PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, you got your draw

jamfarm
06-27-2018, 11:27 PM
Just a reminder to all those who were drawn in the LEH. See the hunt through.

This time of year there's people asking for suggestions, hints, tips on areas to hunt where they have never been. That's fine but at the end of the day the person that got drawn should make every endeavour to hunt the area they were drawn. If they don't go they're basically taking away that opportunity from another hunter.

For example, a couple years ago I got drawn for elk in 2-12Q. It took a lot to get the gear, quad etc up there and it was an expensive hunt but once I found out I got the draw I had to see it through. In the end I didn't harvest an elk but we tried our best, if I never went up there I would always have wondered what it was like in that area, now I know.

So do your research on the area your were drawn and get up there and hunt it, you owe us all that much.

Robinhood
06-28-2018, 04:11 AM
Interesting sentiments.

Pinewood
06-28-2018, 06:25 AM
I agree with the first post. Be serious about it, have respect for your fellow Hunters.

Rhyno
06-28-2018, 06:30 AM

This time of year there's people asking for suggestions, hints, tips on areas to hunt where they have never been. That's fine but at the end of the day the person that got drawn should make every endeavour to hunt the area they were drawn. If they don't go they're basically taking away that opportunity from another hunter.

For example, a couple years ago I got drawn for elk in 2-12Q. It took a lot to get the gear, quad etc up there and it was an expensive hunt but once I found out I got the draw I had to see it through. In the end I didn't harvest an elk but we tried our best, if I never went up there I would always have wondered what it was like in that area, now I know.

So do your research on the area your were drawn and get up there and hunt it, you owe us all that much.

When allotting tags they assume some people are not going to hunt the tag. Yeah it sucks, especially if you have been trying for years. But it is their draw to do as they wish, I suppose you tell the winner of Lotto 6/49 how to spend their winning to?

Rackmastr
06-28-2018, 06:33 AM
And people wonder why hunter recruitment and retention is tough....

Ron.C
06-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Plenty of reasons why people put in for the LEH's they do and plenty of reasons why some tags don't get utilized. My first goat LEH was nothing more than a learning experience and a back country hunting reality check. In hind sight, no goats were in any danger from me that week. My second goat draw was during the same period I drew a shared moose hunt. I didn't have time to hunt both and the goat tag took a back seat to the moose.

To each his own. Hunt your tag the way you want.

todbartell
06-28-2018, 07:57 AM
I know of two guys who have had Kamloops Lake sheep draw and never even bought a tag

mastercaster
06-28-2018, 08:00 AM
There are hunters who put in for draws on mule deer does and cow and calf draws for both elk and moose in hopes of winning one with no intentions of ever using them. Their reasoning is they don't think these draws for the females of the species should be awarded in the first place. They feel if they don't use their draw, in essence, they're saving an animal. As mentioned, I guess if you win one it should be up to that individual how they choose to use it.

Last season I chose not to use my doe draw, my first win on one since the new century began ,,,,,,but that was because I didn't want a CO knocking on my door. It was a good season and I had harvested three deer before the LEH came into affect was my reasoning.

Jelvis
06-28-2018, 08:01 AM
-- Remember every thing costs money, so how much wood U need? Planning ahead and saving.
------ things change around you also, at work, at home etc
Jel -- pay the bucks take the chances on LEH -- keep it going strong --

butcher
06-28-2018, 09:59 AM
I know of two guys who have had Kamloops Lake sheep draw and never even bought a tag

Me too! Local guy who had a local moose draw and went for that instead. GAK!

Ajsawden
06-28-2018, 10:46 AM
I do share the sentiments that it sucks when you hear of people getting a draw that you wanted and yet make no attempt to capitalize on it.
A few years ago a co-worker got a moose draw and when october rolled around was fussing about "can't afford it, don't have a reliable vehicle, can't get time off work, etc". The excuses are what really urked me. I offered to take them, they agreed, planned the trip, made reservations, asked questions on here and then last minute they bailed. I went to the area anyway (honoring the reservations) and ended up getting a nice 5x4 muley.

I also agree that it's tricky when you get more draws than you can handle in a year. I know a lot of guys put in for everything in the hopes they get something. Every now and then they win everything (or at least lots). A couple years ago a guy I know won a moose, elk, bison and caribou. He did not get all of them, nor did he attempt to hunt all of them. I really couldn't complain about that.

Not trying for the kamloops sheep seems insanity. I'd quit my job if I had to 'find' the time to go on that hunt.

granola_eater
06-28-2018, 12:16 PM

Ah man, that's my dream hunt. I spend a lot of time in that area and love it. Would love to hear from you about the hunt.

canishunter22-250
06-28-2018, 02:59 PM
Doesn't bother me at all whether people use their draw or not. At the end of the day it has no detrimental affect on any other hunters. In fact, the opposite may be true.

When putting together allocations, there is a target for the number of animals that are to be harvested. The number of tags awarded is much higher than the harvest target. When determining the number of tags to award, they assume a certain percentage of guys won't even go hunting, and of those who do only a certain percentage will be successful. That's the only number that matters at the end of the day. The rest is just white noise.

If every guy who drew a tag put in the full effort and ended up getting his animal, the harvest would be waaayyyy higher than the target. They would simply respond to this by drawing less tags in subsequent years to adjust for this.

It's actually in your best interest that most guys don't go once they get the draw, because it actually increases the odds of getting drawn due to higher number of tags given out to accommodate for this. If you are one of the guys willing to go once the tag is drawn then you're actually further ahead.

