PDA

View Full Version : Any goat hunters out there?

Cabled
06-27-2018, 07:35 PM
Hey all,
I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag for sept/oct in region 3. Not interested in specifics of the unit really, kinda feel like it’d take something away from any success I might have. That being said my experience with goats is limited to a couple I’ve randomly seen while mule deer hunting. Anyone with insight as far as habits, tactics, where to look, what they eat etc, that is willing to share, I’m all ears! I’m sure I’m not the only one with a tag that might benefit from some knowledge. Anyways, just throwing it out there. Thanks.

scttlp86
06-27-2018, 08:28 PM
I am in the same boat, first goat tag and in reg3. Been reading as much as I can and am finding the more I read the more I get excited to give it a go. Maybe some help on their habits and the logistics of a goat hunt

B.C.Boy(100%)
06-27-2018, 08:35 PM
X3 for region 3, 3-33E for myself, either of you two in that same area?

WWBC
06-27-2018, 08:36 PM
I’ll be following this one as well.

got a draw in region 5

nature girl
06-27-2018, 08:45 PM
Start getting into shape. Those bloody hills are always steeper then you think.
You may get snow. Or it can be bloody hot.
Take some mole skin. Definitely take a camera.
You could be in some alpine or walking up boulder fields. So have good footwear. Take a couple pairs with you. I had some boots for the alpine areas and some for the boulder areas. Of course I left them at the truck. The one day we walked up the alpine area I had the boots for that area. The next day the boulder area I had the boots for that.

You can see goats above alpine spots so glass.

IF you starting your hike out don't wear lots of layers at first youll be sweating in no time.

Some parts of region 3 I have had ticks on me so take a tick key or something.

You may want to bring a walking stick.

Good luck

HarryToolips
06-27-2018, 09:29 PM
^^^^^like she said, get in shape and have good boots...I'd say take all your gear for an expedition beforehand to try er out....ticks in the fall though??

scttlp86
06-27-2018, 10:03 PM
X3 for region 3, 3-33E for myself, either of you two in that same area?
3-33A for me

butcher
06-27-2018, 10:11 PM
I’ve killed and guided a few. Learn the difference between a billy and a nanny. Be fit, be proficient with your firearm. Learn to cape and dress and bone out your kill. Be prepared to hunt in some sketchy situations. Buy the best gear you can afford. It’s fun and rewarding and can be scary as hell. Good luck.

Tīɡ
06-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Good boots are a must! Do your homework on learning the difference between a nanny and a billy so that when it comes time for the hunt you can confidently ID a billy to harvest. The book "A Beast the Color of Winter" is an excellent resource to have a read through. Scout the area if at all possible, this will pay dividends when it comes time for the hunt. Also remember that the terrain will always be way more gnarly in person than what it looks like on google earth. Good luck out there!

natebavis
06-28-2018, 12:12 AM
3/33 a for me too. Nate here. Gonna start hiking above Anderson lake very soon.

natebavis
06-28-2018, 12:17 AM
If anyone wants to chat about 3/33a please let me know. I need help. And will hopefully be able to help. I am not greedy and believe that communication can prevent 15guys from fighting over same bowl ...at the same time being able to help if there was a situation while on the mountain. Cheers. Nate

bushpilot
06-28-2018, 04:37 AM
Watch this video a few dozen times before you go. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8gUaMx8G7I

Put boots on the ground and scout your area. Not only will you know where to start but it’s a great way to test gear and fitness prior to the season.

hickman
06-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Region 3 has plenty of goats. Be fit! Be prepared for an epic hunt. If you go early season when it's warm, they are up high. Don't kill yourself following them, they go into gnarly shit! In the heat, they are seeking the shade on rocky ledges. Wait for them to move into the shade as the sun moves. Might have to wait the entire day to get to them. I spotted my billy at 10AM in the morning and was able to get my shot at 5:30PM. It made for a long day! They are routine animals from my experience moving in same pattern almost every day. Watch them for a couple of days. Billies are usually by themselves or pairs, threes. Once you have seen a billy and compared to an old nanny you will know the difference. If you can get a glimpse from behind, the nuts are giving it away. The more fit you are the easier. If you are used to hunting by quad - forget it. Just my 2 cents from two goat tags in region 3.

khoffnbud
06-29-2018, 11:02 AM
If anybody here has the 3-42A draw, pm me. Have had this draw a number of times and have been successful twice, happy to help a fellow goat hunter out.

SaintSix
06-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Great video! Thanks for the link. I’ll be goat hunting this year too.

Fosey
06-29-2018, 10:08 PM
Got drawn in 316b

B.C.Boy(100%)
06-30-2018, 08:56 AM
Congratulations to those of you that managed to collect a draw.

This will be my second time in 3-33E, and I know exactly where to go. However if something gets in the way then I know of a few other places for back up plans.

A few years back I drew 5-04J twice, that was another fun adventure, awesome country there as well.

3-33B is a neat place also.

Sorry, I haven’t ventured into 3-33A not sure about that side, yet.

Thanks to those that have expressed good info on what to prepare for. It’s a good reminder.

Good luck to you all.

decker9
06-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Mountain goat hunting, you’ll either get hooked beyond belief, or you’ll sell your goat gear and never think or speak of it again lol.

