PDA

View Full Version : Bison hunting 7-57A

jg
07-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone. My hunting partner and I were lucky enough to get drawn for Bison in zone 7-57A for the last two weeks of October. I wanted to get perspectives from folks on whether to bring quads or sleds for transportation? Either way I need to buy or rent them. This is fine but I would hate to make the wrong choice! I would love to hear opinions from those experienced with the area and any other thoughts or comments are more than welcome!

S.W.A.T.
07-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Might need both that time of year.

Thunderstix
07-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Chances of needing a sled are slim to none, but there are no guarantees......nevertheless, I would not hesitate to drive 16 hours to get there and only have a quad with me.

PressurePoint
07-02-2018, 06:57 PM
I’d bring both of you had a chance. If you didn’t, meh. I wouldn’t stress over it.

07-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Leave both ....... Take horses and get back where others are not. Lol.

Highly unlikely able to use sleds then. Your access is certainly limited with the quads and closures but they are there. Get real high and glass. Lots.

Go up and over.... You will likely have more success if ya do...... as most hunters then stay in the Halfway valley.

boxhitch
07-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Sounds like the perfect use for an Argo 6x
more enviro friendly than a quad

Bear Chaser
07-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Sounds like the perfect use for an Argo 6x
more enviro friendly than a quad

Cannot legally take an Argo anywhere in that area that quads cannot go.
Sleds will most likely take some serious wear and tear then.
Last year in early October there were few if any bison in the main Halfway valley.
The only bison we saw were in remote valleys well to the North and West of where quads can legally access.

boxhitch
07-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Yeah, argos 6x are just under the 500 kg limit when at dry, unloaded weight
Not sure if the 500 rule was set arbitrarily or to spec out the argos

what does a 800 quad with tracks and two riders weigh? well over 500
just sayin

jg
07-04-2018, 12:03 AM
I was about to buy a couple sleds but I am now hedging to quads.......

S.W.A.T.
07-04-2018, 03:36 AM
Spent years in the area. Can honestly say your first week can be good warm plus temperatures and then you wake up one day and there is 3ft of snow. A real crapshoot. We plan every year for this hunt but have never gotten the golden ticket. But both sleds and quads are always on the list for the earlier draw dates. Later draw dates are safe for just snowmobiles (usually lol).

Best of luck. Once in a lifetime draw

KodiakHntr
07-04-2018, 08:35 AM

just sayin

Goes off of the listed weight from the manufacturer on that particular machine, doesn't include rider or add on's or gear. And the weight limit was raised to 750kg in the new reg's anyway to account for SxS's.

j270wsm
07-04-2018, 07:00 PM
I had that draw in 2012. The first week of October seen -20 over night. The second week was +8. We arrived October 13 and it was wet and muddy. Then on the 16 or 17 it snowed 18".

boxhitch
07-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Goes off of the listed weight from the manufacturer on that particular machine, doesn't include rider or add on's or gear. And the weight limit was raised to 750kg in the new reg's anyway to account for SxS's.Haven't studied the rules myself, just spouting about Argos
If they are allowed, and knowing their capabilities, I'd be calling Prince George and renting on for that hunt in a heart beat.

KodiakHntr
07-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Yep. That would be the easiest move for sure.

jg
07-12-2018, 11:15 PM
I will have to look up and agro renter in PG and see what they have. Otherwise I guess quads would be most practical in the second half of October.....

boxhitch
07-13-2018, 05:13 AM
Good on ya for taking this serious
I don't have the partners to do a hunt like this but always watch others
interested in what you find out about argos and the new rules

JustinG
08-31-2018, 06:44 AM
We have been lucky enough to do this hunt 3x in the past 5 years (Oct 1-15, Oct 15-31 & Jan 16-31). Bring quads (or side by sides). We even used one of our quads during the January hunt to pack gear to Horsecamp (although you needed the sleds to pack the snow).

