PDA

View Full Version : Back Road Scanners

Black Lab
06-06-2018, 12:40 AM
I'm looking for some way of listening in on logging truck travel on the back roads.I know pretty much nothing about these radios. I hear there are uhf, vhf and scanners. What would be the easiest way to listen in on the truck drivers ? Also what kind of range would one expect in the mountains?

S.W.A.T.
06-06-2018, 07:04 AM
I'm looking for some way of listening in on logging truck travel on the back roads.I know pretty much nothing about these radios. I hear there are uhf, vhf and scanners. What would be the easiest way to listen in on the truck drivers ? Also what kind of range would one expect in the mountains?

Why not get a two way. Much safer for everyone.

dakoda62
06-06-2018, 07:31 AM
2 way radio's i think work better, programmable to RR channels. Plus gives you the ability to call location on Fsr roads.

Downwindtracker2
06-06-2018, 07:59 AM
I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in 50 years,, but I ventured into Wapiti country south of Tumbler Ridge, still in BC on a forestry road and dam near got run off the road by those rig movers. Everyone of them. Damm those FK 'bertans . The only way to drive was to have your partner hang out the window with the rifle pointed at the cab.

northof49
06-06-2018, 08:24 AM
^^^^Did you have a radio? All traffic travelling down (out) has right-of-way and you must clear if heading up the road. If not you were the problem.

S.W.A.T.
06-06-2018, 08:28 AM
I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in 50 years,, but I ventured into Wapiti country south of Tumbler Ridge, still in BC on a forestry road and dam near got run off the road by those rig movers. Everyone of them. Damm those FK 'bertans . The only way to drive was to have your partner hang out the window with the rifle pointed at the cab.

That's the dumbest comment I have read in this site.

The moment you choose to use a resource or any other radio control road and you choose not to use a radio you are taking a massive risk on your part and endangering your life and the life of anyone else that might be using that road.

On a side note anyone who points a gun at another person to incite intimidation is a fool. Point a gun at me and you better be prepared to pull the trigger because at that point you are making threats.

tigrr
06-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Problem is different companies use different channels. So a scanner that could monitor all channels would be better.
A loaded tractor/trailer unit has right of way in my books. The next one along will pull you out of the ditch.

northof49
06-06-2018, 09:41 AM
^^^this is not correct. The Resource Road (RR) channels in BC were standardized a few years ago. Get a 2-way radio and have the standard RR channels installed by any communications shop and know the correct call procedures for the roads you are using. Your safety and others lives depends on it. Do not be part of the problem. If you are using the resource roads you have a responsibility to call your miles as well.

Bunner
06-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Go get your self a vhf radio with the bc road channels programmed. When your on a FSR road there will be a sign at the start with the RR channel. So no need to scan.

Bunner
06-06-2018, 09:43 AM
And make sure you call your kms. Nothing worse then comming up on a rig on a blind corner hauling as*4
Even up and odd down. Call you km when leaving the road

twoSevenO
06-06-2018, 10:05 AM
VHF radio off amazon ... $50 for Chinese Baofeng handhelds. Have used a set since 2010. No problems.

No need to spend big bucks on overpriced brand name stuff .... the Chinese do a very good job of copying those things now days.

Same with LED bars. I'd never pay $500 for a Rigid light bar when I can get a Chinese equivalent on Ebay for $80.

Some things you want quality and dependability... like a generator or a winch. But for lights and radios the Chinese stuff works just fine.

Arctic Lake
06-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Some good information here from members ! Two years ago we used a two way radio while travelling an active logging road , the haul road was Named and had the Channel marked on the sign as you headed in . For some reason we had a problem finding the channel. So we stopped a logging truck and asked him for help to get the right channel . He tuned the radio in and said " We really appreciate you hunters using the radios !
Arctic Lake

russm86
06-06-2018, 12:48 PM
As mentioned all forestry roads now use standardized RR channels. A few companies may still use their own private channels on the actual landing/loading site/cut block, but trucks hauling in or out MUST use the RR channels as per CVSE and work safe standards. I've used the cheap baofeng for years and get great distance out of them for a handheld and you can punch in all your own frequencies so just google the RR frequencies the ministry has specified and program them into your radio. I don't necessarily call all the time but definitely listen and will call where there are signs saying "must call" or if the road is really busy.

