PDA

View Full Version : Hunter becoming the hunted??

browningboy
08-29-2007, 09:18 PM
As the season approaches, our threads may be getting dull??:-? so thought I'd try this, ever have a time when hunting out there and had something trail you and scare the heck out of you? One time 4 or 5 years ago we were tracking a moose through some black spruce and we got a glimpse of him, BULL! then the son of a bi**h takes off as I step on a twig, he didn't take off far, so we regroup, tell my buddy to take the right and I'll take the left (coming into a clearing with some bushes in the middle) and we'll hook up in a mile or two, as we approach the end of the clearing theres an old seismic line and damn, fresh tracks everywhere! so thought I'd take a quick peek for a few minutes (raining) so the road drops a bit then theres a lake of some sort, probably from a beaver and some bushes around it so I'll just go down and take a quick peek, hear something but off in the distance, or maybey just hearing something?? so time to turn around and got 15 yards up the hill and holy crap, grizz tracks basically on top of mine, and what a feeling, jeeeesh, all the hair on you neck standing and your senses trying to sharpin but not get to the point of thinking your hearing something, safety comes off and have a 250grain ready, see his tracks only went to the ridge but looked like he went into the bush, but defineately close, so quietly but quickly climb back up a bit and double track to the point of where I came out and was quite anxious to find my buddy. Never seen it but was a tense moment.
Seeing if anyone else had weird encounters??

mapguy
08-30-2007, 06:51 AM
had a cougar jump at me once he was 10 ft in the air and i emptied my clip on him had to finish him off under a tree he was sure squalling . I was bouncing about 2 ft off the ground while i started to reload .you don't have time to be scared

BCBear
08-30-2007, 07:46 AM
I wasn't being hunted, but I did taste salt. When I was about 15 I was hunting with my .22 and spotted movement low to the ground just off a cut line in central Alberta, I stepped inside the bush and spotted a grouse blending in with his surroundings. I was about to get my first big game scare. It was when I fired the shot that killed the grouse that an enormous cow moose shook the ground around me and stormed off right beside me. I saw the little bird but was oblivious to the moose standing within yards of him. Scared me pretty good right at the moment I was happy to have spotted the little grouse.

newhunterette
08-30-2007, 08:36 AM
I'll keep my font colour black for those of u who said my green was too hard to see with their aging eyes.

This is my story:
I was a Brownie Leader in charge of 20 little girls and 6 volunteer ladies. We were at a camp in Sechelt and I wanted to take the girls on an exploration hike of the surrounding woods. I signed us up with the naturist who said it would be an easy treck for the girls. So armed with my airhorn(in case of emergency) and our snack packs we head in for our 4km (small) hike. Some of the girls had issues with hiking and some of ladies were not very stable walking so we decided to split the group in 2 - faster and more experienced with the naturist and the other half with me. We did our hike and everyone had a wonderful time - we pointed out all sorts of items we saw along the way as well as seeing small critters. When we head back to camp, I stopped in at the naturist building to sign us back in and discover my other group has not arrived back in - they were farther ahead of us so they should have checked in long before us - I sent the ladies and the girls with me back to camp and hightailed it back into the trail. I send up the emergency blow of the airhorn hoping to get an respnse back and heard nothing - I keep going farther in and after about 15 minutes of trying to locate them I disover something warm under my feet - I had stepped in a very warm pile of bear scat - just lovely as I looked up in the trail not 100 yards from me is a beautiful black bear eating salmon berries when all of a sudden his head bolts up and he grunts - I hear a snarl, and a low deep growl - I blow the airhorn at the bear because I remember being told loud noises can deter the critters - well mr bear took off and I turn to run the other direction - I ran a few minutes then discovered the bear was not coming back my direction - I blow the horn again hoping to hear from my group and still nothing - I happened to look down on the ground and discovered fresh animal tracks in the mud - they were not bear tracks or deer tracks (thank goodness for my husband teaching me about animal tracks) they were cougar tracks and they went as far as where the bear had been when I found it on the path - I took off out of the trail back to the camp to discover my entire 20 girls and 6 ladies were back at camp and group 1 had been back before us - the naturist forgot to sign them in - when I told them about what I saw in the woods our naturist had informed me "Oh yes, we have been trying to catch that COUGAR for a week now" -
so I not only met the bear I had a feeling the cougar was very close by and there was me armed with a trail map and an airhorn :)

