PDA

View Full Version : New Regs 2018-2020

jacksondog
06-25-2018, 08:18 PM
http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/synopsis/hunting-trapping-synopsis-2018-2020.pdf (http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/synopsis/hunting-trapping-synopsis-2018-2020.pdf) Sorry if it's been posted already.

jacksondog
06-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Was hoping for a change to the Elk season but no real major changes for region 4.

4 point
06-25-2018, 08:59 PM
So reading the 2018/2020 reg for Region 3 it’s 1 mule deer period. So having a LEH doe tag to me looks like if you shoot a buck in the GOS you can’t use the doe LEH tag. Looking forward to some extra peperonni but I guess not this year. Just wasted $6.30.

silvertipp
06-25-2018, 09:04 PM
So reading the 2018/2020 reg for Region 3 it’s 1 mule deer period. So having a LEH doe tag to me looks like if you shoot a buck in the GOS you can’t use the doe LEH tag. Looking forward to some extra peperonni but I guess not this year. Just wasted $6.30.

you can always take your buck in a different region

lovemywinchester
06-25-2018, 09:08 PM
you can always take your buck in a different region

I believe it's one mulie for the province now with a few exceptions.

"but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3,4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined."

Jelvis
06-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Looks like 1 mule deer for the region 3 and 2 whitetail for bag limit --
Jel -- one mule now -- it used to be 4 mules when I was young -- now it's 1 - civilization has spread over the years --

Harvest the Land
06-25-2018, 09:29 PM
Still 2 blacktail bucks allowed in Region 2, so couldn't you still shoot one blacktail buck in Reg 2 and another mule deer buck in Reg 3? Now compulsory inspection for all moose in 3-39 during spike fork open season - all other areas in Reg 3 still same moose regs as last synopsis

Mulehahn
06-25-2018, 09:32 PM
I predict there is going to be a huge spike in Mule Deer Doe LEH applications in Region 5 next year. If you get that you can then take a buck anywhere in 3,5, or 8. Guess they really want to test this "meat hunter" theory to the limit. If no cares about antlers then what is the problem with only being able to take a doe?

Treed
06-25-2018, 10:23 PM
I fell asleep getting from page 48 to 49 in region 4. There were 24 pages of adds!!! Crazy!! They changed regs further restricting hunting around ‘developments’ at sun peaks. Wish it was still Todd Mnt. Didn’t realize there was a turkey problem on the Island!

303savage
06-26-2018, 02:48 AM
Licensed grizzly bear hunting is banned in B.C.

What the heck does that mean?

303savage
06-26-2018, 02:53 AM
Hunters are now required to carry all species licences obtained orheld for the current licence year, including both cancelled and uncancelled,
while hunting
Does that mean they are going back to the old style booklet lic. system they use to have.

Travalanche
06-26-2018, 05:23 AM
What the heck does that mean?

It means you can only hunt them if you are a person who doesn't require a license to hunt.

Travalanche
06-26-2018, 05:41 AM
Does that mean they are going back to the old style booklet lic. system they use to have.

No. They mail you your licenses, the same ones we have now, and you keep them all together with you at all times while hunting.

russm
06-26-2018, 06:09 AM
No. They mail you your licenses, the same ones we have now, and you keep them all together with you at all times while hunting.

Some people seem to really struggle with this concept.

Piperdown
06-26-2018, 06:27 AM
I see 6-04 the gos it still on the books only 3 days though and they kept the bow seasons, i can live with that. Fricking gos is a zoo so try not to hunt it anyways

Jelvis
06-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Anyone know what is all included under ATV's -- other than an obvious quad?
Jel -- gimme feed back

silvertipp
06-26-2018, 09:32 AM
I believe it's one mulie for the province now with a few exceptions.

"but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3,4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined."

