PDA

View Full Version : The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

MichelD
05-13-2018, 08:40 PM
So you've called in a bull moose and he comes out of the trees and stands at the edge of the cut facing you at 200 yards.

He's huge with a massive spread of antlers.

You have a 30-06/308/270/280/300 mag/7mm Rem mag class rifle. Can you kill him with a frontal shot right in the middle of the breast or do you hope to wait for a better side-on presentation?:confused:

You know from experience that if he is turning to show you his side, the next next thing you will see (and in a big hurry) is his back end.

Stone C. Killer
05-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Shoooooooot

Stone C. Killer
05-13-2018, 08:41 PM
Then re load quick and drop him

Blainer
05-13-2018, 08:56 PM
He will die, take the shot
The width of his chest is likely bigger than where you are comfortable putting a broad side shot on a small black tail.
Ive heard many refer to a 10" pie plate as a reasonable target for a broadside heart/lung shot, that pie plate would look small on his chest, big animal, by your description, 1200 lbs
Shoot!

Johnny G1
05-13-2018, 08:57 PM
A 257 A1 right between the looker's and he froze with his eyeballs outside his head for a minute before he fell over, don't need no mag to get the job done. A few yrs ago in Lone Bute.

westcoaster
05-13-2018, 09:02 PM
If his head is up, or you are at a lower elevation, aim for the neck below his chin.....

not wise to try that as a free standing shot though....

srupp
05-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Hmmm some rules I never break...
Never head shoot any animal.
I wouldnt personaly shoot a moose at 200 yards in the upper neck/throat..
I have shot a moose frontal in the chest at 100 yards with 7mm..follow up shot behind front shoulder as moose turned..
Not best practice but did work the one time I used it..lmostly can get the traditional shot.
In all honesty. .65 inch bull in frontal situation.lhmmmm ya BOOOOOOOM..
Steven

tomahawk
05-13-2018, 09:29 PM
the only difference that's important to me is side to side placement on a frontal vs broadside. a wiggle a little forward or back on a side shot still gets 2 lungs, on a frontal a little wiggle on catches one possibly, if I have a steady position I shoot frontal everytime. like a few said base of neck on frontal works also, its all about your confidence level

HarryToolips
05-13-2018, 09:49 PM
Boooooooooom don't be a puuu$$$$$$y lol jk.......

TARCHER
05-13-2018, 10:13 PM
On a fly in trip out of Dease Lake 20 yrs ago I took this shot. Difference being I'm a meat guy and it was an ordinary bull. My 270 with 150gr partitions I hit that moose mid sternum and had a second quick follow up shot same as first. That bull dropped and heaved about making a lot of noise for a couple minutes. Dressing the animal both shots were close taking out the lungs and exiting close to his anus. I got real lucky and normally would not take this shot. The hind quarters could have been messed up. Since I have passed a few times on frontal shots. That said I took a nice blacktail on Vancouver island between the eyes and parted his brain from less than 100 yds. I was doing a lot of shooting then and was extremely confident. That I say is the key. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Like the British SAS shoot lots

moosinaround
05-14-2018, 05:39 AM
Killed a whitetail like that in 2009. Frontal shot, blew the valves off the heart, found the bullet in the pelvis. 300 win mag, 168 TTSX, about 100yrd shot. I have also shot a few antlerless elk in the head over the years, some with a 270 win, some with a 375 H&H, all have dropped instantly. All about the place and time for the shot, and the shooters confidence/abilities! I do like my broadside heart and lung, or spine shots though! Moosin

quadrakid
05-14-2018, 06:15 AM
Took that shot freehand at 200 yards once. moose turned sideways after shot,second shot down he went.you can,t eat em if you don,t get a shot off.

