PDA

View Full Version : Southern BC Mule Deer Project

Stone Sheep Steve
05-02-2018, 07:17 PM
http://bcwf.net/index.php/southern-bc-mule-deer-project

As some of you are aware by now, the BCWF has spearheaded a mule deer collaring project that is taking place in the BC interior over the next three years.

The BCWF has been lobbying hard to increase funding for wildlife and it appears things are headed in the right direction. Without funding this project would have never got off the ground.

Partnering with HCTF, UBCO, University of Idaho, ONA and several sportsmen's groups, the project is under way with a total of 64 mule deer does now sporting new GPS collars. The collaring is now suspended temporarily to avoid any possible harm to unborn fetuses from the tranquilizer drugs.

For this study, the BCWF has purchased a mobile ultrasound unit so pregnancy rates could be determined...which is critical to the study. Not only can it give immediate feedback on fetuses, it can also measure fat on the animal to help determine overall health.

Collaring has taken place in the Boundary (8-14, 8-15), Okanagan(8-08, 8-11) and Elephant Hill Fire (3-29,3-30). Deer were collared both in and outside of wildfire areas.

Of the 64 collared deer (63 does and one yearling female), the pregnancy rate is 100% (minus the yearling) with 80% of does packing twins. So from the 63 does, 113 fawns will hit the ground in the coming weeks. Definitely shows that sperm supply is not an issue.

There are an additional 27-30 collared mule deer does in the West Kootenays but they didn't have an ultrasound so no pregnancy rate are available for those. Not sure if they can get that from blood samples or not?

The collaring of fawns will continue in the fall and does again next spring.

Several HBC'ers have volunteered to assist in this exciting project (feel free to add some pictures to this thread). I was lucky enough to get in on one collar this spring.

https://i.imgur.com/uq00bNI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Vsbz4Sd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LiF5Uyf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CuwtUKQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/juhh1k8.jpg

srupp
05-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Exellent report..well done guys, gals..children...GREAT idea to get children involved..was the gentleman..Kirby?
Thanks
Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
05-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Exellent report..well done guys, gals..children...GREAT idea to get children involved..was the gentleman..Kirby?
Thanks
Steven

The family granted us permission to access crown land behind their property so we called them up once we got a deer down. Was a great addition to the experience to get some new wildlife stewards involved! The whole family loved the experience.

twoSevenO
05-02-2018, 07:39 PM
That's awesome. Where can one find out more specifically about volunteer opportunities for this?

05-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Some great work and volunteering going on there..... Cudos to you all.

HarryToolips
05-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Great work all of you! Definitely shows that sperm supply isn't an issue is right...

Stone Sheep Steve
05-02-2018, 08:38 PM
I learned one very important item about sperm supply while chatting with our bio.

BC doesn't include a sightability factor when conducting flight counts for buck to doe ratios....whereas most other areas do.
Experts from Idaho (which have a pile of mule deer experience) reviewed our data and knew right away that our buck seasons weren't causing any issues. They have some areas in Idaho where they manage to 10:100 including the sightability factor.

SSS

Elkaholic
05-03-2018, 08:11 AM
I learned one very important item about sperm supply while chatting without bio.

BC doesn't include a sightability factor when conducting flight counts for buck to doe ratios....whereas most other areas do.
Experts from Idaho (which have a pile of mule deer experience) reviewed our data and knew right away that our buck seasons weren't causing any issues. They have some areas in Idaho where they manage to 10:100 including the sightability factor.

SSS

Did they have anything else to offer when reviewing our data? Great stuff by all involved to try to make a difference.

Fisher-Dude
05-03-2018, 08:55 AM
We were lucky enough to get out for an afternoon/evening "hunt" on the 22nd. Unfortunately, we didn't get one on the ground for collaring that night (sudden warm weather change kept them hidden), but it was an educational and fun experience!

I've been busy begging dollars to go to the project, and so far so good. Local clubs have really stepped up!

We're still gathering names of people who want to be involved with veg plots, trail cam monitoring, etc. Contact your local club if you're interested in helping out.

todbartell
05-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Great stuff. It reminded me I had to renew my BCWF membership! Done

Carrollizer
05-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Might be a dumb question, but are you allowed to harvest collared deer? (of course following regulation points etc.)
I know these are does, but it was more so for a buck with a collar and in general

Stone Sheep Steve
05-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Might be a dumb question, but are you allowed to harvest collared deer? (of course following regulation points etc.)
I know these are does, but it was more so for a buck with a collar and in general

It depends on the study. Some will be mentioned in the regulations NOT to shoot a certain species that are collared whereas other studies want to know what percentage of mortality is caused by hunting.

