PDA

View Full Version : Mainline fishing line lb test on mooching reel

Sako 75
04-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Just wondering what mainline lbs test you used on mooching reel? Friend recently purchased a pretty good size searun boat. We want to try trolling for salmon locally off UBC. Any suggesting? I am hardcore fresh water steelhead/salmon fisherman and I used super braid mainline. Have not used mono for years.

MOOSE MILK
04-24-2018, 08:32 PM
I guided out of Sooke for 22 years and used 30 lb. mono on all the guests rods. A lot less fish were lost due to the stretch. On my own personal rod I loaded up with 30 lb Spider Wire and a 6' to 8' mono leader.

boblly1
04-24-2018, 08:50 PM
depending on target species i use 30lb mainline 25lb mono leader for salmon out of Port Alberni out to Bamfield and out in the broken Group. Hali rods spooled with 80 lb braid no problems in a lot of years.

Sako 75
04-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Moose Milk do you used normal braid lines as backing for mono? Just like I used on my centerpin reels even through I used super braid.

tinhorse
04-24-2018, 08:58 PM
30lb main and 40lb leader when I go after big chinook. 30lb leader all other salmon.

MOOSE MILK
04-24-2018, 09:23 PM
Just because of the cost I have a backing on the reel and then the braided, and I use Fluorocarbon 50 lb. leader for the large boys. The stiffer leader gives more action to the lure. I even use it for Pinks and Sockeye as I can hand bomb em in and the thicker line dose not cut into into my fingers. Less chance of tooth cut line.

.264winmag
04-24-2018, 10:31 PM
60# power pro braid mainline for me. Some backing to help fill up the arbor on the islander mr3's, then 300yds of braid, then 35ft of 40# mono spliced in with an Albright knot. Slides through the rod guides like butter. Fishing deep it can't be beat for strike indication and hooksets. The 35' of mono tagged on allows the use of rigger clips and gives a bit of stretch. The 60# lasted 3 summers guiding the first time around, tried 50# next and didn't last as long. Also run 40# fluorocarbon leaders, a bit stiffer than mono, handles abrasion better and a bit easier on the hands. 50# leaders are really nice for handling fish, and gives good lure action but I found too many springs were swimming away with the flasher.

04-25-2018, 08:59 AM
60# power pro braid mainline for me. Some backing to help fill up the arbor on the islander mr3's, then 300yds of braid, then 35ft of 40# mono spliced in with an Albright knot. Slides through the rod guides like butter. Fishing deep it can't be beat for strike indication and hooksets. The 35' of mono tagged on allows the use of rigger clips and gives a bit of stretch. The 60# lasted 3 summers guiding the first time around, tried 50# next and didn't last as long. Also run 40# fluorocarbon leaders, a bit stiffer than mono, handles abrasion better and a bit easier on the hands. 50# leaders are really nice for handling fish, and gives good lure action but I found too many springs were swimming away with the flasher.

This is pretty much what we do now as well..
Braid to 40 feet or so of 40lb mono.. enough that your clip is on the mono... braid is really slippery on clips ..
Then 25lb leaders for winters and 40 for summers..

Braid cuts the water way nicer, since there is less drag on it when the rod is in the holder.. it doesnt pull yer balls outa wack when yer deep and in current.

VLD43
04-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Your post asks about "mainline for a mooching reel". Is this in fact what you are asking, or are you asking about mainline for a trolling reel. Big difference. If it is a mooching reel (ie: cut plugging), 20 lb test line is more tan adequate and a 15 lb test leader. If its for a trolling reel, then I would agree that 30 lb test mainline is probably best. Keep in mind, it will depend on the actual rods action. Is the rod your using a soft, medium or fast action. Typically mooching rods are soft or slow action rods, so they are more forgiving when a fish makes a quick run.

kolofardos
04-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Excellent advice! I hate it when my balls get pulled outa wack.

Braid to 40 feet or so of 40lb mono.. enough that your clip is on the mono... braid is really slippery on clips ..

Braid cuts the water way nicer, since there is less drag on it when the rod is in the holder.. it doesnt pull yer balls outa wack when yer deep and in current.

TreeStandMan
04-25-2018, 11:06 AM
I use 100lb braided power-pro mainline on an MR3, which is certainly overkill, but the 100lb braid is about the diameter of 20lb mono without the stretch, and doesn't seem to slip from the downrigger clip (unless you get your Smelly Jelly, Lunker Lotion or other scent on it, and then you might as well just change out your clip). I always use fluorocarbon leader: 30lb for spoons, bait, or other terminal tackle with its own action; 50lb for hoochies or other lures without action. With this setup I never lose fish due to the mainline breaking, but I still have to watch for pinches or damaged sections on the flurocarbon.

