PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan bear season

Huevos
06-24-2018, 03:15 PM
So, a buddy and I decided that we were going to buy an outfit in Saskatchewan. We mainly purchased it for the deer, but it came with a bunch of bear tags too. We set out on an adventure of learning how to bait bears. I can tell you right now that spot and stalk bear hunting is easier in every way than bear baiting. I have a new respect for the amount of time and work that goes into baiting. We started Late April with putting out baits and cutting trails into the sites. We ran 15 baits and took 4 hunters at a time for 3 weeks. We saw lots of bears, and our hunters all had opportunity. The bear encounters there are a lot closer, generally speaking, than they are over here. I even punched a bear in the face so it would stop pushing on my blind. Hunting a bait is a whole different experience.... not better or worse than spot and stalk, just different. Imagine being up a tree and have a bear join you... a little unnerving.
After the season was over, and everything was cleaned up, I came home and took my girls out for a hunt. I saw more bears in the last week than I did on 15 baits over in Saskatchewan... (it was our first year baiting), We saw 11 bears on Friday, and my 12 year old daughter was lucky enough to take home her first black bear. Just thought I would remind you all how awesome hunting in BC is and how lucky we are to live here. I hope you all had a good season.