Linksman313
06-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Just a thought on the questions posted by those who get drawn for a successful leh. It seems a day after draws are out we get 50 threads entitled "can anybody tell me where the moose is in 8-24, where to camp, where to park, where to poop and brush my teeth etc.." Does anyone bother researching their draws ahead of time (this excludes you sheep/goat guys we know how much work you put in) or just pick blindly and hope that hunting story you heard about 4-10 is true, hopefully first nations are not blocking that road or Uncle Bruce's spot is still good. Just curious as we thoroughly research our draws and make sure we are geared and have the time to pre-scout as well (two young chilluns hunt as well)

And NO I did not get any draws this year
#thebitterness
#Palmergotmy815moosedraw
lols

Stone C. Killer
06-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Why would you bother scouting a spot for leh until you get drawn? That to me would seem like I total waste of time...

MichelD
06-28-2018, 03:43 PM
In my case I did in fact research in depth where I was going to apply for an LEH permit this year. I researched the areas i have been to before that I am familiar with, talked to people in the area, asked about wolves, unregulated hunting, fire damage, how it was last year, etc. etc. etc. and decided that those were the places i did NOT want to go to. So I researched places I did want to go to, asked a few locals, looked at HBC archives, looked at maps and Google Earth, and yes, I applied in an area new to me. How am I ever going to know what an area is like if I don't go there?

I didn't pick a choice hunt for moose, I applied for a pre-rut time period and guess what? I got the draw. Did I post an open query on here about that area? No. I've done some research already, and I ask people who indicate or who have indicated in the past that they are familiar with the zone I'm interested in. It used to be you'd ask friends of friends face to face or over the beer parlour table, but now we have all these other tools in the toolbox, so we use 'em.

Just a thought on the questions posted by those who get drawn for a successful leh. It seems a day after draws are out we get 50 threads entitled "can anybody tell me where the moose is in 8-24, where to camp, where to park, where to poop and brush my teeth etc.." Does anyone bother researching their draws ahead of time (this excludes you sheep/goat guys we know how much work you put in) or just pick blindly and hope that hunting story you heard about 4-10 is true, hopefully first nations are not blocking that road or Uncle Bruce's spot is still good. Just curious as we thoroughly research our draws and make sure we are geared and have the time to pre-scout as well (two young chilluns hunt as well)

And NO I did not get any draws this year
#thebitterness
#Palmergotmy815moosedraw
lols

silvertipp
06-28-2018, 04:09 PM
It makes no difference to me if people go or don't go
as far as asking questions I have helped a lot of people who have asked for help
somehow I drew a tag this year and asked for some knowledge even though I have a pretty good idea about the area i really don't see it as a big deal
Cheers and good luck out there

ryanb
06-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Why has this site declined? It's because everyone wants to take and nobody wants to give. Take the info, ask questions on an area then never post any pictures or reports/stories about a hunt. I don't come on here to give people info on an area, but I will. However, I sure like seeing some nice pictures and stories. This site is going to die if that's the way things keep going.

Gateholio
06-29-2018, 07:34 AM
It's a bit hard to fathom getting a high odds draw and not using it, but people do, and as it's their tag, I guess they can do as they like.

All I really think that people should do prior to applying is to be reasonably sure they can access the area beforehand. Like do they need a boat or plane or something, as there is no point in applying if you won't even be able to get to the LEH location. After that, it's totally reasonable to ask for help for an area. Half the fun of hunting in BC is getting out and exploring new terrain, and a little guidance is nice.

Wild one
06-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Why would you bother scouting a spot for leh until you get drawn? That to me would seem like I total waste of time...

I do it often but I do it well fishing or hunting another species that is GOS. I have applied for and hunted under LEH in areas I have not scouted as well but most draws I apply for I have prior experience in the area

I have no issues with those who don’t scout before applying for an LEH but would recommend doing research on access issues before applying.

Jelvis
06-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Some apply in faith, some have a wait and see attitude - some prolly think if I get it I can get someone to go with me together and share the hunt experience.
- You can't win an LEH draw if you don't apply, same as any Lotto -- thee excitement is in the air 12 months a year --
- The Ministry is doing a fine job so far adapting to the modern era of management and will need to take control of all hunting in B.C. under their authority.
LEH is here to stay and will need co-operation with all involved from start to finish, the Ministry, the hunter, need a special relationship like it's got going now.
Jel -- let's all get excited together eh, good luck to all of you hunting in BC

Weatherby Fan
06-29-2018, 08:34 AM

You didn't get an Elk on an LEH draw.......oh MY you just stole an Elk right out of OUR mouths....@#$%&*^%$#@, you should have done more RESEARCH on the area and cost to get that quad up there BEFORE putting in for the draw, you should be ashamed of yourself.....my word , I'm not sure how were going to hold you accountable for your lack of dedication on the use of OUR LEH draw but we are wanting to hold your feet to the fire somehow...................

There's a new LEH Sheriff in town and I'm telling you #@%$&%^$ right now if you got OUR LEH authorization in hand you better be using it.....oh yeh take your Quad, do my research and spend lots of money doing it ;)

I'm thinking you didn't get a draw this year...........:mrgreen:

All kidding aside the person that was lucky enough to get a draw paid his/her $7.00 for it and is entitled to do as they see fit with it, regardless if it doesn't conform to your line of thinking.....and they don't owe you/us anything, things happen, work schedules change, family, health and even the weather.

Rackmastr
06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Haha great post WF!!!

steel_ram
06-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Don't care what someone does with their draw. To most of us, hunting is recreation and we have other lives that often take precedence.

m5wilson
06-29-2018, 09:52 PM
I agree, up to the person who wins the draw what they want to do with it. But that doesn't mean I still can't believe it when some people chose not to hunt certain draws.