We also have new downriggers this year, so we'll be running big balls (20lb), which should help keep everything straight when those balls are deep ;)

.264winmag
04-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Ya the minimized drag is a huge benefit too, also cuts through kelp like butter without false tripping clip, but I also run my clips buried on the hard setting. Less false trips in general, the braid helps with tripping when mr Chinook is knocking at the door. When they do manage to trip it they've usually buried themselves. Offshore hook ups increased for me I bet 30% once I got the braid dialled in...

Sako 75
04-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Your post asks about "mainline for a mooching reel". Is this in fact what you are asking, or are you asking about mainline for a trolling reel. Big difference. If it is a mooching reel (ie: cut plugging), 20 lb test line is more tan adequate and a 15 lb test leader. If its for a trolling reel, then I would agree that 30 lb test mainline is probably best. Keep in mind, it will depend on the actual rods action. Is the rod your using a soft, medium or fast action. Typically mooching rods are soft or slow action rods, so they are more forgiving when a fish makes a quick run.
I just purchased Islander MR3 no fishing line yet. Be pairing it with my Sage 4120 drift rod. Mostly doing trolling around with flasher and bait or spoon. Still learning through Youtube about BC style trolling. Have not done any salmon salt water fishing for more than 40 years fishing since with my late high school teacher friend. Thanks for all advice guys.

Buddy got some electric Scotty downriggers.

VLD43
04-25-2018, 12:54 PM
I just purchased Islander MR3 no fishing line yet. Be pairing it with my Sage 4120 drift rod. Mostly doing trolling around with flasher and bait or spoon. Still learning through Youtube about BC style trolling. Have not done any salmon salt water fishing for more than 40 years fishing since with my late high school teacher friend. Thanks for all advice guys.

With your MR3, would advise you put a couple of hundred feet of backing on before you put the fishing line on. If you don't, over time the mono will tighten up and could crush or break the spool. As others have suggested, I would run 30 Lb test main line. That sage rod you have is a 12' drift rod. Should be a good set up. One more thing, after every trip on the water, wash down your reel with fresh water. Occasionally apply a small amount of neats foot oil on the cork drag. It will last you a long time that way, and work smoothly without binding or being grabby. Good luck

.264winmag
04-25-2018, 03:43 PM
With your MR3, would advise you put a couple of hundred feet of backing on before you put the fishing line on. If you don't, over time the mono will tighten up and could crush or break the spool. As others have suggested, I would run 30 Lb test main line. That sage rod you have is a 12' drift rod. Should be a good set up. One more thing, after every trip on the water, wash down your reel with fresh water. Occasionally apply a small amount of neats foot oil on the cork drag. It will last you a long time that way, and work smoothly without binding or being grabby. Good luck

Tried everything on them sob mr3's. Got tired of taking them apart every other fricken day to dry off and grease drag cork. Now I just squirt some wd40 in there on the fly as needed. Havnt taken em apart for a couple years. They are a horrible reel when the cork drag is wet...
30# mainline and leader works but you have to keep a close eye on it for knicks and abrasions. A spring on a full out run will part it easily, just with the resistance of the flasher. Been there done that...

Piperdown
04-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Jesus what are you guys fishing for halibut, 25 lb mainline, 15-20 flouro leader. Islanders suck, longstones all the way, dick all maintenance, oh and mooching rules i dont even own a sportsdragging down rigger :)

twoSevenO
04-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Check out ScreamingReelsTV on YouTube. That guy is local and covers how to catch chinook in the chick pretty well. Good for beginners.

.264winmag
04-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Jesus what are you guys fishing for halibut, 25 lb mainline, 15-20 flouro leader. Islanders suck, longstones all the way, dick all maintenance, oh and mooching rules i dont even own a sportsdragging down rigger :)

Ya, just like the moochers at Ferrer. Hog the hole for half hr with a 15#er...

.264winmag
04-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Troll a pile of flatties up also, many in the 50# range, several in the 80-110# range.

VLD43
04-25-2018, 07:23 PM

Agree with you whole heartedly. When you learn to mooch, you learn to fish. Boy I miss cut plugging. Great sport.

