PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy next?

Travisimo
06-11-2018, 08:08 PM
I'm a newish hunter, I have been at it 5 years, so far have taken 2 deer(one myself, and one with a friend), lots of grouse, and spent lots of time sitting in the woods wondering if I'm anywhere near where I should be. I have found lots of good information online, and in the archives of this site, about what you need to get going, but not much for what to do next. I have friends who hunt, but we all basically started at the same time, so not so much in the way of experience, so we're all kind of aimlessly figuring out what to do next, so that is the question I'm putting up here to see if I can get any insight. I have hunted 2-16, 2-11, 3-32, 3-33, and 5-03 for deer. I plan to narrow it down a bit and focus on hunting 3-32 for mule deer for awhile and see if I can find some success. I like to hike and hunt away from the road wherever practical, so I lean towards gear that is lightweight.

I also want to hunt Moose in the future, and dream of taking an Elk, and a Sheep one day.

My question is, what should be my priority to save up and spend my money on this year, budgeting around $1000? Or, just spend it on gas and ammunition to go scouting, and go to the range?

What I have:
Savage Mk2 22
80's era Ruger m77 in 270 win with a Leupold VX2 3-9 x 42
Vortex Diamondback 10x42 binoculars
Old Bushnell 18-36x50 spotting scope
20 year old 65 L MEC backpack
MEC Camper 2 Person tent
-12 Western Mountaineering sleeping bag
Thermarest neo-air venture
MSR Dragonfly stove
Cabelas Space Rain jacket
Black gore-tex rain pants - not sure what brand
10x12 Sil-tarp
Crappy tire collapsible saw with wood and bone blades
Cheap boning knife
Leatherman Skeletool

I have been camping and backpacking for years, so I feel I have the basics covered, and I am able to get out into the woods, but I definitely have room to make things better.

What I'm considering getting next:
Rangefinder
Better spotting scope (my Bushnell has a very narrow field of view)
Radio for my truck for safety and communication on logging roads
Better rain gear- Unfortunately my Arcteryx jacket is a nicely visible light blue, so not the best for hunting

I'm definitely getting a better field dressing knife, I just haven't decided what kind yet

Pinewood
06-11-2018, 08:14 PM
I'd sell the bushnell and the vortex and buy a premium set of 10 power binos and run them on a tripod. And get good boots.

Greenthumbed
06-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Looks like you have a pretty good kit. Maybe time for a pack upgrade to something hunting specific. I've got a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. It's a real quality piece of equipment. Other than that, I think you answered your own question with gas, ammo and range time.

b.c hunter 88
06-11-2018, 08:26 PM
fuel to go lol

Wild one
06-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Don’t worry about gear it’s over rated

mmckimmi
06-11-2018, 08:39 PM
A good backpack is a game changer. Look for a frame pack with a meat shelf.

Black Lab
06-11-2018, 08:41 PM
The best thing you have is youth ,,,,,, highly underrated. Ditch that Crappy Tire saw and get a Silky "PocketBoy" folding saw from Amazon.ca

Wild one
06-11-2018, 08:48 PM
A good backpack is a game changer. Look for a frame pack with a meat shelf.

This I can agree with. A good pack or pack board is important for recovery any distance from the road

Outside of that you have a weapon, bino’s, and a knife your good to go. I do like to pack calls but that is a species time of year thing. Tree stands and blinds for some species as well

You seem to have your species of interest build your gear and knowledge around that

boxhitch
06-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Better spotting scope (my Bushnell has a very narrow field of view)Sentry?
actually wider than my Swaro

No need for high end binos if you are using a spotter also

cheap knife is relative to how sharp it is

boxhitch
06-11-2018, 08:53 PM
"I have been camping and backpacking for years, so I feel I have the basics covered, and I am able to get out into the woods, but I definitely have room to make things better."

then you just need to add in the meat handling

Timberjack
06-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Top quality boots to take you away from the roads. Buy once and cry once as they say... The rest on gas to get u there. I like your approach and good things will come. The other guys are right on a good pack, especially for moose elk or long backpack trips. That said I got by with my MEC internal frame pack for 15 years and still run an internal frame pack for alpine mulies goat and sheep (arcteryx bora).

Giver with what you have and have fun!

TJ

srthomas75
06-11-2018, 09:37 PM
I would say you have everything. I agree with getting a good pair of binos. [ I don't think you need a rangefinder unless maybe sheep hunting? ] I've never used one in my 20+ years at this hunting thing. and I'd like to think I've done ok so far. Good gear is wise but I don't think you need much of it. my 30+ year old wool pants keep me warm and dry [ amazing, I know and they aren't even camo ] Same goes for my stanfield and red chequered coat.

