PDA

View Full Version : Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

CanadianMulie
05-15-2018, 07:57 PM
So as the subject stated, I have lost an elk cape. I harvested a bull on a cool overcast day with on and off light drizzle. We had the bull gutted in under 45 minuets and skinned out within 4 hours, the head was to the taxidermist within 11 hours. I contacted the taxidermist today to see if he had gotten it back from the tannery. He informed me the cape had slipped and didn’t know why. He did not blame me at all. He remembered me bringing it too him to ensure the cape would be good. He also remembered telling me the cape would be fine as I’m always concerned about slippage. He said he cooled it down properly before freezing.

So none of the above really matters now. He is a reputable taxidermist located in my home province of Saskatchewan Canada. What is normal protocol? Too bad for me? He supplies a new cape? He supplies a cape of the same size? I never took any measurements, but the hanging wait at the butcher was 816lbs so a dam big elk. Or does he supply a similar cape and more?

I’m gutted the cape is nearly just as important to me as the antlers are. I would never opt for a donor cape if I didn’t have too. I’m so glad I took the head home and euro mounted it my self as I’m not even sure if I want to do a shoulder mount now.

I’m not happy about the cape slipping, but do understand that sometimes things happen. The one thing that adds to my extreme disappointment and anger is that I had contacted him a month ago via messenger asking about my cape. He saw that message but did not respond. Then I text him today and found this all out. If he would have contacted me in January or whenever he found out I probably wouldn’t be so upset.

Regards
A frustrated and disappointed Canadian Mulie

plumbcrazy
05-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Just be happy if you have your antlers! You could have lost much more than the cape! If this particular taxidermist buys a cape for $300, he will probably sell you one for $300. There’s way worse Horror stories out there! Just ask me!

Red_Mist
05-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Maybe just do a euro mount ...

b72471
05-15-2018, 08:39 PM
Sounds like bull shit to me. What you are dealing with is a business, I would follow it up, from him get the number of tannery company and check with them.
Because the cape slipped (I'm presuming that means a loss of hair in spots?), does not remove the cape from your ownership. Have it shipped back and make sure the size is correct. If there is one thing I'm skeptical about it is taxidermist.

IslandWanderer
05-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Maybe just do a euro mount ...

I agree, they look stellar too.

RyoTHC
05-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Sounds like bull shit to me. What you are dealing with is a business, I would follow it up, from him get the number of tannery company and check with them.
Because the cape slipped (I'm presuming that means a loss of hair in spots?), does not remove the cape from your ownership. Have it shipped back and make sure the size is correct. If there is one thing I'm skeptical about it is taxidermist.

Agreed. Id 100 percent be asking for the original back, slipped hair or not... Who's to say they didn't sell the cape to someone who would pay $$$$ for a cape of that size... Something doesn't seem right.

CanadianMulie
05-16-2018, 04:03 AM
Well I was sceptical also, I let him know that I also had the thought of the cape being sold or used on a different mount. He told me not to question his integrity. And to be honest I don’t think he personally sold the cape. I have no idea about the tannery though. It’s quite possible that someone there just needed one. The bull is already euro mounted clean and white. I guess I didn’t trust anyone for a few years because I have always dropped the cape with a taxidermist, and took my head home to euro for the time until the taxi was ready to mount. Then I dropped the euro rack back with him.

He said that he could get a cape from his family’s elk farm, or wait till this fall to get one. He never stated if he would do this free of charge or at my cost. I wanted to get a bit more educated on this kind of situation before I took the conversation further. I appreciate the comments guys especially the I’d like my cape back anyway ones. I think if I could see for myself I’d never have accused him of selling it.

