PDA

View Full Version : Who's had animal problems in camp?

Bustercluck
06-12-2018, 07:07 PM
I don't know if I'm out to lunch or what? I was out on a 3 day canoe/fishing/camping trip last week. On the last night we pulled all of our gear up on shore and when I got up I was missing a paddle. It was pretty stormy and windy that night, but I have a hard time believing it blew away. I looked around the lake for it the next day and couldn't find it anywhere. The only thing I can think is maybe the beaver that was swimming around stole it. He went by our camp just a few feet from shore several times.

Is this possible?

walks with deer
06-12-2018, 07:08 PM
of course yes..

caddisguy
06-12-2018, 07:50 PM
I came back to my jeep once and had bear paw prints on the soft plastic jeep windows, right above the soft cooler with leftover pizza. I am glad it didn't decide to rip everything apart.

Had seagulls jack my lunch out of the back of a ford ranger once.

And then of course there's all the spooky stuff like waking up to a bear (that charged me a week prior) with his face up against mine.

I haven't had anything weird go missing due to animals as far as I recall.

I did have my boat pulled up on the shore once in Harrison around cascade peninsula. I woke up the next morning and noticed an object at the point that I didn't remember being there before. Well, of course it was my boat with all my gear on it. I woke my friend up and we ran up to the point. It was still about 100 yards out. Thankfully my friend is a good swimmer because i'm not. Anyway, I figured it was probably rising water and waves, but the though also crossed my mind it could have been a bear... doubt it though

butcher
06-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Had my share of animal problems but beaver is definitely the worst .... or the best depending on your point of view.

303savage
06-12-2018, 08:13 PM
The wife and were camped in a pup tent up the northern end of V.I. and g0t up in the A.M. and there were cougar tracks around our tent.

scoutlt1
06-12-2018, 08:21 PM
It was "A dark and stormy night" you say??? :)

monasheemountainman
06-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Had to shoot a bear in the face in camp once...

Drillbit
06-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Had bears bite and wreck lots of gas cans, and motorbike seats over the years.

Had a boat end up in the lake floating away after 4 guys pulled it up. Good thing the second one didn't get away, we were able to get the first, it was a mile away.
Pretty sure it was the guide we ran into that day.

HarryToolips
06-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Once while camped for a week hunting in September, we had a decent size brown coloured black bear that was acclimatized to people because it kept coming into our camp while we were away hunting, and stealing our food..we had a platform set up after the first time that we thought it couldn't climb up to, we were wrong - while getting back on the night after the first incident, it was back in the camp,and eating our food again..it was dark, we didn't know the size of the bear, and it jumped down from the platform and into the woods, stopped, and started growling and snapping its teeth at us, my brother had a semi auto rifle on him, I had my .30-06, and my other buddy had a flashlight..it was maybe 20 yards from us, when as it was growling and appeared poised to charge, my buddy had the light on it but I was the only one who could see it, but I only saw its eyes - I aimed between it's eyes, but free aimed as it was too dark to look through my scope..boom....it disappears but we weren't about to venture into the woods to see if I nailed it...slept in our vehicles that night in case it was wounded and pissed...next morning we drove our vehicles out like we were leaving but snuck back with a view of camp to see if he would come back like he did before...after waiting a while with no bear we snuck in to the woods to find out that I nailed him dead - cancelled my black bear tag but the meat was not edible unfortunately...but at least we got rid of a bear that would possibly have caused major problems for someone else...

Fella
06-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Only issue I’ve ever had was a male grouse drumming on a log right behind our tent first thing in the morning in bear camp and a pair of whiskey jacks that would steal the dogs kibble out from under his nose.

Downwindtracker2
06-12-2018, 09:10 PM
The fellow who wrote Canoe Routes of BC recommended using one of those long bicycle cables and locking your canoe at night.

high and to the right
06-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Lots of fun with animals over my 60 years of hunting:
- came back to camp and my generator was upside down with bear claw marks on it
- moose quarters hanging high on a meat pole and a bear had climbed the tree beside them and was tearing at the meat. We chased it away but it didn't want to leave. We moved the quarters away from the tree closer to the middle of the pole.
- another hunt with moose quarters on a meat pole and in the morning the hide was gone and 3 of the 4 quarters had big chunks eaten from them. Being a solo hunt I wasn't able to hang the meat very high off the ground. I tracked the drag marks from the hide but never caught the bear.
- We had a griz frequenting our camp area so I tied the elk rack with rope to a tree. Came back to camp and the rope had been untied and the rack was gone - thinking a Sasquatch.
- Pine Martin are not your friend and will gnaw through bags if they smell something inside they might like
- Caught a porcupine chewing on my truck radiator hose but was able to stop him before he punctured it
- mice - they love to crawl under your tent floor. Fun to watch them scurry away when you break camp but not fun to wipe off the droppings from the table and chairs as they cruise the camp.
- Shot a moose at last light. Worked most of the night to get the quarters out. The next afternoon I returned to get the tenderloins and back strap but the carcass was gone. I looked around and found a big pile of debree a few yards from the kill. I assume that a griz had covered it and was probably watching me so I let him/her have the choice cuts of my meat and I left the area. Not a camp story but a story of theft in nature.

