PDA

View Full Version : Budget friendly spotting scopes?

luger
05-14-2018, 10:24 PM
I know what you pay for is what you get, but my needs and wants are not extreme and I’m hopeing to pick something up for a reasonable price.
I’ve never used a spotting scope much, I’m not a huge fan of having some giant scope taking up room in my pack but I think that a spotting scope would be a asset on most my hunts.
I'm looking for something to aid in glassing and to help count points on deer out to maybe 500 yards.
My brother has a Redfield Rampage and likes it so I’m thinking something in that price range (200-350$)
So far I’m thinking about these options.
what do you think?
Any advice and experiences would be appreciated.

Celestron Ultima 80
bushnell Trophy XLT

What magnification is nessessary ? 45x? 60x?

Norwestalta
05-15-2018, 06:24 AM
I’ve got a bushnell spotting scope but I’m unsure of the model. I think it was in the $300 range and I think it is the biggest pos I’ve ever looked thru. I made the mistake once of looking thru my buddies Swarovski and that ruined me. I’m told meopta is very good but quite a bit more pricey then your budget. I was told to check out bird watching forums for good glass.

Frank grimes
05-15-2018, 06:43 AM
Vanguard endeavour HD. I picked up the 65mm, off a member here recently. Very good glass for the money, also same kind of warranty as vortex.

Another option might be the minox md50, or maybe a used Nikon fieldscope 50mm.
I was in the same boat, looking for a spotter, and I went with the vangaurd based on quality and price, and that I found a good one used

wos
05-15-2018, 07:01 AM
I actually have a Redfield rampage! For the money you won't find anything much better. It's not the greatest peice of gear i own but it gets the job done. It's good for counting points , it works better on lower powers. The tripod it comes with is junk. Overall it works for me but will be upgraded next.

boxhitch
05-15-2018, 07:23 AM
I was told to check out bird watching forums for good glass.The best for optics reviews, they do like their Nikons

tikkahunter
05-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Sent you a PM.

twoSevenO
05-15-2018, 10:53 PM
You're not gonna get a spotting scope that's worth carrying around for that money. Personally, i would just get decent binoculars and a tripod and use that.

I've used a couple of cheap bushnell spotting scopes and honestly, you're better off with no spotter than a cheap spotter. Yeah, the picture is magnified, but it's never clear enough nor bright enough for things like spotting bullet holes on targets, or counting points etc.

Granted neither is a good spotter on a wobbly tripod, so keep that in mind, too.

JIL_24/7
05-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Buy used. A lot of guys buy them and then don't really use them (myself included). I got a great spotter doing that.

twoSevenO
05-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Buy used. A lot of guys buy them and then don't really use them (myself included). I got a great spotter doing that.

Too many people want too much money for used optics, to be honest. I've seen used razor spotters on here for more than I paid for mine brand new!!

Arctic Lake
05-22-2018, 09:06 AM
You're not gonna get a spotting scope that's worth carrying around for that money. Personally, i would just get decent binoculars and a tripod and use that.

I've used a couple of cheap bushnell spotting scopes and honestly, you're better off with no spotter than a cheap spotter. Yeah, the picture is magnified, but it's never clear enough nor bright enough for things like spotting bullet holes on targets, or counting points etc.

Granted neither is a good spotter on a wobbly tripod, so keep that in mind, too.

Seven 0

What power and objective diameter lens would you suggest for binos ? I have small minis that are 7 power but not that powerful .I would think you need something higher for at the range to find bullet holes in paper or viewing and judging wildlife ! recommendations of makes ?

Panzerfauste
05-24-2018, 05:42 PM
I got the GoSky 20-60x 80mm spotter off amazon for a 190$ and its legit. Its not very compact, but it works great. Very clear image. People ask to borrow it at the range to spot bullet holes at 200yd and they are blown away when I tell them it was less than 200$...

Arctic Lake
05-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Two Seven 0

What power and objective diameter lens would you suggest for binos ? I have small minis that are 7 power but not that powerful .I would think you need something higher for at the range to find bullet holes in paper or viewing and judging wildlife ! recommendations of makes ?

Would be interested in what you use !
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

Ferenc
05-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Bausch and Lomb “Elite” .... older and rubber amoured .... as said can be found on the used market in your price range or less.