PDA

View Full Version : backup shotgun

dino
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Going bow hunting for elk in possible bear country.Should I carry a backup rifle or shotgun for safety .

locdog_99
08-29-2007, 09:38 PM
its your choise id bring a friend

Murder
08-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Why not? I always take a gun everywhere I go off pavement. It never hurts to have that peace of mind. That's how I am anyways.

browningboy
08-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Going bow hunting for elk in possible bear country.Should I carry a backup rifle or shotgun for safety .

Anywhere you go you'll be in bear country!

woodworm2
08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
What would the Conservation Officer say about carrying a firearm while hunting during a bow only season? Even though you are bow hunting. Anyone with actual experience regarding the legality of it?

peterrum3
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
What is that saying, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. That is an easy one for the CO's. The bow is for hunting, the firearm for protection. Simple answer is yes, take something.

dino
08-30-2007, 08:15 AM
my gut instinct was to bring one, and you guys just confirmed that.Thank you.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I work and live in the bush. My defenders nickname is the "American Express". Never leave home without it!

MCA

quadrakid
08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
i had the conuma elk tag a few years back, whole valley is archery only.i asked co and brought along the iron for protection,that valley is FULL of black bear in the fall.

Will
08-30-2007, 06:49 PM
my gut instinct was to bring one, and you guys just confirmed that.Thank you.
Doesn't packing a Firearm kinda Remove some of the "Thrill" from choosing to Bow Hunt in the 1st Place ?
Just Curious :???:

overthetop
08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Why not? I always take a gun everywhere I go off pavement. It never hurts to have that peace of mind. That's how I am anyways.

2nd that. I carry a 45/70 fishing, hiking, camping, whatever.

ratherbefishin
08-31-2007, 07:07 AM
If you were carrying both a bow and a shotgun,one for hunting and the other for protection, a CO would be hard pressed to claim the shotgun was for hunting and the bow for protection.

jettabambino
08-31-2007, 08:06 AM
I would take theshot gun.... after all... The CO would have to prove that you shot the animal with the gun.... The wound left with a shotgun is alot different than that with an arrow....

Also if you see the CO and he gives you flack... as him why he has possesion of a fire arm aswell...(mnd you not sure if being cheecky i going to help...

ratherbefishin
08-31-2007, 08:44 AM
reminds me of the story of the lady who took her husbands rowboat out ,that he had left his fishing gear in and was just drifting and reading a book when a CO came along and charged her for not having a fishing licence.When she protested she wasn't fishing-he said she didn't need to,she was in possession of fishing tackle and didn't actually have to be using it.She then demanded his name - said she was charging him with rape.....on the grounds that he had the equipment in his possession....

woodworm2
08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Peterrum I was just asking a question. Not making a statement. I definately agree carrying a gun for protection from bears etc. makes sense when in the woods. I finally called the local CO (reg. 3) today and was told yes no problem to carry a shotgun while bow hunting. Sounds like quadrakid had the same anser. Have fun Dino!

curt
09-13-2007, 08:37 PM
i am doing the same and what i would look at is my new best friend i bought a Marlin 450 it is the coolest little gun did a fair bit of research it's getting very popular down south and here too for some it is basically a high performance 45-70 it is short, lite and hits like a train i love it check it out Marlin 1895 guide gun:biggrin: