PDA

View Full Version : Fly in Moose

Travalanche
04-30-2018, 06:05 AM
Looking at a potential fly in moose hunt, depending on LEH and a few other things, but I'm looking for any feedback from people who have done this, would be my first fly in.

Anybody flown with Lake District Air Services? Any good or bad experiences? Obviously still being alive is a good experience.

Also, what gear did you take and find you didn't need, and any gear you wish you would have taken?

Any feedback is appreciated!

T.

PressurePoint
04-30-2018, 08:33 AM
I have done a fly in before, it depends if your going to be hunting near the body of water you land on or not. If so, u can set up base camp and have lots of ability to store items at base then do day trips. If this isn’t the case and you are packing, that changes things.

Best piece of gear you should take on a pack hunt it’s a pair of el cheapo flip flops from old navy. They are only like 6 bucks and weigh nothing. Super important because at the end of a long day, it’s inpoetant to let your feet breathe and they are so comfy to let the cool air soothe those rub points. Oh and take a piece of duct tape and stick a 6 inch strip on your gun stock. If you get blisters, u can stick pieces of the duct tape over your sock where it’s rubbing and it helps the boot move better around the sore spot. Weights nothing and is a handy item.

Travalanche
04-30-2018, 08:46 AM
I have done a fly in before, it depends if your going to be hunting near the body of water you land on or not. If so, u can set up base camp and have lots of ability to store items at base then do day trips. If this isn’t the case and you are packing, that changes things.

Best piece of gear you should take on a pack hunt it’s a pair of el cheapo flip flops from old navy. They are only like 6 bucks and weigh nothing. Super important because at the end of a long day, it’s inpoetant to let your feet breathe and they are so comfy to let the cool air soothe those rub points. Oh and take a piece of duct tape and stick a 6 inch strip on your gun stock. If you get blisters, u can stick pieces of the duct tape over your sock where it’s rubbing and it helps the boot move better around the sore spot. Weights nothing and is a handy item.

Thanks! The plan will be to do day trips from camp but have the ability to do 1-2 night treks if required.

Sharpish
04-30-2018, 12:41 PM
My advice is fly in a canoe ..... effortless way to travel and explore compared to bushwacking. Opens up way more area and paddling 1000 lbs of meat back to base camp is a lark. Packing 1000 lbs on your back over the course of a couple days is awful.

Sharpish
04-30-2018, 12:43 PM
You DO NOT want to shoot a big bull 6 hours hike from base camp. That will be the worst 3 days of your life, trust me .................................

decker9
04-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Can’t comment on the fly in moose hunt, but have flown with nicks outfit (LD air) a couple times. He’s a great guy and runs a top notch charter outfit. He’s the kind of fellow that would be happy to answer any of your questions. Worth giving him a call. Cheers.

Travalanche
04-30-2018, 01:21 PM
You DO NOT want to shoot a big bull 6 hours hike from base camp. That will be the worst 3 days of your life, trust me .................................

yup, been there before. Makes for some sore feet.

Travalanche
04-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Can’t comment on the fly in moose hunt, but have flown with nicks outfit (LD air) a couple times. He’s a great guy and runs a top notch charter outfit. He’s the kind of fellow that would be happy to answer any of your questions. Worth giving him a call. Cheers.

Awesome to hear. I have been emailing with Nick, he's been super helpful. Cheers.

Travalanche
04-30-2018, 01:37 PM
My advice is fly in a canoe ..... effortless way to travel and explore compared to bushwacking. Opens up way more area and paddling 1000 lbs of meat back to base camp is a lark. Packing 1000 lbs on your back over the course of a couple days is awful.

Never thought of a canoe, good call thanks.

Everett
04-30-2018, 07:28 PM
Nick and lake district air are top notch outfit. One of my all-time favorite pilots and a awesome BC family based business type of people we as BC hunters need to support.

Blainer
04-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Decide what area you wish to consider hunting, then explore all LEH and the available animals on open season.
Flights can often get you to where others are NOT, but it's not uncommon to see others.
If your in search of a monster Bull, then you have a kick at the can.
If hunting for meat, this will be some expensive meat.
A large Bull will require an extra flight, 500lbs meat and antlers.
For this very reason and the fact that moose are quite readily available up North without having to fly in, I have not focused my attentions on Moose.
i do carry a tag
This is a money hunt, fill pocket with all avail tags.
Lots of LEH available at extremely achievable odds to combine with moose hunt, Caribou, Mnt Goat, Sheep, unfortunately NO Grizzly
Best of luck, certain more information will be provided when you outline an area.
Cheers

two-feet
05-01-2018, 05:56 AM
If you pack light a beaver can take in 2 guys and camp in one flight, and 2 guys, camp and a moose in one flight on the way out. Saves a bunch of money

Travalanche
05-01-2018, 06:05 AM
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I have the hunting part down and understand the costs and know what I'm doing as far as what I'm going to attempt to shoot and how much it's going to cost etc..