bigbuzz
06-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Fishing one spring and we had just got in to bed in the camper, looked out and there was a black bear. The only thing left out was a plastic dish pan with a 1/2 liter bottle of Sunlight dish soap. The bear bit the top of the of the dish soap bottle and sucked back the entire contents, must of had quite a dump.

dmaxtech
06-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Fishing one spring and we had just got in to bed in the camper, looked out and there was a black bear. The only thing left out was a plastic dish pan with a 1/2 liter bottle of Sunlight dish soap. The bear bit the top of the of the dish soap bottle and sucked back the entire contents, must of had quite a dump.

Bear fart bubbles!!

Treed
06-12-2018, 09:44 PM
I had rats steal my wooden spoon of a deserted island in the Great Barrier Reef on route to Papua New Guinea. Almost like a beaver and a paddle!! There was an old shipwreck on the island (100 years ago?). They were lonely and hungry rats. Thank god they are small or they might have taken more than just my spoon!

gmachine19
06-12-2018, 11:06 PM
- Had a bear rummage through our camp when we were gone for the day. I stayed behind the next day hoping it would show up again as I had a tag to fill, no luck on that end.

- was sleeping in a tent when I felt tiny feet on the palm of my hands. Woke up and it was a rat (pack rat?) I panicked and threw it at my buddies. It was funny and they got so mad at me lol!

PhotoShot
06-13-2018, 02:01 AM
Had a cougar sneak within 12 feet of me while hunched over the embers of a campfire at 2am, heard a snap, turned around and clicked on my head lamp. Ever shine a flashlight into a cats eyes? WOW

finngun
06-13-2018, 02:32 AM
Pack Rats no nice visitor,,,at ya camp

303savage
06-13-2018, 05:16 AM
I had my .30-06, and my other buddy had a flashlight..it was maybe 20 yards from us, when as it was growling and appeared poised to charge, my buddy had the light on it but I was the only one who could see it, but I only saw its eyes - I aimed between it's eyes, but free aimed as it was too dark to look through my scope..boom..

A C.O is probably going to try and write you a ticket for night hunting :-)

two-feet
06-13-2018, 06:03 AM
I have a friend who turns into a bit of an animal from time to time

ryanszeredi
06-13-2018, 07:19 AM
Someone forgot a cooler on the deck at the cabin one night. so when we woke up in the morning to make breakfast and went looking for fixings in said cooler.
something had opened a latched cooler and taken out the 2 pounds of bacon only. we found the packaging 30 yards away after alittle looking.

Gone_Fishin_
06-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Not in camp but quite the encounter, had a black bear come up from behind us while fishing for coho on the island. We had 4 beauties in a rock well by shore. This is normal for this area and usually a bit of yelling or waving your arms will run them off, not this one. No matter what we did he wouldn't leave. Shot bear bangers at him, threw rocks, yelling, everything we did would not deter this bear. He laid down and ate the bellies and heads off all 4 coho while we stood pinned waist deep in the river as the only way back to shore was to wade within inches of him.

Half hour in and he decided to lay back down and nap, after a bit we didn't know what to do. Shot our last bear banger and basically bounced it off his head. He got up and gave a nasty look at us and started popping his jaws. Buddy loaded a flare (all we had left) and shot it at him right, right as it went off he turned and we watched the flare stick him in the a** cheek. Took off running and never did see him again that trip.

Fast forward to the next years fishing trip. Heading down to the same slot and we joked about the bear from the year before. Mid morning and we see another coming up the shoreline towards us, again normal for this area and see about 4-6 per day when fishing. Just give them their space and let them pass and never had an issue. As he walked by he stopped and sat down by our bags on shore. Great we thought... better not be the same bear ! this time we had no fish on shore and he moved along after a few minutes. Once he was down river a bit buddy says "look, there is a big bald spot on that bears ass", same right cheek where we saw the flare stick into the one the year before.

Had a bull moose come into our camp a few years back in region 5. It was around 11 and we were just about to head to bed. Happened to look up before heading to the tent and seen the silhouette of a big figure standing just at the edge of camp, watched him take another step, look up and see our fire. Turned around and took off like a bat outta hell. Crashing and smashing through the forest like a monster truck. Next morning spent all day hunting around camp, no moose to be found..... lol

Brez
06-13-2018, 08:30 AM
I have a friend who turns into a bit of an animal from time to time

You too? I have a friend that turned into a moth - hence he has that nick-name. If you left a light on in camp, no matter what the time, he would come visit...and not leave. He's better now.