Savage230
08-31-2018, 07:22 AM
MY hunting group and I did the early Oct hunt 2 years ago where we were able to fill both tags and were fortunate enough to get it again this year. In both cases we are or did use quads. We were there for 10 days approximately and the temperature ranged from +5 to -12 over night. It snowed on and off while we were there but we were able to get around with out to many issues for the most part. If I remember correct another group we knew had the same hunt as you and they used quads and were able to harvest their Bison without issue as well. If you have any other questions about the hunt or the location feel free to PM me and we can chat. Good Luck with your hunt and I hope you bag one.

PS. The advice about getting off the beaten path is good. Drive on the quad until you reach the area you think they are in and then put some miles on the boots, Oh and be ready to pack one out.

jg
09-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Great advice. Thanks. We got a ranch cabin booked and are still looking to buy quads. We will rent them if we have to but this is a good excuse to buy! We may have some questions so thanks for the offer of advice!

Rampager
09-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Like others have said quads are the best bet. We had the late Nov draw two years ago, had a SXS, 2 quads, and a sled and we never used the sled. I'm sure you'll be ok with quads a month earlier.

jg
10-09-2018, 11:06 PM
So we bought a couple quads and are pretty much good to go. We are heading out on the weekend and prepared to stay for two weeks!

REMINGTON JIM
10-09-2018, 11:17 PM
So we bought a couple quads and are pretty much good to go. We are heading out on the weekend and prepared to stay for two weeks!

GooD LUCK ! :smile: Hey what you using to KILL the Big Beasts with ? RJ

jg
10-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Got a new Tikka T3x 300 mag with a swaro with the BRH reticle. 180 TSX.

REMINGTON JIM
10-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Got a new Tikka T3x 300 mag with a swaro with the BRH reticle. 180 TSX.

Right on ! Nice Rig you got there ! 300 Win mag and a TSX er will get er done with a well placed shot or 2 ! Good Luck ! :smile: RJ

Meatlover
10-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Im eager to hear how it went!?!
We also got a draw nov 15 for 2 weeks, so I guess we are heading up there in 3 weeks! So excited!
ANY advise or Tips is greatly appreciated :)
did you rent a cabin? Blueberry ranch?

cheers

Amphibious
10-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Heading into same area last two weeks of January.

Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with the Tomter's? Left a couple messages, no call back.

Maddman
10-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Hello all,
I just finished hunting Bison in 7-57 A. Beautiful country. No luck for us on this hunt.
The biggest issue was information, or the lack of.
Well I hope to help with that problem.

The hunt access route is on Mile 147 Road, off of hwy BC-97.
You travel Mile 147 Road till you get to the Blueberry Ranch.

There you will meet Vern. Call first as he is busy, (250) 261-3572. He is very helpful.
Blueberry Ranch does have an access fee.
There is cell service at Blueberry Ranch.
Blueberry Ranch do have cabins for rent or camp for free.
The log cabins are warm and wood supplied.
The cabins are basic with beds, solar lights, wood burning heat, propane stove, table, and chairs.
Bring fuel, water, axe, generator, food, bed roll, chairs, pots and pans, knifes and forks, TP for the outhouse, and other necessities.

The access route into the protected area is restricted with one road, weight restriction of 750 kgs, and only 400 meters off the route with a vehicle. Getting maps with this information is difficult but they are out there. The signs that were once posted are gone except for one at the very end that doesn’t say end of trail. Confusing! If you are beyond the limits CO’s will fine you and fly your vehicle out at your expense.

Snow machines and horses are allowed everywhere.

The weather can get deadly fast so be prepared.

FYI the bison stay away from vehicle noise. Plan on walking. Have a GPS. Cell service is very spotty in the hunting area so bring some sort of satilite communication for emergencies. Always check weather reports.

We seen lots of wolves. Plus many grizzly tracks on the route.

Good luck on your hunt. It will be hard fun!!!