BCBRAD
05-14-2018, 06:16 AM
One time I was presented with a similar situation. A moose standing across a slew in reed grass, not a moose of a life time , but a good 5x5. He is looking straight at us at 250 yards, my partner said wait until he turns, I say no guarantee he will drop at the shot. ( we would have to back to camp for the canoe to retrieve him anyway and I didn't want him wandering into the bush).

So, offhand frontal shot, aimed just under the nose and the bullet landed mid chest, he turned and dropped.

35 Whelen with a 250gn Barnes FXB, bullet was under the hide at the rear.
A 30-06 would have had the same result with a good bullet.

wos
05-14-2018, 06:20 AM
Personally I would find a smaller 2 year old bull. But yea sternum shot will work

Livewire322
05-14-2018, 08:40 AM
I’d leave him. All the big bulls I’ve eaten have been tougher than leather.

walks with deer
05-14-2018, 08:40 AM
as i walked the cutline in the fading light in the rain on the last day of our drip a herd of elk quickly crossed the cutline 600 yards infront of me..by time i got down there in the dim light at 220yds the elk stood there like a ghost in the shadows.
i laid my pack down for a rest and put the crosshairs dead center where the choclate meets the tan.
as i touched off the shot there was a expolsion of steaming blood came from the animals mouth as it dropped dead on impact... 338 250 graim accoubond with 72 grains of reloader 19. 220 yds head on.
and i had my secound elk.

Darksith
05-14-2018, 10:01 AM
are you the type of shooter that maybe checks his gun before hunting season to ensure its sighted in and thats the only time you really shoot, or are you the type of guy that goes to the range once a month and is very comfortable with pulling the trigger? If it was my dad in that situation I wouldn't let him shoot, but I have taken that shot at 350 yards and been successful. I had to resetup 3 times to get the right rest where I was completely rock solid, but I also am very comfortable with my equipment and shoot a lot. Needless to say I have that bulls antlers...so ya I would easily shoot at 200 yards

boxhitch
05-14-2018, 10:09 AM
200 yards ? and he came on the call ? The fun is just beginning!!!!

Patience Grasshopper

walks with deer
05-14-2018, 11:18 AM
darksith and boxhitch have good points...

Sharpish
05-14-2018, 11:27 AM
I find that moose don't run off once they are hit ... they will stand there and try to figure out what's wrong. Then you can hit it again.

Foxton Gundogs
05-14-2018, 11:27 AM
If his head is up, or you are at a lower elevation, aim for the neck below his chin.....

not wise to try that as a free standing shot though....

Back in the day before all the trendy shooting sticks etc most shots were "off handed". Trouble is now people go to the range and shoot off the bench all the time. you need to spend time practicing real world shots standing kneeling etc. There are never any bench rests around when I find game but maybe I'm just unlucky in that regard.

emerson
05-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Back in the day before all the trendy shooting sticks etc most shots were "off handed". Trouble is now people go to the range and shoot off the bench all the time. you need to spend time practicing real world shots standing kneeling etc. There are never any bench rests around when I find game but maybe I'm just unlucky in that regard.
You and me both. All my practice is standing, still a tough shot at 200. If I can kneel things settle down a lot. I would take a head on shot @200, partly because I’ve moved up to 338 and 375 from 30-06 2 yrs ago. 200 with a decent bullet and any kind of support to steady the shot isn’t bad. I would aim high center chest.

J_T
05-14-2018, 02:19 PM
At 200 yrds, the hunt has just started. So in answer to the OP. No I would not shoot. I'd start hunting him. Under 20 yrds for the kill. Broadside.

303carbine
05-14-2018, 02:53 PM
I have made that exact shot numerous times, with a good rest and a shot placed where the horns meet the head and it's back strap, bacon and onions time.
Take the shot..........................

The Hermit
05-14-2018, 03:13 PM
200 yards ? and he came on the call ? The fun is just beginning!!!!

