PDA

View Full Version : Initiation hunter question

campking
06-23-2018, 03:47 PM
I am a bit confused regarding a Initiation hunting license, my daughter got an LEH doe draw in Pemberton and her boyfriend is interested in taking up the sport, so thought it would be a perfect situation to introduce him to what we love to do by bring him along under an Initiation licence!

I know he is able to hunt under myself or my daughter's hunting license and if he harvests a deer one of us would cut our tag, where I am confused can he harvest a deer under her LEH authorization.

Hope I described this properly, anyways thank you if you can help on this.

Wild one
06-23-2018, 04:04 PM
I don’t think he can harvest her LEH doe but this question would be better off for ministry or CO

Better to ask them then be say well the guys on the hunting forum said it’s OK. You really don’t want his first experience to involve a angry CO

Jelvis
06-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Someone on HBC will know thee answer -- just have patience --
-- HBC knows by others who did the same thing and can learn from it from hunters also.
Jel -- glad to see the boy getting into deer hunting, the best -- deer hunting is thee ultimate

Wild one
06-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Someone on HBC will know thee answer -- just have patience --
-- HBC knows by others who did the same thing and can learn from it from hunters also.
Jel -- glad to see the boy getting into deer hunting, the best -- deer hunting is thee ultimate

Yes but many wrong answers have been given here as well

todbartell
06-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Junior Hunters (Age10-17 that don't hold a resident license w/ species tags) & Initiation Hunters hunt under a BC Resident hunter's bag limit. He can harvest any animal his host has a species license for, as long as there's a GOS (General Open Season) for the animal. He cannot shoot under her LEH Authorization legally

campking
06-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Thanks!
So even if the LEH authorization is during a GOS he can not shoot under the LEH?

Junior Hunters (Age10-17 that don't hold a resident license w/ species tags) & Initiation Hunters hunt under a BC Resident hunter's bag limit. He can harvest any animal his host has a species license for, as long as there's a GOS (General Open Season) for the animal. He cannot shoot under her LEH Authorization legally

ROY-alty33
06-23-2018, 07:16 PM
Bag LimitsThe holder of the initiation licence doesn't have an individual bag limit and isn't eligible to obtain a species licence.
The supervising hunter must hold the appropriate uncancelled species licence for any species that is hunted. Any game harvested by the holder of an initiation licence must be accounted for as part of the bag limit of the supervising hunter.
The holder of an initiation hunting licence isn't eligible to participate in limited entry hunting.

Cut and Paste right off Gov website

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
06-23-2018, 08:00 PM
What I recall from the time of the onset of the Initiation Hunting License is that IHL hunters may harvest under any license/bag limit that their mentor hold yet may not enter the LEH on their lonesome (which would increase two fold the potential opportunity for the pair). So LEH entries? nope. Cut an LEH tag? Yep!

This really is a question for the Ministry though... If in your position I would write in to Victoria via email and ask away, then post up with the response right here on HBC! :)

Best of fortune afield upcoming to Hunters old and new. :D

Jelvis
06-23-2018, 08:27 PM
I told yah HBC members wood find it for you, smart people for sure, find and move it and what not, any question at all folks.
-- Must be edumicated eh
Jel -- thanks for the great response --

campking
06-23-2018, 09:04 PM
Thank you very much!!

Bag Limits

The holder of the initiation licence doesn't have an individual bag limit and isn't eligible to obtain a species licence.
The supervising hunter must hold the appropriate uncancelled species licence for any species that is hunted. Any game harvested by the holder of an initiation licence must be accounted for as part of the bag limit of the supervising hunter.
The holder of an initiation hunting licence isn't eligible to participate in limited entry hunting.

campking
06-23-2018, 09:06 PM
Thanks great advice, I am going to do that and when I do get a response I will definitely post it here.

What I recall from the time of the onset of the Initiation Hunting License is that IHL hunters may harvest under any license/bag limit that their mentor hold yet may not enter the LEH on their lonesome (which would increase two fold the potential opportunity for the pair). So LEH entries? nope. Cut an LEH tag? Yep!

This really is a question for the Ministry though... If in your position I would write in to Victoria via email and ask away, then post up with the response right here on HBC! :)

06-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Cheers Campking, looking forward to reading their response.
Confident in my message though ~no application/entries under LEH but may Harvest anything their mentor can cover license wise.

Rhyno
06-23-2018, 09:10 PM

Bag Limits

The holder of the initiation licence doesn't have an individual bag limit and isn't eligible to obtain a species licence.

I don't think there is any doubt, it's pretty clear from the post above

ROY-alty33
06-23-2018, 09:19 PM
No problem campking...
Youth are able to partake in an LEH hunt, Initiation hunters are not.

06-23-2018, 09:35 PM
The Initiation Hunter has no bag limit at all. Their bag limit is that of their mentor BCRH, shared bag limit. Youths* may apply for LEH authorizations of their own, IHL hunters may not.

Reminder ~Synopsis/gov't websites are not Law. The law is on record/accessible to all if you wish to look. I'm sure Ministry Staff and/or CO will issue their reply as per their enforcement policy prior to the start of season... If we even get a season until after current regime is booted out of office/Victoria.

ROY-alty33
06-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Youth may not apply for LEH. Need FWID to apply.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/bc-resident-hunting/bc-resident-licence

All the info you need is on this page...but please seek clarification from the ministry as peoples interpretations vary!!!

06-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Youth may not apply for LEH. Need FWID to apply.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/bc-resident-hunting/bc-resident-licence

All the info you need is on this page...but please seek clarification from the ministry as peoples interpretations vary!!!

Sure. I was not clear and was referring to how it is possible for a "youth" to be a full blown BCRH license holder. It does read like I was saying the Youth Hunting License by itself enables LEH applications. I have the adult/normal deal license wise as a BC Resident Hunter. I have thus far barely ever applied for any LEH and have not won/recieved an LEH authorization for anything. I also have not applied for any of these mentor things nor Permit to Accompany. I am familiar with Law on the matter and stand by my statements that I meant, that is to say IHL and their mentoring BCRH share one bag/set of licenses/authorizations. Mea culpa on the youth thing, I obviously was not clear in that post. I'll edit it, to avoid confusion.