REGIONAL BAG LIMITS 4Deer:The bag limit for mule (black- tailed) deer is 2, but only one may be a buck. Antlerless mule (black-tailed) deer are under Limited Entry Hunting only.The bag limit for white-tailed deer is 1.
this is region five
the way I read this I would say one buck and one doe

Jelvis
06-26-2018, 09:41 AM
1 mule buck, And 1 mule doe butt, the doe has to be on LEH, so now apply for LEH Mule Deer Antlerless for reg 3 in able to bag 2 mules
Jel -- 2 mule - one only buck - and 1 leh antlerless mule --- Mule bucks in general open season --> September, (Any Buck October, and 4 Point Season) into December --

Astepanuk
06-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Hey Guys quick question for you looking at the zone we are planning on hunting has Bull Moose as available however doesn't say specific what kind of bull reading the descriptions says it must be bearing visible bony Antler. but when you look at the moose description has 3 different classes Spike-fork Bull , 10 Point Bull or Tripalm Bull. Just wondering what the actual requirement is Zone we are applying for is 6-17. Does it mean unless other wise noted with that 4 leaf clover thing its open to any Bull moose.

Thanks

monasheemountainman
06-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Hey Guys quick question for you looking at the zone we are planning on hunting has Bull Moose as available however doesn't say specific what kind of bull reading the descriptions says it must be bearing visible bony Antler. but when you look at the moose description has 3 different classes Spike-fork Bull , 10 Point Bull or Tripalm Bull. Just wondering what the actual requirement is Zone we are applying for is 6-17. Does it mean unless other wise noted with that 4 leaf clover thing its open to any Bull moose.

Thanks
If

if it says bull moose it means just that, bull moose. no antler restrictions other than it must have them

tyreguy
06-26-2018, 03:13 PM
Quick copy and paste below. i have a Mule doe draw for Kamloops so i had to really read this to get it - i can shoot my doe in Reg 3 but thats it for Mule in that region, however i can go to another region - say R4 and take a Mule Buck as long as i do not exceed my Provincial limits. But only 1 buck from the said regions.
I see this being a head scratcher for lots of hunters!!

The Provincial bag limit for deer is 3 (not including Haida Gwaii/QCI). Hunters may not harvest more than 3 deer in one licence year,but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3,4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined.Hunters may harvest 3 white-taileddeer (if they purchase 3 white-taileddeer licenses), or 3 mule (blacktailed)deer (if they purchase 3mule (black-tailed) deer licenses), ora combination of white-tailed andmule (black-tailed) deer (1+2 or2+1) providing they do not exceedthe provincial limit of 3 and notmore than 1 mule (black-tailed)deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5,6 ,7A, 7B and 8 combined. Thereason hunters may purchase morethan 3 deer licenses in total is toprovide hunters with the flexibilityto harvest any combination of white-tailed or mule (black-tailed) deer upto a maximum of 3.

DarekG
06-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Some people seem to really struggle with this concept.

The concept I'm struggling with is why the government thought it was a good idea to go to from a consolidated booklet to loose tags, and add provisions to potentially criminalize hunters. There are some years that I legitimately forget what old tags I have/had that aren't relevant for the current season or hunt and my only reminder was to flip open my booklet.

Now if I'm out and about and get questioned by a conservation officer and I forgot that I bought 2 bear tags this year instead of 1 I'm going to get fined or worse?

Jelvis
06-26-2018, 05:58 PM
You'll have to try to keep the tags together from the start, And don't take them apart except when needed.
-- try not to separate the tags from the home base, all neatly stacked to gedder --
Jel -- be conscious of your tags and keep them together on your watch --

Treed
06-26-2018, 09:53 PM
I put my PAL and Tags in a ziplock. If I go hunting it comes with me. Keeps it all in one package.

cuervosail
06-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Is MU 2-1 the only one in the entire province where there is no open season on any species? I don't see anything in the either this or the LEH synopsis. There must be a lot of animals there because nobody is allowed to hunt anything.

stevo911_
06-27-2018, 10:21 AM
Quick copy and paste below. i have a Mule doe draw for Kamloops so i had to really read this to get it - i can shoot my doe in Reg 3 but thats it for Mule in that region, however i can go to another region - say R4 and take a Mule Buck as long as i do not exceed my Provincial limits. But only 1 buck from the said regions.
I see this being a head scratcher for lots of hunters!!