Good luck to all, looking forward to seeing some pics and story’s this fall. Holding my leh for rut/winter, 10” or bust.

Thunderstix
07-02-2018, 06:50 PM
6-15-J....cannot wait!!!

Timberjack
07-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Happy to help those who’ve drawn in 3-33a. Was a fun hunt and got some good intel from the hunt and research of the rest of the zone prior to... pm if u like.

TJ

boxhitch
07-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Don't shoot what you can't retrieve
Sometimes goats fall off the cliffs, but when they don't it can be real nasty getting up to and back down can be worse.
Hunters tend for tred without rope to places climbers or mountaineers wouldn't consider being without a harness and anchors.
Gotta know your comfort level on the steeps

dana
07-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Practice shooting at extreme angles long before you hunt. Leave the range alone and find some steep cable logging blks to put your targets up in. Forget the bench and try logs and stumps and rocks as rests. And watch out for scope eye. :)

Magnumb
07-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Use enough gun that you can still shoot accurately. If you can take out the front shoulders with the shot this can be ideal. Tracking on a cliff or claiming your prize after it has jumped from one is not fun...Good boots, good optics and find a good source of water. Be ready for any type of weather.
Good luck!!

JohnS
07-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Mountain goat hunting, you’ll either get hooked beyond belief, or you’ll sell your goat gear and never think or speak of it again lol.

Good luck to all, looking forward to seeing some pics and story’s this fall. Holding my leh for rut/winter, 10” or bust.

Yes indeed!!

labguy
07-03-2018, 07:42 AM
^^^^^like she said, get in shape and have good boots...I'd say take all your gear for an expedition beforehand to try er out....ticks in the fall though??

Have you had ANY experience at all hunting goats?

To the OP: Hunting goats is about the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Glass lots. Good optics is a must. Plan your stalks carefully so you don't disturb them and are sure of a reasonable recovery. Sometimes you have to wait a few days until they move to the right spot for harvest. Many times they don't move very far for days on end so usually there is no hurry to get near them.

If your hunting in snow bring crampons.

Goat hunting will challenge you mentally and physically. Move slowly and carefully in dodgy terrain.

Finally, bring your brown under ware:cool:. Some of the places you'll probably get into you'll need it. Have fun.

Ron.C
07-03-2018, 08:33 AM
I've done a few backpack goat hunts. My buddy got a Billy on one of the trips but I haven't got that Billy yet, but here's a few things I have learned :

Be prepared to spend the night up the mountain away from your spike camp

Be prepared to deal with an injury. My buddy rolled his ankle bad 13km from the truck. I had a SPOT device and was willing to walk out for help, but he insisted on walking. I carried his pack contents but we could have easily made a bad situation worse
Watch for goats below you. On my last solo hunt, I was within 150 yards of a nice Billy above me. I was waiting for him to drop off the ledge he was on. A nanny and kid came up from below me and saw my laying prone watching the Billy. She blew like a whitetail doe does when alarmed. Every goat on that mountain went vertical.

Be ready for close shots. Bumped lots of goats in the timber.

Use climbing/hiking poles

Watch your step. I was going side hill trying to get a better look at a goat. Stepped down on what looked like a solid rock and it let go along with everything I was standing on. I buried my hiking pole with enough force to keep me from going down.

Manage your water. I don't know about you but I can pound it back while climbing. It's a long day up high with little left to drink

Above all else, like everyone else says get in the best shape you can. Train for the terrain you will be hunting by carrying the gear you be using. You really have to condition your feet legs and back for the abuse you will he subjecting your body to. And not ony ascending steep terrain but descending as well. I don't care how far you can shoot or how expensive your gear is, if you can't safely and efficiently go up and down the mountain every day, all the other stuff doesn't matter. Its easy to loose motivation when you are exhausted. And it's easy to make bad decisions where risk of injury in unacceptable. Pacing yourself, eating the right food and being in top shape is the best way to enjoy the hunt and hunt effectively

HarryToolips
07-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Have you had ANY experience at all hunting goats?

To the OP: Hunting goats is about the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Glass lots. Good optics is a must. Plan your stalks carefully so you don't disturb them and are sure of a reasonable recovery. Sometimes you have to wait a few days until they move to the right spot for harvest. Many times they don't move very far for days on end so usually there is no hurry to get near them.

If your hunting in snow bring crampons.

Goat hunting will challenge you mentally and physically. Move slowly and carefully in dodgy terrain.

Finally, bring your brown under ware:cool:. Some of the places you'll probably get into you'll need it. Have fun.
Limited experience hunting goats, most of my hunting has been for bear and deer, with some hunting for moose and elk...however, I hike hunt whether it be for goat or any other critter why you ask?? Are you talking like that to feel like your dick is slightly bigger??

Jelvis
07-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Harry --- ahhh it sounds like labguy has hunted a lot of goats hahahaha, by his post, sounds almost perfect hahaha so ahh just sayin
Jel -- size might matter hahahahahhaa -- size of the horns.

HarryToolips
07-03-2018, 09:51 PM
^^^^right, so what did I say that was off exactly??