Ferenc
06-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Nice list .... maybe I missed it ... but a good “headlamp”

Travisimo
06-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Top quality boots to take you away from the roads. Buy once and cry once as they say... The rest on gas to get u there. I like your approach and good things will come. The other guys are right on a good pack, especially for moose elk or long backpack trips. That said I got by with my MEC internal frame pack for 15 years and still run an internal frame pack for alpine mulies goat and sheep (arcteryx bora).

Giver with what you have and have fun!

TJ

I definitely agree about good boots. I didn't put it on the list, but I have a really nice pair of Zamberlan boots that fit me really well, so I'm planning to keep those until they wear out. Which might not be too long, hunting off trail in the late fall is a lot harder on boots than hiking on trails in the summer. New boots might be coming up in a year or two

Travisimo
06-11-2018, 09:54 PM
This I can agree with. A good pack or pack board is important for recovery any distance from the road

Outside of that you have a weapon, bino’s, and a knife your good to go. I do like to pack calls but that is a species time of year thing. Tree stands and blinds for some species as well

You seem to have your species of interest build your gear and knowledge around that

A pack more designed for hunting would be nice. Mine has served me well, but it is blue, and is starting to show it's age.

That said, where would one buy a good hunting focused pack? I would definitely want to try it on for fit before buying one.

moosinaround
06-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Buck 105 fixedblade knife, good set of Scarpa boots, a pack frame of some sort, and the rest on time in the woods. Moosin

GEF
06-12-2018, 05:42 AM
If you are a mountain hunter your feet get you there and back ( boots )and your eyes ( bino's) find the game.
In spite of some folks opinions get some Swarovski or Leica 10 x42 bino's and the best boots you can find that fit!Don't compromise ,once you get them you will wonder how the hell you got by before you had them.

two-feet
06-12-2018, 06:10 AM
Dont hunt moose without a pack frame. You can but the bare frame and keep it in the truck, use your mec for the first load out then switch over.
If I have $1000 to spend on hunting it always will go towards a trip, it means i dont have the greatest gear but it gets well used!

Greenthumbed
06-12-2018, 06:24 AM
I know you would be able to try a pack on, the buy and sell page on this site is a great resource for gear.

SR80
06-12-2018, 06:25 AM
I would get a range finder, or a better pack next..or both. Mystery ranch seems to be the best and most affordable for us in Canada right now.

chris
06-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Ammo for the gun range. Practice makes perfect.
Gasoline for the truck to get out there. Honestly shooting is undervalued by a lot of hunters, practice as much as you can and not just off the bench.

two-feet
06-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Dont hunt moose without a pack frame. You can but the bare frame and keep it in the truck, use your mec for the first load out then switch over.
If I have $1000 to spend on hunting it always will go towards a trip, it means i dont have the greatest gear but it gets well used!

Andrewh
06-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Do NOT replace your jacket, bright blue works just fine...

I've killed many animals without fancy camo.

monasheemountainman
06-12-2018, 08:53 AM

I agree with this, you have good rain gear, keep it. put the money toward range finder, jet boil, head lamp, eventually better spotter! Youre on the right track and you have most of the basics to keep you out in the bush...my 2 cents

walks with deer
06-12-2018, 01:38 PM
sharp axe for spliting and quartering big game...ammo to practice and do it....
gear does not!!! get you game...effort and time spent does.

walks with deer
06-12-2018, 01:39 PM
i have shot game wearing just my underwear...and also shot game wearing a suite....oppurtunity and ability.

Travisimo
06-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's great hearing people's experience.

Time in the woods is definitely my favourite thing to do, and I'm hoping to spend more time out exploring this year than the last couple years. I just wish I had more free time to make use of.

Nice premium binoculars would be fantastic, but man are good optics expensive. I've had the chance to look through some nice scopes and binoculars, the difference is amazing, and I'm going to do it at some point, but man does it hurt right in the wallet.

Carrollizer
06-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Jeez I wish I had a G to spend for hunting only!

northof49
06-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Good headlamp for hands free in dark, good boots as others said, packboard, compass and GPS if don’t already have them

Piperdown
06-12-2018, 04:08 PM
On stand by at the mill, so i went and spent the extra money on some Hanwag boots and a new inreach explorer, better hope i am not delayed again, who knows what i will buy then :mrgreen:

last light
06-12-2018, 07:29 PM
The best thing you have is youth ,,,,,, highly underrated. Ditch that Crappy Tire saw and get a Silky "PocketBoy" folding saw from Amazon.ca

I looked these up and they look very nice. It looks like a lot to choose from, both models and tooth count. Any suggestion which one would be best? I'm thinking in terms of cutting deer ribs, spine, and legs. Thanks in advance.

