PDA

View Full Version : scopebite

deerslayer
08-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I took a new hunter (13 years old) out for target practise yesterday. I went over the safety rules numerous times and wouldn't let him handle a loaded firearm untill he could recite/demonstrate them to me. We started out shooting my scoped 17hmr. I have been shooting hares every couple of days for the last month or so with the hmr. Later I tried to sight in my 7mm rem mag with a 175 grn cartridge. I now have four stitches above my brow and a ton of embassasment. I had 3 nurses back at the house tell me to get stitches. My scope was a 3200 buschnell elite with a rubber ocular covering. I can imagine what a metal ring would have done (bone damage???). Question: I think that shooting the 17 for the last month made me lazy, keeping my face tight to the scope. It's the best excuse I got. Can anyone else fess up to a similar problem or am I just a dumass who needs to think a little more before I pull the trigger?

todbartell
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
its happend to most everybody who has shot centerfire rifles. I got hammered with a 416 rem and a sharp ocular Leupold a few years back, that left a mark for a few months :)

deerslayer
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Todd, it makes the embarrasment a little earier (not much). I was telling the guys at work that because I put a softer recoil pad on the rifle that it moved back further upon the recoil. I don't think they buy it (neither do I but I'm grasping at straws). Lesson learned. Not happening again.

30-06
08-27-2007, 10:33 PM
when i first got my 308 i had been shooting a 22 and a 20 ga . so i wasn't use to having recoil. well out target shooting. it to the best of my on my very first shot with it . i have the rubber lens thing on mine, and being a 308 it just made the area around my eye a bit red. and my cheeks from embarrassment

brotherjack
08-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Real easy to do. I've never done it that bad, but I've had a scope come back and adjust my glasses a time or two before I started making efforts to avoid that. Now, I both practice a shooting position that requires me to 'lean in' to the rifle (ie, stretch my head forward), and I mount my scopes as far forward as I can and still see through them in the position I fall into naturally when I shoulder the rifle with the 'head forward' hold. Setup like that, it makes it really hard for me to get far enough into the scope that I would get kissed by it. Also helps, that I've never owned a rifle bigger than .308 Winchester.

But really man, nothing to be embarrassed about. It's real easy to do.

Gateholio
08-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Never happened to me, but then again, I'm not a phucktard. :)

Seen it happen a few times, though...:)

alremkin
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Remember to "spot weld" your cheekbone to your stock so your head will move back at the same rate of speed as your rifle upon recoil.

Mark_S
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Been hit in the forehead by a 300 rum with a bushnell 3200 a few times. Hurts like.....well like someone just punched you in the forehead but its never cut me so far.

yeah it happens to everyone. One day I'll end up bleeding from it.

Brambles
08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I've been lucky, haven't needed any stitches or any thing close to stitches. I've been tickled by my 300 Rum Sendero with a 2.5-10 4200 but nothing too serious.

4 stitches is a real good bite, you'll have to post some pictures so we can all share in your embarrasment...

fozzy
08-28-2007, 01:06 AM
I was shooting a friends 7mag uphill from the prone position one day and got bit. Even before I squeezed it off I was thinking I wasn't very comfortable and holding the thing wrong but did it anyway :) just a wee cut but it did bleed for a while.

overthetop
08-28-2007, 01:15 AM
I shoot a RUM and a WSM and I cut my eyebrow....damn good too with a buddies 30.06

Marc
08-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Yup, had it hapen one spring using a 300 win mag on the biggest bear I ever saw. I was shaking so bad so I losened up on my grip thinking it would lessen the movement. Well it helped with the shaking but it sure didn't help my eye brow. Bled like a stuck pig for a good 5 minutes. The scope I was using only had a metal eye guard. Changed it out to a Leopold after that with a little more eye relief.

Nimrod
08-28-2007, 05:17 AM
I'm a Butcher, in the hunting season taking in game meat off the back of trucks and taking license numbers from hunters I would see this quit often at least 4 times a year. when I'd look up at their brow and grin they all looked embarrassed some times their buddies would have a good laugh.

one day it happened to me , 300win mag that bucked hard , after running up a hill I was barely holding the gun , was a long shot 300y prone in a acquard position ....ouch.

