PDA

View Full Version : Shulaps Range Sheep Hunt

westcoast meds
06-28-2018, 09:40 PM
I managed to draw a Ram ( 3/4 ) in the Shulaps Range ( 332 E ) this year. Ive never hunted this Range before but have spent time researching this beautiful area and Im looking forward to doing some scouting this summer and hunting in the fall. Im very aware that the numbers for sheep and deer are not nearly what they once were in this region and alot of that has do do with the amount of motorized vehicals, mnt biking , hiking ect... which has found its way into these mountains. That said, I will be looking to scout areas with less recreational usage. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share some insight into this region . Im not asking for anyone's hunting honey hole's ( if there is such a thing anymore ) , but if anyone with recent knowledge of this range has any suggestions where I might try some scouting without running into too many recreational troupes it would be much appreciated.

Thanks D

blazing billy
06-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Had the draw about 5 years ago. Limited access, guides hid or destroyed bridges to some of the areas. Locals informed me non guided hunters were not welcome. Never went back.

Steelpulse
06-28-2018, 11:46 PM
Well that’s a positive note sounds like someone doesn’t want people hunting in there blazing billy but thanks for your 8th contribution in as many years

Area seems good I’m sure there’s a sheep in there for you. Hit up google earth a lot and scout that way
i hunted goat on the south side of carpenter but drove the road that covers most of the south side of the zone. I’m not sure how you hide a bridge and I doubt people actually destroy bridges because they want the zone. But I maybe be wrong and just too positive. I wouldn’t trust the locals if someone said I wasn’t welcome. Has nothing to do with me not being welcome and all to do with I’m going to continue on my legal hunt whether you like that or not. Anyways good luck I’d be more than happy to field any questions if you pm me this is a hunt I have applied for in the past and am interested in for sure.

oilcountry
06-29-2018, 06:33 AM
Congrats on the draw! PM coming your way

Buck
06-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Seems to be some tit for tat in that area with the locals and guide outfitter.I ran into him at the trail head one time and he was fine though curious where i was from.Beautiful country good luck.

Mtn Wonderer
06-29-2018, 08:28 AM
I was in there years ago. But I found rams up Noaxe Creek heading into Big Dog mountain.
we bush wacked in and hit a trail on Big dog Mountain side about halfway to the Alpine.
Trail is on the left side if the valley when looking up stream.
I'm talking 25 years ago. Get there from the Carpenter Lake side, Hope you Get a Ram!!

cuervosail
06-29-2018, 10:13 AM
I put in for the same draw but didn't get it. I'm interested to hear how you make out.

BCHunterFSJ
06-29-2018, 10:54 AM
There's a video you can watch that might help you find rams.
It's called California Bighorns - Mixed Bag Hunt in B.C. and features an outfitter known as "Bighorn" Bruce Ambler.
If you watch carefully and are proficient in the use of topo maps you can figure out the location...
Good luck - I never did bag a Calie to complete my BC Grand Slam...

srupp
06-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Still some good rams in there. Been in there but not for 8 years now. .already have 2calies..
Anything I can do to help ?
Cheers..congrads
Srupp

Mark-R
06-29-2018, 06:13 PM
If you watch carefully and are proficient in the use of topo maps you can figure out the location...

Thanks for the tip!

westcoast meds
06-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone for all the tips / help. Its greatly appreciated. Ill be sure to respond on this thread on how our hunt goes. Ill also be sure to share more specific details on what we find through private messages to those who have asked.

I also want to give a special thanks out to Steven ( srupp ), who I met last year and who was kind enough to share his insights and experience on a moose hunt we did last year in his neck of the woods. His experience and Techniques moose hunting are 2nd to none. We had a tough hunt due to the timing of the rut being at the later end but persevered and had success on our 10 th and last day of our hunt. Thanks again Steven , hope you enjoyed the treats.

06-30-2018, 08:54 AM
PM coming your way.

Markjames
07-05-2018, 09:24 PM
congrats on the draw........ i am very familiar with the area. my only comment is that due to the decrease deer,m00se,and sheep ... locals and the guides can be very protective of their area (even as far as falling trees in the road blocking you in or out )