PDA

View Full Version : Best boots for $ 300-400, recommendations please!

HarryToolips
05-27-2018, 07:09 AM
So, since being in the military a long time ago, ive always been a fan of army boots, due to their good ankle support, and toughness that imo, can't be beat for the price..however, the last while I've been thinking I want something with a lot more comfort...well yesterday after about a 16 k hike with about 30 lbs of gear and rifle, my feet are, and were by the last half of the hike, killing me...so for $300-400, let's hear everyone's recommendations of a hiking/hunting boot that's tough, supportive AND comfortable, please and thank you! Oh and where did you purchase them??

S.W.A.T.
05-27-2018, 07:41 AM
There are many threads regarding this.

Not that you can't get a great boot for $400 but if possible to spend $500 it will open your choices greatly.

RackStar
05-27-2018, 07:59 AM
Check out scarpa Kenisis pros. Atmosphere is where I got mine.
I had meindl boots but these ones are much better IMO.

dana
05-27-2018, 08:01 AM
I have beat many a boot into oblivion. I have owed many a brand. The one I keep coming back to is Lowa.

Salix
05-27-2018, 08:05 AM
The Scarpa Kenisis Pro have been good for me. Lowa also has some good boots in that price range.
My advice is to try multiple boots and brands on and get the ones that feel best for your feet.

ajr5406
05-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag, Kennetrek.... All seem to be awesome boots. Guess it’s finding the boot that fits your feet the best. I agree with SWAT though, pretty much all of these are in the $450+ range so a bit more than your budget.

I got the Meindl Alaskan Hunters with 200g thinsulate, and love them!

RackStar
05-27-2018, 08:15 AM
I have beat many a boot into oblivion. I have owed many a brand. The one I keep coming back to is Lowa.

Do you use the gtx or leather lined lowa?

longwalk
05-27-2018, 08:23 AM
As a hiking/ backpacking boot I have always found Asolo or Scarpa boots to be comfortable and durable, both would fit into your budget.

blackbart
05-27-2018, 08:34 AM
I am on my fourth pair of Meindl over the last 12 years or so and they will likely be my last. The quality has gone down substantially over the last ten or twelve years.

I kept my clapt out ones as spares and you can see the steady downslide in craftsmanship.

LorneM
05-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Scarpa Wrangell gtx !

Rackmastr
05-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Lowas.....easy choice for me.

HarryToolips
05-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Excellent, thanks for the replies folks..

NChunter
05-27-2018, 10:51 AM
I have two pairs of scarpa sl activ pretty sure it is the exact same as the kinesis pro minus the gtx liner. I got them at MEC (yeah I know some people are not shopping there anymore but this was before all that drama) this January for just over $400 with taxes, I have been wearing them a lot and just about have them broken in now. Really happy with them so far. Picked up a used pair for $20 about a month ago they where dirty and the leather was kinda dry and a little scuffed. Washed them and waxed them with viberg leather preservative and they cleaned up nicely probably 75% life left.

howa1500
05-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Hang alaskan gtx.. They fit me fantastic, great support, amazing soles

dana
05-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Do you use the gtx or leather lined lowa?

My current Lowa is the Valbona II GTX. I picked them up before Christmas from Atmosphere at about $400 IIRC. Had a pair of LaSporteva before that that just killed my toes. They fell apart rather quickly too. My feet are happy in these new Lowas. Time will tell if they last as long as the previous Lowas I’ve had. I normally get 2 years of constant daily abuse out of them. Forestry field work is not easy on a pair of boots. Especially in the Wetbelt.

Weatherby Fan
05-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Boots are a personal thing whats best for me may not fit you so thats why its so important try them on and walk around the/a store for as long as you can,

Ive owned all kinds of boots and so far the best ones for me are Helly Hansen Odin Hikers, lightweight, stiff, durable, waterproof and warm, I wore them hunting for the last 3 years and are standing up nicely, I wore them sheep hunting last year for 12 days in the shale and shit and were nothing short of awesome, soon as I got home I ordered another set.

I know they pretty FLASH but who cares if they work !

