PDA

View Full Version : New hunting regulations - Has anyone eaten a Eurasian Collared-Dove?

Britta
05-23-2018, 05:08 PM
In light of the proposed new hunting regulations for an open season on Eurasian Collared-Doves in Regions 3, 4, and 8, has anyone eaten one of these birds? Is anyone planning to hunt and eat them? I am writing an article for a regional BC magazine on these invasive birds and am looking for comments and thoughts from hunters.

VLD43
05-23-2018, 08:02 PM
First I have heard of this. Is the federal government in favor of this, as it's their call. These birds are federally regulated and you will require a migratory hunting license.

Gateholio
05-23-2018, 09:58 PM
I hope they include Reg 2 as well, there are quite a few of them, and damn right i would hunt and eat them. They are tasty and as an invasive species a year round season on them would be good.

wrenchhead
05-23-2018, 10:11 PM
I have eaten lots of mourning doves and they are excellent table fare. Can't imagine the collared dove would be different, they are almost identical.(little bigger and have the collar.) I think it would be difficult to tell the two apart on a wing shot.

Steeleco
05-24-2018, 03:49 AM
There are not just a few pairs of them in Langley. Can I shoot them in my cul-d-sac LOL

303savage
05-24-2018, 06:28 AM
These birds are federally regulated and you will require a migratory hunting license.

Collared Dove are an invasive specie and should be in the same class as starlings.

Britta
05-24-2018, 06:33 AM
This is a federal initiative. The open hunting season will be allowed in zones where there is already an open season for Mourning Doves. Apparently the province of BC has been asking for options to manage Eurasian Collared-Doves for some time.
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/migratory-game-bird-hunting/consultation-process-regulations/report-series/proposals-amend-document-2017.html#toc15

jlirot
05-24-2018, 07:19 AM
Hunting doves in CA I've shot and eaten them. Can't tell the difference from normal mourning doves.

VLD43
05-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately don't think they will go Sched "C" - "The invasive ECDO is identified in the list of birds protected in Canada under the MBCA, which precludes its listing in BC’s Schedule C and the use of control measures aimed at invasive species. The MBCA allows for the setting of hunting seasons, which is the only management tool currently available to help manage ECDOs. Eurasian Collared-Doves are fairly similar to Mourning Doves and the two species can easily be confused. Under the current regulations, Mourning Doves can be harvested but ECDOs cannot. Anyone harvesting an ECDO during a Mourning Dove season is committing an offence under the Migratory Birds Regulations and that person is subject to charges.

russm86
05-24-2018, 07:53 AM
Those things are a noisy and annoying invasive species (flying rats) not even native to the American continents what so ever. They are extremely loud and make completely unnatural bird noises for BC that are beyond annoying and wake everyone up at daybreak every damn morning. They have like 6 litters a year and if we don't get a handle on them soon then they will become a plague like they are in places such as Argentina where they shoot thousands a day and don't even put a dent in the population which is wiping out crops etc. They should be exterminated. If I didn't live in city limits I'd be shooting every single one I saw.

VLD43
05-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Those things are a noisy and annoying invasive species (flying rats) not even native to the American continents what so ever. They are extremely loud and make completely unnatural bird noises for BC that are beyond annoying and wake everyone up at daybreak every damn morning. They have like 6 litters a year and if we don't get a handle on them soon then they will become a plague like they are in places such as Argentina where they shoot thousands a day and don't even put a dent in the population which is wiping out crops etc. They should be exterminated. If I didn't live in city limits I'd be shooting every single one I saw.

Agreed, but until the "FEDS" get it together, we are sewered. I talked with a regional BIO about 6 years ago, who told me he was lobbying the "FEDS" to do something about them, back then. He hadn't got a response back at that time. The "FEDS" have dragged their feet on this way to long. There should be an open season on these year round.

bigbuzz
05-24-2018, 08:07 AM
I live near Campbell River and have seen a few pairs of these birds this year. Did not realize they were pests. Another bird we have been seeing more and more of are Yellow bellied sapsuckers, they are pecking our apple trees up very badly, PESTS!

Flyfisherbc
10-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Hi guys in regards of the invasive Eurasian collard Doves . I live in north east BC just out side of FT ST John and 3 years ago was the first time i saw them ,not having a real close look at them I thought they were morning doves but they are not in this regin and no season for morning doves or band tailed pigons. Looking at pictures on line of the two different spicies they are not Morning Doves I was seeing but the Eurasian Collard Doves that are up here . Three years ago was the first time I saw the first breeding pair,this year there was at least 20 breeding pairs just out side of town where I live this summer and how many more are in the surrounding area with all of the grain fields in the area. I have not seen any of them for the last month so i'm guessing they have migrated south for the winter..

Brez
10-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Hi guys in regards of the invasive Eurasian collard Doves . I live in north east BC just out side of FT ST John and 3 years ago was the first time i saw them ,not having a real close look at them I thought they were morning doves but they are not in this regin and no season for morning doves or band tailed pigons. Looking at pictures on line of the two different spicies they are not Morning Doves I was seeing but the Eurasian Collard Doves that are up here . Three years ago was the first time I saw the first breeding pair,this year there was at least 20 breeding pairs just out side of town where I live this summer and how many more are in the surrounding area with all of the grain fields in the area. I have not seen any of them for the last month so i'm guessing they have migrated south for the winter..
That is the same timeline that they showed up here in Trail.

mooze
10-17-2018, 10:56 PM
I have seen the first in the west chilcotin 2 years ago, this summer they showed up in small swarms. Just 5 km from the birdwatching station.....

barry1974w
12-20-2018, 11:33 PM
I’ve seen a few at moms bird feeder outside of Prince George. And one of my buddies in kitimat hates them cause they wake him every morning at dawn.

emerson
08-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Until this spring I had never heard them here in PG. Now they are a constant annoyance.

303savage
08-02-2019, 05:35 PM
I thought Eursian Collared doves were in the same class as starlings. An invasive species.

emerson
08-03-2019, 12:48 PM
From what I googled quickly they seem to be Federally regulated.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-04-2019, 05:54 PM
I'm hoping to enjoy our new future seasons here in BC. Interested in trying them out as table fair, for sure!

scott h
08-09-2019, 04:50 PM
One time I shot a hungarian partridge and then a regular pigeon feeding at a granary. I took them both home and skinned and cooked them. They were very similar and would not hesitate to eat one again. I would assume that a collared dove would be a very similar bird and would definitely eat one.