Walksalot
08-28-2007, 05:23 AM
When my son was small he wanted to shoot my 30-06 so I got everything ready. I was checking things over and noticed he had the stock in his arm pit and not against his shoulder as the stock was to long for him. It could have been a mess. A properly fitted rifle/scope combination makes for a much more enjoyable time at the range.
Having said that, been there, done that.

Fisher-Dude
08-28-2007, 07:55 AM
None of my magnums have ever hit me, but I was helping a buddy sight in his 30/06, and the synthetic stock had some oil on it from a quick wipe-down he'd done on it. I was lucky, it just ticked my glasses...8)

I have a couple of buddies who both had goat draws...buddy #1 empties his 300 Weatherby into the goat, and it's teetering, ready to fall off a cliff, so buddy #2 lies down prone to finish it off for him with his 300WM...buddy #2 shoots, the goat tumbles, and he says "I got it in the head!"...buddy #1 says "You arsehole, you wrecked the mount!"...buddy #2 says "No, I got it in the head, from my scope!"

He still has a scar...

Leaseman
08-28-2007, 08:03 AM
I have never "married" any scope....but I have a good buddy who does it at least once every year!! I usually rib him at the start of every season on how long it will be before he "connects" again...:razz:

Buchaneer
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I have done it a couple of times. Once, in the excitement of shooting a moose, I ripped the skin down the side of my nose. (If you saw my nose you would undestand why this would be so easy:)) Didn't realize I had done any damage until I came back to camp and my face was so full of blood marks that the gang thought I had wrestled the moose to its death! More embarassment than pain!

RiverOtter
08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I've had my eyebrow hair make contact a couple of times, but never anything serious, only a reminder. That said, my bidpod has bit my left index finger a few times from, but only on the bench. I take extra time when I mount a scope to allow for maximum eye-scope clearance.

RO

Lorne1
08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I have had my hat and glasses knocked off a few times.I have been lucky no cuts yet

whalebone
08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Yup, got my scar. I didn't know I was a bleeder till that day. I'm pretty sure that it was a one time thing though.

Caveman
08-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks Todd, it makes the embarrasment a little earier (not much). I was telling the guys at work that because I put a softer recoil pad on the rifle that it moved back further upon the recoil. I don't think they buy it (neither do I but I'm grasping at straws). Lesson learned. Not happening again.

We all strive to be grouped with Tod Bartell!!!!!! :shock:

ROEBUCK
08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
were all human right ,momentry lapse of consentration, easy done

youngbuck
08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Yes, I've been kissed by the scope 1 or 2 times, no blood, but one splitting headache. Usually happens after some time away from shooting or when you've tried someone elses gun. Then again my first range shot after a lay-off is usually a 'get used to the recoil' shot and therefore I'm not trying too hard to aim. Subconscious fear I guess

bochunk2000
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I was young and had been shooting my .22 a lot my Dad said I could try his .303 if I wanted but he would have to "show me how to hold it" I of course knew everthing there was to know being the seasoned veteran that I was on the .22 so I told him I didn't want help thank you. With a little smirk he said OK fill your boots. Head wounds in the eye brow sure do bleed.:-D
Steve

Fixit
04-02-2008, 05:23 PM
im not going to admit that its happened to me....

But it could have been a 300 win mag.. might have got it in the nose:oops:

04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, it happened to me , only once though. My first goat, a 45 degree angle down, I was laying prone across a boulder, billy was looking up at me about 150 yards away on a slight angle. I had to place the bullet along side his face trying to get into the shoulder lung area. Well, I killed the billy instantly with the 300 win mag, stood up to signal my buddy standing high above me watching from along way away, as I rose the gun above my head to celebrate my success a warm trickle of red stuff flowed down the outside of my nose from my brow line....it was then I knew I had been .....SCOPE BIT !!
Oh yeah!
C/T

358mag
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
nothing like a little pain to get your attenion

mud-dog27
04-02-2008, 10:40 PM
im just not gunna say anything...if i do my luck next time im out its gunna happen.....