PDA

View Full Version : 7-02 Info? Valemount Moose Hunt

Chief0887
05-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Hey guys, first post here.

Anyways, I'm just looking for any info in 7-02. Good Moose hunting in the area? Camp sites, or places to set up a wall tent? Basically any info you guys have regarding the area.

Normally we hunt in 7-26 but the last few years we have had less and less success there. So our group is looking to switch things up a bit.

So if anyone has any info on the area that would be great!

BCHunterTV
05-02-2018, 11:23 AM
7-2 ... great area to set up, and I've seen bulls and the odd grizzly about

Wild one
05-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Personally only hunted grizz in 7-02 and would say there is way more then the odd grizz lol. Did not see much for moose but was not looking for them either

Myself I would take 7-26 for moose over 7-02

Jelvis
05-02-2018, 03:26 PM
This is older information butt still there, M.U. 7-2
M.U. 7-2
Canoe Reach

-- Reached from boat from near Valemount, or from Mica Creek Dam in south. Note: Boating on McNaughton Lake is dangerous, due to masses of floating logs and debris.
-- Vehicle access is from Valemount on Hwy 5, via the Canoe Forest road down the east side of Canoe Reach, or the West Lake road down the west side of the reach.
Fair moose and mule deer along these spur roads off.
-- Also Upper Canoe River road runs back to fair to good moose and deer.
Jel -- older info so check recent maps and regs for up to today 2018

butcher
05-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Good place to hunt high for moose. Alder slides off the lake. However there are a buttload of hunters and not a pile of bulls. Can be fun chasing and calling in the thick stuff where others won’t go and you might call in a bear. Challenging to pack one out as well.

Jelvis
05-02-2018, 04:36 PM
-- Another logging road west from Hwy 5, about 2 Kilometers north of Valemount centre forks one Kilo from Hwy -- Left fork is Upper Canoe River road, which runs back to a logging system with fair to good moose and mule deer hunting. Right fork also leads to good moose and mule deer hunting it goes into 7-4.
Jello -- Camp Inn Nello -- good luck inn M.U. 7-2 a rather choice area in these spots above ........

butcher
05-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Good mule deer in Valemount? Good luck with that.

dana
05-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Like the adjacent Region 3 units, 7-2 has been eaten hard by wolves. It is a fact that LEH hunters need to come to terms with. Drawing a moose tag is by no means a glorious event any more. Asking the questions early before putting in is very comendable. It is a beautiful place. I've spent a ton of time there over the years. Not where I would be looking to waste an LEH entry. Great place to camp though. Lots of sites along the lake. The lake can get rather windy so pick your camping spot wisely with a wall tent.

Jelvis
05-02-2018, 06:28 PM
I would put in for a moose LEH in the areas I said above and take a chance at winning first of all, you can't win a tag if you don't buy one first, then if you or your Buddy get's a tag in 7-2 -- hey, your on your way If you get it, go.
Jelvis -- MU 7-02 is a glorious Unit for wildlife and hunting opportunity -- yah pay your bucks on a LEH application for 7-2 moose and takes yer chances -- it's a lottery

dana
05-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Jelly,
Winning an bull moose LEH is easy. Killing a bull moose in that LEH zone is the tuff part. Better odds going to Vegas and playing the slots.

Jelvis
05-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Yah you wood know for sure dana, winning a tag is ezee? Ahh? lol, Killing a moose is not an easy but luck can happen to the best of em.
-- Lotto this weekend iz 55 Million Dollars -- only takes one lucky qweek peeek, and 55 Mil in zee pocket.
Jel -- MU 7-02 Bull Moose or 55 Million? Why not both? Hey win two lotteries in one season.

ratherbefishin
05-02-2018, 08:44 PM
We drew a LEH any bull tag about 15 years ago on kinbasket got a nice bull and then got another LEH Any bull tag 5 years ago, it was a total Gong show, quads and trucks running up and down the road non stop.Never even saw a cow ...I won't go back...we want to go someplace where we can have some solitude,see some animals and maybe even take one

dana
05-02-2018, 08:47 PM
We drew a LEH any bull tag about 15 years ago on kinbasket got a nice bull and then got another LEH Any bull tag 5 years ago, it was a total Gong show, quads and trucks running up and down the road non stop.Never even saw a cow ...I won't go back...we want to go someplace where we can have some solitude,see some animals and maybe even take one

Must have hunted around the long weekend eh? Always the busiest time to hunt there.

Wild one
05-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Yah you wood know for sure dana, winning a tag is ezee? Ahh? lol, Killing a moose is not an easy but luck can happen to the best of em.
-- Lotto this weekend iz 55 Million Dollars -- only takes one lucky qweek peeek, and 55 Mil in zee pocket.
Jel -- MU 7-02 Bull Moose or 55 Million? Why not both? Hey win two lotteries in one season.