Unfortunately with a Brownie Camp carrying my rifle with me was not an option :)

Hope you enjoyed

Ali

Gun Dog
08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
I was following some couger tracks in the snow when a doe jumped out of the bushes in front of me. Made me jump.

Caveman
08-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I was out deer hunting one morning, turned around to look back up where I had just come and out of the corner of my eye caught some movement in the long grass about 15 feet away. He was crouched down, muscules rippling ready to pounce. My first thought was COOOL!!! a cougar, but then my senses kicked in and I decided I may only have one shot and felt a camera wasn't the one I should use. This was the result!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/scan0017.jpg

alremkin
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Good work the cat didn't have caveman for breakfast.8-)

ALPINE
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I was hunting a two year old problem bear last year on a friends land. This bear had little fear of humans and my friend wanted it gone because she had young kids. I bought a tag and decided to take care of the problem for them. The bear was hanging around the far end of one of thier fields so figured I would go out to the field, wait to see if someone would show before sundown. Well to get to this field you have to walk through a trail from the house to get there. I walked for a couple of minutes down this trail when guess who I ran into. The little bugger took off into the brush pretty darm fast and I couldn't get a good shot off. I figured the bear would double back in the brush to the field so that is where I was going to go and wait. I started down this trail when all the hairs on the back of my neck started to stand! (I actually pulled my head out of my ass.) I realized this little guy had turned the tables and was stalking me! I thought to myself S#!T moved myself to the biggest tree closest to me and placed my back to it. I got a good reality check when I noticed this black shadow moving around me. The only good shooting lane was to my right from where I had placed myself so I thought I would wait and hopefully this little blackie would cross it. (It really scared me to see how fast and quiet a bear can move through the bush, he was like a moving shadow) Well I was lucky cause the little guy crossed my line of fire just long enough to squeeze off a round. He dropped dead about 20 yards away. I learned a valueable lesson that day. I was thinking stupid because I was on his turf and how fast things can go wrong if you are not paying attention.

Gateholio
08-30-2007, 01:40 PM
It was one of those nice warm fall days, sun was shining....

I hiked up behind a clearcut, into the timber and sat down to eat my lunch, not far from several game trails..

I ate my lunch, and got a bit drowsy. Deer wouldn't be along for an hour or so, so I shifted down and laid back, to have a bit of a snooze. You know the kind...:cool:

As I was driftingoff I got this strange feeling I was being watched. I opened my eyes up, and in a tree rigth near me ...a cougar sitting, looking RIGHT at me!!

I grabbed for my rifle, he jumped from one tree to another, and then BAM he was on the ground and gone...

Freakiest thing was that he had sat and watched me eat my lunch!:eek:

Another time, I don't think I was being hunted, but it was far creepier than the cougar story...

4 point
08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Years ago my older brother and I flew into Cold Fish Lake before it was in the park. We built a cache high up in a tree as it's grizzly country. The next morning we awoke to a heavy dump of wet snow. We had taken a canoe in tied to the single otter's floats. We headed out to go check out Gladys Lake area. We cross the lake stach the canoe and start walking up hill in the direction we had to go. It became fairly open and we chugged along. Seeing no tracks of anything big. Then we hit a area of bush with a game/horse trail going through it so in we go. My brother looking & walking forward and me checking our backside. After about 10 minutes in we hear this noise. What the heck was that we both say. We carry on and hear it more and more, it's like heavy snarly breathing. Our guns are made ready. We think griz attack soon but from what direction and how many. We start back tracking down the trail and low and behold we come across a lone grizzly track right in footprints. He had circled around behind and walked up our backside for quite a while before going into the bush and trailing along right beside us. How close was he ..I think closer than we would have liked to have known at the time.