The Provincial bag limit for deer is 3 (not including Haida Gwaii/QCI). Hunters may not harvest more than 3 deer in one licence year,but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3,4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined.Hunters may harvest 3 white-taileddeer (if they purchase 3 white-taileddeer licenses), or 3 mule (blacktailed)deer (if they purchase 3mule (black-tailed) deer licenses), ora combination of white-tailed andmule (black-tailed) deer (1+2 or2+1) providing they do not exceedthe provincial limit of 3 and notmore than 1 mule (black-tailed)deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5,6 ,7A, 7B and 8 combined. Thereason hunters may purchase morethan 3 deer licenses in total is toprovide hunters with the flexibilityto harvest any combination of white-tailed or mule (black-tailed) deer upto a maximum of 3.

I've been debating this with a bunch of people on the hunting facebook groups, who seem to think (and are advising others), if they take an LEH doe in region 3, a buck in region 8 can't be taken. Apparently one of them was told that by a CO :/ It's pretty crazy how hard people are struggling with this. At least I'm literate and maybe there will be less pressure in region 8 where I plan to take a buck, alongside my region 3 doe :)

dmaxtech
06-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Is MU 2-1 the only one in the entire province where there is no open season on any species? I don't see anything in the either this or the LEH synopsis. There must be a lot of animals there because nobody is allowed to hunt anything.

MU 2-1 and part of 2-17 are Manning Park. Only parts of 2-17 allow hunting, 2-1 is closed to all hunting except with a bumper.

lovemywinchester
06-27-2018, 11:02 AM
I've been debating this with a bunch of people on the hunting facebook groups, who seem to think (and are advising others), if they take an LEH doe in region 3, a buck in region 8 can't be taken. Apparently one of them was told that by a CO :/ It's pretty crazy how hard people are struggling with this. At least I'm literate and maybe there will be less pressure in region 8 where I plan to take a buck, alongside my region 3 doe :)

It's quite clear in the regs. I think people need to READ the regs instead of just scanning over them. People are ******ed these days from staring at phones and computers all day.

Jelvis
06-27-2018, 11:52 AM
I think you can take a buck mule in 3 even if you take your LEH mule antlerless there.?
Just one buck tho is thee point being made, 1 mule buck period.
Jel -- Like Billy Joel -- you could be wrong and I may be rye hite -- check it over -- and see if i'm correct --

dmaxtech
06-27-2018, 12:07 PM
I think you can take a buck mule in 3 even if you take your LEH mule antlerless there.?
Just one buck tho is thee point being made, 1 mule buck period.
Jel -- Like Billy Joel -- you could be wrong and I may be rye hite -- check it over -- and see if i'm correct --

No Jel, Chart on pg 17 of Synopsis, only 1 Mule in reg 3, Buck or LEH doe. Reg limit is 1 (in green). If you have LEH would have to get buck in other region.

Jelvis
06-27-2018, 12:17 PM
dmaxtech thanx for the wonderful lay out showing this, page 17 only i mule in reg 3, buck or LEH doe.
Jel -- HBC members know their stuff, like dmaxtech shows here folks.

pg83
06-27-2018, 05:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RDTghqJ.jpg

I think it's pretty easy to understand.

"Hunters cannot harvest deer in excess of the sex, species, regional, or provincial bag limits"

Jelvis
06-27-2018, 05:49 PM
pg83 knows Bo! You know how to use thee technology and can present some great stuff here --- appreciate it!
Jel -- nice page by 83 -- we need more ---

Ltbullken
06-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Has anyone missed that there is no ATV use for hunting in 3-28-, 3-29, 3-30?

bighornbob
06-28-2018, 08:42 AM

That came in last year.

BHB

Ltbullken
06-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post

That came in last year.

BHB

I'm looking at the 2016-2018 regs and don't see anything about that. The reg is printed in green in the new regs which means it is a new addition.

bighornbob
06-28-2018, 09:22 AM

I'm looking at the 2016-2018 regs and don't see anything about that. The reg is printed in green in the new regs which means it is a new addition.

It was brought in after the fires last year. So basically right before hunting season it came in.

BHB

dmaxtech
06-28-2018, 09:26 AM

Where are you seeing that? I can't seem to find it. What page? Found it. pg.43. Guess it's time to get a Samurai.