VLD43
04-25-2018, 07:30 PM
Tried everything on them sob mr3's. Got tired of taking them apart every other fricken day to dry off and grease drag cork. Now I just squirt some wd40 in there on the fly as needed. Havnt taken em apart for a couple years. They are a horrible reel when the cork drag is wet...
30# mainline and leader works but you have to keep a close eye on it for knicks and abrasions. A spring on a full out run will part it easily, just with the resistance of the flasher. Been there done that...

Your first mistake is putting grease on the cork. I was told by the guys at Islander to use "Neats Foot Oil. I did and didn't have any problems. Mind you, I hardly ever used the drag to much, other than to prevent backlash. Typically you palm a reel to slow a fish down. All said, I have agree with piperdown that Islander reels are not a very good reel for salmon fishing. They work, but a basic shimano reel works as well or better. I ended up selling my Islanders and bought Hardy Longstones(Classics). If I wanted a quality reel in future, I would be looking at Tibors or Billy Pates. Those are both proven offshore reels.

Sako 75
04-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Yes the Hardy Longstone is definitely a classic reel. My late friend had one and also Hardy Ten Ten mooching rod. I am hardcore Hardy reel fan. Got 4 regular Silex and 1 Silex Major. 2 St.John Fly reel and Marquis Salmon No 2.

VLD43
04-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Yes the Hardy Longstone is definitely a classic reel. My late friend had one and also Hardy Ten Ten mooching rod. I am hardcore Hardy reel fan. Got 4 regular Silex and 1 Silex Major. 2 St.John Fly reel and Marquis Salmon No 2.

You are right on the money. I got a Hardy 10-10 blank, and built a great mooching rod with it. Nice slow action blank. My brother has a reel collection that would probably interest you. Lots of Hardys, both old and new, Bogdans, Sage, Billy Pates, Tibors, Seamasters(the reel that Islander copied sorta), and a bunch of others I can't remember the names of. I have handled lots of very well made, expensive reels and can tell that there is a night and day difference with a well made reel. Especially when you get into a strong fish that runs hard. The bearings on the less expensive reels usually either seize or blow up when put to work. Same with the drag systems.

04-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Piper down..... as VLD pointed out, which i missed as wellnas a few... "mooching reel" is a bit of a confused term. If the Sako75 is using it for mooching, something i have near never done...i cant address the line weight..

But since the mooching reel is used for trolling, that was where i went with it... to explain the line weight..
Braid at 50lbs... ypu need that, with braid as we know it is a high tensile strength with narrow diameter.. you need the diameter of around 50lb or your line will be knots in no time....

40 lb from main to flasher is all about me wanting the mono to be in the clip and not the braid. The braid we use is slick.. it pops out of the clip if ypu drop the gear too fast.. and it doesnt matter what the line weight is for this
So you may as well make it big so you dont loose a flasher

As for a 40lb leader... i find with short leaders on hootchies and shorter leaders to teasers.. the stiffness of the 40 puts more action on the terminal gear..

It is not about how heavy of a line a guy needs to land the fish, it is what you are doing with it..

Again, i know zip all about mooching.. i have always trolled or jigged...

.264winmag
04-25-2018, 11:11 PM
Your first mistake is putting grease on the cork. I was told by the guys at Islander to use "Neats Foot Oil. I did and didn't have any problems. Mind you, I hardly ever used the drag to much, other than to prevent backlash. Typically you palm a reel to slow a fish down. All said, I have agree with piperdown that Islander reels are not a very good reel for salmon fishing. They work, but a basic shimano reel works as well or better. I ended up selling my Islanders and bought Hardy Longstones(Classics). If I wanted a quality reel in future, I would be looking at Tibors or Billy Pates. Those are both proven offshore reels.

Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, but I got a few hundred days on the mr3's. I think the biggest problem with mine is they are the ported backs that allow moisture to the cork easier. Never heard of this foot oil, but I'd be surprised if I didn't try an oil that was similar composition. The problem in my opinion, after a few hundred days running them, along with thousands of fish caught with them, is the moisture getting to the cork. Wd40 displaces the moisture and voila. The new TR3 with the flouropolymer drag is likely the answer, but for $900 kick rocks...
MR3 also have an annoying drag creep fishin deep, running a clip tagged to the rigger clipped to mainline just above reel helps, shouldn't be necessary for a $450 reel I agree. Still a quality canadian product with great customer service. I've had both cork drags replaced, and all the bearings once totally free of charge...
As far as playing fish on them when they're tuned up, pretty darn nice...