SSS

jackson13
05-03-2018, 11:36 AM
I am trying to get in touch with someone involved in this study that would be willing to speak to my high school Biology class. I have emailed the contact person at BCWF but have not heard back. Any one know anyone involved in the study that would be willing to speak to some grade 11 students? I am located in Oliver. Please PM if you have some info. Many thanks in advance.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-03-2018, 01:38 PM
I am trying to get in touch with someone involved in this study that would be willing to speak to my high school Biology class. I have emailed the contact person at BCWF but have not heard back. Any one know anyone involved in the study that would be willing to speak to some grade 11 students? I am located in Oliver. Please PM if you have some info. Many thanks in advance.

Thats a great idea, Jackson.

Ill send the bio a message as he's in Penticton.

one-shot-wonder
05-03-2018, 01:42 PM
PM sent.....

kelowna.jordan
05-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Excellent work to everyone involved!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-03-2018, 06:32 PM

The wildlife bios said they would make it happen! Stand up guys

Stone Sheep Steve
05-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Did they have anything else to offer when reviewing our data? Great stuff by all involved to try to make a difference.

Not sure what else the offered for advice....aside from increasing the frequency of flight counts....but we already knew that.

In California they strive to collar 10% of their mule deer population. Crazy......

Bugle M In
05-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Thanks for posting....

Now if they could only collar a few of the preds like wolf and cougar in the area, and see how big the correlation is.

huntinnewbie
05-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Thanks for posting....

Now if they could only collar a few of the preds like wolf and cougar in the area, and see how big the correlation is.
IMHO I would think that a collared doe that has met her demise would be able to be found via the collar and method of death determined.

horshur
05-03-2018, 07:12 PM
It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...conclusions cannot be drawn in short term. Continued constant change is not a climate to make hard conclusions . I hope the study doesn't come to a end with more questions then answers. Ise royale study suggests that short term conclusions are exactly that!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-03-2018, 07:15 PM
It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...conclusions cannot be drawn in short term. Continued constant change is not a climate to make hard conclusions . I hope the study doesn't come to a end with more questions then answers. Ise royale study suggests that short term conclusions are exactly that!

Absolutley. Hopefully this is just the start of a new direction.
Funding is supposed to keep increasing over the next few years. We shall see.

Rob Chipman
05-03-2018, 08:48 PM
"Now if they could only collar a few of the preds like wolf and cougar in the area, and see how big the correlation is.

They're putting out camera traps to help determine who's around. Otherwise (as far as I understand it) you get to the site of a non-moving collar as fast as possible. I've heard bios describe wolf kills as "spectacular" (I think we know why) while cougar kills are, well, not as spectacular and tend to be hidden for prolonged feeding. Don't know what bear kills look like.

"It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...."

Part of the strength of this study is that it will contribute data to an ongoing database from Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado (I hope I got those right and didn't leave any out). I think the Idaho study has been going on so long that it rivals the best medical longitudinal studies.

Translation? You and the bios are on the same page as far as time frame. SSS is also correct: funding needs to continue. Promoting this study by getting regular Joes involved, and getting the bios talking to people about it will help. Clubs helping to fund it will also help.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2018, 04:35 AM
"Now if they could only collar a few of the preds like wolf and cougar in the area, and see how big the correlation is.

They're putting out camera traps to help determine who's around. Otherwise (as far as I understand it) you get to the site of a non-moving collar as fast as possible. I've heard bios describe wolf kills as "spectacular" (I think we know why) while cougar kills are, well, not as spectacular and tend to be hidden for prolonged feeding. Don't know what bear kills look like.

"It needs to be minimum 20 year ongoing study...."

Part of the strength of this study is that it will contribute data to an ongoing database from Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado (I hope I got those right and didn't leave any out). I think the Idaho study has been going on so long that it rivals the best medical longitudinal studies.

Translation? You and the bios are on the same page as far as time frame. SSS is also correct: funding needs to continue. Promoting this study by getting regular Joes involved, and getting the bios talking to people about it will help. Clubs helping to fund it will also help.

Not just regular joes but also several FN bands want to do what they can as well. Traditionally they did low intensity burns to help the landscape and things are moving that direction again.