Jelvis
07-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Ahh the goat is like harder to get too eh! then most other animals like deer or bison etc. That's all Harry no big deal?
--
Jel -- your young yet and will experience this like some others have who might be a lil older ? --

labguy
07-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Limited experience hunting goats, most of my hunting has been for bear and deer, with some hunting for moose and elk...however, I hike hunt whether it be for goat or any other critter why you ask?? Are you talking like that to feel like your dick is slightly bigger??

No I'm talking like I feel your incessant need to comment on many things you know very little about gets a bit tiresome. Sometimes it's better to do a bit more reading and a little less posting.....you just might learn something

HarryToolips
07-04-2018, 06:32 AM
No I'm talking like I feel your incessant need to comment on many things you know very little about gets a bit tiresome. Sometimes it's better to do a bit more reading and a little less posting.....you just might learn something

I have hunted goat, limited like I said, but I have.....I'm sharing from my personal experiences, what I've learned...is that against the grain here?? I didn't think so...here's a pic of a goat while hunting a LEH I had (unsuccessful stalk but I stalked it for 5 hours), unfortunately I did have to cut my hunt short due to a grandparent passing away (I only had a certain amount of time off originally for the hunt, then had to go to funeral), ...people like you make some people hesitant to post on here, and sharing one's experience, short or long, is what HBC is all about...BTW you still haven't answered my question: what did I post that was incorrect???

http://i.imgur.com/Nb1KtMv.jpg (https://imgur.com/Nb1KtMv)

HarryToolips
07-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Now back on track: here's a few pics of some of the topography you LEH goat hunters of western region 3 may encounter....

http://i.imgur.com/4AH4Zw1.jpg (https://imgur.com/4AH4Zw1)

http://i.imgur.com/YI1dset.jpg (https://imgur.com/YI1dset)

http://i.imgur.com/BA0AvPH.jpg (https://imgur.com/BA0AvPH)

labguy
07-04-2018, 06:42 AM
I have hunted goat, limited like I said, but I have.....I'm sharing from my personal experiences, what I've learned...is that against the grain here?? I didn't think so...here's a pic of a goat while hunting a LEH I had (unsuccessful stalk but I stalked it for 5 hours), unfortunately I did have to cut my hunt short due to a grandparent passing away (I only had a certain amount of time off originally for the hunt, then had to go to funeral), ...people like you make some people hesitant to post on here, and sharing one's experience, short or long, is what HBC is all about...BTW you still haven't answered my question: what did I post that was incorrect???

http://i.imgur.com/Nb1KtMv.jpg (https://imgur.com/Nb1KtMv)

Nothing you said was wrong Harry. I apologize if I misread your comments.

Steelpulse
07-04-2018, 11:04 AM
I had zone 333f last year. South of carpenter lake and went out of goldbridge. I got a goat after a good week looking around. Tough zone where I was but goats are in there.

Like everyone has said already it’s seriously steep stuff so being in shape or getting In Shape is pretty key as there are some strenuous hikes involved getting into and out of camp. If solo that pack gets mighty heavy with a goat in it.

Pack as light as possible. Do your homework on huntingbc. Look at everyone else’s prep lists print them out and cross reference them all and make YOUR list we are all different in how we hunt and in what we deem necessary to come with, there are some things that we all need though and these lists will all have the basics.

Read the maps lots know the zone inside and out before you even go

Dont go crazy on high end hunting gear. I used basic alpine hiking pants and a couple loose athletic shirts for most day time activity

when you come back to camp it was really nice to have something comfortable and familiar to put on. A nice hoodie. Tshirt and some pants are all the difference after a long day hiking up and down.

Chilli flakes to season up up mountain house. I love spicy so that made it all the better

camera is is nice to have you’ll see a ton of stuff

best 9 days I spent in the bush so far was insanely amazing hunt can’t wait for another got tag. Your going to be in for one spectacular hunt good luck

wideopenthrottle
07-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Start getting into shape. Those bloody hills are always steeper then you think.
You may get snow. Or it can be bloody hot.
Take some mole skin. Definitely take a camera.
You could be in some alpine or walking up boulder fields. So have good footwear. Take a couple pairs with you. I had some boots for the alpine areas and some for the boulder areas. Of course I left them at the truck. The one day we walked up the alpine area I had the boots for that area. The next day the boulder area I had the boots for that.

You can see goats above alpine spots so glass.

IF you starting your hike out don't wear lots of layers at first youll be sweating in no time.

Some parts of region 3 I have had ticks on me so take a tick key or something.

You may want to bring a walking stick.

Good luck

agreed on the light clothing...goat hunting is the only time I can remember where I had to remove and carry clothing instead of just slowing down to prevent getting sweaty....that extra dry layer in the pack came in handy for the cold overnight stay on the mountain..

Steelpulse
07-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Anther thing to add here I went first 10 days of September and had great weather as far as no rain and good mid 20s temperature. But didn’t account for the wind changing directions and blowin smoke right into the goat zone and rendering spotting pretty much useless over a few hundred yards. If there is fires in the interior be prepared for lots of smoke on the hills

HarryToolips
07-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Nothing you said was wrong Harry. I apologize if I misread your comments.
Sounds good bud....