CM

Mosin
05-16-2018, 07:32 AM
He says he get another cape for you from his family elk farm/wait for the fall to get you another one? Hmmm I hope he is not gonna take someone else's cape to replace yours...I know a meat company who did that with my buddy. He complained the meat he was picking up didn't look like the same amount he dropped off, so the butcher just casually walked I the back and grabbed some of someone else's and said "here"

Longbranch
05-16-2018, 07:49 AM
I say be happy with the skull mount. Strange situation about the cape though.

northof49
05-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Stick with euro mount and save the coin.....do shoulder mount on your next elk. Kinda sucks but dont sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your rack and remember the hunt.

russm86
05-16-2018, 07:59 AM
He says he get another cape for you from his family elk farm/wait for the fall to get you another one? Hmmm I hope he is not gonna take someone else's cape to replace yours...I know a meat company who did that with my buddy. He complained the meat he was picking up didn't look like the same amount he dropped off, so the butcher just casually walked I the back and grabbed some of someone else's and said "here"

If he's a reputable taxidermist, he'd most likely buy one from someone who's not wanting to use theirs. I've seen this before. Lots of ads in the past looking for capes of one kind or another... Or as he said, pull one from his family's farm...

CanadianMulie
05-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Stick with euro mount and save the coin.....do shoulder mount on your next elk. Kinda sucks but dont sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your rack and remember the hunt.

Might not get a next elk, that’s the problem. I have at unique situation my wife is Australia and there is a possibility that we may end up living there, where there are no elk. And chances of getting an elk that size again here in Saskatchewan with out putting in the draw for 14 years is extremely unlikely.

Mosin
05-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hear about this situation. I feel bad for you. Honestly, I think you got boned and have to suck it up. Is there anyway he could mail you the cape to Australia or will customs have a problem with that? If I were the taxi, I would simply just give the guy his money back and apologize and hoped the customer just went away. That's all you can do with the situation your in.

monasheemountainman
05-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Might not get a next elk, that’s the problem. I have at unique situation my wife is Australia and there is a possibility that we may end up living there, where there are no elk. And chances of getting an elk that size again here in Saskatchewan with out putting in the draw for 14 years is extremely unlikely.

I'd be pissed, and I would question his integrity for not telling you sooner, if he did know about it. if he agrees you dropped it off in good condition he should be paying for a new cape for you.

srupp
05-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Hmmm had this happen on a truly magnificant blonde black bear..slippage of hair means someone screwed up.you either didnt adequately cape, scrape and salt. .or freeze the cape.not saying you didnt..either you or he or tanning company.
I too asked for the bear hide..they said they tossed itfearing it would infect other animals in their possession.i knew it was bullshit..slippage is not catchable.
They..in my case sold the bear.period.i asked for $ restitution as they did not have the right to toss my bear hide.
In your case..something is wrong with them.
Ask for your cape if it is thrown out..they are no respectful credible taxidermist.
With out the cape..its about the money..it was most probably sold..worth the cost of the hassel with you.
If your cape is gone..ask for a prime large primo elk cape at no charge to you.and a significant refuction in fees for the vompleted job.
Capes can go bad and slip through error and mistske.
However once the slipped cape dissapears in goes into the I dont believe you category..no taxidermist throws out the evidence.
Sorry
Steven

bighornbob
05-16-2018, 10:23 AM

I understand that you are pissed about the original cape being ruined but unless the elk had a white blaze or something on its head or neck you would never know you got your original cape back in the first place. If the taxi decided to be dishonest right from the beginning he could have swapped in a different cape (as long as it was a similar sized bull) and you would have never known. The way you are talking about the elk it must be a monster, Iam assuming thats the rack that you still have. A monster 7 point elk will probably have the same body size as an average 6 point bull (maybe a inch bigger in the eye to nose measurement and a few inches in neck diameter) Something 90% of the guys would have no clue what size they are looking at when its mounted and on the wall.

I would talk to the taxi and see if he is willing to replace the cape. If he is then it might be a win win for you. If you get cape it will most likely be tanned. This way you dont have to mount it here and that will be huge when moving to australia. You know how much room a shoulder mounted elk takes up in a shipping container. Once there have a local taxi mount it down there and enjoy it.

BHB

CanadianMulie
05-16-2018, 11:25 AM
We aren’t moving to Oz right now, but it is very possible. As we have been going for 3 months at a time to help her family with their harvest contract. The bull had a large scar on his shoulder and a long main for a Mid September bull. The antlers aren’t huge, 355” net but they are heavy.

