the deluxe Carlisle that the quad came with and the Maxis Big Horns. Good headlights. The big center lights are totally useless with gun boxes.

Gun boxes are something you have to design and build yourself. Or have built.

Buck
10-07-2018, 02:03 PM
2014 yamaha 550 Grizzly for me i would have been happy with that 420 rancher but the comfort level on the grizz is night and day better.Power steering awesome.

Downwindtracker2
10-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Short wheel bases mean tighter turns and easier back flips. Just about everyone I know has done either a back flip or a side roll. I'm talking about middle aged and seniors.

10-14-2018, 07:43 PM
Get one with a real transmission not a belt driven contraption,if your going to use it for hunting get the simplest one you dont need huge displacement.1997 Kawasaki 400 taken every ounce of abuse like a Honda but green

srupp
10-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Finished my first hunt wity new 2019 Honda rubicon 500..power steering is great..as is ekectronic fuel injection..and high low gears.,10 gears plus posilock..new Kolpin gun case..plus steel skid plates and 4 steel A arm steel protection, Warn 2500 provantage winch, plus Rigid 10 inch LED bar..
$$$$$$$ but it is an amazing ATV..couldnt find ample opportunity to give it a total workout in 12 days but love it so far.

Rear independent suspension is certainly different than solid rear axle..soaks up bumps.
Steven

ratherbefishin
10-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Servicing is just as important as what brand you buy..I have a Polaris 600 Sportsman, But unfortionately the dealer is more interested in selling new machines than servicing what he sold...took me a long time to locate a good mechanic ,but eventually I got the overheating problems sorted out.( long,expensive story) The dealer was useless, even when I asked (and paid for) a tune up,when was running rough and hard to start ,turned out they hadn’t, even replaced the back spark plug ,the neighbourhood garage guy had quads and figured that out...big problem when your dealer has no competition. On asking around I discovered my experience was not unique with this dealer...Right now,I have a Tracker sitting on my lower lot...I think I will put on some good off road tires and maybe give it a minimal lift without spending too much and see how that works out...I’m an old guy and not into extreme off road stuff,just low speed puttering around

one if the challenges is more areas are being shut down for ATVs and a licenced 4x4 tracker might work out