MichelD
08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I was up Mud Lakes Road one time, walked up an old road through a cut, then through a stand of trees, then up into a huge cut above that.

On the way back down, when I came back to the trees, I noticed a game trail parallel to the road, but just above it, so I followed that downhill.

I was going very quiet and slow as it had lots of sign on it, then suddenly, a flash of brown movement caught my eye and there on the road, not 30 yards below me was a cougar, walking uphill in my tracks.

I made a bunch of noise getting my pack off for the camera and he slipped into the trees below.

Was he following me or was it a coincidence?

Only the cat knows.

Spitzer
08-30-2007, 05:14 PM
had a cougar jump at me once he was 10 ft in the air and i emptied my clip on him had to finish him off under a tree he was sure squalling . I was bouncing about 2 ft off the ground while i started to reload .you don't have time to be scared

Is that a picture of it in your avatar?

newhunterette
08-30-2007, 06:40 PM
This story isn't about me but it is a story that has been told to my children.

My husband went to school with this young man (a friend) who spent countless hours hunting with his father. They were a team. This friend and his father were hunting and his friend had downed a critter. While packing the critter out, a grizzly bear sniffed him out and began charging, my hubby's friend fired off his gun at the big bear and had no idea if he took the bear down because the bear took a swipe at him and killed him very brutally by severing his head. His friends father hearing the shot searched for him and found his body and head and only a few yards away the body of the bear.

Imagine what had to be going through this father's head finding such a scene. Anyway the bear was mounted as it was a big guy and hubby's friend was laid to rest but he died doing what he loved to do and he knew the dangers of the hunt.

Every year for the past 14 years my husband and another friend have hosted a fishing derby in memorial of this lost friend and it is held at our little cabin with their buds who they went to school with.

This derby has escalated into a memorial for their friend as well as memorial for a lost baby boy of another friend who joins them each year for the derby. It is held each Father's Day weekend in June.

Ali

Paulyman
08-30-2007, 07:21 PM
About six years ago i was on a hunting trip near prince george,one evening i decided to sit on the edge of a small lake hoping to see a moose come out of the bushes on the other side. I waited patiently for a while, then it happened, the bushes to my right came alive, I could hear large branches breaking and logs moving,I thought to myself, now i am going to get my chance at a moose,guess what i was wrong, it was a grizzly.the next 10 seconds were pretty stressful as i realized the very edge of the lake that i was on was his route for travelling around the lake as there was a nice path. within those 10 seconds he had cover half of the distance that was originally between us and showed no sign of changing his path of choice. what happened next i don't like to admit but it's the truth, my truck was only about 100' away and the grizz was probably about 200' away and he hadn't noticed me yet, i ran like scared little schoolgirl made it back to the truck peeled away and counted my lucky stars

Will
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Is that a picture of it in your avatar?
:lol:LMAO !

All this talk of Stalking Cougars...............I'm not leaving the house:neutral:
:shock:

Paulyman
08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Meow!! no one's afraid of a kitty cat, are they?

Brambles
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Years ago I was hunting with my gramps and we stopped the truck on a switch back to glass some hillside, I took out the ol buck grunt tube and started blowing while we glassed. A couple minutes later I hear a noise up on the mountain side behind us, a little intrigued I watch and began to see the trees shaking and I could hear this noise, closer and closer it got until the only thing stopping us from seeing it was some thick bush on the side of the road, it was right there, and it was going mental on those bushes, absolutly trearing them apart, and the noise, it sounded like the thick coat of a grizz thrashing and rustling against itself as it was ripping back and forth. I was down on my knee with my gun pointed at it, and said to gramps, get your gun loaded now and back me up. This thing is Max 15 yards away.