Brez
06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Couple of years ago, while goat hunting out of my hunting trailer, we had food and utensils go missing at night. Figured it was a rat. I woke to see a pine martin scurrying around the shelter (with a wood stove) attached to the Bigfoot. Had a chuckle and went to sleep. Later, I got up to pee and when I re-entered the trailer the little bugger was on my bed! walked right past my partner and made itself at home. Had a heck of a time getting it out as it did not want to leave.

Brez
06-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Many years ago, while elk hunting out of a wall tent in the upper Elk valley, the guys in the next camp got an elk and proceeded to celebrate to the extreme. They came over to our camp and hung the quarters on a low pole next to our tent, then told us to keep an eye on the meat in case of bears. Middle of the night, I woke to hear a bear walk by the tent within inches of me and head for the meat. I could hear him chewing on the quarters. I rolled over and slept like a baby.

MichelD
06-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Mice. Crazy huge population of mice at a campsite on the Island last fall during a cow elk hunt. One even got into the canopy of my truck and ate through the thick nylon of my day pack to get at a chocolate bar in there.

The danged bull elk bugling in the trees just outside the campsite every second night was a nuisance as well. I hope he found a cow. I didn't.

caddisguy
06-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Here's a few more (I have over an hour on transit to kill) ... I have posted some of these before in other threads so they could be repeats for some.

One evening me and caddisgirl got back to camp after hunting some old growth timber. We're in a tent just about to drift off to sleep and then foot steps on the gravel. It came right up to the tent and stopped. I shouted at it and then it walked away. Once again, we are just slipping into dream land and the foot steps come back and stop at the tent right by my head of course. I shout again, it leaves again. This cycle repeated a few more times at 5-20 minute intervals. I am still not sure what I am dealing with. We had just hiked back from a spot a few kms away where we have seen bears and cougar with a limp a few weeks prior. So, once again the foot steps stop at the tent. I'm tired of the routine so I signal caddisgirl to stay quiet while I do the same. Let's see what happens. After about 30 seconds a shape about the size of a dinner plate pushes into the tent, then another. It looks like a head and shoulder mostly broadside but slighly quartered. At the time I was thinking of the cougar but I should have thought it out better... cougar would have been lower. I will admit my next move is not the brightest (I should have just walked out of the tent with a rifle after the second time and confronted it) anyway, threw all of my 150lbs at it and shoved it as hard as I could expecting to knock it right off its feet. Nope. Didn't budge and didn't react for a few seconds until it slowly walked away. I think we ended up waiting a half hour or so before retreating to and sleeping in the jeep. It must have been a pretty big bear. Funny enough I just grabbed a camera from there over the weekend and saw a tank that must be 350-400lbs ... maybe I shoved him? Lol ... who knows. I will post up that guy up soon

Next story. Caddisgirl always wakes up early, even when we are not hunting, just camping. We are at a provincial park and she wakes up to go for a walk. No bear spray or anything. Well, I am sleeping in the car and wake up to "hey! This bear followed me back. what should we do?". I look out and the bear is working over a stump a few yards away. I guess what happened was this bear happened to be cruising for bugs in the same direction caddisgirl wanted to retreat. Result was that she ended up walking backwards for 1km or so with the bear in tow. Anyway I pound back a redbull and the tables turn. We started following the bear around and filming it ... Got some nice footage of it climbing trees and knocking down a yellow jacket nest (I'll post that up later when I'm on a real computer)

Next story. We went to go camp by a river we wanted to fish but the campsite was full. We drove 20 mins or so back to one of our hunting camps, take out the gear and set up our jeep nest. Off to sleep. Next morning caddisgirl is up early as usual and fixed herself a bowl of cereal which she is standing there eating. All too common, I am awaked to "**** a bear!" ... I sit up and look outside to see what looks like some kind of stand-off (reality: they surprised each other and both are frozen) ... so caddisgirl (who has bear spray this time but is still clutching her bowl of cereal with both hands) and this bear and staring at each other, probably 2-3 yards away. All of a sudden the bear just turns and bolts. I always joke about how interrupting caddisgirl's breakfast can result in a look that will send anything running. It's not really true... but funny

Next story. Heading out camping to the same lake the bear "followed" caddisgirl back to camp. Realized after almost an hour of driving I forgot my pack with some essentials. Had to drive an hour back home then another 2.5 hours back to the lake. Not cool after a long day at work. Needless to say it was dark when we arrived and we couldn't get a site by the lake which means setting up the boat and getting it to the water the next morning will be a pain. Well, we wake up the next morning first light. There's a couple who are frantically packing up their gear and then they take off. Perfect! We migrated over to their camp right on the water and had a great day fishing. We set up our tent a little off in the trees to have shade. I woke up around 3am to bears wandering around. I heard them go down towards the water about 20 yards away. I grabbed my bear spray and got out to have a look as there is lots of moonlight. It's the same sow that followed caddisgirl the year prior and she has two cubs. Very cool. I went back to bed not worried at all. This bear has a good track record, but now I realized why the couple left in a hurry. What I didn't realize is that they had paid for the campsite for the whole weekend so we camped free. Thanks bear!!

