PDA

View Full Version : 5-15b Quesnel lake moose

Trks
06-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Hi guys,
Had to create a new account because i couldn't post from my old one??? But here's the newbie joke anyways, What kind of diver does it take to circumcise a whale......... four skin divers of course :lol::lol:

Now that's out of the way, was lucky to get this draw again after getting it last year, the fires burning last year kept us away after taking a nice bull 2 years prior, thanks again to Steven for all the info there. Wondering if anyone has been up the north arm lately, condition of the "coral" docks, roaring, the old airstrip by Mitchell etc..., any new logging activity up there? How much and what area actually got burnt? Planning on camping around the coral and getting back into the Wasko lakes, taking the boat up towards Mitchell if there's not much happening there. Any insight would be helpful, planning on being up there between Sep20-30 if anybody else has the draw. Also would be interested in hiring the service of a landing craft or barge if you know anyone, couldn't make that work last time, but still hoping. Thanks and good luck!! Tyler

srupp
06-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Hi tyler..please send a ph number I will call..congrads
Steven

rageous
06-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Congrats, Sounds like a great place to hunt moose! Sounds like pretty low leh odds too boot.

Drillbit
06-30-2018, 12:36 AM
Was at the corral today.
the pilings got beat up pretty bad and there’s 1 dock left. Roy piled everything else up to burn
the big toilet dumper boats have to dingy to get to shore now, so the outhouse is pretty clean.

theres 6 big deactivations to cross to get to the roaring. The connector bridge gone.
roaring is grown up big time

haven’t gone to the end yet to try the pen fold, but might next week to check it out. Heard the penfold camp at th3 airstrip is gone fir years now

JIL_24/7
06-30-2018, 11:14 AM
I have the same draw. Planning to hunt September 20-30. I got no boat, so I will be using boots on ground :)

Trks
07-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info and call Steven. Drillbit, thanks for the heads up. Is it the main dock with the ramp that's still left? I'll be in a 19' trophy so I might still be able to tie up there, what's your opinion there? If not guess I'll be dragging a dingy around. The camp was gone last time I was up there too, but saw on the fire map last year a lot of land got burnt up around penfolds and roaring, interested to hear how it looks if you do make it up there. 24/7 I've never accessed this area from the road, do you go in from likely and end up over by ghost or Mitchell lake? Any plans to get yourself over by quesnel lake? Thanks

JIL_24/7
07-03-2018, 05:39 PM
You can't really access Mitchell Lake. Quesnel lake can be accessed by a crazy little ATV trail, but once there you really have no where to go. The area to hunt from land road access is mainly around Ghost Lake. Very small area that can get real crowded and has poor access and limited hunting areas. If I could I would go the route you are taking. You can access Ghost Lake through Likely or through Barkerville. It is a very tough hunt that many have left frustrated, but I love it up there.

srupp
07-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Hmmm cant access Mitchell..road is overgrown...cant carry a bull out of there..
LOTS of hunters already headed up 3100 rd. But there are spots still....
Jil247 call me ...next week ?
Cheers
Steven

Drillbit
07-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info and call Steven. Drillbit, thanks for the heads up. Is it the main dock with the ramp that's still left? I'll be in a 19' trophy so I might still be able to tie up there, what's your opinion there? If not guess I'll be dragging a dingy around. The camp was gone last time I was up there too, but saw on the fire map last year a lot of land got burnt up around penfolds and roaring, interested to hear how it looks if you do make it up there. 24/7 I've never accessed this area from the road, do you go in from likely and end up over by ghost or Mitchell lake? Any plans to get yourself over by quesnel lake? Thanks

The south log boom is there.
the west/front log booms are there
the north dock running east west is there

storm there last spring was 14’ waves, sunk an 18’ boat, tossed a 30footer on the dock and wrecked it all pretty bad

all the close ones near shore are gone and the ramp is gone

they are are supposed to log up there again this year, so things might change too

you can tie up to the dock or the south boom for sure, but there’s lots water in between them and shore
could unload everything and float it to shore on a ski tube

road is atv ok up wasko, the other way like I said it deactivated big time and grown right in

Trks
07-07-2018, 09:12 AM
I've heard of storms like that from my late uncle who spent a lot of time up there, i know it can turn bad very quickly. Sounds like you know the area well, live on the lake? Is the fishing still good enough at the end of sep to justify bringing up all the fishing gear too? Any chance you know who has the little hidden cabin on wasko? found that up there a few years back, would like to talk to them about the possibility of spending a night or two up there. As far as i can tell there is no private land up there, possibly a land lease, could be an old trappers cabin but it looked like it was still used. Planning on staying at Alysia the rest of the time and running back and forth. Thanks for all the help

Trks
07-07-2018, 09:19 AM
You can't really access Mitchell Lake. Quesnel lake can be accessed by a crazy little ATV trail, but once there you really have no where to go. The area to hunt from land road access is mainly around Ghost Lake. Very small area that can get real crowded and has poor access and limited hunting areas. If I could I would go the route you are taking. You can access Ghost Lake through Likely or through Barkerville. It is a very tough hunt that many have left frustrated, but I love it up there.

That's what i figured, your right though some of the best country BC has to offer up there. Does that crazy atv trail your talking about take you down to the mitchell river, heard there used to be an old bridge that crossed the river and you could access penfolds from there. Last i heard the bridge was gone but trying to understand the area a little better. Best of luck to you at ghost lake this year