walks with deer
06-21-2018, 08:46 AM
saw 4 does this morning...
3 of them had new twins....
healthy happy babies.

RackStar
06-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Great to see,
i got some fresh elk calves on my camera.. followed by a bear a couple hrs later.
hope the bears don’t find these cute little guys.

walks with deer
06-21-2018, 11:16 AM
rackstar... 10 more days of bear season try and wack the calf killer.....

most bears i shoot are mature males on fawning grounds.

walks with deer
06-21-2018, 11:18 AM
i do not think there is any need to close bear season in the summer. i also think they should increase the bag limit....

RackStar
06-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Thankfully bear opens again on aug 15 up here but I totally agree.. keep them open from when they awake until they den.

Next year i am strictly hunting bears where I hunt ungulates. Let’s get these populations up.

Heading back next weekend to set up more cameras in the area... if I see a bear it’s getting a lickin. One tag left.
Also a heavy population of white tails in the area with new fawns. Moose calves. I almost got a wolf last weekend in the area but they are to damn quick!!

more people should hunt bears in fawning grounds instead of shooting the first bear they see on the side of the road. But that would actually require people to hunt.

Elkaholic
06-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Thankfully bear opens again on aug 15 up here but I totally agree.. keep them open from when they awake until they den.

Next year i am strictly hunting bears where I hunt ungulates. Let’s get these populations up.

Heading back next weekend to set up more cameras in the area... if I see a bear it’s getting a lickin. One tag left.
Also a heavy population of white tails in the area with new fawns. Moose calves. I almost got a wolf last weekend in the area but they are to damn quick!!

more people should hunt bears in fawning grounds instead of shooting the first bear they see on the side of the road. But that would actually require people to hunt.

Every dead bear helps, they ALL eat fawns/calves. I don't care where anybody shoots them, thats just one less to eat meat. Pretty good in my books. What is next? people are free to hunt as they please, you may enjoy one way they may enjoy another. Don't rag on hunters man, if they are bear hunting good for them. I am not going to judge where they hunt bear. I am glad we have awesome folks like you to show all of us "how to hunt".

Seth
06-21-2018, 03:02 PM
i do not think there is any need to close bear season in the summer. i also think they should increase the bag limit....

...to 5 black ones and 1 brown (ylzzirG) per season��

ROY-alty33
06-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Seen a doe with triplets down here last week.
Now assuming the googler is correct about deer gestation, and assuming they were a week old (they more likely a day or 2) she would have been bred Nov 20. Quite a bit later than conventional belief tells us the rut is around region 2.

RackStar
06-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Every dead bear helps, they ALL eat fawns/calves. I don't care where anybody shoots them, thats just one less to eat meat. Pretty good in my books. What is next? people are free to hunt as they please, you may enjoy one way they may enjoy another. Don't rag on hunters man, if they are bear hunting good for them. I am not going to judge where they hunt bear. I am glad we have awesome folks like you to show all of us "how to hunt".

Take it with a grain of salt. Easy to get out of context using computers. How that came out I realize wasn’t how I meant it. Every bear harvested is a good one.

Cheers

HarryToolips
06-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Good to hear of all the positive, healthy fawn and calve populations...and yes, every bear harvested helps the ungulate populations overall...I personally am guilty of letting too many bear walk, but I have a hard time shooting a smaller bear..

Rhyno
06-21-2018, 09:31 PM

Excellent post, I was thinking making the same.

walks with deer
06-22-2018, 11:04 AM
instead of a southern provincial mule deer bag limit of one...you should earn your deer tags by submitting dead predators...bears are a much bigger predator than people realize...espeacially late spring early summer..

Linksman313
06-22-2018, 11:43 AM
No sign on cams or sight of fawns while timber cruising with the daughter this spring in the Boundary yet, mind you grass is getting tall and yellower by the day (yikes)! Hope they are using the camo to their maximum advantage as the Bears pops are up again from last year same time despite floods and tons of moisture left at higher elevations.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
06-22-2018, 07:27 PM
We saw a few elk calves this afternoon on the way to Sparwood. Saw them again on the return trip.