.264winmag
04-25-2018, 11:28 PM
And FYI, a dozen years or so ago when I got the MR3's Islander then recommended the oil they came with mixed with some powdered graphite into a slurry. What a pain in the arse that was, and messy...

VLD43
04-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, but I got a few hundred days on the mr3's. I think the biggest problem with mine is they are the ported backs that allow moisture to the cork easier. Never heard of this foot oil, but I'd be surprised if I didn't try an oil that was similar composition. The problem in my opinion, after a few hundred days running them, along with thousands of fish caught with them, is the moisture getting to the cork. Wd40 displaces the moisture and voila. The new TR3 with the flouropolymer drag is likely the answer, but for $900 kick rocks...
MR3 also have an annoying drag creep fishin deep, running a clip tagged to the rigger clipped to mainline just above reel helps, shouldn't be necessary for a $450 reel I agree. Still a quality canadian product with great customer service. I've had both cork drags replaced, and all the bearings once totally free of charge...
As far as playing fish on them when they're tuned up, pretty darn nice...

Your statement I have highlighted in the above text says it all. While I fully agree with the idea of supporting Canadian Industry, for the money I would not recommend an Islander. I have seen to many people pick a reel because it's shiny. "Shiny" doesn't mean it's good.

Piperdown
04-26-2018, 03:05 PM
Ya, just like the moochers at Ferrer. Hog the hole for half hr with a 15#er...

Lol, nope, not a chance. Or maybe i could imitate you and leave the boat in gear with the riggers down and have the fish get further and further away from the back of your boat, taking up the whole area :) Man what a great fight. It is the funnest way to fish by far, every take is different, the feel of the fish is amazing. Takes a hell of a lot more talent to fish this way, but if your desire is to go offshore to the highways and drag them up good for you. VLD get back into it, can toss you some pointers might even be able to talk me into parting with a longstone or two as i have 9 of them :) PM me if you want some info. In Renfrew there is maybe a dozen of us that still mooch and there aren't many days when the sporstdraggers out fish us. Its all about the fight

04-26-2018, 04:05 PM
do I sense some "fly fisher vs gear chucker " here? lol.

Piperdown
04-26-2018, 04:47 PM

Naw never :razz:

.264winmag
04-26-2018, 08:37 PM
I guess just a straight piece of bait off a rigger in 30 ft of water beside the kelp is no fun. Gotta have that chunk of lead on the mainline to feel the fish better? Real rocket surgery running a banana weight I tell ya...

VLD43
04-26-2018, 09:02 PM
I guess just a straight piece of bait off a rigger in 30 ft of water beside the kelp is no fun. Gotta have that chunk of lead on the mainline to feel the fish better? Real rocket surgery running a banana weight I tell ya...

Each to his own, but I will say this. Why do you need downriggers????? Downriggers, flashers,hoochies and plugs are all commercial fishing gear. I don't know how many times I have seen the downrigger crowd going up and down the coast in straight lines covering as much ground as possible. The minute one of them gets into a fish, the rest converge on that point, because they want to get into a fish too. Little to no consideration for the person playing a fish.

When I first started fishing, I was in that crowd. I did it for about 10 years and disregarded mooching as getting in my way. But then I tried mooching and was instantly hooked. As I stated before, when you learn to mooch, you learn to fish. As my brother who is a very accomplished fly fisherman, once observed while out fishing with me. He looked at all the trollers and said "what are these guys doing? they obviously don't know how to read the water. The fish are right over there. Learning to fish structure and read the water makes one, a much more productive fisherman, and gives one a feeling of accomplishment. I have never concentrated so hard, and been so fixed on a rod tip trolling as I did mooching. Mooching is about the art of the take. Learning how to present the bait, knowing when to load a fish onto the rod and when to strip. Once a fish is on, its not towing around a piece of plywood (flasher), which greatly handicaps the fish. Mooching you get the full meal deal. I have battled 30-40+ Lb springs for as long as an hour, before getting them to the boat. When your armed start getting sore, you know you got your moneys worth. I fish for the sport of it, and not for numbers. Unfortunately far to many guys on the water fish for "LIMITS" and "BIGGEST FISH". None of needs even one fish, but we are blessed with what was once an amazing fishery. Unfortunately in my opinion, far to many have taken this resource for granted. During a fishing season, I have never taken more than 4 or 5 fish, I have released a whole lot, hoping to have minimum impact on the runs. I always truly respected the resource and gave it great respect. Just my thoughts.