Steelpulse
07-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Smokey 2pm in the afternoon
https://i.imgur.com/VaqHXtg.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/VaqHXtg.jpg)

Look up way up. The goats are as they say way high. I found beds the day before at the peak to the left and this is the next day the goat is at the top right of the lowest point bedded. Can’t see it here
https://i.imgur.com/Fc1ADLt.jpg

Be prepared to camp in a steep area. Had to camp here one night. Just couldn’t make the top in one go it was straight up almost

https://i.imgur.com/xV0R6Qt.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/xV0R6Qt.jpg)

Cabled
07-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Awesome info, thanks for taking the time to share. Any ideas when they move into the areas they will be using in sept/oct? Trying to decide when to book some time for scouting. Also is there any aspect (north,south etc.) of the mountain they seem to prefer, or any type of feed to look for?
Again, thanks for the info so far!

TravisC
07-04-2018, 04:11 PM
I started goat hunting 5 years ago now. Its the most anticipated hunt I have. Every trip was successful in a way or two and only one of those hunts came back with a filled tag. The others were early retreats because of injury or weather. Good boots, good tent, good rain gear , and water. Nothing worse then having to pack extra pounds of water. It also doesn't matter how young or old you are invest in some trekking poles or just a cheap pair of ski poles you will appreciate them more than you think. Its not a race take your time and enjoy the whole experience.

Cody.270
07-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Any alpine mule deer in 3-33? I got drawn for goat in 3-33e this year and quite excited/ little nervous for the explore and hunt as I don't know the area at all...

ditch donkey
07-05-2018, 08:17 AM
it’s hard for a first time goat hunter to pass on their first opportunity on a goat. The more you hunt goats the more you see how fragile a population in a area can be. So make sure your confident telling the nanny’s and billies apart. In my opinion, hunting goats is far more rewarding than killing goats, as others have stated already make sure your able to collect the goat you harvest, if ya shoot one in a dangerous spot it’s not worth your safety or a goats life to be in a bad spot. Be cautious for your own safety, if have had a few wild moments in goat country where you can end up in a bad spot. Rocks give out and slides can happen fast when you apply your body weight into a rock that isn’t as secure as it looks.

Mark-R
07-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Went for an evening hike last night in region 2 and saw 11 goats! 3 billies I was able to get within 200 yards. Never been that close and was cool to see them do their thing in the steep rock band, scraping bedding chewing cud. Then once on top of the ridge I looked through the binos and saw a group of eight feeding along a steep green slope in the distance. Amazing terrain they hang out in.

wildcatter
07-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Been goat hunting a couple times to the south end of Chilco Lake (Franklyin Arm)
It was awesome, tried a few times in the Pemberton area, Duffy Lake but never got it.
Wouldn't mind trying up the Elaho.

hunter fisher
07-06-2018, 09:43 AM
any other goat guys get the 2-11 draw?

BigSlick0109
07-24-2018, 06:57 PM
any other goat guys get the 2-11 draw?

My wife got drawn in 2-11A

bangbangkhan
07-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Anyone here got drawn for 3-15A?

boxhitch
07-25-2018, 10:09 PM
..........Rocks give out and slides can happen fast when you apply your body weight into a rock that isn’t as secure as it looks.Just as much fun as when roots give out on the scrub you are using to pull yourself uphill. That looooong pause, when you look at the wood bits in your hand, just before the sky starts spinning wildly as you go over backwards = priceless

It can be easy to get into goats and with some care to weed out a billy from the nannies, but there is nothing like finding that single, old, yellow haired, long horse-faced Grandpa Billy with a big flowing October coat and pantaloons

Danny_29
07-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Anybody get 3-36? Bought a house in the area and plan to do some looking around, could point you in the direction of some goats.

Astepanuk
07-26-2018, 11:46 AM
cant call my self a Goat hunter yet but sure has heck been doing enough research and reading about identifying Billie's, We are not gong in until Sept 14th hoping that the fur is starting to thicken up by then not overly interested in a short haired Goat any thoughts. Also do you guys typically find goats on South face slopes or they typically where ever you find them.

Thanks

butcher
07-27-2018, 07:10 AM
You should have plenty of hair by mid September. Not winter furry but pretty enough for a nice trophy.

I was thinking about locations I have seen them and can't say south is better than any other. The last three I was in on, two were on an east slope and one was on a ridge top facing north.

Astepanuk
07-27-2018, 01:36 PM
You should have plenty of hair by mid September. Not winter furry but pretty enough for a nice trophy.

I was thinking about locations I have seen them and can't say south is better than any other. The last three I was in on, two were on an east slope and one was on a ridge top facing north.

Thanks Cant stop thinking about our upcoming hunt putting the Miles on my boots in preparation..

JohnS
08-04-2018, 09:52 PM
went for a lookee lookee and low and behold 7 Goats spotted 3 nannies with kids and one nice Billy I know there was more but it was Hot that day so I'm guessing the rest were in the timber :) oh yeah !! and the cardio continues LOL!!

warnniklz
08-05-2018, 03:39 PM
**** yeah good to hear

Rupert Retired
08-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Hey all,
I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag for sept/oct in region 3. Not interested in specifics of the unit really, kinda feel like it’d take something away from any success I might have. That being said my experience with goats is limited to a couple I’ve randomly seen while mule deer hunting. Anyone with insight as far as habits, tactics, where to look, what they eat etc, that is willing to share, I’m all ears! I’m sure I’m not the only one with a tag that might benefit from some knowledge. Anyways, just throwing it out there. Thanks.

