PDA

View Full Version : Spring bear down

bacon_overlord
05-03-2018, 10:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dSGjUUTh.jpg

Went out for the second time this year to look for bears. First time hiked 4h in Hyas lake road area - no sign anywhere. Discouraging. So waited two weeks and tried a different area. This spot in 3-26 I hunted the crap out of last year to no avail. Being close to the city its pressured, and I did a lot of blundering around spooking game. But i got very very familiar with all the spurs and nooks and crannies.
Got to the area around 5:30ish. Game plan was to put on preparation H and drive until I saw sign, then hike that area. Luckily didn't take long to spot an older scat (pic #1). Parked, and strolled the rest of the spur to the end, and spotted black fresh poops.
Drove back down the main a bit and saw near tracks at the side of the road, so again parked. The road winds down in an extended S curve thru several cuts for about 1.5km, and there's a drainage / marsh at the bottom. I strolled along, glossing every 20 steps or so. Wind was in my face, and it was a beautiful evening around 20 degrees.
I caught movement at the back of the grassy drainage at the bottom and brought up the glasses...bear! Watched for a minute looking for Cubs, none there. The bear was about 450m away, 50m below and ambling along lunching grass. My heart was hammering as I marched down the road to where I could try an approach for a shot. I dropped my pack and crept into the cut block trying to close up enough for a shot. Around 250m I figured this was as close as I could get and looked for a good rest for the bipod. I was on a steep downhill wasn't happy taking a long shot without something rock solid. Finally I planted in a hammock of earth and went to line up. I was still vibrating and couldn't settle, and then the bear went into some high grass to feed and was barely visible S%it.
From having hiked all over the area I knew the was a trail to the back of the marsh that would take my right to where the bear was. I'd have to break contact and hope he didn't cruise off. I hurried down the road and took the trail to box around. The wind was flat, and the spring runoff made the trail into a stream, and the running water covered my steps. I put in earplugs, slipped the safety off and crept along the back side of the box to where I had seen him. The walk had burned off the adrenaline and I felt calm and steady now. I was thinking he had left when I saw him head down mowing about 30 yards away, oblivious. Dropped to one knee, put the sights on him and lined up a perfect quartering to shot. Trigger squeeze and shot cracked and bear dropped I cycled the bolt and waited. I saw his head rise slightly and them he slumped over. I waited another 5 minutes and threw a stick at him..that's a dead bear.

https://i.imgur.com/yWkjlOyh.jpg

Walked up and took a couple pics and sent them to my wife to let her know I'd be coming home late.

https://i.imgur.com/oPC1aVph.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F5rEbvvh.jpg
Bear dropped at 7:03pm, was lucky enough to be able to drive right to it by 7:30, loaded and headed home by 9:15. Gonna be a grinder fest next week!

Treed
05-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Congrats! But as my buddies when I was 39, without proof your still a virgin! I’m sure u got your bear, and I’m sure I’m not a virgin, but only one of these things should invoke a photo or two! Show us your bear naked!

caddisguy
05-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Looks like a Reg 3 bear just went down. Congrats~!

bacon_overlord
05-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Congrats! But as my buddies when I was 39, without proof your still a virgin! I’m sure u got your bear, and I’m sure I’m not a virgin, but only one of these things should invoke a photo or two! Show us your bear naked!

I was figuring out the pic posting shenanigans in editing. There ya go :)

KBC
05-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Tell me more about the preparation H part... Well done!

bacon_overlord
05-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Tell me more about the preparation H part... Well done!