Astepanuk
06-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Hey Guys Noticed in the reg's it states To hunt wildlife within 6 hours of being airborne in an aircraft other than a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft.

I had always though it was 24Hrs not that I have flown in yet but we are planning to in September.

dino
06-28-2018, 10:00 AM
It wont be in the regs. It was a ban due to the fire season. Regs came out before the ban.

Hublocker
06-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Exactly. It is not that hard for a person with normal reading skills to read the regulations synopsis.

257stew
06-28-2018, 10:37 AM
They should have just kept the booklet system for tags, was a lot simpler and worked well. Now if a guy goes goat or sheep hunting in August he needs to carry his tag with him while deer hunting in Nov. on the QCI. lol. And how do they know you are not producing a tag? They would know because they see you bought one on their handheld device. They just want to know if you cancelled a tag, that's it...period. Then they would check to make sure you got it inspected (if required) and who may have butchered it or at what taxidermist its at etc.
Also just one more thing they can fine you for. Makes no sense to me.

dmaxtech
06-28-2018, 12:14 PM
The reason for having to carry all your tags now is to prove where you cancelled your mule deer tags. If you only carried 1 tag but had bought 2 then they need proof of where that tag was cancelled due to regional limits being different. The proof of where you cancelled your tags is only on the tag so that is why you need to carry your cancelled tags with you. They don't care about you single goat or moose tags, but is more complicated to say people need to carry all their deer tags.

DarekG
06-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Manufactured problem that didn't exist before, or at least it wasn't any different? A big part of hunting and being a license holder is honor, unfortunately that is the fault of the system but there is no fix for it.

You hear about guys that try to not cut their legal and valid tags if they don't need to, just keep it on your lap and hope they can snip the tag in the time it takes to stop for a CO.

scotty30-06
06-28-2018, 02:09 PM
^^^thats messed up....that kind of stuff pisses me off.

Jelvis
06-28-2018, 02:17 PM
The old tin kind you used to clip them togedder and they locked tight, some people flattened them and pretended they were locked.
Jel -- sneaky Pete -- Lyin Larry -- lil scarey -- way back -- Cheatin --

Wild one
06-28-2018, 02:30 PM
^^^thats messed up....that kind of stuff pisses me off.

Sadly lots of poachers in BC

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
06-28-2018, 04:01 PM
There's much, much more gov't over-reach and make believe problems so they can grow gov't even more obese and oppressive than there is poaching in BC.

Wild one
06-28-2018, 04:04 PM
There's much, much more gov't over-reach and make believe problems so they can grow gov't even more obese and oppressive than there is poaching in BC.

I would say that varies depending on location and species

Jelvis
06-28-2018, 04:05 PM
The government is made up of levels, the bottom up, one boss on top of another boss and up to the top.
Jel -- dats Y

Rupert Retired
06-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Not a big deal to have to carry all your tags (now species licences) you have bought for BC hunting in the current season, cancelled or not. The trade-off is that you no longer need to carry a licence! So there is that. I always carry all my authorizations in a separate,
small waterproof wallet or case. Why would you want to carry all your hunting and fishing stuff in your everyday wallet, that's absolutely perverse! Currently I have my current tags (which have changed their names to species licences), my fishing licences, my PAL (in case I need to buy more ammo, right?), my BCWF card (for insurance purposes on my quad), and my recreational boating license. I carry this waterproof wallet zippered up in an inside pocket of my favorite outside jacket, one that I always take with me when I go adventuring. So, find a safe place that will always be with you on your outdoor quests (such as a jacket or vest, etc) and you can do this too!

Grizzloonly
06-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Where are you seeing that? I can't seem to find it. What page? Found it. pg.43. Guess it's time to get a Samurai.

There is also an off-road ban (https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018FLNR0122-000925)within the Elephant Hill perimeter.

dmaxtech
06-29-2018, 07:53 AM
There is also an off-road ban (https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018FLNR0122-000925)within the Elephant Hill perimeter.

Yes, was already aware of that one, but this new ban extends further in that hunting on a road with an ATV is now banned.