Patience Grasshopper

This is why I usually hunt with a bow! :-)

Actually, I hunt moose with a rifle because the odds of getting one within in 200 yards is so much greater and with the expense, time and effort to get off the rock and drive all the way to moose country I like getting one on the ground! When my partner and I have a tag each we both hunt with rifles until one moose is on the ground and then the lucky guy that didn't get the rifle kill gets to hunt with the bow for the rest of the trip.

But to answer the question, yes I would take the shot if I had a good stable rest to shoot from that is. My last moose was looking straight at me at 30 yards... poked him right in the eye, bang flop!

srupp
05-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Hmm last 4 bull moose..
45 yards broadside.
130 yards broad side
100 yards head on
25 yards broadside
Srr

Rob Chipman
05-14-2018, 04:25 PM
"You know from experience that if he is turning to show you his side, the next next thing you will see (and in a big hurry) is his back end."

"200 yards ? and he came on the call ? The fun is just beginning!!!!"

That's what I say, but it depends, of course, on where you're situated, what the wind is doing, etc. They will come closer. If you've got a shed hanging around, even better. Waggle that out in front of a tree and there's a good chance he'll decide you're a moose and get less careful.

To your question - at 200 yds it depends how good a shot you are. I shot my first moose in the center of the chest, offhand, open sights, from a canoe....but probably under 100 yards. Bang flop. No follow up needed.

I'd consider the front on shot tough simply because there isn't much room for error right or left.

Also tougher if you're alone. If you've got a partner you can move a bit away, keep your partner stashed and the bull can concentrate on you (thinking you're a moose) until your partner can ambush him broadside. Again, depends on terrain, etc, but that's what we did with my wife's first bull. I backed up and down into the creek to pull the bull out into the meadow. He probably never even thought about my wife being off to his right.

swamper
05-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Took one right between the lookers at about 175 yards. He dropped so fast I didn't have time to reload for a follow up. Depends on how much you shoot and how much faith you have in your gun and your ability.

TexasWalker
05-14-2018, 05:42 PM
Nope, wouldn't take the shot personally.

I love the comments about offhand shooting lol
Some real cowboys in here, I'd lay money 90% of guys couldn't hit paper offhand at 100 yards with any kind of consistency.

TARCHER
05-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Some real cowboys in here, I'd lay money 90% of guys couldn't hit paper offhand at 100 yards with any kind of consistency. I've always gotten a kick out of off hand shooting claim to fames. Most hunters don't shoot enough period. That includes me the last few years. I'm coming on to 60. I used to load a lot of rounds and punched a lot of holes, not so much now but nothing to boost your confidence by a lot of shooting.

markomoose
05-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Shoot em till they drop.Hit em in the rear they generally spin and give you a second shot.Have not lost one yet.

emerson
05-14-2018, 09:32 PM

Some real cowboys in here, I'd lay money 90% of guys couldn't hit paper offhand at 100 yards with any kind of consistency.

I've always gotten a kick out of off hand shooting claim to fames. Most hunters don't shoot enough period. That includes me the last few years. I'm coming on to 60. I used to load a lot of rounds and punched a lot of holes, not so much now but nothing to boost your confidence by a lot of shooting.
Maybe you folks are referring to me. I spend the time and the money sending thousands of rounds downrange offhand. I know what I’m capable of on a good day, and also what a bad day looks like. My accuracy doesnt depend on the caliber, but my focus and comfort level. I got professional instruction from the Marine Corps early in my life and have continued to attempt to build on that foundation. Not everyone who posts exaggerates their ability. Some actually understate their results in order to avoid hubris.

northof49
05-14-2018, 10:30 PM
I find that moose don't run off once they are hit ... they will stand there and try to figure out what's wrong. Then you can hit it again.

Not always, if on a slope they will frequently turn to run downhill. Anchor them well or you will regret all the extra packing.

wos
05-15-2018, 07:16 AM
Shoot em till they drop.Hit em in the rear they generally spin and give you a second shot.Have not lost one yet.
The second half is not good advice at all.

