PDA

View Full Version : Family Bear Hunt

Rhyno
05-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Not much of a story. I have been crazy busy with work and Saturday was the first night I was able to get out for bears this year. Loaded the family and a young buck we know (excuse the pentagon, didn't want to post his pict without permission) and headed out for the evening. Parked the truck, walked about about 200m glassed a lower cut block, took a few steps and looked again. This fella was feeding at 150y. I didn't have to think to long about this one, nice looking boar, with a beautiful chocolate hide. We literally hunted 5 minutes.

Meat is destine for smokies, pepperoni and hams. I wasn't going to tan another hide, but this one is too nice to throw away.

https://i.imgur.com/pNO5WhN.jpg

New Bow Hunter
05-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Nice!! Congrats

Red_Mist
05-21-2018, 07:24 PM
your little helpers have big smiles, congrats on the bear.

jlirot
05-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Nice Bear! I want to do the same with my son.

Do you tan the hide yourself or hire someone? If so, who?

Bunner
05-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Nice looking bear. Kids must have been stoked. Congrats again,

HarryToolips
05-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Hell ya that is one nice looking bear, should be tasty, congrats, what did he weigh/measure?

Timbow
05-21-2018, 08:27 PM
Don’t you hate it when the hunts over in less than 5 minuets! Congratulations on a nice looking bear, definitely a hide to keep. Great to see all the smiles. Keep up the good work.

caddisguy
05-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Lol congrats for making it sound so easy. I think I should just start casually hunting mid May. I was just about to post up a whole 10 minute video "production" compiled from multiple trips as a how-to video... geez now I'm just going to shorten it down to 30 seconds and say go for a drive with and watch a cut with Rhyno !!! Congrats, heck of a bear there

Rhyno
05-22-2018, 05:23 AM
Lol congrats for making it sound so easy. I think I should just start casually hunting mid May. I was just about to post up a whole 10 minute video "production" compiled from multiple trips as a how-to video... geez now I'm just going to shorten it down to 30 seconds and say go for a drive with and watch a cut with Rhyno !!! Congrats, heck of a bear there

I always wait until the first week or two of May to start bear hunting. This is my last bear. :smile:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?117706-Fast-and-Furious-Bear-Hunt

Rhyno
05-22-2018, 05:29 AM
Nice Bear! I want to do the same with my son.

Do you tan the hide yourself or hire someone? If so, who?

Flint Fur Tannery in Cranbrook

Hell ya that is one nice looking bear, should be tasty, congrats, what did he weigh/measure?

5'7" nose to tail and we got just under 60lb of meat, not a giant by any means but we are happy.

Arctic Lake
05-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Hey that's a nice bear ! Maybe some future hunters in the picture as well !
Arctic Lake

Modeltwelve
05-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Well that'll help get over the disappointment of the turkey season. I know your running out of room so I'm glad to hear your getting it tanned, may never get another chocolate again. Congrats.

Blainer
05-22-2018, 07:51 AM
Fantastic share, good looking Bruin.
Quality family time, great memories being made

Wild one
05-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Congrats you are doing well on colour phase

Big black bears I can find but colour phase are always runts when I am the shooter

Rhyno
05-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Maybe some future hunters in the picture as well !
Arctic Lake

Two of them already are, the kid who was with us got his first buck last year and my daughter just got her license in Mar. The jury is still out if my son will be a hunter, but that's okay he does like to come along for the outings.

LBM
05-23-2018, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Rhyno;2009507]Flint Fur Tannery in Cranbrook
Congrats to the young hunter and you and your family on a great looking bear, and very nice group photo.
Did you use Flint tannery for your other bears and if so how did they turn out, any chance if you did if
you could post a picture of the under side of one of the bears tanned by them.
Had a friend drop off a bear to be tanned in the cranbrook area a couple years ago but he dropped it off with a
taxidermist not sure which tannery he used but the bear was pretty much butchered, shaved way to thin and sliced
with many holes. We told him to take it straight to the tannery him self next time but have not been to Flints shop
yet to see what his dry tanning is like.
Thanks

5'7" nose to tail and we got just under 60lb of meat, not a giant by any means but we are happy.

kelowna.jordan
05-23-2018, 08:30 PM
What a beautiful color bear! Congrats

nature girl
05-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Very nice. And I like how you did the picture. Took the time to display the bear nice. And the kids you can tell are having a good time.

RJHunter
05-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Very cool to experience that with the kids. congratulations!

Rhyno
05-24-2018, 06:21 AM
Congrats to the young hunter and you and your family on a great looking bear, and very nice group photo.
Did you use Flint tannery for your other bears and if so how did they turn out, any chance if you did if
you could post a picture of the under side of one of the bears tanned by them.
Had a friend drop off a bear to be tanned in the cranbrook area a couple years ago but he dropped it off with a
taxidermist not sure which tannery he used but the bear was pretty much butchered, shaved way to thin and sliced
with many holes. We told him to take it straight to the tannery him self next time but have not been to Flints shop
yet to see what his dry tanning is like.
Thanks

Hey

He did do my last bear but it lives at my buddies place so sorry I can't take a picture for you but I was happy with the results. I have had a few capes done there and been really happy with the work as well.

pg83
05-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Great job buddy! Love the smiles.

Rhyno
06-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Meat is back from the butcher, pepperoni and salami are great, can't wait to cook a ham. Hide is at the tannery, will be nice to see how it turns out,