This project has also caught the ear the CEO of the one of the local mills. Collaboration is the key to moving forward with the best practical approach. The status quo hasn't worked.

Complaining and changing the regulations hasn't worked.

SSS

HighCountryBC
05-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Great work to all involved. Nice to see projects like this get off the ground despite the negativity from the usual suspects.

Seeker
05-04-2018, 01:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Qg1tBXol.jpg

Seeker
05-04-2018, 01:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8RWvzktl.jpg

Seeker
05-04-2018, 01:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AFNzd89l.jpg

Seeker
05-04-2018, 01:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ojd51kDh.jpg

Seeker
05-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Great project I am proud to be a part of. It's getting done. Kudos to those involved!

Seeker
05-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Better yet, use some of this abundant study money to eliminate a portion of them from the gene pool. Would do more good than counting dead deer.

We can and are doing both on this website. There is room for both. I can understand frustrations from the predator control standpoint. Throw support behind the project of your choice. I can afford the time and the dollars to get behind this project. I am willing to help fund some predator control as well, but unfortunately with a young family and limited time, I am unable to devote the time and money necessary in order to even get close to a wolf, let alone kill more than one. Any knowledge we gain is beneficial.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharing those Seeker! Was hoping you would follow chime in.

Gateholio
05-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Just spent some time clearing out much of this thread of unrelated nonsense. Some good, on topic posts got caught up in the cull, and I apologize for that. All I kept were the first few posts to set up the thread, and mass nuked the rest.

Comments on this thread will be limited to the topic of this particular study taking place. Not caribou or other species, not what is going on in other areas of the province, not the BCWF and not any of the rest of the ranting and raving that has taken place on this thread.

This has the potential to be an awesome thread and a great learning tool as information is updated throughout the length of the study. Please don't ruin it like before.

Fair warning to ALL:

If you are disruptive, veer off topic, rant about the injustice of your post getting deleted or are belligerent, you will be getting some sort of ban- And no, it won't be some sort of "secret conspiracy ban." It will be very evident to all. I hope this is nice and sparkling clear.

Thanks to SSS, Seeker and the others who are making positive contributions to this thread. Please proceed......

horshur
05-27-2018, 05:54 PM
So how about them mule deer��

Piperdown
05-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Ah a breath of fresh air, good job mods

IslandWanderer
05-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Ah a breath of fresh air, good job mods

Lol, whatever Piperbrown. You have the occasional questionable post too.

Gateholio
05-27-2018, 06:49 PM
Lol, whatever Piperbrown. You have the occasional questionable post too.

And we will see IslandWanderer in a month. He must have thought I was only kidding.

horshur
05-27-2018, 07:57 PM
A few pics from last year. Discovered this doe dead on power line around May 21st. Strange circumstance. Was wondering if it is breach birth complications. The marks on pictures are from ravens and vultures. She appears to been pecked at while alive cause she was still warm in pic however stiffing up from rigor. Maybe dead 4-5 hours. The pic of fawn leg pulled out of stomach is from birds a day later ...never had a coyote or bear on it. click on photo for a larger view.
https://s20.postimg.cc/k8us0su1l/IMG_20170520_200002592.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/k8us0su1l/)
https://s20.postimg.cc/4ndggnuw9/IMG_20170520_200252595.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/4ndggnuw9/)
https://s20.postimg.cc/s1lfsosa1/IMG_20170520_200110601.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/s1lfsosa1/)
https://s20.postimg.cc/ih1t64fw9/IMG_20170521_120212400small.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/ih1t64fw9/)

Ourea
05-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Am i going to last long Gates?

dana
05-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Good to see studies focused on Muleys. Hope this one can answer some questions!

HarryToolips
05-27-2018, 10:18 PM
^^^^yes, hope it answers questions..so are they planning on collaring the offspring this year iirc from this threads discussion??

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2018, 04:45 AM
^^^^yes, hope it answers questions..so are they planning on collaring the offspring this year iirc from this threads discussion??

Yes. In the early fall.

Timbow
05-28-2018, 08:26 AM
I have been following this thread from the start and I’m glad there is a study.

Curious on what is discovered, especially how the deer use the vastly modified landscape from the MPB, especially migration routes. Too bad the traditional migration routes were not mapped.

Lots of un-answered questions will hopefully be answered.

Big thanks to the volunteers that are involved. Without them, projects like this wouldn’t happen.

J_T
05-28-2018, 08:28 AM
Nice to see a good thread resurrected.

