PDA

View Full Version : Hay by the road

mrdoog
08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know why there would be heavy duty plastic bags of hay/ alfalfa/timothy, ( sorry I'm not up on my stalk feeds, all I know is it wasn't straw ):
-placed along the Orchard Lake Rd, which runs from close to Badger Lake to the Yellow Head, enters the Yellowhead north of Vinsulla, between Kamloops and Barriere
-it's about a 10 km run, someone had opened a few bags at the top, that's how I knew about the contents

daycort
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
erosion control? more then likely.

mrdoog
08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
daycort, it's not full bales, the volume per bag is equivilant to half a garbage bag.
It's evenly spaced, 50 metres between bags.

I was wondering if it was to attract the cattle to the road for round-up?

daycort
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
mrdoog,

cows usually know when it is time to come home (food supply dwindles in the bush usually at the same time every year and they start to wonder home looking for green pasture grass as it is still to early to feed hay) at least most of them so i can't see it being that. in plastic bags as well. maybe someone was picking thislte or nautious weeds?

horshur
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
sure it wasn't weed? LOL. I don't know why they would do that if it was just hay--not kidding bout the grow opp stuff--area is notorios.

longhairmtnman
08-28-2007, 07:10 AM
filtering ditchwater or erosion control.

The Hermit
08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Are there any tree stands in the neighborhood? LOL

stickbow
08-28-2007, 07:55 AM
its probably to attract the cattle so that they can be driven to the ranch

bighornbob
08-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Did you stop and look whats in each bag or just some sort of straw looking grass sticking out the ends?

Its most likely weed control. Have seen this lots of times and actually done it a few times myself.

When invasive weeds are picked, they are usually bagged this time of year as they usually have seed heads. They are bagged to prevent the seeds from spilling spreading etc etc. Heavy duty bags are used so they wont rip from the weeds being stuck inside. Bags are usually then taken to a landfill for disposal.

Volunteer groups usually do picking and leave the bags to be picked up by the garbage guys or whoever organized it. Picking is usually done along ditches as thats where the weeds usually start.

Ditch erosion is usually done with straw bales. They are usually left as bales in the ditch to slow water down and capture sediment behind them or opened up and spread on the ground to prevent ground erosion. The straw would never be palced in bags as it would be hard to transport and a waste of time.

BHB