After a few minutes he got bored and moved back up the mountain thrashing as it went, Real freaky still wonder to this day what it really was.

Brambles
08-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Another time a buddy and I were walking to a spot of mine, snow on the ground and in the trees. All of a sudden in the quiet we hear this reall odd "thud". We both stop and look at each other, "what the hell was that" didn't sound like a deer thumping or snow falling from the trees, couldn't quite put my finger on what it sounded like. We stand motionless for a few minutes and listen but hear nothing. We basically chock it up to snow.

About an hour later we walking back down the trail the way we came and we had to walk over a bridge, there in the snow were cougar tracks, not only in the snow but in OUR tracks, we followed our back trail and seen the cougar followed us until a dog scared him away, we seen the dog tracks at the bridge. The cougar followed our tracks from almost the exact same spot we heard the "THUD". I then realized that the "THUD" sounded the way a cougar would sound jumping out of a tree.

I do look behind myself all the time when I hunt alone, heard too many stories of being followed by predators and prey.

newhunterette
08-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Because I don't sleep well when Peter goes away, I sat up thinking (can be dangerous for me) about this thread Hunter becoming the hunted and it reminded me of my first hunting trip.

I had just become a licensed hunter and given a hunter number. I put in for my first LEH draw and got it. A beautiful doe. Now all I had to do was find a rifle because I didn't have one of my own. I met a sweet young man working at HUBs who so kindly offered one of his. (He no longer works there but I do know he is and HBC member - thank you Thomas for lending me your rifle sorry it took me a year to get it back to you).

Back to my story,
Peter and I went up to our cabin as my draw was in that MU - lucky me comfort no wall tent this year. At 5 am he wakes me up and says time to go - I jump out of bed and am ready lickity split early bird gets the worm. We start the morning hiking to the spot we scouted when Peter says to me "this is where you will sit and watch, look at that game trail it is well used, watch the treeline and be very quiet." Oh yes Sir. He is going to hike more into the Alpine slash and scout some more. We have walkabout talkies that we have decided to use to check in every 15 minutes with each other. I sit still and quiet (yes I can once in a while) and next thing I realize 15 minutes has gone by and no word from Pete. I start to panic and start radioing him. He finally answers me and I am "where are you" he says look up about 50 yards, there he is standing there laughing his head off. Apparently more than an hour went by and he was calling me and calling me and when I didnt answer he hightailed it back to me gun loaded ready to shoot anything that was in sight when he heard this awful growling noise. He came upon me and the scene he saw was me hunkered down all cozy hugging Thomas's rifle sleeping and snoring so loud he thought I was being attacked. He stood watching me and waiting until I woke up in a panic thinking he was the one who didnt radio in. He said how was anything going to walk down that game trail with me sawing the trees louder than the loggers. He wanted to shoot me - I was the Newhunterette that was being hunted.

Hope y'all got a chuckle,
Ali

mapguy
08-31-2007, 06:14 AM
spitzer carefull that little fellow if ferocious

browningboy
08-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Another memory was about 10 years ago in the gang ranch area, it was a suuny sept day and warm, haven't seen much as in sign or critters, so we find a block probably 2 years old I'm guessing with some heavy game trails leading to and fro, so thought lets just hang out and see if something comes......sunny day, leaning against stump, tired.....sleeping so I imagine my partner and I ( he was 100yards away or so) were probably snoring pretty good and we were suddenly awoken by a big SNAP! two heads pop up and we see the ass end of a big bull moose going into the treeline, whew! we thought but thats not what made the snap or made him run, kiddy corner was a sow with 1 cub and was guessing 125 yards away from my partner, she sees him and all hell breaks loose, cub goes up a tree, she charges and it sounds like thunder (and we're just waking up!) She ends up doing a false charge but good enough, we hytailed it out of there!