Hi Cabled. I am 67 years old and have 11 goat horns hanging. 8 of those are billies. One is in the all-time B&C record book (scores 52), another is in their 3-year award series (scores 49 4/8). Both of those make it into the BC book. The first goat I shot was in 1973, and we thought at that time that any goat was a good goat (it was a nanny). The other two nannies were, one mistake, and the other one was a 19 year old 9 inch nanny (aged according to the BC Wildlife compulsory inspection report). So, I have had some experience in hunting and shooting goats. In addition to mine are those I have been in on, including two for my brother and one for a friend (2/3 were 9 inch billies) So, I am totally open to you asking me anything you would like to ask, I have looked at all the other responses and they have basically answered everything I can think of, but if you have any specific questions about goat hunting, be my guest. I also include other newbies that have gotten a tag. I don't have a magic formula or anything, but will happily answer any questions!

HarryToolips
08-05-2018, 08:29 PM
^^^impressive, would love to see some pics....

HarryToolips
08-05-2018, 08:31 PM
went for a lookee lookee and low and behold 7 Goats spotted 3 nannies with kids and one nice Billy I know there was more but it was Hot that day so I'm guessing the rest were in the timber :) oh yeah !! and the cardio continues LOL!!
Nice, that's good your getting out there and preped for season...GOS area??? One of my partners and I are going out for a scout in 2 weeks, GOS area, should be fun....

mike31154
08-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Haven't hunted goats, but was fortunate to spot a group on a winter backcountry ski trip MU4-20. There's also a herd
just off highway 97 between Peachland & Summerland. Don't reckon those are huntable due to location/proximity to highway.

These guys/gals were a long way off & it was tough to get a decent photo. Certainly gives an idea of how challenging it would be to harvest one in that area.
https://rpalsw.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mxPdOMTxIAq0BR08397Flhjp-H_KMOdsfvxU3u5GUbbY9DdIWwy7_0KuDm61qTUCmYzMIpeBzle IzTV4XlGEZ74mo_OE44YNUFr2dmB02IchiPOZJW7wLjXI2jT2O h1wXHC_80iD2MT9Gg43WRkFt8Tm97NsAXWrtNEP8RP8KENru1n 1KUEGwaGZIXEu5uN3o_CvwEq8WoebD8lXEpklhmw?width=102 4&height=681&cropmode=none

A gentleman that has guided me on backcountry ski trips lives in Kimberley. He is also a climber & related a story of being hired by a guided goat hunter to retrieve a goat he shot. He had to rappel down a cliff to reach the animal on a narrow shelf. Unable to hoist the goat up, he decided to shove it off the shelf sending it down to the bottom for retrieval. Apparently it was quite a mess due to the fall(s). Depending on the terrain, you might want to contact a mountaineer prior to your hunt in case something similar happens to you. Get a quote too, because hiring a mountain guide doesn't come cheap.

ditch donkey
08-06-2018, 10:13 AM
also i’ve learned whenever i hike up after a goat i always pack as if i may have to spend the night on the mountain. either you may have to sit on the goat longer than expected waiting for an opportunity or if you do connect late in the day you may wanna spend the night so your not rushing to cape and process your goat. either way having enough water and food and maybe a sleep bag will adds some comfort, rather than having to wait out the night sleeping in just the cloths your wearing.

JohnS
08-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Nice, that's good your getting out there and preped for season...GOS area??? One of my partners and I are going out for a scout in 2 weeks, GOS area, should be fun....

I got the draw for 4-17 zone C

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Here are some tips that may be helpful to those going after goats this fall:

Always come down a mountain the same way you went up. Pathfinding going up a mountain is easier, you can see the bluffs and impassable areas better. Coming down it is much more difficult. Don't second guess yourself on the way down just because you see a route that looks better, it usually is not and will end at the top of a bluff or worse. Packing halfway back to the top just to find a passable route isn't fun, especially with a heavy pack.

Going up a mountain is always easier than coming down. This is because you are looking for your next handhold, and it is usually about 1 - 2 feet in front of your eyes. Coming down it is the opposite, usually having to grope around blindly with your feet for a purchase while hanging onto a ledge or shrubs or something.

Consider packing a short, light rope that can hold your weight, like nylon braid or something similar. I have used it upon occasion when coming down, as a purchase with one hand (with the rope doubled around a tree or something like that). Also, it can be used to lower your pack over the steep parts so you can then climb down easier. This works good with two people, with the firest one going down without a pack, then having both packs lowered, and then the second hunter's turn.

Don't shoot a goat unless you are sure you can get to it. Usually when picking a route, if there is vegetation you can go there, but not always. Sometimes there is smooth granite with water running down it, and it doesn't have to be that wide to make it unpassable. Remember, it is not worth your life to retrieve an animal, there is no shame to backing out and deciding you didn't really want that goat after all. If you insist on taking a risk, try to mitigate that risk as much as possible by thinking of "what would I do if this happens?". I pack a SPOT emergency locator these days, take advantage of the latest tech for sure.

This is pretty basic for most of you, but don't forget your meat saw (for the skull), and really high-grade your meat as you load it into your pack. No sense packing out something you will trim and discard later.