Black Lab
06-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Appreciate all the advice. I live in Chilliwack and haven't found anyone that sells or knows anything about them. Tried "The Source" Best Buy and Cascade Supply that caters to a lot of loggers. I'll keep looking, must be someone around local. What is the practical difference between Vhf and Uhf radio's

ncurrie
06-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Appreciate all the advice. I live in Chilliwack and haven't found anyone that sells or knows anything about them. Tried "The Source" Best Buy and Cascade Supply that caters to a lot of loggers. I'll keep looking, must be someone around local. What is the practical difference between Vhf and Uhf radio's

You actually have to go to a telecom radio supplier, we have a couple in vernon and I believe they ship. You can also pay them to program the 2 way for you. Then once you get to the fsr you just find the channel. A lot of log trucks have two radios one for calling km and communication between landing and other trucks and then one for bullsh$&#ing with others without overtaking the fsr channel so called kms aren’t being missed.

twoSevenO
06-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Just order from amazon. Free shipping and you dont even have to leave the house let alone spend gas money driving around to every store asking if they have them.

Dash
06-06-2018, 01:57 PM
You can order them from Canada Ammo. They also sell a lot of the handy accessories for them as well. I've been very happy with my purchase.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/baofeng-uv5r-two-way-radio/

Mik
06-06-2018, 03:02 PM
well said! and X2 on the Baofeng Radios.

As mentioned all forestry roads now use standardized RR channels. A few companies may still use their own private channels on the actual landing/loading site/cut block, but trucks hauling in or out MUST use the RR channels as per CVSE and work safe standards. I've used the cheap baofeng for years and get great distance out of them for a handheld and you can punch in all your own frequencies so just google the RR frequencies the ministry has specified and program them into your radio. I don't necessarily call all the time but definitely listen and will call where there are signs saying "must call" or if the road is really busy.

dakoda62
06-06-2018, 03:33 PM
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

Frequency for the RR and LD channels

dino
06-06-2018, 03:54 PM
VHF radio off amazon ... $50 for Chinese Baofeng handhelds. Have used a set since 2010. No problems.

No need to spend big bucks on overpriced brand name stuff .... the Chinese do a very good job of copying those things now days.

Same with LED bars. I'd never pay $500 for a Rigid light bar when I can get a Chinese equivalent on Ebay for $80.

Some things you want quality and dependability... like a generator or a winch. But for lights and radios the Chinese stuff works just fine.

After seeing your radios i bought four of them. They work great, hit local repeaters if you need them also. I got the 8 watt with the better antennas.

S.W.A.T.
06-06-2018, 03:59 PM

There are loggers in chilliwack. I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction

gmachine19
06-06-2018, 04:02 PM
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

Frequency for the RR and LD channels

Get those cheap baofeng radios and program the above link. works like a charm. Sure they have limited range but trucks are suppose to call every odd/even km. You'll have plenty of notice that they are coming.

The RR channel should be posted at the beginning of the logging road.

Arctic Lake
06-06-2018, 07:51 PM
So in my above post I mentioned we used one two years ago, we rented it ! It was a bit cumbersome in a compact pickup with two fellas and the radio taking up room. Plus the antenna wire wrapped around things.

So I have a question. Are the handled units not as powerful ? What would be a fairly powerful handheld model then ? A link would be awesome
Thanks
Arctic Lake

walks with deer
06-06-2018, 08:40 PM
these men are working we must respect that...
that said i have never run a radio but get out of the way tell they pin me.but if they are super busy i get off there road.

walks with deer
06-06-2018, 08:42 PM
if you pointed a gun at me of my coworker we would pdobably check whos premiums are lowest and you would get hit by a truck....just saying.

