PDA

View Full Version : Leh bison december 2018

B-Roth
06-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone!:lol:

I was super super super! LUCKY!
to draw a LEH for Bison in region 7:57 zone B.
For December 6th-20th, up by Pink Mountain. :cool:

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience hunting up in this area,
and at this time of year? And if so!

Where did they stay? or did they camp?
I used to work up there, and I do remember it being pretty damn cold at this time! hahaha

Also what is a recommend fire arm for this hunt, the biggest rifle I currently own is a 30-06.
And I'm sure I am going to have to get something bigger, for this size of animal.

And info, and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,
Hope you have a super wicked day!!

Thanks,
Brandon Roth

todbartell
06-22-2018, 01:13 PM
30-06 with a premium 180gr bullet is plenty. Good luck on your hunt

barry1974w
06-22-2018, 01:13 PM
There’s lots of good info in posts from previous years, I’m far from an expert on the search feature, but try it and you should find lots of info.
Hope for enough snow to use snowmobiles, the hunting can be tough, but it’s spectacular country and you’ll have lots of fun.

barry1974w
06-22-2018, 01:14 PM
30-06 with a premium 180gr bullet is plenty. Good luck on your hunt

Like he said, your 06 with a good bullet will work fine. But if you’re looking for an excuse to buy another rifle.......

Sportster
06-22-2018, 04:31 PM
180gr Hornady superformance sst. Big buff down. Have a great time, and good luck.

JoeSixPack
06-23-2018, 08:01 AM
SST is not great choice for bison at closer distances. You will want a premium bonded bullet, such as a nosler accubond, or a federal premium trophy bonded tip, or a mono-metal bullet such as a barnes TTSX or hornady GMX. Shot placement is key, bison are large but their vitals are not.

Sportster
06-23-2018, 11:08 AM
SST is not great choice for bison at closer distances. You will want a premium bonded bullet, such as a nosler accubond, or a federal premium trophy bonded tip, or a mono-metal bullet such as a barnes TTSX or hornady GMX. Shot placement is key, bison are large but their vitals are not.

Just curious why and sst wouldn't be a good choice? I've been using 165s for years, shot alot of animals with them including a couple nice moose at close range and they and they didn't go far.

JoeSixPack
06-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Just curious why and sst wouldn't be a good choice? I've been using 165s for years, shot alot of animals with them including a couple nice moose at close range and they and they didn't go far.

SST have a thinner jacket, and non bonded core, meaning more shrapnel, and less weight retention than some other premium bullets. They will kill no doubt, but bison have thick hides, big bones, and lots of long hair in the winter time. Just saying there are better options out there.

Cody-ak
06-23-2018, 09:24 PM
I used to work up there too- couple years ago. Yea it’s cold. If you don’t have access to a wall tent with a stove I remember one inn up there- buffalo inn.

nedarb2
06-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Stay at pink mtn log cabins, call Vern. Take lots of fuel and dress in warm layers. I saw -40 in there 2 years ago last week of dec. have fun, it’s a great experience. Take reliable sleds!

tuffcityhunter
06-24-2018, 02:50 PM
i havnt hunted B but i have hunted A twice now for bison. These animals have been hunted hard and they know the sound of a snowmobile find sign and then walk everyday to it don't ride. last year when we where their we got the first one walking about 5 k from camp then people came in and started riding sleds around and everyhting went back into the bush, took a couple days before they started walking as well out from camp. once we where all on the same page the animals came back out and everyones tags where filled with in three days.
It is a awesome hunt but we have been therir in december riding quads due to lack of snow so have both sleds and quads ready depending on weather conditions. just call up their and see how much snow their is before you go.
have fun!!!!!

Thunderstix
06-25-2018, 06:34 PM
The Zone you are in is not at Pink Mountain so that is way too far to stay. if you need to stay somewhere it is either Sikanni River Ranch, or Nevis Creek

Sportster
06-25-2018, 07:27 PM
SST have a thinner jacket, and non bonded core, meaning more shrapnel, and less weight retention than some other premium bullets. They will kill no doubt, but bison have thick hides, big bones, and lots of long hair in the winter time. Just saying their are better options out there.

Thanks for that information, that's good to know.

B-Roth
11-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Hey everyone!

We have a couple weeks left before we head out!
Staying at Sikanni River Outfitters, we will be there the 9th to 16th.

Does anyone have any info on the area, or any tips and tricks for this hunt :P
Also any gear that you may have forgot, or should have brought.

thanks everyone

albravo2
11-23-2018, 04:44 PM
I've never been lucky on that LEH but I have read a few threads that went into pretty good detail on the hunt. Try a forum search and I bet you hit paydirt.

Good luck! Did you buy another rifle or are you going to take the risk that a 30-06 will bounce off?

monasheemountainman
11-23-2018, 04:58 PM
go past the air strip, follow the trail, theres a trail to a lake I cant remember what its called. the guys are really nice and helpful there look for fresh sign and walk in they will here you coming so walk

browningboy
11-23-2018, 08:08 PM
The crappy thing is you can be walking then hear sleds all over spooking them, so just need some luck!