Jelvis
06-29-2018, 08:09 AM
dmaxtech ahead of the game folks, with new update extending further now, take a look -- whoa!
Jel - we got the best on HBC up to dates with dmax -- we got it -- off-road ban update

boxhitch
06-29-2018, 08:18 AM
There's much, much more gov't over-reach and make believe problems so they can grow gov't even more obese and oppressive than there is poaching in BC.Actually, more regs are created in response to enforcement issues and problems than anyone wants on the books. If there is a loophole , someone will exploit it and when it gets out of hand a rule is created

Like the new 'no permit to accompany for goats in 7'........there was a problem of some sort so now its fixed

06-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Actually, more regs are created in response to enforcement issues and problems than anyone wants on the books. If there is a loophole , someone will exploit it and when it gets out of hand a rule is created

Like the new 'no permit to accompany for goats in 7'........there was a problem of some sort so now its fixed

With the difference between something like banning the Griz Hunt for anyone who's sans Status card under the Indian Act/treaty(ies) and actual management issues like limiting participation in a GOS and/or general NA Model Wildlife management practices is clearly seen, I do disagree and stand by my initial statement.
That said, provided by "anyone" you mean gov't (current regimes in Ottawa and Victoria as of this writing) - Then yes, they certainly do not want any accurate data/reports on the books. Under previous gov'ts such reports and info were readily available online, everything from CO reports from BCCOS to illegal firearms smuggling data from Stats Can to police use of force incident reporting it was all there... Now that data appears to be unobtainium outside of making a request under the Freedom of Information protocols under the Law. The attitude displayed in your comment appears to be one that thinks people can effectivley legislate against evil (Nope, evil doesn't care about the Law unless it can twist it to its nefarious ends) and if enough nanny state legislation gets passed, like so much gas, that we'll all somehow get out of life alive.... Again nope.

boxhitch
06-29-2018, 07:11 PM
Then yes, they certainly do not want any accurate data/reports on the books.Topic is regulations. What has data got to do with these?
But while on that topic, what data have you actually personally had trouble obtaining? My simple queries have been answered often and openly.

The attitude displayed in your comment appears to be one that thinks people can effectivley legislate against evilNo attitude here, just pointing out why some regs are actually created.

You take quite the leap , including evil, nefarious, and getting out alive, in a conversation on hunting regs.

06-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Hey Boxhitch, I'll have you know bad mosquitoes in the bush can be nefarious. Poaching's evil! If a season's closed (kinda like maybe your mind might be, sometimes, at least when it comes to analogy - just sayin' :) ) alot more might just get out alive in the anti's mindset. Hence why they arbritarily ganked our Griz seasons* I know that to be the case many times over from personal exposure to such. A Hunt banned, Hunter prevented from going afield is a life saved to such a mindset. Of course never mind the abortion they just had out of convenience and lack of personal responsibility and all those thousands of animal lives lost to wind turbines and landscape change they benefit from. Even an ultra low carbon footprint vegan kills to live. It's wrong thinking, plain and simple from antis.

What does data have to do with regs is nutzo! You're kiddin' me. 5 W's of Hunting Regulation worldwide has been more than a passing interest of mine for more than a few years now.

What (recent) Canadian sourced data I have been personally looking for includes -
1) Number of illegal firearms smuggled into Canada RCMP/Canada Border Services data per anum - Known figure of seizures vs best educated guess estimate.
2)Number of LEH authourizations won compared to number of those who Purchased Species Licenses under said Authorizations.
3)Enforcement Report from CO's like they used to have that state Convictions, especially for violations under the Wildlife Act.

Furthermore I assure you, poetic license is no leap! Good day.

boxhitch
06-29-2018, 09:18 PM
trying to get my head around your analogies....which are 'out there' imo )

1) you think they produce data for 'best guesses'?
(just heard a stat for Canada Post interceptions of packages with firearms)
2) can be found with some digging, may be included in annual harvest reports
3) You mean these?
"Quarterly Environmental Enforcement Summary
2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/research-monitoring-reporting/"

Not looking for conflict, just some ramblings )
keep'n it lite

Jelvis
06-29-2018, 09:28 PM
Let's not Box this thread in and get Choked up hunters, whoa!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------New Regs 18 n 20
Jelly -- just dah facts mam -- hahahaha

06-29-2018, 10:00 PM

3) You mean these?

keep'n it lite

Excellent, thanks. Ya they're clorful at times jajaa! Yet not histrionic or without bases. Now as per Educated guesses? Indeed, something like extrapolated data based on various busts as they also do for any next type of whatever's deemed contraband.