bruin
08-31-2007, 10:02 AM
I was followed by a sow grizz with 3 cubs. I turned around to head back to camp and heard noises in the bush, thinking it might be an elk I blew a couple of cow/calf calls and 4 grizzlies poked their heads up outta the willows at maybe 40 yards, thankfully they went one way and I went the other
Another time I was leading a couple of horses full of elk meat back to main camp and I ran into a young grizz, I chased him off but then he started parellelling me through the bush. He got too close for comfort and I fixed him with a couple of rounds of buckshot. He got a little smarter and I didn't get mauled.
Packed a moose back to camp after dark in the Yukon one year. there was snow on the ground but we were in thick bush and it was pitch black, I couldn't even see my horses ears, just letting him take me back to camp. I heard some noises in the bush beside us but didn't really think much of it at first, maybe a horse hit a down tree or something. Then I heard it a couple of more times so I stopped and I could hear something big circling us. I jumped off and fumbled for my flashlight while the hunter tried to load his gun, all the while we were yelling etc. It eventually moved off but we still didn't know what it was. The next morning I went back and found a boar grizzly's tracks 15 yards from where we had stopped, he had been following us for about a half a km. The horses had heard it too but they never really freaked out like they usually do, I am still not sure why.

Macgregor
09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Several years ago a buddy of mine and I were hunting not far east of P.G. I let my friend out of the truck to walk down a road into a slash when I returned to the spot he was running out to the road saying he had shot at a wolf and there were wolves all over the place. Somewhat skeptical I walked in with him and when we were in the slash wolves started howling all around us. We started walking out with the wolves following all around us. We decided we would wait until the next day to go back in. That night it snowed about a foot and we couldn't find the wolf (assuming he hit it). I was thinking he had maybe killed the leader and all the other wolves were a little pissed at us. This was the only time I have ever felt threatened by wolves.

Phreddy
09-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Hunting up the Whipsaw area in 8-5 in 1964 when I heard the smack of a bullet in a tree about 2 feet from my head, then heard the bang. Never did find out who the idiot was that made the "sound shot", as I was too busy looking for some toilet paper or leaves to clean out my shorts. Good thing for him/her, as I would have bent their gun around a tree if I'd caught them.
Had a big cat follow me up a game trail on another occasion. Never saw it, but the tracks were fresher than mine on the way back. Amazing the adrenealine rush you get. Dead tired to fully alert in .5 seconds.

gutpile
03-15-2015, 10:41 PM
It was one of those nice warm fall days, sun was shining....

I hiked up behind a clearcut, into the timber and sat down to eat my lunch, not far from several game trails..

I ate my lunch, and got a bit drowsy. Deer wouldn't be along for an hour or so, so I shifted down and laid back, to have a bit of a snooze. You know the kind...:cool:

As I was driftingoff I got this strange feeling I was being watched. I opened my eyes up, and in a tree rigth near me ...a cougar sitting, looking RIGHT at me!!

I grabbed for my rifle, he jumped from one tree to another, and then BAM he was on the ground and gone...

Freakiest thing was that he had sat and watched me eat my lunch!:eek:

Another time, I don't think I was being hunted, but it was far creepier than the cougar story...
0K Gatehouse let's hear about your creepier story !

LuckyHorseshoe
03-17-2015, 08:18 PM
hunting black bear in a drained lakebottom one year with archery gear. was bellycrawilng up to a real nice chocolate boar. I was working my way along a log when my partner said "hes heading our way". I said "ok how close?" That's when the bear popped out from behind the log close enough for me to touch him. He hesitated and gave us a weird look ( I assume he smelled us ) and took off the other way. We figured some deer winded us and took off and spooked him. I don't think I touched the ground the rest of the day.

millman911
03-17-2015, 08:36 PM
At the age of 9 and my brother 10 we were camped at a lake near Edson alberta. We took our pedal bikes for a ride on the main rd into the camp ground. After riding for a while we decide we should head back. When we stopped to turn around there were 8/9 wild dogs lined across the road. I remembered being so scared I was crying. My brother said we have to ride straight at them and get back to camp. It worked well, the dogs took off into the bush. Hate to think if we decide to try out runnning them.