Everyone has to agree, studying wildlife and understanding wildlife needs is a first and very important step to determining our actions around increasing populations, or stabilizing populations.

This study goes a long way to creating base line information for future discussions and decisions.

HarryToolips
05-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Yes. In the early fall.
Good to hear....

Rob Chipman
05-28-2018, 05:02 PM
"Just spent some time clearing out much of this thread of unrelated nonsense"

Nice work, good solution.

Now, about my deleted posts...kidding!

Piperdown
05-28-2018, 05:06 PM
"Just spent some time clearing out much of this thread of unrelated nonsense"

Nice work, good solution.

Now, about my deleted posts...kidding!

Lol best thing about it he gave Island Wanderer another months holiday :mrgreen:

Rob Chipman
05-28-2018, 05:07 PM
"are they planning on collaring the offspring this year"

"Yes. In the early fall."

I'm sure it's tough to effectively collar a growing fawn or calf, but jeez it'd be great data to have in terms of finding out exactly who hammers them (wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars?) That info could lead to something I heard Rinella talk about being tried in Colorado: instead of killing predators on a big scale in the fall, for example, hoping that will increase fawn recruitment the following spring, they're trying to target bears (I think) specifically and hit them hard right around the time the calves/fawns drop in order to more effectively aid recruitment (may or may not work, I understand, but it's an interesting twist on pored control).

longwalk
05-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Being that this study focuses on the southern portion of the province, there is another angle that is not being looked at. When I was young still living at home on the farm in the Boundary area, we always had herds of mule deer in our hay fields. Sixty to a hundred or more. We used to chase them off with a motorcycle before they could flatten too much alfalfa. We always had lots of hunters around, lots of coyotes and bears, but lots of feed for deer.

Thirty years later those those fields are now knapweed and tumbleweeds. They haven’t grown much of anything edible for ungulates in many years. Many other family farms with 100 plus acres that used to grow hay are now in the same position. These were safe areas for deer. They could raise fawns without being disturbed too much and could feed on high calorie food all summer long.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2018, 06:32 PM
Being that this study focuses on the southern portion of the province, there is another angle that is not being looked at. When I was young still living at home on the farm in the Boundary area, we always had herds of mule deer in our hay fields. Sixty to a hundred or more. We used to chase them off with a motorcycle before they could flatten too much alfalfa. We always had lots of hunters around, lots of coyotes and bears, but lots of feed for deer.

Thirty years later those those fields are now knapweed and tumbleweeds. They haven’t grown much of anything edible for ungulates in many years. Many other family farms with 100 plus acres that used to grow hay are now in the same position. These were safe areas for deer. They could raise fawns without being disturbed to

o much and could feed on high calorie food all summer long.

Good point LW!! Invasive plants are a major issue in many parts of the south.

Funny...I remember seeing herds of mule deer in the fields around Rock Creek back in the early 90's. Those fields are still cultivated now but are now mostly occupied by whitetails.

dana
05-28-2018, 06:48 PM

I'm sure it's tough to effectively collar a growing fawn or calf, but jeez it'd be great data to have in terms of finding out exactly who hammers them (wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars?) That info could lead to something I heard Rinella talk about being tried in Colorado: instead of killing predators on a big scale in the fall, for example, hoping that will increase fawn recruitment the following spring, they're trying to target bears (I think) specifically and hit them hard right around the time the calves/fawns drop in order to more effectively aid recruitment (may or may not work, I understand, but it's an interesting twist on pored control).

Some states are targeting collaring fawns shortly after they drop. By collaring in the fall, it could be difficult to determine what has happened between now and then when it comes to mortality. When Alaska put Gopros on both grizzly bears and black bears, they were blown away by how many moose and caribou calves each bear was eating. Wonder what the fawn returns will be come fall?

northof49
05-28-2018, 06:59 PM

I think folks might be surprised how much impact coyotes are having on fawns as well as those that make it into first winter. Hopefully the data might shed some light on that. Yotes will work in tandem to take down does....relentless, not pretty and not quick.

one-shot-wonder
05-28-2018, 09:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ojd51kDh.jpg

Just saw these pics now....eye opening to see what decades of fire suppression looks like. This ingrowth is a prime example document by Seeker....I don't think this was his intention, but interesting anyhow. I am really curious to see the habitat selection and timing data that will be produced.