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/helly-hansen-odin-flow-hiker-ht_zpszjl6m4gr.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/helly-hansen-odin-flow-hiker-ht_zpszjl6m4gr.jpg.html)

whitlers
05-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Hanwag Alaska GTX for me but for any good company mentioned above it comes down to what fits you best

butthead
05-27-2018, 07:29 PM
desert storm army surplus brand new
about 50 us.
go for ever in them

Stone Sheep Steve
05-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Go see Larry at Fisher's Hardware in Vernon. Worth the drive.
Last time I was there he had Lowa's, Hanwags and Meindl's

two-feet
05-27-2018, 08:01 PM
I have had them all, never had a pair last more than 2 years, buy the ones that fit the best in store

HarryToolips
05-27-2018, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the reviews guys, helps a guy a lot..

Ohwildwon
05-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Here are some more options...

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/shop/category/9789376/hunting/

HarryToolips
05-28-2018, 09:15 PM
^^^^after research and trying on different pairs, went with the Zamberlan 960 Guide, thanks Ohwildwon!

Frank grimes
05-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Did you get gortex? I have gortex lined boots and my feet always get soaked with sweat if I have to hike any distance, which is often. I’ve always wanted to try some leather lined uninsulated boots, but I don’t think they wold work in November

Ohwildwon
05-28-2018, 09:30 PM
^^^^after research and trying on different pairs, went with the Zamberlan 960 Guide, thanks Ohwildwon!

Good grab!

Can't go to wrong, made in Italy..:smile:

HarryToolips
05-28-2018, 09:40 PM
Good grab!

Can't go to wrong, made in Italy..:smile:
Ya they seem well made, time will tell...

HarryToolips
05-28-2018, 09:41 PM
Did you get gortex? I have gortex lined boots and my feet always get soaked with sweat if I have to hike any distance, which is often. I’ve always wanted to try some leather lined uninsulated boots, but I don’t think they wold work in November
Really, all I hear is good things about goretex normally..

Frank grimes
05-28-2018, 09:54 PM
I think I just have abnormally sweaty feet. The eczema doesn’t help either. Maybe I just need some hunting flip flops

HarryToolips
05-28-2018, 10:06 PM
^^^lol my brother suffers from the same thing, there's gotta be a good solution for people like you guys..

Ohwildwon
05-28-2018, 10:15 PM
Ya they seem well made, time will tell...

I have a pair of "one piece" upper leather mountaineering Zampy's that are turning 20 years old..

Seen a decent amount of use, and are in excellent condition!

I run Scarpe SL Activ's for most of my late year hunting, because of the one piece upper...

Heat them up in the oven, 170'. Rub mink oil paste in. Repeat.

I've done Cape Scott in October, 4 days through swamp, constant drizzle...

The leather finally gave in to the moisture, on the 20 km hike out...

Every one else's boot failed first day...

Stitched in tongue compared to one piece leather was the difference, for the most part....

Perhaps try using a "seam Seal" on your stitching before you add any leather treatment..

S.W.A.T.
05-29-2018, 07:45 AM
^^^lol my brother suffers from the same thing, there's gotta be a good solution for people like you guys..

Baby powder

Ltbullken
05-29-2018, 08:24 AM
Within that price range, I'd look at Scarpa and Soloman brands. I have the Solomon GTX boots (it's very comfortable but won't get much more than a couple years from hard mountain hiking IMHO) and the Scarpa R-Evolution which seems like a pretty good boot.

HarryToolips
05-29-2018, 05:30 PM
I have a pair of "one piece" upper leather mountaineering Zampy's that are turning 20 years old..

Seen a decent amount of use, and are in excellent condition!

I run Scarpe SL Activ's for most of my late year hunting, because of the one piece upper...

Heat them up in the oven, 170'. Rub mink oil paste in. Repeat.

I've done Cape Scott in October, 4 days through swamp, constant drizzle...

The leather finally gave in to the moisture, on the 20 km hike out...

Every one else's boot failed first day...

Stitched in tongue compared to one piece leather was the difference, for the most part....

Perhaps try using a "seam Seal" on your stitching before you add any leather treatment..
Good to know, thanks...

RackStar
05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
I almost went with the SL active but chickened outt and went with the GTX version.
I might try a full leather next time... sounds like they work some guys swear by em.