Darksith
05-15-2018, 07:24 AM

yup. Ive done free hand standing shoot competitions at the range. Pretty hard to hit a 12" gong at 200 freehand, success rates are pretty low with a group of 20 shooters. Go prone!

j270wsm
05-15-2018, 07:31 AM

Sounds like the worst advice and a lot of wasted meat

walks with deer
05-15-2018, 08:05 AM
lol i think hes joking...

walks with deer
05-15-2018, 08:05 AM
that said i did a texas heart shot on a whitetail once...worked great.

boblly1
05-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Last season my friend and i got a 4 year old same shot presentation but not as far. One shot between the eyes and we were having fresh liver and onions for dinner

Rob Chipman
05-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Like I said, I shot my first moose offhand from a boat, open sights. That was in the 80s. When I'm looking at a live target in the woods make no mistake: I find a rest and do everything I can to increase the odds of making a fast kill. Last moose I killed the rest was a tree branch. The last bear? Same thing. My offhand shooting will make them keep their heads down, at best.

375shooter
05-15-2018, 06:26 PM
I would drop into the sitting position, then nail him right in the centre of the chest. If it did not go directly down, I would immediately smack him in the first vital area that presented itself. It would be a done deal at 200 yards.

markomoose
05-15-2018, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=j270wsm;2008250]Sounds like the worst advice and a lot of wasted meat[/QUOTE Its a joke!I wouldn't take the shot

markomoose
05-15-2018, 08:19 PM
The second half is not good advice at all.Again its a joke.No I wouldn't take the shot haha

Longbranch
05-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Not ideal, but if heavy bush either side of him it might be your only shot. Not the time for an "off hand, heart pounding shot". You need a rest of some kind.
If he stepped out into a clearing and I was able to get into a resting position with cross hairs on him I'd try to wait him out. He might keep coming your way or if he decides to turn and you're on him you should get a good lung shot into him. As we know things happen fast and we often don't get a second chance.

HappyJack
05-16-2018, 08:27 AM
I'd wait for at least a quartering shot....i don't want a bullet in the guts or hinds and I'm not the desperate type.

todbartell
05-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Frontal works well on elk I can't see why a moose would shrug it off.

Leaseman
05-16-2018, 02:22 PM
In 40 years have done it three times, two at roughly 100 yards, third at 300+. Know your rifle and it is an easy, ethical shot, as good as the boiler room.

srupp
05-16-2018, 02:30 PM
In 40 years have done it three times, two at roughly 100 yards, third at 300+. Know your rifle and it is an easy, ethical shot, as good as the boiler room.

Hmmmm just remember Mike not to turn your back on a " dead down bull moose "..lol..the look on your face priceless..
Have a good day Buddy.
Cheers
Steven

Leaseman
05-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Hmmmm just remember Mike not to turn your back on a " dead down bull moose "..lol..the look on your face priceless..
Have a good day Buddy.
Cheers
Steven

Got to bring that one up eh buddy!! :oops: :smile:

panhead
05-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Shot a bull moose offhand one time at about 75 yards just before dark about a mile away from camp. Certainly not ideal timing but ... Figured I would save some meat and shoot him in the noggin’. First shot gave him a nosebleed so continued with 4 more solid shots in the cranium from a 7Mag. When I walked over he was stone dead, not even a convulsion. Learned my lesson ... better off in the boiler room. Did luck out though as I had just fired the last shot when my bud hollered out from the bush who just happened to be close by so gutting was quick and easy. Saved my bacon ... again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is far better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

srupp
05-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Got to g that one up eh buddy!! :oops: :smile:

Lol you got him Mike..wonderful adventure I will always remember..
As for head shot animals have found far too many head shot animals that survived to starve to death..
Srupp

HappyJack
05-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Nothing quite like shooting a moose in the guts, and when you do a head on guess where your bullet is going?