In the case of the post you've qouted initially Sir Boxhitch, it's about the arbitrary social management practices as per (Yep!!! You guessed it ~GRIZ BAN, oi vey) Griz ban.

06-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Let's not Box this thread in and get Choked up hunters, whoa!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------New Regs 18 n 20
Jelly -- just dah facts mam -- hahahaha

LOLZ!!!!!!!! I love it Jel - Solly- Mon we're having a beauty day here inder the sun in the phenom BC!

Also, shooting the chit about rationale vis a vis motivations behind regulatory changes and data and/or ideas that may influence that is a classic part of any good forum. It's propa decorum, guvna!

06-29-2018, 10:11 PM

3) You mean these?

keep'n it lite

Oh also can you send any additional links to the data mentioned plz? They'd surely be a good resource and enrich the thread.

HarryToolips
06-30-2018, 11:30 AM
-Good to see they left the any buck mule deer season intact in the regions where it was last reg. cycle, with the limit of 1 buck in regions 3 through 8 I think that will help...
-Was pleasantly surprised to see they left the WK 6 pt elk season the same...glad they left it, should be the same as in reg 8 IMO...
-Black bear season should include the summer months
-Wolf and coyote season should never be closed, and no bag limit...
-too bad they got rid of the any buck bow only season for mule deer in reg 8, that is always a fun hunt with the recurve (yet to bag one)

My opinions only..

Wild one
06-30-2018, 01:47 PM
-Good to see they left the any buck mule deer season intact in the regions where it was last reg. cycle, with the limit of 1 buck in regions 3 through 8 I think that will help...
-Was pleasantly surprised to see they left the WK 6 pt elk season the same...glad they left it, should be the same as in reg 8 IMO...
-too bad they got rid of the any buck bow only season for mule deer in reg 8, that is always a fun hunt with the recurve (yet to bag one)

My opinions only..

Odd the archery season that would be lower impact was cut but this is BC

stro52
06-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Bow only season, bucks, mule deer is still there

Wild one
06-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Bow only season, bucks, mule deer is still there

Dec bow season is gone

huntinnewbie
06-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Dec. bow season was taken away and LEH doe was given to youth only, Reg. 8

stan
06-30-2018, 07:34 PM

My opinions only..
You my friend have your head up your ass with regard to region 8 mule deer

stan
06-30-2018, 07:41 PM
Odd the archery season that would be lower impact was cut but this is BC
Agreed , to leave the most liberal any buck season intact when the range Is nothing but cut blocks and roads and remove the late archery season that results in minimal harvest of bucks that have already bred multiple does is bizarre

stan
06-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Where’s the genius bcwf ? Shouldn’t they have lobbied for the sake of actual healthy mule deer populations . Won’t be huntable mule deer in region 3 or 8 soon guaranteed.all about October pot shots in cut blocks I guess. Whatever no salmon to fish for or game to hunt soon.

boxhitch
06-30-2018, 08:33 PM
salmon and mule deer = apples and oranges

stan, sounds like you still think the regulated buck harvest has something to do with the perceived decline of mule deer populations, in the face of science that says otherwise
sorry

06-30-2018, 08:36 PM
I would love to talk shit but have not Hunted Mulies in 3 or 8 - All Mulie Hunts 7a and now 4. Ha! Everyone relax, there's still lots to do and populations go up and down. Not that long ago the Wild Turkey scenario south of Canada was not good and now - More than ever! Things can recover.

HarryToolips
06-30-2018, 08:53 PM
You my friend have your head up your ass with regard to region 8 mule deer
Are you seeing a lack of offspring??? I'm not.....has there been any conclusions to the recent mule deer study that I'm not aware of?? When they initiated the study I believe they mentioned that the pregnancy rates were 100% here in reg 8, so please enlighten us on what I'm missing here....