I'm sure everyone has seen the story about the bear charge last year when I was looking for an arrow, then woke up a week later with his face right next to mine with only some soft plastic in between. If not just search.

I think that covers most of the significant camp critter tales. Hopefully someone was entertained... if not at least we were :)

wideopenthrottle
06-13-2018, 09:30 AM
as a 20ish forest fire fighter we got set down on a swamp on one flank while other crews attacked from 2 other directions...to get to the fire we had a 1 mile hose lay that started in the swamp and went up a steep bank....about half way up the bank, there was a bench where we set up our tents (we were 3 crews of 6 guys on our site and more than 60 people and a half dozen machines on the fire)

After a long evening, we settled in to make some food and after a great pig out we dug the bottles out.....

come first light, one of the guys says "heh there is an animal out there" and then proceeds to freak out when he looks out and sees a bear......I sit up yell "f off bear" and it takes off...after about one more hour of sleep we all get up and investigate the commotion....

a black bear had come along the bench and found our drinks cooler....every single pop and apple juice had been bit open and drank.....in the cooler was also a case of grapefruit juice....we laughed cuz the bear had only bitten one grapefruit juice and left the rest but drank every single other can of pop and juice in the cooler

Iron Glove
06-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Not quite in camp but @ 40 years ago the Wife and I were tenting in Banff and for what ever reason we were having an argument so I figured the best thing to do was go outside and take a pee. It's pitch black out, left my glasses in the tent so can't see worth a damn but find a small bush near the tent to pee on.
The bush started moving and I cry out "Crap, I'm pissing on a bear." Wife screams "Get back in the tent right now" to which I could only reply "I can't I'm still pissing."
The bear sauntered off, I crawl back into the tent and we didn't argue anymore.

albravo2
06-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Couple years ago up Tulameen we had several deer that wouldn't leave us alone. We were sitting by the fire in the early evening and we could see them sneaking close in the sparse trees around our camp. Turns out they had a taste for my wife's Franks Red Hot chicken wings. We had the plates sitting on the tailgate of the truck and they would sneak right up and lick the plates while we sat and talked in evening light about 15 feet away. Definitely the weirdest animal behaviour I've seen while camping.

mpotzold
06-13-2018, 03:26 PM
The only encounter we ever had with a cougar was while camping north of Gang. The big cat loved the smell of fried smoked pork chops & approached the camper within 20 to 30 feet. A double barreled 12 g shotgun blast above its head immediately changed its mind never to be seen or heard again.

Had a wolverine approach our tents in the Yukon in 1965 late at night & was finally shot.

Had this only happen once
See POST#22

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?143066-Rodents-in-engine-compartment&highlight=pack+rats

Bustercluck
06-13-2018, 06:12 PM
We had some mice in our hunting camp last fall. We put out a five gallon beer can trap out and it took care of the lot of them in one night

Big Lew
06-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Not my story, but my youngst brother's truck broke down 15 miles in the wilderness from
his camp, and as the truck was at quite an angle and it was a nice autumn evening with a
full moon, he spread his sleeping bag out by some big trees. He was alone and even though
he worked as a logger and rancher, was nervous about being by himself out there at night.
After falling asleep with his roaded rifle right beside him, he said he had something land on his
chest with a big thump. Startled, when he opened his eyes he saw something big, gray, and
furry staring right at him. He said he let out a big scream like a girl as he frantically batted it
away. He had batted it through the air a few feet, and then it rolled up against a tree. In a
panicky split second he was able to grab his gun and shoot that monster as it came up against
the tree. It was a large Pack Rat. This unnerved him so badly he walked all the way back to
camp while swinging his rifle back and forth in front of him...just in case...lol!

caddisguy
06-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Next story. Caddisgirl always wakes up early, even when we are not hunting, just camping. We are at a provincial park and she wakes up to go for a walk. No bear spray or anything. Well, I am sleeping in the car and wake up to "hey! This bear followed me back. what should we do?". I look out and the bear is working over a stump a few yards away. I guess what happened was this bear happened to be cruising for bugs in the same direction caddisgirl wanted to retreat. Result was that she ended up walking backwards for 1km or so with the bear in tow. Anyway I pound back a redbull and the tables turn. We started following the bear around and filming it ... Got some nice footage of it climbing trees and knocking down a yellow jacket nest (I'll post that up later when I'm on a real computer)