Rob
03-17-2015, 08:53 PM
At the age of 9 and my brother 10 we were camped at a lake near Edson alberta. We took our pedal bikes for a ride on the main rd into the camp ground. After riding for a while we decide we should head back. When we stopped to turn around there were 8/9 wild dogs lined across the road. I remembered being so scared I was crying. My brother said we have to ride straight at them and get back to camp. It worked well, the dogs took off into the bush. Hate to think if we decide to try out runnning them.

You sure they weren't bunnies? :)

Big Lew
03-17-2015, 10:04 PM
I've had some very close encounters with bears and cougars that had my adrenilin
racing, but I wouldn't say I was scared. I had a black bear come out of the bush not
more than 10 feet from me as I was standing in a creek, grab a salmon, turn around,
and then go back into the bush. Had a large old boar black bear meet me on a sharp
corner while I was bow hunting. I could have poked him in the face with my 32" bow
he was so close. He froze, then after about 30-40 seconds whipped around and was gone.
Had cougars try to jump my horse twice, but the scariest incident that still bothers me
was because of rats. I had found a nest of rats in amongst some straw in the bottom of
a 45 gal drum so I grabbed a hammer and began clocking them as they ran around the inside
of the barrel. As they ran they spiraled up the barrel and I got all of them except one.
It ran up my arm, brushing against my neck as it ran past my head, over my shoulder and
away. I sat down and shook for quite awhile on that one. (I was only about 14 at the time)

hunter1947
03-18-2015, 04:57 AM
I have had a few grizzly bear come in on me ,cougar attack on Vancouver islands and a pack of wolfs putting a stock on me near fort Nelson BC when hunting for moose..

Phreddy
03-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Betterofffishing has a good one. I'll wait a bit and see if he puts it in himself. If not I'll do it. Contains a very good lesson.

millman911
03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
You sure they weren't bunnies? :)They might have been, they were about a inch shorter then you. why to small for dogs.lol

bpeters
03-18-2015, 09:22 PM
was climbing down from a treestand after a long sit and halfway down looked up to see a big wolf staring at me no more than 60 yards away

tigrr
03-18-2015, 10:09 PM
Which one? The most hair raising is owning 160 acres and walking to and from the deer blind every morning before daylight and going back out till after dark. It was a ground blind made up out of logs and sticks. I waited till dark and walked out of the bush the 200 yards to the house. I thought I heard something following me when I walked out. You know the hair on the back of your neck standing up because you can't see squat but you can hear it. Walk a bit faster and hit the door running. So the next morning I was a bit late getting going and when I walked back to my deer hunting blind about half way there I see something had walked in my tracks last night. No 2 somethings had walked in my tracks. They had swung by the blind and then followed my trail in the snow half way to the house. Turns out two cougars had followed me out of the bush but turned around and went back and checked out the blind where I was sitting and then wandered off. Never seen them or their trail again. Trappers moved in on and adjoining property and set up 100 snares for coyotes.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-19-2015, 06:36 AM
I was hunting stones back in 2005. My partner decided to stay in camp that day as he had a set of horns in camp. I had just come down a steep scree slope and as working my way up a side valley when I glassed back to the top and saw what I first thought was a dark ram. When I looked closer it turned out to be a grizzly bear. He started down the slope and hit my tracks that were easily visible. His nose immediately went to the ground and without hesitation started to follow my tracks.
I scampered up a steep rock knob hoping that if it did come to a shoot out it would buy me more time.
As I got to the top up the knob a huge storm blew in with sideways rain so I just buried my head into my lap and hunkered down.
After the brief storm blew through I waited and waited without seeing the bear. Eventually I figured that he must have headed down the side valley when he by the junction.....which was fine by me.

