PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the logging road near Furry creek

okanagan hiker
08-27-2007, 09:58 AM
To all..

First, I am a new hunter ( at 48 years old! ) and have been reading this site for a few months... GREAT site!!:smile:

I have a couple of quick questions...

1) Has anyone here hunted off a logging road just off Hwy 99 , past Furry Creek? I was hiking up there last week... looks to my newbie eyes that it would be good. ( for deer and black bear ) Is it crawling with hunters during the season?

2) Have any of you had issues or problems with leaving your cars parked at a trail head / entrance to logging roads / etc while you wander off a day or more of hiking? I am a bit concerned about being vanalized or broken into ( I don't leave anything of value in the car, but would like to find a drivable car when I get back to it! ) I did see that the signs near the entrance had been peppered with shot!

Thanks in advance

peterrum3
08-27-2007, 11:15 AM
No one can really predict when your vehicle may or may not be hit by vandals. You roll the dice when you leave it out and personally I have never had any trouble. I do carry a cel phone with me though just in case i have trouble in the bush or with my vehicle when I return. That is probably the best you can do and you are already doing the right thing by not leaving anything of value inside. Good luck.

kishman
08-27-2007, 11:47 AM
2) Have any of you had issues or problems with leaving your cars parked at a trail head / entrance to logging roads / etc while you wander off a day or more of hiking? I am a bit concerned about being vanalized or broken into ( I don't leave anything of value in the car, but would like to find a drivable car when I get back to it! ) I did see that the signs near the entrance had been peppered with shot!

Thanks in advance

I always try to put out of site any indicators (gun case, camo gear etc...)that I'm out hunting in the area. I've feard a few stories of anti-hunting types vandalizing vehicles that belong to hunters. Pretty gutsy considering they know thier victim is packing a rifle....

BANG!
08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
you can park just 500 yards closer to the main road .... then you'll look like a local out walking the dogs. My Out Laws live there - and I,ve been up that road on the mountain bike once. It was a long steep climb on a bike so it was just that once. Saw some nice deer sign there - and there's always the local blackies. Watch out for the local granola crew ... and avoid a lecture 8)

good luck - and let us know how you do up there