CM

Brez
05-16-2018, 11:29 AM
You are entitled to your cape back. Any deposit you paid would have paid for the tanning. Get it back and have a look. Did you mark it? Anyone having a hide tanned should mark it with nail holes in a certain patern in a tucked away place so that they will know that it's their cape or hide. I learned from experience. Enjoy your euro. Take your time to decide in a good frame of mind what you want to do. I agree with you that the original cape is almost as valuable as the antlers. Having said that, lots of people will sell their capes to those who are short. I have. I have also bought a cape when mine was cut too short for the mount I wanted. That really hurt. My mistake too. Good luck.

bwhnter
05-16-2018, 02:46 PM
As a taxidermy I feel I need to add my 2 cents. First off, do your research BEFORE taking your hard earned animals to a taxidermist. If you have done that and lose a cape maybe trust what you were told. I have had animals brought in and was told "I took REALLY good care of it" I do my thing and send it out to the tannery and I get a phone call from the tannery that it has slipped. These calls suck and I calling the customer about it is worse. The question is always how and why this happened. As a professional I take pride in my work and have skinned all night because customers have held onto their animals too long. I trust that what the customer tells me is the truth but if it still slipped how does it become the taxidermists fault? I have had bears slip because they were rolled up and put i the freezer with out cooling first ( it takes a long time for the inside to cool and freeze when rolled up. Especially of the head and paws are left in and rolled inside the hide) I have had a goat hide that was carried for two days up against a hunters back in his pack slip and until he admitted to that it was my fault. There is always a chance that it will happen and any good taxidermists will do EVERYTHING he can to keep you capes and hides perfect.

As far as asking for it back, if the tannery calls me and says it has slipped I get them to send me pictures. I don't get it shipped back because I feel it is ridicules to pay to have a worthless hide ship.

As far as hides and capes being sold .... hard to believe. If you trust him at the start of the transaction why all of a sudden to you not accept what he has told you. Unless you have some evidence to the contrary. When you assume......

Too many people look for the best "deal" when getting their animals mounted. Take your trophies to a professional taxidermists that you TRUST. Then if the unfortunate happens rely on that trust and work WITH them to come to a conclusion that works for both parties. As some one that relies on word of mouth as my # 1 way of advertising I understand that 1 unsatisfied customer can to more harm with one post on the internet than a dozen happy customers telling their buddies.

srupp
05-16-2018, 03:37 PM
As a taxidermy I feel I need to add my 2 cents. First off, do your research BEFORE taking your hard earned animals to a taxidermist. If you have done that and lose a cape maybe trust what you were told. I have had animals brought in and was told "I took REALLY good care of it" I do my thing and send it out to the tannery and I get a phone call from the tannery that it has slipped. These calls suck and I calling the customer about it is worse. The question is always how and why this happened. As a professional I take pride in my work and have skinned all night because customers have held onto their animals too long. I trust that what the customer tells me is the truth but if it still slipped how does it become the taxidermists fault? I have had bears slip because they were rolled up and put i the freezer with out cooling first ( it takes a long time for the inside to cool and freeze when rolled up. Especially of the head and paws are left in and rolled inside the hide) I have had a goat hide that was carried for two days up against a hunters back in his pack slip and until he admitted to that it was my fault. There is always a chance that it will happen and any good taxidermists will do EVERYTHING he can to keep you capes and hides perfect.

As far as asking for it back, if the tannery calls me and says it has slipped I get them to send me pictures. I don't get it shipped back because I feel it is ridicules to pay to have a worthless hide ship.

As far as hides and capes being sold .... hard to believe. If you trust him at the start of the transaction why all of a sudden to you not accept what he has told you. Unless you have some evidence to the contrary. When you assume......

Too many people look for the best "deal" when getting their animals mounted. Take your trophies to a professional taxidermists that you TRUST. Then if the unfortunate happens rely on that trust and work WITH them to come to a conclusion that works for both parties. As some one that relies on word of mouth as my # 1 way of advertising I understand that 1 unsatisfied customer can to more harm with one post on the internet than a dozen happy customers telling their buddies.

