PDA

View Full Version : First Elk Trip

newhunterette
08-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Today Hubby is leaving for his first Elk trip - he has been practising with his bow for a few weeks now since he found out he could take the time off to go - he will keep in touch as much as he can like he did with his sheep hunt last week - and i will keep y'all posted as to any progress report - pics I am sure to follow when he gets back home next week :)

He will also be looking for Mulies and Whitetail

Ali

JAYDEE
08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Today Hubby is leaving for his first Elk trip - he has been practising with his bow for a few weeks now since he found out he could take the time off to go - he will keep in touch as much as he can like he did with his sheep hunt last week - and i will keep y'all posted as to any progress report - pics I am sure to follow when he gets back hom next week :)

He will also be looking for Mulies and Whitetail

Ali

Where is he off to?:roll:

Mr. Dean
08-30-2007, 04:50 PM
He barely had enough time to close the front door from his sheep hunt then change his clothes and skip out the back door. :eek:

Da Man is doin something right!

newhunterette
08-30-2007, 05:28 PM
He barely had enough time to close the front door from his sheep hunt then change his clothes and skip out the back door. :eek:

Of course he is he married me didn't hehehe
:):):)

srupp
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Good luck to Peter..he is a lucky man...on both counts..

Steven

newhunterette
08-31-2007, 05:03 AM
Good luck to Peter..he is a lucky man...on both counts..

Steven
Thank you Steven very much :)

Funny thing though he left to go pick up his buddy and had to come back home - he forgot the spare key to his truck - seems he sort of locked the keys in the truck on his way home from sheep hunting last week and cost him 35.00 to get the tow truck guy to open the door hehehehe - so he decided to take my truck key but it was on my key chain - how is it my fault that he locked the keys in the truck on the first trip - oh yes silly me I should have reminded him to take the spare key - my work is never done.

daycort
08-31-2007, 05:53 AM
good luck to your husband. steped off the front porch this morning and let out a little locater squel and mister 5 point came to visit me. 2 other bulls bugled there hatred at me as well.

Wildman
08-31-2007, 06:15 AM

No kidding! I just told my wife I'm going hunting this weekend. Her reply was "You better only be hunting one day" yikes, yes dear!

newhunterette
08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
First report in - scouted there area saw some really good tracks - unfortunately they also ran into a hornets nest - Peter was stung in the kidney areas - says he feel "****kicked" and his buddy took one in the head hehehee (he is bald) hehehehe - sorry not funny for those folicly challenged :) forgive me - both laughing on the phone - very funny

He will try and call me later tonight for update.

Ali

sawmill
08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Where is he hunting,roughly.Is he here ?

newhunterette
08-31-2007, 07:14 PM
yup he is up ur way :)

newhunterette
09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I received a very strange messege from telus text/cellular this morning - lots of static in the messege and a big wohoooooooooo not sure what it means but I am sure if it was messege from Pete he will call late tonight if he can get the phone working.

Ali

bsa30-06
09-01-2007, 03:38 PM
that sounds promising.......keep us posted

newhunterette
09-01-2007, 09:05 PM
just got off the phone with Peter - still no critter down - so wasnt him trying to get thru this morning :( - been seeing lots of signs and spotted a few in a field but hasn't had the opportunity to get a shot off for one - they did get a very good chance at a nice mulie but it didn't pan out - the dreaded missed shot - but he says good days and warm weather and he is having a wonderful time - heading back to camp now to eat and sleep for tomorrow morning - I'll let y'all know what's happening when he calls tomorrow.

Mik
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Whatta a life. The man just gets home and he's off again...thats awesome. All the best.

Elkaholic
09-02-2007, 09:55 AM
the rut seems to be very spotty around here at the moment. Some areas are going and some arent. So good luck to him.

newhunterette
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
hey y'all update - maybe I should have gone with Peter - seems when I am with him we get something lol - anyways his day today brought him no elk once again but he seen one about 40 yards from him in the bush but it spooked and off it went - he heard it's antlers crashing thru the trees - he also saw a moose (cow) and at another point 10 feet from him 2 coyotes ran by him - he did take time to do something he has never done before and that was bass fishing - he caught a few but kept the 3 1/2 pounder and decided that would be supper tonight with the ribs I packed him - at least I packed him some good vittles to keep his strength up - he will hunt one more full day tomorrow and 1/2 the day possibly Tuesday before coming home - I'll keep ya posted for tomorrow :)

Ali

changing my green font because apparently it is hurting someone's eyes - grrrrrrr lol

newhunterette
09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
todays phone was again a disappointed Peter but he says he has been closer to Elk today seeing a few but not close enough for the bow - he said the mosquitoes are really getting bad that they were wearing their mosquito netting - he will try one more attempt in an early morning hunt before beginning the treck back home - he says even if he doesn't get an elk this year the experience he has had was worth the trip - every trip gains him more knowledge - I am proud he made this far into the hunt considering he left with our family going through death only 2 days before he was leaving.

Ali

brotherjack
09-04-2007, 08:59 AM
At least he's seeing elk - he's doing better than me, I haven't even seen one since the season opened.

newhunterette
09-04-2007, 09:13 AM
wohooooooooooo he is coming home - I just got off the phone with Peter - he didn't get the elk he was hoping for but he did bring down a Whitetail doe - double lung shot thru and thru it ran 250 yards into the bush and that was it - down - he has never before taken an critter with his bow so he was very very high on adreneline - on his way driving home - I am sure i will have lots of pictures to sort thru and download

Ali

Elkaholic
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
At least he's seeing elk - he's doing better than me, I haven't even seen one since the season opened.

I thought I was the only one around here not seeing anything. Good to know its not just me. And good luck brotherjack.

Great to hear your hubby got a doe, I really want to shoot anything with my bow as well. Ive been told there is nothing like getting your first bow kill. Can't wait to see all the pictures.

newhunterette
09-04-2007, 06:09 PM
He is home - I now have a deer in my outside refrigerator - so much for having a cold beer for him when he got home lol - as soon as thingsa re unpacked and I have found the camera amongst his disaray of gear I'll put some pics on here

what a day - Oldest daughter is now a college student officially registered and tuition paid begins classes Monday - daughter #2 began first day of grade 11 and kid#3 my son began first day of grade 10 and made it thru second round cuts for hockey and Peter is home safe and sound form trip#2 and trip#3 around the corner - I think I am can breathe and smile again

Ali

newhunterette
09-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Alrighty here comes a few pics of his trip
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0006-1.jpg

Nice and cozy camp
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0038.jpg

Lightening storm at night
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0026.jpg

Never fished bass before - caught this 3 1/2 pounder for supper
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0047.jpg

newhunterette
09-05-2007, 07:30 AM
His first ever Whitetail (Doe) with his bow. Peter has been bow hunting for a few years and never taken anything - this is his first. He was happy hunter even if he didnt get his Elk this year.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0051.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0048.jpg

Time to head home
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/P1010083.jpg

Ali

Wildman
09-05-2007, 08:47 AM
nice shots!

newhunterette
09-05-2007, 06:10 PM
nice shots!

yeah he does okay with the camera when I am not there - hehehehehehe

HighCountry
09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
That doe look very tasty.

eastkoot
09-05-2007, 06:20 PM
congrats to him, never shot one but have petted a few in the yard !!!http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P1020374.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5948&size=big&cat=500)

quadrakid
09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
thanks for pics and story, first critter with a bow is special.

newhunterette
09-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Gee Eastkoot - seeing the family unit in your pic there kind of makes me sad I got a yummy doe in my freezer now
- for about 1 minute mmmmmmmmmmm

lol

very sweet shot

Ali