PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 Moose leh.

Hunterguy
04-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Was wondering when they are going to announce the number of Bulls alotted and lift the TBD.

warnniklz
04-30-2018, 07:03 PM
To Be Determined

srthomas75
04-30-2018, 07:09 PM
Probably a day after the deadline for entering.

New Bow Hunter
04-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Call Victoria and ask as I was wondering the same thing.

Citori54
04-30-2018, 08:09 PM
My LEH hunt in 5-13 was cancelled last year and the letter I received stated that the government would assess the situation in 2018 to determine if there would be opportunities going forward. Don't hold your breath, if I was a betting man I would guess there will be no draws in 2018, and possibly none in the near future. Hope I am wrong but I have a feeling the fire last year was a convenient excuse to cancel the LEH due to pressure from the stewards of the land.

Hunterguy
04-30-2018, 08:14 PM
I hear yah. Yes heat is probably right but is not from the fires, more like the Canim Reserve!

HarryToolips
04-30-2018, 08:46 PM
One of the best things you guys in the Caribou can do is de-activate roads by any means necessary, to prevent the stewards of the land from doing their unregulated hunting in certain areas, giving the moose a safe haven from the two legged preds at least...that and hammer wolves and bears..

04-30-2018, 11:10 PM
One of the best things you guys in the Caribou can do is de-activate roads by any means necessary, to prevent the stewards of the land from doing their unregulated hunting in certain areas, giving the moose a safe haven from the two legged preds at least...that and hammer wolves and bears..

AMEN TO THAT!!!!

Is ANY one listening.??

Good post Harry...... It sure would help.

gcreek
05-01-2018, 12:05 AM

I agree Harry, Both gates past our ranch are to be locked very shortly giving access only to forestry and ourselves for ranching purposes.

Decision is endorsed by the local Band and Outfitter.

I will let you know how many RHs are at my door screaming about their "rights" this fall.

srupp
05-01-2018, 12:43 AM
I agree Harry, Both gates past our ranch are to be locked very shortly giving access only to forestry and ourselves for ranching purposes.

I will let you know how many RHs are at my door screaming about their "rights" this fall.

I think its a wonderful plan BUT..isnt there always..lol
Do you think It will survive week #1 pickup truck..grade 8 chain and 1986 chevy 4x4...? Just asking..
Wish you well out there.be safe.
Cheers
Steven

WWBC
05-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Fully agree on the de-Activating roads.
Way too much road access and awsome looking habitat with roads on 3 sides.
It wouldn't take much to make to make these areas usable ( survivable) by Moose again.

gcreek
05-01-2018, 07:37 AM
I think its a wonderful plan BUT..isnt there always..lol
Do you think It will survive week #1 pickup truck..grade 8 chain and 1986 chevy 4x4...? Just asking..
Wish you well out there.be safe.
Cheers
Steven

Ironically, the last time these gates were locked, it was the whities that did the bitch!ng and breaking gates.

We have an RCMP member that likes hunting at present and a CO has been posted in Bella Coola again so maybe some enforcement will happen.

tigrr
05-01-2018, 08:15 AM
There is so many choppers flying around counting I think they will have scared all the moose and deer out of region 5. I usually see 25 moose over the winter. This year I saw 5. Last winter 8. Wolves are still taking their toll.
Save the moose shoot a wolf. Wonder how many moose are lost to grizzly's each year around here?
Cougar was following a young bear earlier this week(3.5" pad) but the little guy was seen again so he avoided the cougar.

Keta1969
05-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Is this crown land that is been gated? And when you say giving access is that for vehicles and quads or everybody. Will the oufitter and band be hunting in there? I have no problem with deactivation and motorized closed areas as I believe easy access is an issue and wildlife need safe areas. However if it's crown land and a guy wants to do some hiking and hunting and the effort and work that entails it should be open for everyone. I'm not familiar with where you're at so just curious.

gcreek
05-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Is this crown land that is been gated? And when you say giving access is that for vehicles and quads or everybody. Will the oufitter and band be hunting in there? I have no problem with deactivation and motorized closed areas as I believe easy access is an issue and wildlife need safe areas. However if it's crown land and a guy wants to do some hiking and hunting and the effort and work that entails it should be open for everyone. I'm not familiar with where you're at so just curious.

This road network was built by Carrier Lumber in the late 80's. When first plans were made, all govt. ministries were in support of no motorized hunting on them. Apparently, those promises were on the wind.

30 years too late but finally, there is support to close them off to motorized hunting again. There is still active logging here in the winter, the roads are valuable fire access and to a lesser degree, handy for me to take salt to my cows on the range on/ and or check them. but the gate will be closed to any hunting vehicles year round. Anyone is entitled to walk or ride a horse past these gates but no hunting or retrieval with a vehicle or quad allowed.

Band is in support and they won't be driving behind the gates either.

It is Crown Land

I am in the Anahim Lake area.

Ferenc
05-01-2018, 09:37 PM
With my brother living at 83 mile house I was kinda hoping for something in 5-2 zone A but looks like it’s not going to happen this year to hunt back of his property.