I continued on that day and eventually took a ram just before dark. I had to leave the ram where it was as I shot him from a sheer cliff and had to go waaaaay around to get to him. As I neared camp I could see a strange brown mound in the meadow just in front of our tent. It turned out that the bear decided to pay my partner a visit. My buddy had just woken up from an afternoon nap and was standing beside the tent waking up when he spotted a dark object across the meadow from camp. When he raised his binos he saw he bear standing on his hind legs staring at him. He quickly grabbed his rifle ( a single shot Ruger #1) from the tent and ran up a small hill right beside the tent. A quick scan and he could not see the bear but then suddenly it came busting out of the chest high buckbrush. A quick yell from my buddy only made the bear lock on to his location and it kicked into a full sprint! A quick warning shot had zero affect so the next one hit him square in the chest and sent the bear into a death spin.
My buddy's nerves were so fried he emptied the celebratory rye that he had packed around for the previous ten days and there wasn't a single drop left for me.

Brez
03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Many years ago I was hunting muleys on an open ridge and came across fresh boot prints in the 20 cm of new snow. In each print was a cougar track. The cat followed the hunter for a kilometer or so. Kinda gets you checking your backtrail a lot more

bcriverhunter
03-19-2015, 09:01 AM
shot a blacky a number of years ago as it was just.getting dark!....ran into thick bush after the shot!..after waiting awhile i went in looking for him
gun loaded and at the ready!...
.....i was in about 30 yards and turned around and there it was about 3 feet BEHIND ME TO MY LEFT-- dead!!....if it was alive it would have had me!!...since then i make sure to REALLY LOOK around when going in! 😎

hardnocks
03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
I was bear hunting a corn field in grindrod. the land owner told us of a big blond bear that went down to the river every afternoon about 3 pm. one evening at last light I put a arrow throw a nice blacky. he ran throw a patch of tall grass towards the bush. not wanting to follow in the dark my partner and I agreed to come back in the morning.
next morning we followed a good blood trail to the first tree. bear had lain down a big pool of blood but he has got up and walked off. more bloodtrail again he`s lain down but got up and walked off. again we come to a pool of blood. only this time theirs is no blood leaving I said to my partner what is going on ? he says look over here ! all that's left of my bear is the head. and some big piles of bear crap it was a long walk back to the truck with just our bows.

huckleberry
03-19-2015, 10:21 AM
I was out in the late spring getting wildlife photos and headed back to my truck as it was getting pretty dusky, got within a hundred yards of the truck and realized there was a large black bear standing in the box of the truck. No firearm, no pepper spray, and my keys were under the back bumper. Decided to boldly march directly to the truck singing in a loud voice as I went. Started to feel a little queasy as I neared it since he still wasn't leaving and it was getting darker by the minute. Finally when I was 10 feet from the truck he jumped out on the other side and stood up to stare at me. I dropped down and managed to find the keys and get the door open. He still hadn't left, but at least now I felt safer. Got in and got the lights on and then saw he had knocked my mirrors off, big scratches in the hood. I drove off and left the music critic standing there.

358win
03-21-2015, 09:09 PM
0K Gatehouse let's hear about your creepier story !

I've been waiting for Gatehouse's story for many years. (even before the pink too-too).
I'm still waiting.
When the Gentleman is ready, he will post.

Goose
03-23-2015, 08:08 PM
these stories are just what I need to get "psyched" for my first grizz hunt......no, not really, im starting to question my sanity.