05-16-2018, 07:24 PM
A 257 A1 right between the looker's and he froze with his eyeballs outside his head for a minute before he fell over, don't need no mag to get the job done. A few yrs ago in Lone Bute.

Was that the one they hung on the high line at the log building site?

walks with deer
05-16-2018, 08:54 PM
all this saod i had a factury nosler 250 grain only penetrate 12 inches on a bad angle..but the 50 inch bull did drop like a stone.

05-16-2018, 09:22 PM
Depends on his actions... 200 yards is simple for me. But so is getting him closer.. if he is coming amd the wind is good he will come closer..that said i shoot a 338 RUM.
I wpuld end for end him

As well never call from a spot you dont have a rockin rest

hawk-i
05-17-2018, 08:09 AM
I find I shoot better off hand if the game is moving.

Ltbullken
05-17-2018, 08:28 AM
If you are a confident AND skilled shot (the two can be mutually exclusive...), know the capabilities of your rifle/cartridge combo, the shot presentation allows for penetration to the vitals, and have a good rest, I say take the shot and know that the beast will likely turn for a follow up shot, if not drop. If you're using something like a TSX/TTSX, Partition, bonded core, that bullet will penetrate plenty.

BornNRazed
05-17-2018, 09:30 AM
Been there, fired one 160 accubond from 7mm Center of brisket dropped like a sack of hammers, ate the steaks all winter and the rest is just a memory

popper
05-19-2018, 04:46 PM
if you feel confident - shoot, if not...try to get closer...
most of the time I know if I will make the shot when I raise the gun...

Johnny G1
05-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Was that the one they hung on the high line at the log building site? No it was not.

Takla
05-19-2018, 08:25 PM
My biggest bull was shot just in this manor face to face on a cutline ,2 in the forehead and down he went asz first
Shot another large bull faceing us thru the front briscuit bullet nicked his heart,quick kill as well
handloaded nosler partitions/300 weatherby mag

Caribou_lou
05-19-2018, 09:00 PM
I wouldnt hesitate to take that shot with a solid rest. And if ive called him into the open at 200 yards. Chances are he is still coming. It would be the last cow call he ever hears! Excited for moose season

Frango
05-20-2018, 08:13 AM
The second half is not good advice at all.No, it certainly is not good advise. I have found a few remarks on this subject a little concerning.

Cedar Cowgirl
05-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Well as with most things those who can do(and practice so they can) those that can't make smart comments about things/people because they ASS-U-me they are experts on every subject when they really aren't. I love comments like that.

BgBlkDg
05-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Yep...........

Keta1969
05-21-2018, 07:56 PM
Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well? 2 years ago this shot was presented to me at about 30 yards and I didn't take it as all I could think of was where the bullet would end up and the possible ensuing mess. After about a 1 minute stand off(he knew I was there and was looking right at me) he turned to walk away and I dropped him. 35 whelen and 225 gr. partition.

TexasWalker
05-21-2018, 09:15 PM
Well as with most things those who can do(and practice so they can) those that can't make smart comments about things/people because they AS-U-me they are experts on every subject when they really don't. I love comments like that.

Is this supposed to be a smart comment?
The grammar is so atrocious it's hard to decipher.

TexasWalker
05-21-2018, 09:19 PM
Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well? 2 years ago this shot was presented to me at about 30 yards and I didn't take it as all I could think of was where the bullet would end up and the possible ensuing mess. After about a 1 minute stand off(he knew I was there and was looking right at me) he turned to walk away and I dropped him. 35 whelen and 225 gr. partition.

You made the right choice, a front on shot is a poor one and yes the guts get hammered if you're using decent bullets.
I've seen the remnants of a hind quarter with a gut juice soaked bullet lodged in the center of it, mmmm good steaks there, bet it gets real nice after it's aged.
That's why I'll wait for them to turn every time, no need to wreck a bunch of meat.