Next story. Heading out camping to the same lake the bear "followed" caddisgirl back to camp. Realized after almost an hour of driving I forgot my pack with some essentials. Had to drive an hour back home then another 2.5 hours back to the lake. Not cool after a long day at work. Needless to say it was dark when we arrived and we couldn't get a site by the lake which means setting up the boat and getting it to the water the next morning will be a pain. Well, we wake up the next morning first light. There's a couple who are frantically packing up their gear and then they take off. Perfect! We migrated over to their camp right on the water and had a great day fishing. We set up our tent a little off in the trees to have shade. I woke up around 3am to bears wandering around. I heard them go down towards the water about 20 yards away. I grabbed my bear spray and got out to have a look as there is lots of moonlight. It's the same sow that followed caddisgirl the year prior and she has two cubs. Very cool. I went back to bed not worried at all. This bear has a good track record, but now I realized why the couple left in a hurry. What I didn't realize is that they had paid for the campsite for the whole weekend so we camped free. Thanks bear!!

Here's the video of the bear from a couple of the stories from my post earlier... the bear stuff starts at 2:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFRWO4K1Ms

Ohwildwon
06-13-2018, 11:03 PM
Is a Horse Fly, considered an animal?!

Had one attacking me relentlessly for a good 20 min, walking back to camp, let my guard down, took a chunk out of my bicep...

It hit the jackpot, blood streaming down my arm...

hunter1947
06-14-2018, 03:58 AM
I have had grizzlies come into my camp during the night times over the past 5 years ,,I had a WT deer buck taken off my meat pole 3 years ago from a grizzle bear ..

.................................................. .......................http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1280.JPG

Squamch
06-14-2018, 07:05 AM
There's a backcountry cabin a friend built, an hour from any road, and calling it a road is generous.
It's got a lower floor, with a stove and counter and a couple benches, and a sleeping loft. Under the cabin is random crap storage, and woodshed.
The place gets 10+ feet of snow every year, and is used for backcountry skiing by a few folks. So he's up there one fall, getting it stocked with firewood for the winter, and doing the annual clean out. After some drinks and recreational herbage, he crawls upstairs (upladder) and into his fart sack and passes out.

Middle of the night there's a bumping at the door, and it pops open. He sits up, and peers down and sees a black bear pushing through the door.
The door swings shut behind it.
The only door.
So he's now in an 8x12 A frame cabin, with a bear. Fortunately, there's a bb gun upstairs, for shooting mice, and he used it to swing the door open, then went to the far end, where the bear is now curled up on the floor enjoying a relaxing evening in the last vestiges of woodstove heat, and asked the bear to leave.

The cabin door has a latch on the inside too now.

mpotzold
06-14-2018, 08:53 PM

Had one attacking me relentlessly for a good 20 min, walking back to camp, let my guard down, took a chunk out of my bicep...

Blame it on the female that needed your blood to procreate.

One of the reasons I disliked about hunting moose in August north of Germansen.

Remember one morning while approaching a swampy area the kamikaze face dives by literally dozens. Had to run for my life! :shock:

And lets not forget the hanging animal at camp. They’re capable of biting through the cheesecloth to feed &/or lay their eggs.
Definitely a numero uno pest!:evil:

scoutlt1
06-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Evil basturds...... :mad:

Big Lew
06-14-2018, 10:15 PM

Those blood thirsty buggers can fly fast! Many times I've seen them pacing my vehicle at close
to 30 mph just outside a side window. I had to call it quits one sunny day on one of my bicycle
tours up north of Carmacks because of them. There's no way a person can chase them off even
with a stick when you're trying to pedal and hold on to the handle bars. Used up a lot of Band-Aids
for sure! Fortunately my wife was hop scotching our truck along as we went so I was able to seek
sanctuary. Resumed my trip really early in the morning before those hordes became active.

Bigdoggdon
06-15-2018, 12:29 AM
Oh man where do you start with this one

My very first moose hunt had a black bear visit the meat pole in the middle of the night and drag away a quarter, found it up a trail about 200 yrds from camp in the morning. Never saw or heard the bear. Friends came back later in the season and camped in the same spot shot a black bear standing on top on their game pole in the middle of the night. Strongly suspect it was the same bear.

Was driving past another hunters camp one time saw that they had a moose quartered and hung, two of the quarters were tied to the back of their quad, remember thinking man they should really have that pulled up higher. Drove past their camp again the next morning and saw the two quarters on the ground all torn up and the quad standing on its nose under the meat pole.

Had a moose quartered and hung in camp one time, went out for an evening hunt came back at dark and could see that something had been at it. Tracks on the ground were grizzly. Left the diesel truck running all night with the headlights pointed at the meat and the bear still came back.

