PDA

View Full Version : And another one bites the dust 2018 spring bear.

RyoTHC
05-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Well,

This is going to be a teaser for now, as i'm about the head to the butcher..
My personal second tag was filled last night...

3rd spring bear down between myself and hunting buddy, since may 4th, one every 4th day to be exact... may go out on the 16th for the 4th tag fill??:roll:

with a second, big, brown... boar :D

Couldn't be happier on all accounts..
Headed to the butcher now to drop it off..
lots and lots of sausage,jerky, peporoni,hamburger and tallow to come

story and pictures to come.

Harvest the Land
05-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Awesome! You're not into roasts?

Thunderstix
05-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Sweet! Great start to a great day.

Red_Mist
05-13-2018, 10:00 AM
I think you know what you have to do..... go cut that 4th tag !

RyoTHC
05-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Awesome! You're not into roasts?

I have a bunch of roasts from the first one, but out of all ways to eat bear roast is definitely my least favorite (and I still love it, what's that tell you ^^) pictures to come, just working on uploading and hosting now.

HarryToolips
05-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Congrats, looking forward to pics, how do you do the jerky, do you pre cook then cut into thin slices and roast, just to avoid any possibility of trichinosis??

RyoTHC
05-13-2018, 12:53 PM
That's exactly right, pre cook low and slow in oven after marinade. Then directly into dehydrator ... Works amazing, just be sure to trim all the fat though or it'll go rancid and ruin your jerkey!

caddisguy
05-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Way to go! You're on fire this season. Looking forward to the write-up!!

RyoTHC
05-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Well unfortunately the flooding locally is getting worse, and i've had next to no time to continue hunting for that 4th boar to fill our last tag, or to have a big write up..

So, I'll give you guys what you want now, that's pictures i'd imagine.. and as soon as I get some time i'll do a write up, including pictures of the recovered bullet from both boars (103g ELDX and 143g ELDX)

This guy was feeding on the top cut block of the same valley my first boar came out of, 4KM away roughly..when we hiked up over the ridge to get an elevated view he was a couple hundred yards away feeding on dandylions, and let me tell you.. he did NOT care we were there, we were able to crouch walk into 60 yards, set up prone with the bipods and watch him for 15 minutes or so, in that time he looked at us numerous times, winded us, and still just kept eating as if we were nothing to him, until he gave us a sure sign he was a big ol male.. (not that we couldn't already tell.. but better safe than sorry..)

Bear went maybe 15-20 yards after the shot, but in an unexpected direction... towards us! before stumbling and expiring in the absolute best spot anyone could dream for such a large bear... thanks to GPS and some overhead maps we were able to get the truck within mere feet of him!

On a positive note, based on the condition of his belly... I'm pretty sure this boy had been breeding as recently as minutes before we came up on him enjoying his buffet...

ANYWAYS... Here are some pictures to hold you guys over.. this guy was 1/2-3/4 of a foot shorter than my first boar, but this guy weighed almost 25lbs more on the meat hook! he was a stocky thick guy.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lxt5cl.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2dlowu9.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2a5y9vs.jpg

Would like to again thank my hunting buddy "Hughman", for all the help! I'd never have been able to pursuit either of these bruins without all his help!

RyoTHC
05-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Way to go! You're on fire this season. Looking forward to the write-up!!

Thank you sir!

Pictures are up, detailed writeup will be a bit delayed! Between fleshing these hides, skulls etc, prepping for tanning and all the flooding, there aren't enough hours in the day! glad my tags are filled for the year..

Bunner
05-15-2018, 03:50 PM
That's a sweet looking bruin you got there. Some really nice colour on that bear.
Thanks for sharing
I head out tomorrow for my first hunt of the year. Hopefully I am as lucky as you

RyoTHC
05-15-2018, 03:53 PM
That's a sweet looking bruin you got there. Some really nice colour on that bear.
Thanks for sharing
I head out tomorrow for my first hunt of the year. Hopefully I am as lucky as you

Maybe you can post up those pictures from your 2015 bear now? ;) hehe

Good luck! Hope you get exactly what you're looking for.

Brew
05-15-2018, 03:56 PM
That’s a great looking bear. I really like the colour.

RackStar
05-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Nice genetics in that area, great bear

RyoTHC
05-15-2018, 04:06 PM
That’s a great looking bear. I really like the colour.

Lucky enough,almost exact color to my first bear with this one just having a few lighter highlights and less of a pumkin head... Just took other pictures after dark so it was very hard to tell!
Couldn't be happier with this season, 7 outings so far between scouting trips and hunts, and I am well over 40 bears, a good percentage being sows with cubs! and young bears out on their own, good recruitment in the bear population of zone 3 it seems.

The_Bear_Man
05-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Great bear! I love the colour on him. We don’t get too many colour phase bears up here in region 7. What did he tape out at? Are you doing anything with the hide?

RyoTHC
05-17-2018, 10:16 PM
Prior to this season I had only seen two, this season alone I've spotted 9 so far.. three being cubs, and two mammas and one sow alone, a teenager and 2 boars I harvested.. and since, i've seen nothing but black bears..

Next season I hope to get a solid jet black bear of the same stature as this year, so I can have some nice contrast! :)

bigredchev
05-18-2018, 04:44 AM
solid season. im sure years down the road you will look back on 2018 fondly

patbrennan
05-18-2018, 05:20 AM
Very nice bear!

Rob Chipman
05-18-2018, 10:19 AM
That is a nice looking bear. I think it's the color that's got me giving the thumbs up.

I'm not surprised you could sneak up close while he was eating. I am a bit surprised that you think he knew all about you buy still didn't bail. Talk about a confident bear. I don;'t doubt he knew you were there and think that might be why he ran and stumbled toward you.

Elkhound
05-18-2018, 10:26 AM
nicely done. Guess I better get my ass out there

Rob Chipman
05-18-2018, 03:57 PM
RyoTHC

How fat was that bear? I've only got fall bears and so I'm curious.