Downwindtracker2
06-06-2018, 10:17 PM
Point out that I have never had the slightest problem with logging trucks, they are careful and courteous, but when someone is trying to run you down, I do mean trying to run you down. A rig move, first truck we got out of the way, very soon there was a second one who came at us . Then quickly the third, who was definitely trying to run us down. We got out of there when we could. You have a better idea than self defense? Of course we didn't point a rifle, we should have, though.. I applaud you pacifists, I'm sure the angels will too when you talk to St .Peter..... Yeah ,get a radio, certainly if you're around oil patch 'bertans. FKG 'bertans.

It was interesting being still in BC on the eastern slope of the Rockies.BTW

S.W.A.T.
06-07-2018, 06:37 AM
So all oil patch workers are "FKG Bertans"?

Would like to know what the definition of "definitely trying" to run you down is. Couldn't have been on a corner where the driver needed to stay wide or need to set up for the corner coming.

But it's probably the Bertans fault you were traveling the wrong direction with out a radio. Oh and not only at the start of the resource road where it says all traffic must call in said frequency there would have been another sign that said rig move in progress use caution. But hey was probably their fault as they didn't know YOU were on the road. I guess it's better to endanger people's lives so you have a point to prove

russm86
06-07-2018, 07:21 AM
You actually have to go to a telecom radio supplier, we have a couple in vernon and I believe they ship. You can also pay them to program the 2 way for you. Then once you get to the fsr you just find the channel. A lot of log trucks have two radios one for calling km and communication between landing and other trucks and then one for bullsh$&#ing with others without overtaking the fsr channel so called kms aren’t being missed.

CVSE and work safe are having fits about the 2 radio thing now... will fine people for it now... apparently too many guys were accidentally calling on the wrong radio so traffic couldn't hear them... have family in the logging/hauling industry and they have all said the same...

Island Idiots
06-07-2018, 07:46 AM
If I am travelling on a busy logging road I just follow a rig up the road. Stop when they do, go when they do. I have respect for those trying to make a living on those roads. Their lives are at risk all the time. Recently I came upon a rig coming down, I was going up. There was no room for both, so I backed down the hill to get out of his way. At the bottom he stopped and apologised for having to make me back up down the hill.
I said hey your just trying to make a living. Don't apologize, just be safe and go home to your family. Nothing I am doing is so important that I cant accommodate a guy driving on those roads.

Downwindtracker2
06-07-2018, 09:18 AM
On standard sized logging road when three out of three come at, instead of moving even a touch over, that for you math whizzes is 100% . If three out three were FKG 'Bertans . Betting odds would put them all.

This was on a BC forestry road, not an oil patch road. Years back when we went over the radio controlled right of way debate, someone pointed out by posting the section of the Forestry Act, we are under the Forestry Act not the Vehicle Act, that there is no reference to it, rather highway rules.

Thirty years ago we lived in mobile home park in Chetwynd , there were a few logging truck drivers there as well. There would be a $75,000 truck (30 years ago) parked beside a $10,000 mobile home. New homes were $25,000 then. 18 hour days and just scratching to make a living.

okas
06-07-2018, 09:44 AM
driver mentality has changed over the years and most are racing with them self fuel and brake and in there own small brain they have the absolute right of way . I have drove lowbed and hauled logs all over BC . I find out there it is bad and good something like dumb and dumber these days.

MichelD
06-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Are there any other reviews of the Chinese Baofeng handhelds?

I'd much rather do that than have to piss around mounting a radio I have to take out at home, install an antenna etc.

Arctic Lake
06-07-2018, 11:05 AM
So in my above post I mentioned we used one two years ago, we rented it ! It was a bit cumbersome in a compact pickup with two fellas and the radio taking up room. Plus the antenna wire wrapped around things.