Was camping with a girlfriend one time, heard rustling outside the tent. As I pulled down the zipper of the tent to see what was out there a black nose pushed its way through the opening, my reflex was to give it a quick bop in end of his nose. He let out a holler and I could here him balling for 500yrds as he ran off. We decided to sleep in the car that night.

And that's not counting all the small critter encounters. Martins chewing on deer, Pack rats in the outhouse or under the hood, Squirrels living in the cabin, voles warming themselves by the fire beside you.

All kinds of fun

wideopenthrottle
06-15-2018, 07:00 AM
I have had grizzlies come into my camp during the night times over the past 5 years ,,I had a WT deer buck taken off my meat pole 3 years ago from a grizzle bear ..

.................................................. .......................http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1280.JPG

were you anywhere near bull river ....we had a big doe stolen off our pole there...I notice the bear is collared.....

Fella
06-15-2018, 07:11 AM
Those blood thirsty buggers can fly fast! Many times I've seen them pacing my vehicle at close
to 30 mph just outside a side window. I had to call it quits one sunny day on one of my bicycle
tours up north of Carmacks because of them. There's no way a person can chase them off even
with a stick when you're trying to pedal and hold on to the handle bars. Used up a lot of Band-Aids
for sure! Fortunately my wife was hop scotching our truck along as we went so I was able to seek
sanctuary. Resumed my trip really early in the morning before those hordes became active.

Theres a member of that species (hybometra hinei wrighti) that has been clocked at 145 Kmh when chasing a female.

DHCaptain
06-15-2018, 09:53 AM
So we're are camped in a 16x12 wall tent south of Vanderhoof c/w wood stove to dry out clothes. On night one with 3 guys damp clothes hanging by the wood stove. In the morning Bill's socks are full of holes. Other 2 guys stuff not touched. Darned pack rat!😬
Next morning both Bill's socks and shirt are full of holes, again other 2,guys stuff not touched. This scenario continued for the entire hunt.

when we got home Bill discovered that the pack rat(s) had built a huge nest next to the the turbo on his 3500 turbo diesel which included parts of his socks, shirt, and wool pants.

So why were the other guys stuff not touched?

wideopenthrottle
06-15-2018, 10:35 AM
So we're are camped in a 16x12 wall tent south of Vanderhoof c/w wood stove to dry out clothes. On night one with 3 guys damp clothes hanging by the wood stove. In the morning Bill's socks are full of holes. Other 2 guys stuff not touched. Darned pack rat!
Next morning both Bill's socks and shirt are full of holes, again other 2,guys stuff not touched. This scenario continued for the entire hunt.

when we got home Bill discovered that the pack rat(s) had built a huge nest next to the the turbo on his 3500 turbo diesel which included parts of his socks, shirt, and wool pants.

So why were the other guys stuff not touched?

maybe it wanted the smells to match...heheheh

wideopenthrottle
06-15-2018, 10:37 AM
maybe the rat could tell the smells were the same and didn't want the nest to have a different smell than the location?

moosinaround
06-15-2018, 11:27 AM
porcupines chewing on the plywood door of the cabin, porkies chewing the wiring on our excavators, and trailers, mice running across my chest as I lay sleeping in my sleeping bag. Sleeping in the tent with my wife, and rocks start falling off the bank, sounding like HUGE bear foot prints!!! Elk bugling for 3 hours straight, while im trying to get some sleep, so I can chase them and try to kill them the next day!!

walks with deer
06-15-2018, 11:42 AM
i have a long list of this...

one of my favorite was travelling and stopping at blue lake resort in the middle of the night...one cabin was not occupied so myself and girlfreind help ourselves....

turns out cabin was empty as a bear lived under it...

had cougar and bobcat issues...

lynk sprayed my wifes car lol...

moose charging through camp breaking everything..
bears in utility trailer.

my freind shot a grizzly out of the box of a pickup truck while his freinds where in it...lol
shot bears in camp.

j270wsm
06-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Squirrels.... found 5 babies in a drawer in our trailer a few yrs ago. Nothing a rat trap and peanut butter won't fix

wideopenthrottle
06-15-2018, 02:09 PM
porcupines chewing on the plywood door of the cabin, porkies chewing the wiring on our excavators, and trailers, mice running across my chest as I lay sleeping in my sleeping bag. Sleeping in the tent with my wife, and rocks start falling off the bank, sounding like HUGE bear foot prints!!! Elk bugling for 3 hours straight, while im trying to get some sleep, so I can chase them and try to kill them the next day!!

Goat haven: After getting a goat late in the evening about 8km from main camp, we made the commitment to stay up on the mountain with our Spartan spike camp gear...it was Spartan cuz the 3rd guy we were with, decided to go back down after losing his nerve...like shakes and everything....so we said "cya later".. "were gonna go get one of them sons a bitches"....