Actually easy to pull a bull moose draw just play the odds some bull draws are basically a given

ratherbefishin
05-02-2018, 09:04 PM
We only get about 1 draw in 5 years

Chief0887
05-02-2018, 09:07 PM
So mixed reviews on the area. But have some good info to go by.

Reason why we were looking at 7-02 was its odds and it is within our driving range. Most of our group (3 out of 5) live in Powell River. So trying to stay within a 2 day drive. Like 7-26. Ferries are our big delay... Anyways.. Its also me and my brothers Old mans last trip..Or close to it. 7-26 just hasnt produced recently. We had a group draw last year..And nothing. I mean...Fresh snow every night...perfect for tracking...Nothing. Been getting worse slowly but last year kinda showed us how bad it was. So trying to look into a nice zone for our group this year. Got our 70 year old Dad with parkinsons who is in his last year or so of the big trips. Then his brother and best friend at 68. Me and my brother are the odd ones out in the group being the youngest. 30 and 40. So we are trying to find a area we can slowly start to hunt and get another group going with us.

ANYWAYS...Been doing some looking..There are a few good forestry sites around that area (Better then our normal gravel pit in 7-26) and there maybe deer in the area? I understand Mules are junk but how about White Tail?

dana
05-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Actually easy to pull a bull moose draw just play the odds some bull draws are basically a given

Some draws are so easy to pull but really are a curse if you do pull them. The time and effort to be put in with next to zero chance of success. But that is what residents asked for right? Opportunity! Hahaha

As for that grizz tag, that was one I pulled many times. Sure going to miss not having that opportunity because of backroom deals.

dana
05-02-2018, 09:22 PM
So mixed reviews on the area. But have some good info to go by.

Reason why we were looking at 7-02 was its odds and it is within our driving range. Most of our group (3 out of 5) live in Powell River. So trying to stay within a 2 day drive. Like 7-26. Ferries are our big delay... Anyways.. Its also me and my brothers Old mans last trip..Or close to it. 7-26 just hasnt produced recently. We had a group draw last year..And nothing. I mean...Fresh snow every night...perfect for tracking...Nothing. Been getting worse slowly but last year kinda showed us how bad it was. So trying to look into a nice zone for our group this year. Got our 70 year old Dad with parkinsons who is in his last year or so of the big trips. Then his brother and best friend at 68. Me and my brother are the odd ones out in the group being the youngest. 30 and 40. So we are trying to find a area we can slowly start to hunt and get another group going with us.

ANYWAYS...Been doing some looking..There are a few good forestry sites around that area (Better then our normal gravel pit in 7-26) and there maybe deer in the area? I understand Mules are junk but how about White Tail?

Whitetails used to be good but like I said, the wolves have hit er hard. I'm talking really hard. To give you the perspective. Jasper is just around the corner. They used to have thousands of elk. This year's count, 318 in the entire Park. Those dogs ate Jasper and moved back and forth through the North Thompson. The Blue River units used to be my moose hunting go to spots. IMO There was way better moose hunting in Blue than Valemount. Well the dogs boomed and Blue River moose pops dropped by over 70%. Clearwater was my muley haven. A good educated guess is the mule deer pops have also taken a 70% reduction. Same dogs moving back and forth from Jasper to Clearwater. Where is Valemount? It is on the way. Do the math. It is not good. Not a good spot for a last trip. Especially to go that far. Maybe you need to look at other options.

Wild one
05-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Some draws are so easy to pull but really are a curse if you do pull them. The time and effort to be put in with next to zero chance of success. But that is what residents asked for right? Opportunity! Hahaha

As for that grizz tag, that was one I pulled many times. Sure going to miss not having that opportunity because of backroom deals.

Lots of WTF draws and low odds often go with them.

Ascot the grizz hunt I am more then pissed

Jelvis
05-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Lots of people I have met over decades, prefer moose to mule deer to eat. Moose like water a lot, they need 2 gallons of water a day to drink.
-- Moose don't eat dry sage grass, they eat water plants and aspen and green shrubs and more water plants.
Mule deer eat grass, shrubs and buds etc, don't drink as much water and can walk miles to get a drink, a moose won't.
Mules do have a deer taste for sure, moose is more liked by many who eat meat.
Jel -- Moose are bigger too and give good sized portions of wild meat --- if you don't like the taste of mule deer than I woodn't shoot one.

butcher
05-03-2018, 07:31 AM
I have killed a pile of whitetail in 7-2. Used to be great over by the rifle range near town. Since the bug kill harvest that spot is a moonscape. Those deer are right in town now. You can see them on feeders in a couple yards and on fields with lots of no trespassing signs. Haven’t hunted them up the lake for a while but we did shoot a couple in high country believe it or not. Steep thick crap adjacent to goat cliffs.