BStrachan
05-04-2018, 05:32 AM
I am hoping for a LEH in Region 5-1 as I have a cabin on Ruth lake. I didn't get one last year but would love to get a draw this year. I have been told by dad who spoke with a few locals in Forest Grove that the moose population has severely declined in that area. Moose or no moose I think it would still be a great trip!

clell
05-05-2018, 06:08 PM
The LEH states
"The tentative number of authorizations for 5-01, 5-02B, 5-02C, 5-13A, 5-13B, 5-13C, and 5-14 willbe available online prior to opening date for applications."
Anyone know where to find this info. I have searched to no avail.

srupp
05-05-2018, 06:26 PM
In the Williams lake tribune paper..governmrnt official stated the TBD would be revealed..a couple of days prior to deadline..

Steven

Rampager
05-05-2018, 07:55 PM
The LEH states
"The tentative number of authorizations for 5-01, 5-02B, 5-02C, 5-13A, 5-13B, 5-13C, and 5-14 willbe available online prior to opening date for applications."
Anyone know where to find this info. I have searched to no avail.

I was able to see the numbers when logging onto the LEH hunting site (where you actually apply) and looking the hunt code up there, and its not pretty...

For example 5-01 Oct 1-14 there were 40 tags last year and 15 this year.

patbrennan
05-06-2018, 11:04 AM
I could not find the # of tags for last year, but did see this year's reduced #s and the ominous warning on numbers possibly changing due to low bull/cow ratios.

HarryToolips
05-06-2018, 02:14 PM
You guys should consider blocking roads up there, they've already tried, and are currently trying, to ruin it for you, so ruin it for them...what do you got to 'lose'..if they can do illegal blockades, so can we...

gcreek
05-06-2018, 08:22 PM
You guys should consider blocking roads up there, they've already tried, and are currently trying, to ruin it for you, so ruin it for them...what do you got to 'lose'..if they can do illegal blockades, so can we...

What part of the "Not many moose left" equation are you missing?

HarryToolips
05-06-2018, 08:40 PM
What part of the "Not many moose left" equation are you missing?
What part of what I said has anything to do with not much moose left?? Are they stopping themselves from hunting moose with a decreased population? I doubt it..

gcreek
05-06-2018, 09:06 PM
What part of what I said has anything to do with not much moose left?? Are they stopping themselves from hunting moose with a decreased population? I doubt it..

They who? If you are speaking of the Natives, yes, they are stopping a lot of sustenance hunting in the past year. The local band even got the COS and RCMP involved to stop or slow down the ones that were selling meat and killing dozens with snow mobiles this winter.

Let’s talk about those entitled whites that think they should be able to hunt or fish anywhere and kill the last one standing... Likely more of them than Native hunters today.

Keta1969
05-07-2018, 01:49 PM
They who? If you are speaking of the Natives, yes, they are stopping a lot of sustenance hunting in the past year. The local band even got the COS and RCMP involved to stop or slow down the ones that were selling meat and killing dozens with snow mobiles this winter.

Let’s talk about those entitled whites that think they should be able to hunt or fish anywhere and kill the last one standing... Likely more of them than Native hunters today.

Not sure if I'm one of the entitled whites(I am white so half way there I guess) but while others were out killing dozens of moose from snowmobiles I've been working and planning for this years legal hunting season. All the hunters I know seem to conduct themselves close to the same way as I do. No poaching, respect for private property, and fair chase hunts. Not saying "entitled whites" can"t be found but in this regard I personally don't know any. While it's encouraging that local bands are trying to slow down or stop the slaughter it's also discouraging and alarming that their own members won't listen. I'm not against native rights,it's an accommodation we will have to get used to. However, rights should not allow anarchy and bands would do well to find a way to control individual band members as all members are been tarred with the same brush(I guess as all whites are by the entitled few). Personally I don' even like using "white" or "native" to describe ass--les as most ass--les I know would be no matter the skin color.

BCMarc
05-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Are the allocations for 5-2 B and C anywhere yet? Was just looking at the synopsis and see TBD. Are they posted elsewhere?

srupp
05-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Are the allocations for 5-2 B and C anywhere yet? Was just looking at the synopsis and see TBD. Are they posted elsewhere?

Not that I have found..not worth the risk? Moved my LEH selection to new area thats not TBD..
Its not so much where..as it is when..imo.
Good luck BCMARC..
Steven

patbrennan
05-10-2018, 06:21 AM
If you log in to apply for your LEH you can see this year's allocations.

05-10-2018, 08:04 AM
If you log in to apply for your LEH you can see this year's allocations.

Correct... that's what I did.... and I didn't like what I saw... We are going to R7 this year

Hunterguy
05-10-2018, 06:11 PM
What were the number of bulls and odds for 5-2 B and 5-2 C.

BCMarc
05-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Not that I have found..not worth the risk? Moved my LEH selection to new area thats not TBD..
Its not so much where..as it is when..imo.
Good luck BCMARC..
Steven

Turns out if you go into the section where you enter in your desires, the allocations are listed in the scrolling menu, they just didnt update the synopsis doc.

With wee one number 2 slated to arrive in the fall, we will be sticking close to home this year so 5-2 it will have to be for us.

srupp
05-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Turns out if you go into the section where you enter in your desires, the allocations are listed in the scrolling menu, they just didnt update the synopsis doc.

With wee one number 2 slated to arrive in the fall, we will be sticking close to home this year so 5-2 it will have to be for us.

If interested give me a call. .regarding moose in region 5.02.
Good luck on new arrival.
Steven