I'm really just looking for advise from the people who have sat in a fly in camp in the evening thinking "damn I wish I would have brought...." or "I did not need to bring....it's just extra weight I didn't need"

I'm trying to minimize what I'm taking as far as weight of course, I usually don't have to pack light for a trip as I typically just drive my truck or quad into where I'm camping then hike from there.

Thanks all.

boxhitch
05-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Don't shoot moose in the water
Cheap blue tarps are not water proof, better off with a roll of vapour barrier
manila/sisal rope for building shelters, ladders, meat pole, raft, etc, burns and/or is biodegradable
Oven rack for cheap fire grill
Chest waders

Blainer
05-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Quality Rain gear is priority.
I spent days in constant rain on a Spatsizi fly in
no timber for cover or a fire
virtually impossible to dry gear out
We basically ate upon conclusion of hunt, stripped down and slept. Tent dry, sleeping bag warm.
It was rough

4 point
05-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Don’t shoot a big bull in water! Hunted one flyin trip with a guy who never shot a moose never mind a real big one. I said wait till he hits the shore...no boom 53 incher down in the water with a muddey bottom. Then he says “what do we do now.” I said you better light a big fire cause your going to be cold getting that moose out of there.

albravo2
05-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Cheap blue tarps are not water proof, better off with a roll of vapour barrier
manila/sisal rope for building shelters, ladders, meat pole, raft, etc, burns and/or is biodegradable
Oven rack for cheap fire grill
Chest waders

Damn, somebody learned the hard way.

Well said, BH

two-feet
05-02-2018, 05:49 AM
I thought moose only die in water?

We brought an inflatable canoe, it was awesome. And our fishing gear got tons of use, especially as the plane was delayed 3 days in getting us out.

butcher
05-02-2018, 06:41 AM
In case no one has mentioned yet, try not to shoot a moose in the water. I’ve done this twice. It’s funny for about 10 minutes then sucky for far longer.

tigrr
05-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Don't shoot a moose in a swamp either. De-hydrated meals are great. Search out recipes that are good with high calories because you are burning them hiking. Add water, boil in a pot of water and enjoy. Test the recipes at home first and how to cook them again. Watch as some bags want to burst from food expanding. Bug juice, head net is a must. Nothing spoils a hunt as 50 black flies buzzing your eyeballs. 22 bites in the 15 minutes finding the bug juice. Bug juice with Permethrin. Spray it only on your clothes if there is ticks about, not on your skin(Horse spray). Black electrical tape as well as duct tape, remove the inside core and it packs up smaller. 1/2 a bar of Irish spring in your duffle bag it keeps the mice and chipmunks out and can be used for washing up. 10x magnifier for taking slivers/thorns out, a princess auto store has foldout ones. A re-sealable bag of wet wipes, for those days when it is great to have them.
Oh and a positive attitude.

tigrr
05-02-2018, 07:11 AM
1 other thing don't shoot the moose across a deep stream either. Unless your have a boat.
Don't bring home bones, leave them in the bush.

Sharpish
05-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Last year we had a double header on the morning of day 5. Both moose dead within 30 seconds of each other, both nose to the water, around 8am. 13 hours later they were on the meat pole hanging.

BRING A KOOBOO. Lots of time to kill when you are tired of fishing and napping.

Travalanche
05-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Last year we had a double header on the morning of day 5. Both moose dead within 30 seconds of each other, both nose to the water, around 8am. 13 hours later they were on the meat pole hanging.

BRING A KOOBOO. Lots of time to kill when you are tired of fishing and napping.

WTF is a KOOBOO lol

Sharpish
05-02-2018, 11:08 AM
LOL!

e-reader ... load a bunch of books on there ... you won't regret it...

Bigdoggdon
05-03-2018, 08:28 PM
I thought a kooboo was one of those African noise maker things, cause you know, a harmonica is just too cliche