I used to pack a short (about two feet or so) bit of duct tape. If you have to move your goat from a ledge or something to butcher it in a safer location, tape the horns before you roll it over the bluff to the bigger area below. A friend of mine lost about three inches off one horn, we never found it

That's about all I can think of for now. I will try to dig up a field photo and post it on here later. And remember, there are goats that die of old age every winter up in the mountains, I think it is the best chance of getting a real big one of any species in BC. And my most important bit of advice, have fun and stay safe!

JohnS
08-07-2018, 11:08 AM
https://imgur.com/a/cDb3mz7

that right there is one brute of a billy goat !! oh my day dreams will be even more now :P thanks brother for sharing your pic :)

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Damn, I was trying to post the pic, not the link. Any suggestions?

JohnS
08-07-2018, 11:41 AM
https://i.imgur.com/FJlmOi0.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Thanks JohnS! Maybe I will work on a short story detailing this one. This goat scores 49 4/8, but as you can see, it had a really big body, and was an epic hunt for sure!

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 09:33 PM
OK, so here goes, although it would be better if I knew ore about how to post these pics. This forum sucks big time for posting pics.

HarryToolips
08-07-2018, 09:36 PM
^^^^Gorgeous billy, and great tips.....how far was the pack out??

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 09:41 PM
In 2005, I was 54 years old, and decided I wanted to go geta good Billy. I hadn’t had any success in my LEH applications, and so I had tofind an open area to do this. There are lots of mountain goat open areas on theNorth Coast, and lots of huge Billies – the problem is access (and weather).There are certain lakes you can fly to, but these are limited (and expensive),and get hunted fairly regularly. However, there is a ton of country that isjust waiting for hunters like you and I to figure out a way to get up to them.
My hunting partner and I found an area, but we knew it wouldbe hard to get to – however, we were willing to give it a try. So, in August,we hiked into the area. This was about a two to three hour hike from the truck,to the base of the real mountain. We camped there overnight. We could see (frommaps and such) that there was a stream running down from the alpine, and wethought we could get up to alpine on the left hand side of this stream (lookingup). However, no go. Here is a pic looking sideways from our furthest point ofascent, and another one looking up to where we wanted to go. The coastalweather was also screwing us, as is pretty normal for a coastal goat hunt.
Totally looked pretty dicey,so we backed off and went home, with a bunch of knowledge that we didn’t havepreviously. Nothing like scouting a new area!

https://imgur.com/kfytMJX

​https://imgur.com/HREhlBu

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Next thing we did wasre-group, re-think, studied more maps, and then tried again in September.
On September 9, we again wentinto the area. Here is me at the truck. I knew the first few hours were a “bogslog” as well as having to cross a stream, and so used my chest waders until wehad passed that portion. I then just left them there, and picked them up on theway back.

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 09:52 PM
If someone can pick up my detritus and actually post the pics, that would be nice. I can't believe that I can't do that, but that is how this forum works.

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/oQLa6MU.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:11 PM
That day we had left earlyenough, and knew where we were going, so we were able to hike up the mountain.
We finally broke out into thealpine in early evening, just enough time to set up camp on the only fairlyflat ledge we could find. Here is a pic of that camp the next day, notice that thereis not much level ground anywhere! I actually used this exact same site to campanother time, a few years later, it is literally the only level ground around!

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QBJILnV.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:14 PM
The next day we woke up full of piss and vinegar, as theysay. My hunting partner got up before me, and as I was getting dressed and makingbreakfast, he had already glassed a Billy that he said he wanted. That was finewith me, so after breakfast, he started out his stalk. I stayed just above ourcamp and watched with the spotting scope. I had told him before he left that iswas not a real big one, maybe 8 inches or so, but definitely a Billy.
He shot that one, and it was a decent Billy, about what Ihad figured, 8 ½ inches. Not going to post his pics though.
So, we butchered that one up, and left it spread out on themountain, ready to be picked up on our return trip. I still had a tag, and sothat was what we were focused on.
There were no more goats in the basin we were in, and so wedecided to hike to the top of the mountain and look on the other side.
The slopes here on the coastal range are genuinelytreacherous, usually huge granite slabs with no footholds or anything, justsmooth rock. Any moss or anything that can hold moisture is extremelytreacherous. If you ever started to slide, it would be a quick water slide andover the edge, like 1000 feet or so.

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:16 PM
We made it to the top of the ridge, but had to pick our waycarefully.
Here is a pic of my hunting partner coming up the mountainbehind me.

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0AEO6DN.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:18 PM
We kept climbing, and kept going to the side as well, as youcan see from the next pic, me just about up to the ridge (and on some firmerground!)

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8XAanyI.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:20 PM
The next pic is of the ridge line above us, we had to pick away to look over and still be able to access any goats we saw.

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/XXAupPf.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:21 PM
When we able to look over the ridge-line, we saw goats!Actually, we saw 4 good Billies. This is the only shot I have of that side ofthe mountain, and those three white dots in a line (just below the horizon) areall Billies, about 350 yards away.