Continued loss of winter range due to development in reg 8, now there's a problem...

stan
07-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Are you seeing a lack of offspring??? I'm not.....has there been any conclusions to the recent mule deer study that I'm not aware of?? When they initiated the study I believe they mentioned that the pregnancy rates were 100% here in reg 8, so please enlighten us on what I'm missing here....

Continued loss of winter range due to development in reg 8, now there's a problem...
Basic math 100% percent of nothing is nothing.hows shed hunting? A mere pittance of the old days in 8 it’s a fact guy.pressure on all fronts, no cover up top, loss of winter range and hunting pressure from the burgeoning Okanagan population all factors. The reg changes don’t address the problem . Manage for quality not quantity.

notyalc
07-01-2018, 02:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RDTghqJ.jpg

I think it's pretty easy to understand.

"Hunters cannot harvest deer in excess of the sex, species, regional, or provincial bag limits"

i haven’t read the new regs yet but I was starting to get confused about what everyone was talking about. If this chart is confusing people, then they probably should just stay home this season, it seems VERY straight forward and easy to understand.

HarryToolips
07-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Basic math 100% percent of nothing is nothing.hows shed hunting? A mere pittance of the old days in 8 it’s a fact guy.pressure on all fronts, no cover up top, loss of winter range and hunting pressure from the burgeoning Okanagan population all factors. The reg changes don’t address the problem . Manage for quality not quantity.
100% of nothing, whachew on man??? 100% of the does tested were pregnant....and I've found a few sheds...the main issue is loss of winter range IMO...however, I do agree that there needs to be more FSR de-activation in reg 8....

Jelvis
07-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Might have to cut atv's in 8, like in Mu 3-28 has done for hunting use. This will help the deer and the C.O.s --
Jello Hello

HappyJack
07-01-2018, 06:26 PM
They should restrict how many deer tags are good for each MU. If 100,000 people buy a mule deer tag they shouldn't all be allowed to hunt MU 3-11. What you think of this idea?

stan
07-01-2018, 06:33 PM
100% of nothing, whachew on man??? 100% of the does tested were pregnant....and I've found a few sheds...the main issue is loss of winter range IMO...however, I do agree that there needs to be more FSR de-activation in reg 8....
I’m on reality fella, mule deer are hurtin bad in 8 and leaving a wide open buck season for a month is ******ed, what possibly is gained from the late archery closure? Piss poor management with no real opposition.you should know this judging from your expert opinion posts.

Ltbullken
07-01-2018, 08:13 PM
It was brought in after the fires last year. So basically right before hunting season it came in.

BHB

Understood but that was for the fire affected areas only and now it is a reg for the whole MU for the next 2 years and even in an area that was not affected by fire.

HarryToolips
07-01-2018, 10:03 PM
I’m on reality fella, mule deer are hurtin bad in 8 and leaving a wide open buck season for a month is ******ed, what possibly is gained from the late archery closure? Piss poor management with no real opposition.you should know this judging from your expert opinion posts.
I and many others observed a peak in mule deer numbers in reg 8 in about 2009...thats when i started hunting, but I was in the bush a lot before then...they are down from that peak in my observations, but their numbers have been steady for the last 4-5 years from my observations, even increasing in the west of reg 4, which is a good sign....again, I do agree that more road de activation needs to happen, up I don't believe their numbers are as bleak as you think....half day of hunting this season early November when my buddy and I shot a 4 pt, we counted 50...there's still areas holding good numbers..

mastercaster
07-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Might have to cut atv's in 8, like in Mu 3-28 has done for hunting use. This will help the deer and the C.O.s --
Jello Hello

That might help. Just deactivated a lot more roads will also help. Another thing,,,,I'm all for seeing the youth get into hunting but giving them the whole month of September seems a little extravagant when all the other regions only give from Sept 1 -9 for the youth to harvest a mule deer.

stan
07-02-2018, 05:20 AM
I and many others observed a peak in mule deer numbers in reg 8 in about 2009...thats when i started hunting, but I was in the bush a lot before then...they are down from that peak in my observations, but their numbers have been steady for the last 4-5 years from my observations, even increasing in the west of reg 4, which is a good sign....again, I do agree that more road de activation needs to happen, up I don't believe their numbers are as bleak as you think....half day of hunting this season early November when my buddy and I shot a 4 pt, we counted 50...there's still areas holding good numbers..
Well fair enough ,we all have an opinion . Still don’t understand the logic with the bow season.

