PDA

View Full Version : Controversy sparked over chinook salmon closures

IronNoggin
06-14-2018, 10:01 AM
“If you look at how many chinook are returning to the Fraser River right now, no one should be fishing – no one,”

https://biv.com/article/2018/06/controversy-sparked-over-chinook-salmon-closures

DFO ignores the best advice of science, and marches merrily on with it's race based program of annihilation... http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif

Nog

tubby
06-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Nog...I received firsthand info from a guide on the Fraser who talked to one of the Albion boat captains and apparently the test fisheries have been instructed to lie about their catch rates so DFO would not have to go back on their closures. Apparently the Albion has been been doing good the last 6 weeks....
again...this is not confirmed but would make sense considering First Nation boats a km upstream are averaging 10/20 springs per drift!

limit time
06-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Guess no one cares? Move along now.

hawk-i
06-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Skeena is totally closed to sports angling for salmon this year again. ...seen nets in the water today....fubar the regs!

Big Lew
06-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Anyone know where the springs in the Pender Harbour area are heading to spawn?
I ask because my daughter has a cottage and moorage at one of the marinas so gets
to know many others frequenting the area as well. She says that the regulars are going
out with friends and relatives and are usually coming back with their total limits the last
month or so. In past years they didn't fare quite so well.

boxhitch
06-16-2018, 09:57 AM
CBC
" The B.C. government is putting together an advisory council to deal with its at-risk wild salmon stocks.

The council will develop recommendations this summer for a provincial wild salmon strategy, the province announced Friday.

Fourteen experts make up the council. They come from Indigenous, community and labour groups, NGOs, and recreational and commercial fisheries. "

303savage
07-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Fourteen experts make up the council

An expert is just a drip under pressure :-)