Jagermeister
05-21-2018, 09:38 PM
That my friend is the worst shot you can take.
I know of an instance when the moose went down, the shooter laid his rifle to rest and started toward the downed moose. Suddenly it got up with a ploughed furrow between the eyes, and rage on the brain. The shooter morphed into a sheet of paper and turned sideways and his hunting partner, still with rifle in hand shot past the "paper sheet" (which was now brown) nailing the moose in the brisket rendering him dead. And this was all in less than 20 yards.
Head shot are only a last resort and even then I would pass. Can't think of anything worse than a nice bull moose highassing to the next valley with it's jaw blown away. Unless you're thinking you're helping a grizzly get a easy meal.

Cedar Cowgirl
05-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Is this supposed to be a smart comment?
The grammar is so atrocious it's hard to decipher.
An expert in the English language as well, I should have known. So as not to offend your far to sensitive eye for grammar I have corrected the mistakes that autocorrect made, I trust you will sleep better now.

Steeleco
05-22-2018, 01:06 PM
This thread is about shooting moose, do I need to send two of you to your corners?

MichelD
05-22-2018, 01:24 PM
OP here. I had a split second to decide whether to take this shot on a cow moose during an LEH hunt some years ago as I suddenly saw it but it had been watching me already so I did, aimed smack-dab for the middle of the brisket at about 80 yards and shot. The moose turned side on to me at the shot and for a moment I thought I had missed or shot too far right or left and only got a shoulder, then suddenly all I saw was four hooves flailing in the air.

Never did find the bullet, a 150 grain Hornady Interlock out of a 270. I think it deflected upward and struck the spine after going through the lungs. I was really lucky it didn't go straight through the parts of the stomach and continue into a hindquarter.

05-22-2018, 04:30 PM
I think the problem here is the title...
" moose of a life time "
Not meat bull.... of course you wait for a better shot on a 30" bull

Rob Chipman
05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
"Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well?"

Not with mine. Hit the heart, I'm sure (couldn't find it, anyway) but I don't know where the bullet went. Maybe deflected into spine, or out the side. My first moose, so...but I'll tell you what - the guys were intact. No punctures, rips or tears. To be honest I was so excited I never looked for the bullet. Nowadays I always seem to find either the bullet or the exit, but not that time. Would have been a .308, but I have no idea what weight.

Piperdown
05-22-2018, 05:41 PM
"Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well?"

Not with mine. Hit the heart, I'm sure (couldn't find it, anyway) but I don't know where the bullet went. Maybe deflected into spine, or out the side. My first moose, so...but I'll tell you what - the guys were intact. No punctures, rips or tears. To be honest I was so excited I never looked for the bullet. Nowadays I always seem to find either the bullet or the exit, but not that time. Would have been a .308, but I have no idea what weight.

365 yards straight on, had a good rest, bang stumbled for 10-15 yards flop, bled out on the spot could not believe the amount of blood. As for the guts intact and like you never really paid attention after that as i had a lot of work ahead of me :) Oh and shooting xbolt 7mm rem mag, barnes ttsx 150 gr, 3040 fps handload

Bustercluck
05-22-2018, 06:38 PM
I'd keep calling and wait for a better shot. 200 yards isn't a challenging shot, I just think about the couple feed bags I've been around that have been busted open.

That being said, if it was the last day of a ten day hunt and no animals hanging in the tree I'd probably be tempted to take the shot. You don't really know what you'll do until you're presented with the problem.

ROY-alty33
05-22-2018, 11:31 PM
Buddy took this shot on a deer. Unzipped it from brisket to a$$H0le. Quite possibly the most horrible death I have ever witnessed, but for different reasons...Field dressing was a breeze though.

Steele Shot
05-25-2018, 08:05 PM

I couldn't agree more. I have seen some of the "old timers" pull of some amazing shots off handed anyone who doesn't believe that is either totally closed minded or hasn't bee around many competent shooters. Know your rifle know your abilities and practice and take the shot.