HarryToolips
07-02-2018, 10:38 AM
That might help. Just deactivated a lot more roads will also help. Another thing,,,,I'm all for seeing the youth get into hunting but giving them the whole month of September seems a little extravagant when all the other regions only give from Sept 1 -9 for the youth to harvest a mule deer.
Imo make the youth season any buck sept 1-15, since with school starting etc, it's hard for some youth to get out with their families in that short 9 day window, and make that in all of the regions to the south, not just 8...but I agree all of sept for any buck for youth is a bit overboard...

dana
07-04-2018, 09:30 PM
I like the changes I see. We need to make sacrifices if we are to see a recovery. 1 mule deer buck limit has been needed for a while. We still have incredibly liberal seasons compared to most jurisdictions in North America. I would expect to see some tightening of those seasons in the next regulation rotation if we don't see evidence of a start toward recovery in this rotation.

IronNoggin
07-05-2018, 11:18 AM
... Still don’t understand the logic with the bow season.

You are far from alone in that.
The harvest for the late season hunt was minimal, yet still afforded the few who went some interesting (and fun) possibilities.
I will miss that.

Nog

HarryToolips
07-05-2018, 01:02 PM
I like the changes I see. We need to make sacrifices if we are to see a recovery. 1 mule deer buck limit has been needed for a while. We still have incredibly liberal seasons compared to most jurisdictions in North America. I would expect to see some tightening of those seasons in the next regulation rotation if we don't see evidence of a start toward recovery in this rotation.
Completely agree....sure would be nice if the province did something about the pred prob in many areas of BC though...I'm guessing that ain't gonna happen at least until the NDP/Greens are out though...

stan
07-05-2018, 04:23 PM
You are far from alone in that.
The harvest for the late season hunt was minimal, yet still afforded the few who went some interesting (and fun) possibilities.
I will miss that.

Nog
Ya was good fun sometimes 10 - 15 years ago we would turn down 10 stinky ass 4 points in a half week just hopin for a shit kicker. Never really amounted to many dead deer just a good time . Only was good the years when snow was heavy anyway.

sparkymacker
07-09-2018, 03:19 PM
I don't really think having the season for youth all of September makes a big difference because once the shooting starts the deer are spooked. When my sons were that age I was always amazed at the bucks we saw the first couple of days of youth season. By the time the GOS started things were back to normal, far and few between

Imo make the youth season any buck sept 1-15, since with school starting etc, it's hard for some youth to get out with their families in that short 9 day window, and make that in all of the regions to the south, not just 8...but I agree all of sept for any buck for youth is a bit overboard...

sparkymacker
07-09-2018, 03:22 PM

I think the devastation of the habitat during that period contributed to declining numbers as well. The logging they have done up off the Coq and on the Westside is mind boggling.

HarryToolips
07-09-2018, 09:00 PM
^^^true.....can you imagine if they deactivated a bunch of those spur FSR's? Man the feed combined with the security would be so awesome for the ungulates, overall......

alstoy
07-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know if the vehicle restrictions for the fire area in 5-13a & 5-13c still exist? I heard somewhere on here that they had been lifted but I can not find confirmation of that.

scttcanuck
03-05-2019, 08:45 AM
You can now buy your 2019/20 Hunting Licenses & Tags for the coming season.
Avoid the rush!

jan.wi97
03-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Hey Guys,
Maybe I’m just a special kind of stupid
but I am unable to enter the LEH online...
issue with me or elsewhere?

wideopenthrottle
03-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Hey Guys,
Maybe I’m just a special kind of stupid
but I am unable to enter the LEH online...
issue with me or elsewhere?
is it open to apply yet?...without checking, seems early!

jan.wi97
03-05-2019, 09:47 AM
is it open to apply yet?...without checking, seems early!
Guy at the local gun shop said he applied
for the Goat in 8-9 already... I tried and it
didnt allow me in at all so I’m thinking that was
probably a load of bull

scttcanuck
03-05-2019, 09:53 AM
You can buy your tags & license. The LEH is not open yet.