Buddy who went back, had been up on the mountain goat trails of shale the day before and just couldn't do it again...unfortunately we forgot to get his portion of the camping supplies, so we had a tent and bags but no food (I had some snacks I always carry and we had goat meat, so we knew we would survive heheheh....

After we descended as far as the light would allow, we got into the trees and found a spot as close to level as we could.....we set up spike camp and layed a tarp out with all the meat to cool it properly overnight. As we were on a finger of a ridge/hill there was really only one was to get to us so our door faced that way just in case....

As we were getting comfy we heard the howls of wolves up where we had left the carcass (partner had done it gutless) as well as two other locations further away howling back.....partner had his golden lab (incredibly trained) but she was scared of wolves and was shaking and scared trying to get between our sleeping bags....she just wouldn't settle while the howling went on....Finally I yelled at the top of my lungs to the wolves to "SHUT THE FACH UP"...as soon as I did the wolf howling stopped mid howl and we never hear another peep out of them.....

buddy then turned to me and said "well at least with wolves being here we wont have to worry about griz" and we chuckled as we drifted off to sleep with the dog cuddled between us

panhead
06-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Was camping in a forestry campsite a while ago and left a bottle of Baileys on the table for morning coffee reinforcement. A couple of really drunk yahoos moved in next to me one day and came over to borrow a Saskatchewan spanner, which I lent them and they returned. The next morning I was heading out fishing when one of them asked if they could use the wrench again as they were leaving. I said “sure” just leave it on the table when you are done with it. When I returned from fishing I noticed the wrench was there but the Baileys had been replaced by a half bottle of rye.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time is the fire in which we all burn

DarekG
06-15-2018, 04:41 PM
When I returned from fishing I noticed the wrench was there but the Baileys had been replaced by a half bottle of rye.

Sounds like a good trade to me. :lol:

Jrax
06-16-2018, 09:05 AM
some rodent ate all the cork off my fishing rod while camping at a lake. grizzly once destroyed our sheep spike camp in spatsizi, thankfully we slept in sleeping bags on shale up on the mountain that night.

decker9
06-16-2018, 09:53 AM
A few run in’s, but have never had a problem. Except one time, frigin ground squirrel robbed my last pack of captain blacks, 2 days before the plane picked us up. If ida known which one it was, we woulda been eating ground squirrel that night.

Fella
06-16-2018, 10:47 AM
A few run in’s, but have never had a problem. Except one time, frigin ground squirrel robbed my last pack of captain blacks, 2 days before the plane picked us up. If ida known which one it was, we woulda been eating ground squirrel that night.
That sucks, captain blacks are a staple in our hunting camp. I’d be choked.

scoutlt1
06-16-2018, 04:53 PM
A bunch of cows wandering through camp about an hour after falling asleep in the tent trailer. Funny what that sounds like when you're half asleep after a night of beers by the fire!

Besides that mostly rodents...

One of my first solo hiking trips many moons ago. A couple of mice outside my tent in the middle of the night woke me up thinking I was surrounded by hungry bears.. (Bought my Defender after that trip :) )

Pack rat around the engine of the jeep. It was like my dog was on coke for two days until I finally nailed that f**cker!!!

decker9
06-16-2018, 05:11 PM
That sucks, captain blacks are a staple in our hunting camp. I’d be choked.

The captains weren’t the only thing they got into, luckily we still had a couple of these chilling in the lake lol. Sorry bout the link, I’m not around my PC to post the actual photo.

https://imgur.com/a/ACaQsBk

Big Lew
06-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Wasn't a hunting camp, but I had a large pack of wolves pick a little meadow right beside
my tent to hold a singalong for at least an hour. The constant din was deafening at times.
I was up in the Cascades along the Alaskan Hwy on a bicycle tour in June, about the same time
as a lot of grizzles start wandering around after hibernation, so although I didn't think they were
a real threat to me, I was already feeling a little vulnerable in my wee 2 man piece of thin nylon.

mpotzold
08-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Not in camp but quite the encounter, had a black bear come up from behind us while fishing for coho on the island. We had 4 beauties in a rock well by shore. This is normal for this area and usually a bit of yelling or waving your arms will run them off, not this one. No matter what we did he wouldn't leave. Shot bear bangers at him, threw rocks, yelling, everything we did would not deter this bear. He laid down and ate the bellies and heads off all 4 coho while we stood pinned waist deep in the river as the only way back to shore was to wade within inches of him.

Half hour in and he decided to lay back down and nap, after a bit we didn't know what to do. Shot our last bear banger and basically bounced it off his head. He got up and gave a nasty look at us and started popping his jaws. Buddy loaded a flare (all we had left) and shot it at him right, right as it went off he turned and we watched the flare stick him in the a** cheek. Took off running and never did see him again that trip.