HarryToolips
05-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Some states are targeting collaring fawns shortly after they drop. By collaring in the fall, it could be difficult to determine what has happened between now and then when it comes to mortality. When Alaska put Gopros on both grizzly bears and black bears, they were blown away by how many moose and caribou calves each bear was eating. Wonder what the fawn returns will be come fall?
Good point, we know fawns are all the more susceptible to predation the younger they are..

Stone Sheep Steve
05-29-2018, 03:57 AM
All of the MU's surveyed in early December a few years ago all had fawn to doe ratios in the 66-68 range. Those numbers are pretty good going into winter. Things can definitely change in a few years so it will be interesting to see what the results are. Having the numbers coming out of winter will definitely help to see what's going on.

SSS

blacklab
05-29-2018, 06:43 AM
I watched a black bear kill a good size fawn in late September, it was playing with it like a cat plays with a mouse.
I didn't get a shot at the bear, but put the fawn down, it wasn't pretty sight.

Wild one
05-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Good point LW!! Invasive plants are a major issue in many parts of the south.

Funny...I remember seeing herds of mule deer in the fields around Rock Creek back in the early 90's. Those fields are still cultivated now but are now mostly occupied by whitetails.

Compared to the 90s there is less of both species seen in the fields of rock creek

The overall deer population there is not the same as the 90s but would say mule deer suffered more and WT doe numbers were too high in the past

LBM
06-16-2018, 07:19 PM
All of the MU's surveyed in early December a few years ago all had fawn to doe ratios in the 66-68 range. Those numbers are pretty good going into winter. Things can definitely change in a few years so it will be interesting to see what the results are. Having the numbers coming out of winter will definitely help to see what's going on.

SSS
Any up dates on this study, all the collars still working any mortalitys yet, any fawns sighted with the collared does etc.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2018, 07:42 PM
Any up dates on this study, all the collars still working any mortalitys yet, any fawns sighted with the collared does etc.

Nothing official released yet. They are working on someway to get the info out...like a website but it costs more money.

I've seen the migrational maps and it's pretty interesting. Wish I could say more but can't...at least at this point.

HighCountryBC
06-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Nothing official released yet. They are working on someway to get the info out...like a website but it costs more money.

I've seen the migrational maps and it's pretty interesting. Wish I could say more but can't...at least at this point.

x2.

They are getting some pretty phenomenal data.

LBM
06-17-2018, 08:56 AM

When you say wish you could say more but you cant do you mean your not allowed or you don't no more.
Can you not post up the maps or is this info private as well.
Thanks.

Gateholio
06-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Looking forward to seeing the results.

And keep in mind that you don't owe anyone an explanation on anything.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-18-2018, 04:07 AM
When you say wish you could say more but you cant do you mean your not allowed or you don't no more.
Can you not post up the maps or is this info private as well.
Thanks.

When the project coordinators are ready to release info to the public they will do.
When they release mapping info it will be done on a delayed system so there's no chance that people can interfere with the deer.

Haven't seen or heard any info on fawns numbers hitting the ground.

SSS

LBM
06-23-2018, 10:53 AM
When the project coordinators are ready to release info to the public they will do.
When they release mapping info it will be done on a delayed system so there's no chance that people can interfere with the deer.

Haven't seen or heard any info on fawns numbers hitting the ground.

SSS
Thanks for the answers, to bad but figured that's how it would be done.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-24-2018, 02:55 PM
There's going to be an update presentation on Monday July 16 at 6pm at the Oceaola Fish and game club.

Beers Deer and Pizza! $5 beers and free pizza!

I believe it's open to all public

https://www.facebook.com/events/446413725820597/

SSS

Islandeer
06-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Great work, I have seen collared does in Region 4 for about 4 seasons now.
Thedistance they travel to winter is phenomenal.

Jelvis
06-24-2018, 09:39 PM
How long in miles is phenomenal? Curious
Jel --

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
06-24-2018, 10:19 PM
Jel-Solly-MON some from Cranny where moved out past Canal Flats. The actual mileage they traveled I am not sure BUT I can say that's about 50 miles by highway. I presume the ramblin' journey those deer took to return to town over rough country was quite a bit more than that distance.

Edit ~ Just wanted to say that these Deer were relocated from Cranbrook as part of a relocation/cull alternative project in that town and that, to the best of my knowledge, the project mentioned here in this thread and that are seperately run initiatives. Also adding that I love Mulies!!! :D My first ever big game Hunt as a child was for Mule Deer in the Omineca region 7.