M.Dean
03-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Years ago we had some friends that lived on a small ranch off the Hyas Lake Rd, they had no power at that time and there water came from the creek. After dinner Helen, the Wife told us a once in a life time story. A few years before they were having big problems with cougars killing there livestock, but they decided to have the kids home for Christmas anyway. As the day worn on, everyone was having drinks, quite a few drinks she said. Then, around 1 in the morning everyone said that's enough, lets go to bed. So Helen made sure everyone had what they needed, and before she went to bed she said I better go use the olde outhouse, about 50 yards from the house, and it was real cold out, like minus 20 degree's cold! She was in her house coat, with big boots on because of the snow, she just got inside and closed the door when she heard one huge bang on the outhouse's metal roof! She said this cougar let out one of the loudest screams she'd ever heard in her life! She didn't know what to do, keep real quiet or start to scream at the guys in the house, who were all passed out! She waited about 10 minutes, and started to get real bloody cold, so she started screaming at the top of her lungs for someone to shoot this God Dam cougar off the roof so she could get back into the house before she froze to death! She told us she screamed and pounded on the outhouse walls for dam near 2 hours, she was crying and calling her old man and the boys in the house passed out some real good swear words to boot! Finally she said she new she was going to freeze to death if she didn't make a run for the house, so she very slowly opened the door and tried to look to see if the cat was going to pounce on her once she let the door close, she couldn't wait any longer, Helen told us she made that distance in about 3 seconds, and the minute she shut the house door she went nuts on everyone that was passed out and didn't come to her rescue!!! Next morning they could see the tracks were the cat had gone up a big pine tree and jumped onto the roof once Helen was inside, luckily! After that everyone who went to the outhouse after dark took a loaded rifle!!!

caddisguy
03-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Never been persued by a big critter. Had one experience while I was crouched down tying some tapered leader together on the river bank. I usually rubberneck more but it had been a minute or two... then when I looked over my shoulder there was a huge black bear standing on his hind legs sniffing the air about 10 feet behind me. We chatted for a few mins and he wandered off. Nice bear, a little curious but super chill. I'll never forget that one.

A few funny stories about being "hunted":

I had a lone coyote run right up to me while I was in the middle of using natures facilities. I think it was the doe urine on my boots. It was so focused and didnt realize i was human or that I was doing my duty until I stomped my foot and yelled.

My gf damn near bear sprayed a grouse that came charging out of the bush at her. Wish I had that on video. We just hear this crashing in the bush getting closer. She's ready for combat... then I see this grouse come out, puffing, hissing and running around in circles.

While sitting on a log all in camo, we had a big bobcat stalk in really close and looked like it was actually going to pounce so I scared it off.

While hunting in some thick timber we noticed some critters dashing around. We weren't sure if they were cats or canines but they were closing in on us. Turned out to be hunting dogs.

Last but not least I called in a huge bull moose. It was called in by the sound of me throwing up.

There we have it. Never seriously "hunted" but never a dull moment. Something hysterical happens every time.

Bugle M In
03-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Lets see...all times, I was cow / elk calling.
1 cougar came in to 6 yards....luckily I saw him first (if he had come from behind me, I never would have heard him).
Stood there having a starring contest for almost 2 minutes...couldn't believe that he was thinking about it???!!!! (ya, the gun was up)

2 Grizz (that I know of), 1 at first light, right at first light (was probably already coming in, in the dark already), to 30 yards.

The other Grizz at Mid Day (lunchtime and 30+C) at about 80 yrds,...just when you think nothing is moving for the day??!!
I think this Grizz was at our camp the night before, and followed us the next day...which was 4 to 5 km as a Crow flies from our camp.
(we definitely had a Bear around camp, while sitting at the fire, and suspect curiosity got the best of him), but wasn't impressed when he showed up where we were sitting to hunt.

Don't know what else has ever snuck up, but my Dad had large Grizz tracks not 50 yards away from where he sat 1 morning Elk calling by the river....
They weren't there when he walked in, but they were there hen he walked out at lunch to go back to camp. and no, they were obvious and not missed in the morning walk in.

Careful when calling...you never know who is listening, and what you will see.
Let's just say, I rarely fall asleep at the tree all day anymore....I want to!....but it doesn't happen anymore!!!