Fast forward to the next years fishing trip. Heading down to the same slot and we joked about the bear from the year before. Mid morning and we see another coming up the shoreline towards us, again normal for this area and see about 4-6 per day when fishing. Just give them their space and let them pass and never had an issue. As he walked by he stopped and sat down by our bags on shore. Great we thought... better not be the same bear ! this time we had no fish on shore and he moved along after a few minutes. Once he was down river a bit buddy says "look, there is a big bald spot on that bears ass", same right cheek where we saw the flare stick into the one the year before.

Had a bull moose come into our camp a few years back in region 5. It was around 11 and we were just about to head to bed. Happened to look up before heading to the tent and seen the silhouette of a big figure standing just at the edge of camp, watched him take another step, look up and see our fire. Turned around and took off like a bat outta hell. Crashing and smashing through the forest like a monster truck. Next morning spent all day hunting around camp, no moose to be found..... lol

LATEST
East coast bear attacks canoeist camp while sleeping in tents –bites woman creating a serious medical emergency. Her husband smashed the bear with a log but the bear stayed in the vicinity.
Later they tried bear bangers but had no success forcing them to move asap.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/labrador-bear-attack-lessons-learned-1.5233238

Lesson learned –carry a weapon –have an electric fence surround the tent/s.

MDR
08-03-2019, 12:28 PM
I've been "attacked" by a grouse protecting her chicks while I was shore fishing. It was pretty funny to have this bird beating it's wings at my feet.

Another time I had put out deer feed (legal when I lived in ON), left the tailgate down and the tonneau folded back just in case a bear came by. A bear did indeed come by, maybe it was upset by not finding the food in the truck, so it decided to tear the tonneau apart.

I took my atv back into the mountains looking for a caribou last year when a marmot decided to chew on my diff vent tubes as I was dozing off to sleep. It ran off after I threw a couple rocks at it.

Walking Buffalo
08-03-2019, 12:30 PM
There is a lesson somewhere in this one.

Out hunting for the day with a neighbor, his van, his rules.

He wants to leave the keys by a fencepost, hidden in the grass.
I suggest at least putting a rock over the keys, but no....

Come back at dark and can't find the keys.
They are simply not by the fencepost anymore

Half hour of looking by flashlight and both of us getting pissed, I notice a small 2" wide rathole ten feet from the post.
Worth a look....
See something shiny a foot down the hole.
Bleepin Rats!

Fella
08-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Sleeping on cots in a wall tent, heard something moving around, shined headlamp at buddy and mouse was sitting on his head eating a sunflower seed

Mosin
08-03-2019, 01:41 PM
My 1st buck I be smart and hang the deer about 15 feet high, wake up in the morning and it's covered with birds!!! My 1st moose the whiskeyjacks were so bold, I had trouble shooting them away, they would come within 3 feet of me but hop away if I swatted at them. I threw a huge piece of hide with fat/meat about 30 feet away and let them have at it

simonvancouver
08-03-2019, 06:50 PM
not in camp, but out grouse hunting one morning, stopped for a piss, stood there d*ck in hand as a cougar walks in front of me 40 yards away, just looks at me and carries on. Scared the shit out of me.

HappyJack
08-03-2019, 08:07 PM
Had an ermin climbing down the meat pole rope trying to get at my freshly skinned buck, tried to take him out with a stick several time and he just kept coming back. So fashioned some snares around the meat pole and hanging rope, he never showed back up after that.

Turned around in camp to see a grizz 60 feet away scratching his butt on a tree, we kept firing high powered rifles to scare him off and he still came back 2 more times. The last time he came within 40 feet...almost shot him at that point.

Several times we have had black bears coming into camp looking for trouble, had to kill a couple of them, the rest left when the guns went off. One stole half my moose antlers.

One deer hunt my SIL was skinning a deer and tossing the chunks onto a tarp, a coyote came right up to him and started to feed....I put a quick stop to that.

Up near Pink Mountain one hunt and a pine martin ran off with our loaf of bread, sneaky bugger.

Came back to camp and found a big pile of grizz poop right beside the camp stove, big like 2 big shovel loads, never touched the dirty fry pan or anything, just left his calling card. That night he came back and we could smell him so the next morning we moved camp 30 km away from that spot.

08-03-2019, 09:29 PM
A few incidents on northern remote sheep and elk hunts......
Not fun. Down right scary.
Grizz make no issue with trying to claim easy dead critters to them but hard earned for us.
Be prepared and keep your shat together.

Porkys love chewin on leather riggin. Try to shew them away but they can be persistant bastdards and can spoil your horseback ride out.

Blackies on deer hunts seem to get the idea of get the eff outa here easier than Grizz IMO. So far.

Cougars marking on our hanging poles.

Whiskey jacks pain in the backside but entertaining.

Mice and pack rats make good target practice and trapping contests .