Well written, educational response..read this 3x..very instructional..
Steven

Brez
05-16-2018, 03:51 PM

I too think this is good info. Something for eveeryone to read - before they get that thophy that they may have mounted. Another thing is to learn how to cape and take care of it properly before shooting that big animal.

CanadianMulie
05-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Well I did do everything that you suggested. First researched, he had mounted one mule deer for me turned out great. He is not the most expensive in Sask but he is definitely not the cheapest. He quoted me $1850 for a shoulder mount. I get the hide cooled as quick as I could, I called him many times till I get ahold of him because I wanted to get it to a taxidermist asap. As soon as he said he would be around I pointed my truck his way and drove around an hour to get to him. I’ve always been concerned with slippage and even asked him am I going to have any troubles? He assured me I wouldn’t as I had gotten it to him so fast. And the selling bit about hides. Why would you not tell the client and then ignore his message specifically asking about the cape in question? I get that shit happens but that last point he F@($ed up there.

CM

bwhnter
05-16-2018, 05:49 PM
So you contacted him a month ago and maybe he called the tannery and it took time to figure it out. Let's be honest no one likes to make phone calls with bad news so he may have procrastinated a bit.

As far as the norm on this bad situation, there is no protocol. I am sure he could find you a cape that is similar and the mount will look good. Only you will know it is not your cape.

What I guess you need to decide is how the bull that you worked so hard for is to be displayed. If you are fine with a European mount great. If you want to have a beautiful shoulder mount on the wall, sit down with him and have a conversation. Perhaps inquire about a discount. Have an idea about what you would like to see but take his point of view into consideration. He is trying to make a living and perhaps he did everything right and the tannery screwed up on their pickle or they shaved it too much. Not his fault but now it is up to him to try and make the best out of a bad situation and odds are he will come out short $$ in the end.

If you are planning on taking your antlers with you when you move make sure to inquire about the proper permits and regulations that are required to import them.

Hopefully it turns out. It sucks all around.

Ferenc
05-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Damn it .... sounds like a nice elk .... any pics of this beast.

CanadianMulie
05-16-2018, 07:34 PM
So you contacted him a month ago and maybe he called the tannery and it took time to figure it out. Let's be honest no one likes to make phone calls with bad news so he may have procrastinated a bit.

As far as the norm on this bad situation, there is no protocol. I am sure he could find you a cape that is similar and the mount will look good. Only you will know it is not your cape.

What I guess you need to decide is how the bull that you worked so hard for is to be displayed. If you are fine with a European mount great. If you want to have a beautiful shoulder mount on the wall, sit down with him and have a conversation. Perhaps inquire about a discount. Have an idea about what youhwould like to see but take his point of view into consideration. He is trying to make a living and perhaps he did everything right and the tannery screwed up on their pickle or they shaved it too much. Not his fault but now it is up to him to try and make the best out of a bad situation and odds are he will come out short $$ in the end.

If you are planning on taking your antlers with you when you move make sure to inquire about the proper permits and regulations that are required to import them.

Hopefully it turns out. It sucks all around.

Well if he or any other taxidermist for that matter delays letting a client know that their cape was wrecked expect for there to be some doubt towards their integrity at the least.

Yes it took me 6 months to decide if I would shoulder mount or just euro. I knew the cape was beautiful and that if I didn’t mount someone would be pleased to have it on their mount. Now I have to go through the whole process again. The hunt was not what I wished it to be, it ended up being exactly what I didn’t want, but the circumstances left me with no option and even up to now it has just gotten worse and worse. So with no original cape and a poor hunt, weighed up against my possible only good bull elk it’s going to be hard to decide.
It may be the tannery’s falt I do realise this but if he is going to hold his work and business with the top taxidermists he needs to follow suit and be like the top taxidermists and ensure that everything in his power will be done to prevent this kind of thing from happening. If that means tanning all of his own stuff well that’s what it takes. But if he can’t do that don’t compare yourself with a world champion taxidermists.