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/azRGNW5.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:23 PM
However, we also saw one that was feeding in the timber youcan see in the foreground. After watching for a considerable amount of time, Isaid to my buddy, “I think the closest one is the best one”. He agreed, said hefigured that also, but didn’t want to sway my estimation. The closest one wasjust about exactly 200 yards.
The trees kind of give you an indication of how steepeverything was.
Everything was set up, and so I got down and shot the goat.Bang! Down it went, no problem there. Then I watched the other three Billiesrun over the ridge line, there was one that was pretty good for sure, but minewas still the best.
Then we had to get to my dead Billy. We hiked back to theright to find a way down to the same level it was on, then hiked back again to theleft to get to it. Sure enough, it was a dandy! A huge body on it, ended upscoring 49 4/8, so made both the BC book and the Boone and Crockett 26thBig Game Awards, 2004 – 2006. I shot him on September 10, 2005.

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:24 PM
https://i.imgur.com/741NEL1.jpg

Rupert Retired
08-07-2018, 10:24 PM
So, the end of the story. We still had all kinds ofdaylight, so we caped it and boned it out, then hiked back over the mountainagain and down to my hunting partner’s goat. He loaded his goat up into his bagand we went back to our tent.
The next day we started down, and we struggled hard all thatday. Our packs were incredibly heavy! We were going downhill and all, butstill, it was hard. There was a stretch of Devils Club about 200 yards acrossthat took us ages to cross. Then I thought there was a better way down by goingstraight down for a stretch, instead of going side-hill. That was a bigmistake. So, anyway, in the end we got to the truck just at dusk, so didn’thave to hike in the dark or decide whether to camp or anything. But it wasbrutal, believe me!
So that is the story of my 2005 Record Book Rocky MountainGoat! Hope you have enjoyed the story!

kootenaihunter
08-08-2018, 07:18 AM
Great story! This is inspiration for my upcoming hunt!

labguy
08-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Great goat Rupert! If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you accomplished this. My last goat I got at 61 years and it about did me in.

Astepanuk
08-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Great story sure makes me look forward to my first goat hunt in September.....

wideopenthrottle
08-08-2018, 03:04 PM
great story and thanks for sharing....

Rupert Retired
08-09-2018, 03:24 PM
I was 54 years old that year.

Great goat Rupert! If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you accomplished this. My last goat I got at 61 years and it about did me in.

RackStar
08-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Great story and write up! Nice goat

HarryToolips
08-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Great writeup and story Rupert, and congrats, what a gorgeous billy....depending on what my partner and I find on our GOS scout in the next couple of weeks, we may be doing a GOS goat hunt in October....I'm thinking if there's snow already up higher it could be sketchy...if there isn't, I'm guessing they'll still be up high, until snow starts pushing them down - has anybody else had much experience hunting goats in Oct?

labguy
08-10-2018, 06:59 AM
Great writeup and story Rupert, and congrats, what a gorgeous billy....depending on what my partner and I find on our GOS scout in the next couple of weeks, we may be doing a GOS goat hunt in October....I'm thinking if there's snow already up higher it could be sketchy...if there isn't, I'm guessing they'll still be up high, until snow starts pushing them down - has anybody else had much experience hunting goats in Oct?

Goats don't usually move to winter range ( lower elevations) until the snow pushes them down (usually mid to late November depending on area and snow conditions).

Winter range goats are easier to access but tougher to spot. A few hundred feet in elevation difference is huge in goat country. If your hunting in snow, crampons are a great addition and give amazing footing in the right conditions.

If it's an early snow the goats may be lower which will make your hunt easier. A clear, cold day is perfect for hunting late season goats.

Not knowing which area your hunting I'd guess the goats will still be on summer range in October but you never know. My favorite time to hunt them is late November as the hair is prime (but the meat is terrible) and they are usually on winter range by then hanging with the nannies.

Whatever time you hunt goats will be an adventure.

The above information is about interior goats. I have no experience with coastal goats. Good luck and have fun.

S.W.A.T.
08-10-2018, 08:09 AM
I've been searching for a kimber. 270WSM for goat hunting. What is everyone else using? I've seen guys go with everything from 22-250 to 30-06

HarryToolips
08-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Goats don't usually move to winter range ( lower elevations) until the snow pushes them down (usually mid to late November depending on area and snow conditions).

Winter range goats are easier to access but tougher to spot. A few hundred feet in elevation difference is huge in goat country. If your hunting in snow, crampons are a great addition and give amazing footing in the right conditions.

If it's an early snow the goats may be lower which will make your hunt easier. A clear, cold day is perfect for hunting late season goats.

Not knowing which area your hunting I'd guess the goats will still be on summer range in October but you never know. My favorite time to hunt them is late November as the hair is prime (but the meat is terrible) and they are usually on winter range by then hanging with the nannies.

Whatever time you hunt goats will be an adventure.

The above information is about interior goats. I have no experience with coastal goats. Good luck and have fun.

Excellent, thanks for the info bud...great idea about the crampons...

Astepanuk
08-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Don't laugh at my caliber of choice but I will going in with my Christensen Arms Summit TI in 300 RUM topped with a Swarovski Z3 guns weighs 7Lbs 7 OZ.

mike31154
08-10-2018, 08:17 PM

The photo I put in post #59
was taken mid February and we were heading into a col just below Mt. Lindsay. My guess is the ridge they were on was over 2,000 meters. Not sure snow pushes them down in any permanent fashion, but that's just a guess on my part.