So I have a question. Are the handled units not as powerful ? What would be a fairly powerful handheld model then ? A link would be awesome
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Just want to put this up again for you fellas that have the handheld units and knowledge of them
Thanks
Arctic Lake

westcoaster
06-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Most resource roads are "radio assist" and use of mobile radios for communicating location and direction is not mandatory. Always drive safely according to road and weather conditions and if using a mobile radio, do not solely rely on mobile radio communications recognizing that not everyone has or is using a mobile radio.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications
(https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications)

I can't find a list of roads where a radio is a requirement....
My only point here, one is permitted on a majority of resource roads in BC without a radio. I would expect roads to be posted where a radio is a requirement. I would also expect that requirement to change based on time of year (winter travel)

That said, there are plenty of benefits to knowing where and when heavy truck traffic will turn up....

westcoaster
06-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Just want to put this up again for you fellas that have the handheld units and knowledge of them
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Hand held radios are typically 5 watts with a 6" antenna

Hand held to hand held would provide a range of 1-1.5km based on terrain.

Mobile radios are 30-50 watts. Hand held to mobile provide much greater range ~20Km. Keep in mind, if you are sitting in a cab on a hand held, surrounded by metal, mountains in the way, the range may be far less, but sufficient to not have a logging truck surprise you.

Mobile to mobile would have even better range ~36km

The biggest limiting factor in all radio communication is the antenna setup. Having a hole drilled in the center of the roof of the cab provides the best antenna arrangement in a vehicle. Most people, including me, compromise and stick it on the fender. That does come with a send and receive penalty when it comes to range.

S.W.A.T.
06-07-2018, 12:21 PM
You can have them not hard wired in. Magnetic antenna and power plugs into cigarette lighter. Easy install easy removed.

plumberjustin
06-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Get a pair of beofeng UV-5R off amazon for under $100, download the Chirp program onto your computer and program the radio yourself. Took me like 25mins to input all the RR, LD and LADD channels. Anything else you see out in the backcountry can be programmed on the fly.

Black Lab
06-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Hand held radios are typically 5 watts with a 6" antenna

Hand held to hand held would provide a range of 1-1.5km based on terrain.

Mobile radios are 30-50 watts. Hand held to mobile provide much greater range ~20Km. Keep in mind, if you are sitting in a cab on a hand held, surrounded by metal, mountains in the way, the range may be far less, but sufficient to not have a logging truck surprise you.

Mobile to mobile would have even better range ~36km

The biggest limiting factor in all radio communication is the antenna setup. Having a hole drilled in the center of the roof of the cab provides the best antenna arrangement in a vehicle. Most people, including me, compromise and stick it on the fender. That does come with a send and receive penalty when it comes to range. I would assume all logging trucks would have mobile units installed ?

westcoaster
06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
I would assume all logging trucks would have mobile units installed ?

That's probably a good assumption....

However, with the increasing popularity of the cheap chinese hand helds, it's anyone's guess....

ACE
06-07-2018, 05:43 PM
There are loggers in Chilliwack. I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction

We used Motorola mobile 2-ways in all our logging equipment. Long lasting and tough. Somewhat expensive.
Call your km's - checkpoints, mt/loaded - up/down, stay off the travel channels with your chit-chat, and remember that industrial vehicles have the right of way mt or loaded.
Safe travels ..... you'll get home ok, as will that fella out there trying to work among the 'tourists' .....

Muledeercrazy2
06-07-2018, 09:35 PM
The Motorola radios are typically sold to industry and programmed for licensed frequencies, really expensive compared to a vhf radio that you program yourself. There is some issue of legality with radios opened up for licensed industrial frequencies, or there always was.

My understanding is commercial vehicles "must call" on resource roads, but have a responsibility for public safety. They should be given the right of way but do not have it unless marked by road signs.They would be liable if their speed pushed you off the road, if you could prove it.

It is just common sense to try to be cautious and call in your kms , I do when I can.

Non commercial vehicles do not have a requireent to call in, as much as it makes sense.

ACE
06-07-2018, 09:56 PM
What brands of vhf radio are reliable and good ?
I've only had industrial Motorola.
Looking for a mobile 2-way for my pick-up.

mike31154
06-07-2018, 11:26 PM
I picked up an 8 channel Kenwood handheld years ago & maintain a license, about
$45 a year. Can only be programmed by shop or if you have cable & software for PC. That gets old quick so I now also have 2 Bafengs. Quality not same as Kwood but having 100+ channels is nice.

mike31154
06-07-2018, 11:37 PM
The Baofengs can also be programmed with the unlicensed family channels but should be on lower power setting than for vhf.