I’m well aware of all of the working with moving to Oz. I’ve been hopping back and forth for over a decade. But thanks for the heads up. If I wasn’t aware I’d be in for a huge shock, lol.

CM

CanadianMulie
05-16-2018, 08:34 PM
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/CanadianMulie/20D6CB05-7424-4355-ACC7-53483653171B.jpeg (http://s973.photobucket.com/user/CanadianMulie/media/20D6CB05-7424-4355-ACC7-53483653171B.jpeg.html)

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/CanadianMulie/1C442552-44BB-48C2-AA99-20748EF70B4B.jpeg (http://s973.photobucket.com/user/CanadianMulie/media/1C442552-44BB-48C2-AA99-20748EF70B4B.jpeg.html)

I never got great photos. It was one of many things that made this hunt one to remember but not for the better. I'm not sure how but my camera setting got set to the absolute lowest quality. I only took 3 photos with my phone. One of which is the top photo. I have learnt a lot from this hunt, and am still learning from it. I started writing a story for it once I found my cape had slipped. The hunt was so unimpressive I had no motivation to write about it. I write a story for every successful hunt.

CM

walks with deer
05-16-2018, 08:58 PM
shot a hog of a bear..gave hide to freinds..they took to taxi...taxi said he would dispose..hmmm

i said bring back to me i will dispose..he said allrrady thrown out...hmmhide was scraped salted 3 hours afyer kill...wonder what he got for it.

CanadianMulie
05-17-2018, 12:24 PM
shot a hog of a bear..gave hide to freinds..they took to taxi...taxi said he would dispose..hmmm

i said bring back to me i will dispose..he said allrrady thrown out...hmmhide was scraped salted 3 hours afyer kill...wonder what he got for it.

That is terrible.

wideopenthrottle
05-17-2018, 02:02 PM
once in Oz, go to kiwi land...shoot a red stag and use that to mount your elk antlers...telling people about your "franken-stag" will keep you laughing the rest of your life....what percent of peeps would even notice...heheheheh

srupp
05-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Hmmm your bear was like mine..most likely sold.
Your elk is 100 % worthy of full shoulder mount..beauty.congrads.
Steven

Norwestalta
05-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Why would a taxidermists sell a hide or cape that you as the customer are already gonna pay for?

Nice elk CM. I can see why you'd be a little upset. I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure that the taxidermist nor the tanner tried to screw you and some how some way something effed up.

srupp
05-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Why would a taxidermists sell a hide or cape that you as the customer are already gonna pay for?

Nice elk CM. I can see why you'd be a little upset. I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure that the taxidermist nor the tanner tried to screw you and some how some way something effed up.

I wasn't there..
Steven

Norwestalta
05-17-2018, 05:18 PM
I wasn't there..
Steven

I realize this but is there a big market for selling someone else’s cape or hide? I don’t know so I’m serious in asking.

srupp
05-17-2018, 06:38 PM
Hmmm some capes.ie dall sheep or stone sheep are upwards of $1,000
Elk are farmed so the costs one would expect would be lower..but thinking $500 for prime cape, large sized properly cared for..
Srupp

Norwestalta
05-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Hmmm some capes.ie dall sheep or stone sheep are upwards of $1,000
Elk are farmed so the costs one would expect would be lower..but thinking $500 for prime cape, large sized properly cared for..
Srupp

So the taxidermist would make more money selling a cape for a elk rather than doing the taxidermy job that he was hired for? Doesn’t make sense to me but I suppose stranger things have happened. Maybe I’m a little naive in the shadiest part of taxidermy.

BChunter
05-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Its clear you need to pack salt and do your own caping. Its easy with practice. Videos, a local taxidermist and work on a deer first. Learn to do this including the ears, lips, nose, and hide. A big elk you need ten pounds. The new knives with replaceable blades are great. We dry the cape after a day salted, roll hide-in, then bag in an onion bag first, then a game bag. Freeze at home, your cape will be perfect!

Ferenc
05-17-2018, 11:28 PM
That’s a beauty elk, one day you’ll come across another and have an awesome mount .. thanks for putting some pics up .