HarryToolips
08-10-2018, 10:47 PM
^^^^i imagine they can stay higher for longer into the winter when they're on wind swept ridges, but I could be wrong....great pic, they are very tough, cool critters..

bc_archer
09-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Very good advice from many hunters.
One thing I have used quite successfully on several goat hunts is a set (or a few sets since they get torn up) of "Whites," otherwise known as disposable Tyevek or painters coveralls. They are lightweigh and work wonderfully when getting caught flatfooted in the open without cover when stalking goats. You can see the change in their body language; they go from being alert and on edge to being at ease and relaxing while continuing to feed or bed down. If you have no option but to approach from below, wearing "Whites" will allow you to get in range...even bow range. They think its just another goat. Of course you can't be talking and clanging metal and walking upwind of them, but it covers off the visible aspect and they even have hoods so you are almost completely white. If hunting heavy hunted areas you might want a bit of orange but I've never hunted goats where that's been a problem.

j270wsm
09-09-2018, 06:34 PM
^^^^i imagine they can stay higher for longer into the winter when they're on wind swept ridges, but I could be wrong....great pic, they are very tough, cool critters..

Goats are extremely tough. I've watched them travel hundreds of yards in chest deep snow. I've also seen them kick a path through a 5' cornice to get on top of a ridge

Timberjack
09-09-2018, 07:48 PM
I've been searching for a kimber. 270WSM for goat hunting. What is everyone else using? I've seen guys go with everything from 22-250 to 30-06

All the goats I've been in on have been either 270win or 30-06. A well known goat hunting guide out of alaska said most of his goats were taken with a 257 roberts with regular old soft point bullets. He contended the shock of a fast expanding soft point deer bullet did better on goats than high powered magnums or better constructed bullets like a tsx etc... I don't really know. I've used accubonds with great success on goat, and the 270 has been more than adequate.

I'll be leaving for a region 3 hunt in a week so getting pumped now!!!

TJ

RyoTHC
09-09-2018, 08:21 PM
All the goats I've been in on have been either 270win or 30-06. A well known goat hunting guide out of alaska said most of his goats were taken with a 257 roberts with regular old soft point bullets. He contended the shock of a fast expanding soft point deer bullet did better on goats than high powered magnums or better constructed bullets like a tsx etc... I don't really know. I've used accubonds with great success on goat, and the 270 has been more than adequate.

I'll be leaving for a region 3 hunt in a week so getting pumped now!!!

TJ

I don't have anything to add but after reading this thread, best of luck on your region three hunt.. goat is something I'd like to get into sooner rather than later. The solitude sounds appealing !

Astepanuk
09-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Heading into 6-17 on Friday cannot wait hope the forecast holds because it’s looking like a beauty week ahead. Good luck everyone can’t wait to share our story with you all.

decker9
09-10-2018, 06:22 AM
Heading into 6-17 on Friday cannot wait hope the forecast holds because it’s looking like a beauty week ahead. Good luck everyone can’t wait to share our story with you all.

Its been a long time coming for you hasn’t it!? The anticipation must be through the roof by now lol. Good luck to you and your partners!! Be safe!! Looking forward to a good goat story and pics when you get back!! :D

Astepanuk
09-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Its been a long time coming for you hasn’t it!? The anticipation must be through the roof by now lol. Good luck to you and your partners!! Be safe!! Looking forward to a good goat story and pics when you get back!! :D
You bet it has I sure hope all the training preparation and pestering of you guys pays off.

JohnS
09-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Oh the day dreams are starting to become real..... lets see them goat pics :)

RJHunter
09-20-2018, 09:10 PM
I love goat hunting but I'm not sure I really have much to share. When looking back at our goat hunt pictures over the years I think the scenery and memories of hunting with good friends and family stands out more than any of the Goats we have harvested.

https://i.imgur.com/lQ8zuoC.jpg

Jelvis
09-21-2018, 07:51 AM
Goat hunters are for real folks! I gotta take my hat off!
Jelly - Goat hunters are in shape people! Well done hunters --

Wapiti5
09-21-2018, 03:13 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7105&stc=1Good luck folks! I have a goat tag for North Selkirk zone in region 4 this year. Taking off Oct 7 to Oct 18! Picture of a waterfall I came across while doing some summer scouting.

mike31154
09-21-2018, 07:32 PM
I love goat hunting but I'm not sure I really have much to share. When looking back at our goat hunt pictures over the years I think the scenery and memories of hunting with good friends and family stands out more than any of the Goats we have harvested.

Amazing! Great photo. That there's a magazine cover, if there is still such a thing....

JohnS
09-22-2018, 06:47 AM
Good luck folks! Goat tag for zone in region 4 this year.
I drew the tag for region 4 zone C :) what zone u draw

Wapiti5
09-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Zone B. Includes Downie Creek, Carnes, Keystone and up to the south side of the Goldstream. Also drew a bull moose LEH in there but goat is priority and moose is a freezer filler. Going to be busy times

HarryToolips
09-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Incredible pic............

HarryToolips
09-23-2018, 08:45 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7105&stc=1Good luck folks! I have a goat tag for North Selkirk zone in region 4 this year. Taking off Oct 7 to Oct 18! Picture of a waterfall I came across while doing some summer scouting.
A buddy and I may be doing GOS in region four north, at the same time: how bad do you think the snow will be??