Always recommended when sitting for extended periods...such as road hunting. Lol

The Hermit
05-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Always recommended when sitting for extended periods...such as road hunting. Lol

Roid Hunting! LOL

monasheemountainman
05-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Nice work!! Good story!!

gcreek
05-04-2018, 12:59 AM
Good work!

srupp
05-04-2018, 01:47 AM
Congradulations..well done.
Srupp

Harvest the Land
05-04-2018, 06:26 AM
Well done! Beauty coat too. Awesome way to start your 2018 season. Way to go!!

decker9
05-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Excellent job!! Congrats!!

sausage lover
05-04-2018, 07:21 AM
He's going to be tasty! Congrats on your hunt and don't forget the head in the garage!:-D

chris
05-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Congrats. Nice story and photos. What gun, calibre and scope were you using? It's nice getting an early bear it takes the pressure off for the rest of the season.

bacon_overlord
05-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Congrats. Nice story and photos. What gun, calibre and scope were you using? It's nice getting an early bear it takes the pressure off for the rest of the season.

Tikka T3 in 7RM with a 3-9x40 Leupold vx1. Shot with a 150gr Barnes TSX over 67.5gr 7828. Loving the Barnes bullets. Entry wound in the lower neck was a finger hole, exit (pictured) was about 3". Lungs were liquid. I trimmed meat up to 2" of the hole. And no lead in the meat I feed my family.

chris
05-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Nice rifle choice. I always worry about expansion with extremely close shots like that but it sounds and looks like a page from a text book.

weatherby_man
05-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Excellent, way to go. Looks like it will be tasty :)...

Ron.C
05-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Great job!!!

RyoTHC
05-04-2018, 09:20 AM
Congrats! Hope to be able to follow suit,going out again this afternoon!

Grumpa Joe
05-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Congratulations. Makes me envious. Off to try my luck this weekend.

rvpartsonlinecanada
05-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Nice bear! Well done

sillyghillie
05-04-2018, 03:10 PM
thats a beauty, whats the length on him?

HarryToolips
05-04-2018, 11:24 PM
Nicely done congrats!

whitespringer
05-05-2018, 12:01 AM
Very good sir! Tasty eats!

scotty30-06
05-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Nicely done ....and good read ....what are ya thinking of making him into?

bacon_overlord
05-05-2018, 05:09 AM
I think he's in the 4-5 foot range.. Didn't measure. Good sized eating bear. He's mostly going to ground with pork fat- we use alot of ground in recipes. I'll set some aside to regrind for sausage and will probably smoke one of the hams.

Thanks to all for the good wishes and congratulations.

Good luck and happy hunting as well! Get some!

tigrr
05-05-2018, 06:44 AM
Got our first rain since the snow melted, come on grass.
Nice size should be tender. My next will be all roasts. String wrapped, slow cooked roasts.

HarryToolips
05-05-2018, 08:16 AM
I think he's in the 4-5 foot range.. Didn't measure. Good sized eating bear. He's mostly going to ground with pork fat- we use alot of ground in recipes. I'll set some aside to regrind for sausage and will probably smoke one of the hams.

Thanks to all for the good wishes and congratulations.

Good luck and happy hunting as well! Get some!
Try ground bear without any pork before adding it, trust me, you may be surprised, my buddy did it a couple years ago, the bear tacos were great with nothing added..

bacon_overlord
05-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Got our first rain since the snow melted, come on grass.
Nice size should be tender. My next will be all roasts. String wrapped, slow cooked roasts.

I do slow cooker the shanks and it comes out like pulled pork. One of my favourites.

I'll try some sans pork fat but I find the super lean spring bear can seem a bit dry without it. Also going to try grinding it with bacon. Should be amazing.

Arctic Lake
05-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Great story and congrats one a nice bear !
Arctic Lake

sawmill
05-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Nice shot placement, good quick kill. Congrats and enjoy!

todbartell
05-05-2018, 12:51 PM
I do slow cooker the shanks and it comes out like pulled pork. One of my favourites.

I'll try some sans pork fat but I find the super lean spring bear can seem a bit dry without it. Also going to try grinding it with bacon. Should be amazing.

I made some bear bacon chili last spring, it was awesome. Equal parts lean bear & good quality thick cut pork bacon. Mmmmm

Kill-da-wabbit
05-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Good shot - love the bear meat I do!