PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting leh 7-23

Glenp
06-21-2018, 09:34 PM
I got moose leh in region 7-23 but dont know anything about the area was wondering if anyone can tell me if they've seen bulls in there at all or what the area is like

sako79
06-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Just curious why you put in for that area if you don't know anything about it

todbartell
06-21-2018, 11:09 PM
7-23 has 5 different sub units

moosinaround
06-21-2018, 11:21 PM
Book a cooler spot, cause your gonna need it. Slam dunk, won't even need your hunting boots!! Easiest hunt in LEH lottery! Lucky bugger!

Sharpish
06-21-2018, 11:25 PM
Taking a piss Moosin???

Jagermeister
06-21-2018, 11:41 PM
I got moose leh in region 7-23 but dont know anything about the area was wondering if anyone can tell me if they've seen bulls in there at all or what the area is like
Take a pair of kid's scissors with you. Wouldn't want you to cut yourself with anything sharper when you cut your tag.
And, before all you do-gooders climb all over me, check the join date and post count. Nothing unabashed there now, is there?.

Treed
06-22-2018, 12:06 AM
Nope. Nail on the head. My advice would be buy some good boots and start putting some miles in them. Hunting is about the finding. The meat and bone comes later.

25.06girl
06-22-2018, 09:25 AM
I too drew a bull tag in 7-23 zone A this coming fall. I am doing the same thing I always do when I plan to hunt a new area... A lot of looking at maps and google earth and reading all the information I can find on the area. I do a fair bit of research before applying for any tag to see if it’s a feasible adventure for me.

walks with deer
06-22-2018, 11:13 AM
best hunting advice i can give amybody...
open your wallet free up your schedule and drive there.. then hike around every and any water source slash and timber you can...then repeat...hey bears are still open get up there now learn the area a shoot a bear...i have never hunted 723 but getting a spring bear anywhere east of pg i think should have a great chance.

06-22-2018, 11:20 AM
i totally understand putting in for an area you don't know.... I do it all the time... coming from the island you cant know every where up north..... you look at the LEH and put your finger down on a low odd draw....
look at some maps and go........

But having been on a forum for a long time now it kinda does ruffle feathers when post #1 is "help" ... too many people go spam and expect results.. or say " hey nothing wrong with fishing"
really tho,,, good luck on your draw! I mean that.... but don't expect a bunch of help here..

emerson
06-22-2018, 05:29 PM
It’s thick brush in there, much less moose nowadays than there were. If your draw is early it will probably be hot, and moose will be moving at night. Later in the season they will be in super thick swampy willow thickets. Lots of quad and road hunters, but not many animals on the road. If you are a “do things the hard way” kind of guy and looking for hardcore bushwhacking hunting, especially very early morning and late evening, you might get a moose. Not being miserable, I live in PG and have hunted region 6 and 7 hard the last few years. Not many moose.

todbartell
06-22-2018, 05:51 PM
7-23E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2fZGNMCsI

Bustercluck
06-22-2018, 06:44 PM
I think I hunted 7-23 e in 2014. The road was overgrown going in there. We camped at the very end of the road right beside a bridge. We shot a small bull down in the bog on the low side of the road. The guys next to us shot a monster bull. There was also a group from the lml that did pretty well. They were floating up and down the river on a jet boat. It was a big group and I'm pretty sure they filled all of their tags and shot a grizzly as well. There was also a big grizzly wandering around our tcamps that wasn't shy at all. The night after we shot our bull, we could hear a pack of wolves start out on one side ofour camp and circle around us and down to the gut pile.

If they're not logging in there it will be pretty tough getting around. Definitely not a place I'd expect to road hunt. Get down in the bog near the end of September and try and call one out in the open

junkyard_g
06-23-2018, 08:35 PM
I too drew a bull tag in 7-23 zone A this coming fall. I am doing the same thing I always do when I plan to hunt a new area... A lot of looking at maps and google earth and reading all the information I can find on the area. I do a fair bit of research before applying for any tag to see if it’s a feasible adventure for me.

7-23a been light on moose the last few years but they are there. Only advice besides normal moose hunting tips is they don’t really hang out in the pine flats out there until winter. Hunt the river or the hills. The big sandy cutblocks are appealing to the eye but there’s no real food in there for them. Hopefully the wolf cull helped out there, used to see just as many wolves and grizzly as I did moose in there.

woodland2014
06-24-2018, 09:51 PM
We had draws in 7-23A about 7 years ago. It is a very limited area and lots of pressure. Try to get to the very end of the main road where it is big washed out and camp there. There is a quad trail beyond the washout that takes you back in some great country with nice swamps . It is good for moose in there and being a quad only trail, limits the people going in.

25.06girl
06-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Hey thanks junkyard! I will take any advice that is given. I really appreciate it! I promise if I get a shot at a wolf I will take it. Good luck to you this year!

junkyard_g
06-26-2018, 09:56 PM
You as well.