S.W.A.T.
06-08-2018, 07:07 AM
We used Motorola mobile 2-ways in all our logging equipment. Long lasting and tough. Somewhat expensive.
Call your km's - checkpoints, mt/loaded - up/down, stay off the travel channels with your chit-chat, and remember that industrial vehicles have the right of way mt or loaded.
Safe travels ..... you'll get home ok, as will that fella out there trying to work among the 'tourists' .....

Have 3 Kenwood's. Not brand loyalty but when I bought my first one it was a good deal and just seemed logical to stay the course when I needed to add more radio's.

Bugle M In
06-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Baofeng seem to be popular.
Chinese made, but, cheap, and give you the channels you are looking for.
Some have high watts (legalities behind that as well from what I understand)
So, use at your own risk, but they do work.

gmachine19
06-08-2018, 09:45 AM
If you do end up getting a baofeng, UPGRADE the antenna. It will boost its range greatly.

I use:
Baofeng gt-5tp - 8watts
Baofeng uv-5r - 5 watts <--- you can get this in 8watts now I believe

DWEL
06-08-2018, 10:11 AM

I bought mine from here: https://www.fleetwooddp.com/
super nice guy to deal with
D

J_T
06-08-2018, 10:30 AM
What brands of vhf radio are reliable and good ?
I've only had industrial Motorola.
Looking for a mobile 2-way for my pick-up.
I've recently installed a Tad Radio in my bush truck. I saw them online for $450 used.

As others have said, if you are on a busy road and don't have a radio, wait at a wide spot and follow someone in.

pgpapa
06-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I have tad m10s in my truck and jeep with all the RR channels and most every thing use in BC, they have three banks of 99 channels.82.00 dollars a year for licence for both radios. I also have three baofengs uv5ra+ radios with the RR channels and a bunch of others. use the hand held on the 4 wheeler and on foot etc . I put better antennas on them and that help. Larry

westcoaster
06-08-2018, 01:39 PM

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/ele/d/icom-and-kenwood-vhf-radios/6555075732.html

Got a choice of manufacturers...
Even programmed with what you need...

Not mine, not affiliated....

Muledeercrazy2
06-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Look at icom radios on radioworld

Not sure about the new ones, be sure to find out how a standard vhf/2m mobile can be opened up for use on all frquencies. This isn' legal, but I would be more interested in safety personaly

mountain_hunter
06-12-2018, 11:10 PM
The Baofeng are great. Yes they are Chinese (isn't most of our stuff from China anyway), but well designed, well rated. Even the amateur radio crowd love them. At $30 on Amazon everyone who goes on logging roads should own and use one. Here is my information from when I was looking to buy a two way radio capable of communicating at the RR logging roads frequencies (150.08-151.67 MHz). Note that standard two way radios do not communicate at these "commercial" frequencies.

This is actually written for BC. It gives the background of the new RR radio standard, why the baofeng is great, an how to program it.
http://www.westcoastplacer.com/program-your-radio-for-bcs-backroads/
http://www.westcoastplacer.com/gear-review-baofeng-handheld-radio/

Strongly recommend buying a 40 cm SMA antenna. The antenna that come with any two way radio are too small to receive and transmit over great distance. My experiance was that the standard antenna only covered the distance between two calls as I traveled up and another vehicle traveled down.

You don't need the cable to program the ratio with the RR frequencies. Using the instruction manual I was able to program the 35 RR + 5 channels in about one hour.

bushape
06-13-2018, 04:01 PM
ICOM fm transceiver. Have had it for years. Exc range

sumonda
06-13-2018, 04:39 PM
I use cheap baofeng UV-5R two way.. confirm the channel when you enter an FSR and call your location. simple, safe and REQUIRED.