Darksith
10-29-2018, 08:51 AM

just sayin

you don't really know what you are talking about. First off its dry weight of the machine. Secondly they have upped the KG limit and tightened the distance from trail you are allowed to go...

There is a bit of the zone that is not in the MKMA, if you are hunting the early part of the season there, that is where I would focus on personally. I do have maps of zone A for sale if anyone is in need.

Mtn Wonderer
10-29-2018, 09:07 PM
If you don't have a great camp set up, rent a Cabin from Vern its worth every penny, leave the ranch an hour before daylight comeback an hour after sunset. Glass glass Glass, hike in locate sign find out which way there travelling, head out and glass some more to locate a herd. Don't over think your stalk( as we did our first time ). Get close pick your animal based on your man power. We went in last year got 2 bison and a wolf, between the Ranch and Horse camp. . They are wild and the herd has many eyes. be prepared to pack your bison off the mountain.
It was December Real Cold we used sleds make sure you have scratchers, an extra set would be a good Idea!!!! Because they break.

Mtn Wonderer
10-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Did you shoot any Wolves???

Rampager
10-31-2018, 08:11 PM
Hello all,
I just finished hunting Bison in 7-57 A. Beautiful country. No luck for us on this hunt.
The biggest issue was information, or the lack of.
Well I hope to help with that problem.

The hunt access route is on Mile 147 Road, off of hwy BC-97.
You travel Mile 147 Road till you get to the Blueberry Ranch.

There you will meet Vern. Call first as he is busy, (250) 261-3572. He is very helpful.
Blueberry Ranch does have an access fee.
There is cell service at Blueberry Ranch.
Blueberry Ranch do have cabins for rent or camp for free.
The log cabins are warm and wood supplied.
The cabins are basic with beds, solar lights, wood burning heat, propane stove, table, and chairs.
Bring fuel, water, axe, generator, food, bed roll, chairs, pots and pans, knifes and forks, TP for the outhouse, and other necessities.

The access route into the protected area is restricted with one road, weight restriction of 750 kgs, and only 400 meters off the route with a vehicle. Getting maps with this information is difficult but they are out there. The signs that were once posted are gone except for one at the very end that doesn’t say end of trail. Confusing! If you are beyond the limits CO’s will fine you and fly your vehicle out at your expense.

Snow machines and horses are allowed everywhere.

The weather can get deadly fast so be prepared.

FYI the bison stay away from vehicle noise. Plan on walking. Have a GPS. Cell service is very spotty in the hunting area so bring some sort of satilite communication for emergencies. Always check weather reports.

We seen lots of wolves. Plus many grizzly tracks on the route.

Good luck on your hunt. It will be hard fun!!!

Seconded. This is probably the best summary of this hunt I've read.

Meatlover
11-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Thank you for all the info! we are going up there in a week + for nov 15 bison hunt! Same thing, staying at the blueberry ranch!
Super excited but also its a lot of shit to plan and prepare for ;)

okas
11-02-2018, 04:41 PM
and get that hide off as they are hard to cool and keep your shot low . As they retain a lot of heat and sour fast

britman101
11-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Well for those going up for this hunt, the weather has turned nasty. Up to 20 cms of snow predicted in areas from the Pine Pass through to Fort St. John for this weekend. And temperatures predicted to plummet down to -20 by midweek. After that temps start working their way back up. Winter has started early this year in the North Country.

northernbc
11-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Yup snowing hard this morning,wind chill to -25 it is really windy.

northernbc
11-04-2018, 06:41 AM
snowwwwwwwwwwww

northernbc
11-04-2018, 07:15 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/mgPhGxbr/IMG-1146.jpg (https://postimg.cc/PCkdmRvG)

Meatlover
11-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Hoping for lots of snow so we can get some use of the sleds! :D

Darksith
11-05-2018, 01:14 PM
halfway valley is notorious for NOT getting snow when everywhere else is...fingers crossed, but phone the ranch and ask honestly