HarryToolips
06-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Good headlamp for hands free in dark, good boots as others said, packboard, compass and GPS if don’t already have them
This.....I personally don't have a GPS, as I have a lot of experience navigating without one, but I can see how beneficial it would be when setting up trail cams....learn how to use a compass and navigate in general, and get yourself a waterproof map of the area your primarily hunting/hiking in....if you want some navigation tips, feel free to pm me...I also really like my outdoor edge knife, a good knife pays off...good raingear is huge...

mountain_hunter
06-12-2018, 11:17 PM

Yes this would be an intelligent new purchase, and unlike other items on your wish list it does not have to break the bank. They use to cost $300+, but you can actually get something that is not cheap for $30. Here is some information that I just posted on another thread:

The Baofeng two way radio are great. Yes they are Chinese (isn't most of our stuff from China anyway), but well designed, well rated. Even the amateur radio crowd love them. At $30 on Amazon everyone who goes on logging roads should own and use one. Here is my information from when I was looking to buy a two way radio capable of communicating at the RR logging roads frequencies (150.08-151.67 MHz). Note that standard two way radios do not communicate at these "commercial" frequencies.

This is actually written for BC. It gives the background of the new RR radio standard, why the baofeng is great, an how to program it.
http://www.westcoastplacer.com/progr...bcs-backroads/
http://www.westcoastplacer.com/gear-...andheld-radio/

Strongly recommend buying a 40 cm SMA antenna. The antenna that come with any two way radio are too small to receive and transmit over great distance. My experiance was that the standard antenna only covered the distance between two calls as I traveled up and another vehicle traveled down.

You don't need the cable to program the ratio with the RR frequencies. Using the instruction manual I was able to program the 35 RR + 5 channels in about one hour.

Squamch
06-13-2018, 06:50 AM
I looked these up and they look very nice. It looks like a lot to choose from, both models and tooth count. Any suggestion which one would be best? I'm thinking in terms of cutting deer ribs, spine, and legs. Thanks in advance.

I bought mine at KMS tools. Use a coarse blade for wood, fine tooth for bones. The silky saws (or any other jap saw) cuts on the pull stroke, and has enough set to the teeth that it opens a wider channel than the blade. Great if you're clearing alders off the trail, or cutting a standing dead for firewood. I carry a 10" blade pocket boy in my pack.

I would spend time and money on hunting if I was you.

Travisimo
06-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Yes this would be an intelligent new purchase, and unlike other items on your wish list it does not have to break the bank. They use to cost $300+, but you can actually get something that is not cheap for $30. Here is some information that I just posted on another thread:

The Baofeng two way radio are great. Yes they are Chinese (isn't most of our stuff from China anyway), but well designed, well rated. Even the amateur radio crowd love them. At $30 on Amazon everyone who goes on logging roads should own and use one. Here is my information from when I was looking to buy a two way radio capable of communicating at the RR logging roads frequencies (150.08-151.67 MHz). Note that standard two way radios do not communicate at these "commercial" frequencies.

This is actually written for BC. It gives the background of the new RR radio standard, why the baofeng is great, an how to program it.
http://www.westcoastplacer.com/progr...bcs-backroads/
http://www.westcoastplacer.com/gear-...andheld-radio/

Strongly recommend buying a 40 cm SMA antenna. The antenna that come with any two way radio are too small to receive and transmit over great distance. My experiance was that the standard antenna only covered the distance between two calls as I traveled up and another vehicle traveled down.

You don't need the cable to program the ratio with the RR frequencies. Using the instruction manual I was able to program the 35 RR + 5 channels in about one hour.

That's a great suggestion. That's cheap enough that I won't be scared to use it, and if I decide I want something different I'm not out a lot of money

Do you need to take a radio course in order to operate one of these? It's something I've been meaning to do, but haven't made the time for yet.

ajr5406
06-13-2018, 02:33 PM
After good quality boots, id get a good hunting pack.

Another thing to consider (like what HarryToolips suggested) is to pick up a good compass and map of the area you want to hunt, and learn how to use them. Last year as a relatively new hunter, i took a compass and navigation course at MEC which was really good and free. It was just the basics, but very enjoyable. I am thinking of taking it again this year...

HarryToolips
06-13-2018, 09:16 PM
^^^^get lost just once and they'll listen..

Redthies
06-13-2018, 09:25 PM

I tell new hunters if they are worried about ruining their good goretex, just buy a really cheap long sleeve camo shirt made from nylon and get it a few sizes too big so you can put it on top of your goretex. It’s not ideal, but it will protect you expensive arcteryx or Patagonia from Rios and (hopefully) blood.

last light
06-13-2018, 09:42 PM
I bought mine at KMS tools. Use a coarse blade for wood, fine tooth for bones. The silky saws (or any other jap saw) cuts on the pull stroke, and has enough set to the teeth that it opens a wider channel than the blade. Great if you're clearing alders off the trail, or cutting a standing dead for firewood. I carry a 10" blade pocket boy in my pack.

I would spend time and money on hunting if I was you.

Thanks for the reply and for the valuable info, much appreciated. Will be looking for one for sure.