VLD43
04-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Lol, nope, not a chance. Or maybe i could imitate you and leave the boat in gear with the riggers down and have the fish get further and further away from the back of your boat, taking up the whole area :) Man what a great fight. It is the funnest way to fish by far, every take is different, the feel of the fish is amazing. Takes a hell of a lot more talent to fish this way, but if your desire is to go offshore to the highways and drag them up good for you. VLD get back into it, can toss you some pointers might even be able to talk me into parting with a longstone or two as i have 9 of them :) PM me if you want some info. In Renfrew there is maybe a dozen of us that still mooch and there aren't many days when the sporstdraggers out fish us. Its all about the fight

Piperdown, thanks for the encouragement and kind words. I fished Renfrew back when it was all moochers, save 3 guides trolling. It was an amazing fishery. I also used to frequent Nitnat. Had some awesome days. Most of the moochers had great etiquette. When the trollers moved in, it got stressful and frustrating. You get a fish on and some guy with downriggers coming right at you head down, basically ignoring you, because hes coming in to get a fish. He doesn't understand mooching, he has no concept that chances are, the fish in the area your in don't want his anchovy, their feeding on larger bait. You yell at the guy to get his attention, and he keeps his head down and keeps coming directly at you. I would have to end up steering right into the guy to get his attention, and get him to alter course. Completely selfish and inconsiderate. I had enough of those experiences, that I stopped fishing there. Spent my last few years fishing kyuquot. Some of best mooching I have ever experienced, and know one around. Those fish would climb on, and when they finally realized they were hooked, would head for japan at high speed. Pretty exciting stuff. As I don't think Renfrew has gotten any better, I will watch from the shore for now. Hope you have a great season.

.264winmag
04-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Each to his own, but I will say this. Why do you need downriggers????? Downriggers, flashers,hoochies and plugs are all commercial fishing gear. I don't know how many times I have seen the downrigger crowd going up and down the coast in straight lines covering as much ground as possible. The minute one of them gets into a fish, the rest converge on that point, because they want to get into a fish too. Little to no consideration for the person playing a fish.

When I first started fishing, I was in that crowd. I did it for about 10 years and disregarded mooching as getting in my way. But then I tried mooching and was instantly hooked. As I stated before, when you learn to mooch, you learn to fish. As my brother who is a very accomplished fly fisherman, once observed while out fishing with me. He looked at all the trollers and said "what are these guys doing? they obviously don't know how to read the water. The fish are right over there. Learning to fish structure and read the water makes one, a much more productive fisherman, and gives one a feeling of accomplishment. I have never concentrated so hard, and been so fixed on a rod tip trolling as I did mooching. Mooching is about the art of the take. Learning how to present the bait, knowing when to load a fish onto the rod and when to strip. Once a fish is on, its not towing around a piece of plywood (flasher), which greatly handicaps the fish. Mooching you get the full meal deal. I have battled 30-40+ Lb springs for as long as an hour, before getting them to the boat. When your armed start getting sore, you know you got your moneys worth. I fish for the sport of it, and not for numbers. Unfortunately far to many guys on the water fish for "LIMITS" and "BIGGEST FISH". None of needs even one fish, but we are blessed with what was once an amazing fishery. Unfortunately in my opinion, far to many have taken this resource for granted. During a fishing season, I have never taken more than 4 or 5 fish, I have released a whole lot, hoping to have minimum impact on the runs. I always truly respected the resource and gave it great respect. Just my thoughts.

Be surprised how many springs I've caught over the years on just herring, no flasher, off the rigger boat out of gear.
Its the same friggen thing as mooching, just controlled depth presentation. Seeing the take is just as fun as feeling it to me. And on the ebb riggers are sweet to go drag them lazy slabs out the dirt at 80ft off the kelp. Get a lot of springs mooching at 80ft? Or is that not reading the water?
Springs are fun to catch, regardless of method. To say a downrigger takes no skill to run or eliminates the need to read the water? Hold on let me get my shovel for that pile of bs HA. I tie on s couple onces of weight, park the boat in the kelp on the flood where the bait is getting pounded by springs, count out the pulls and I'm an expert?
Fly fisherman, I tell ya...

VLD43
04-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Be surprised how many springs I've caught over the years on just herring, no flasher, off the rigger boat out of gear.
Its the same friggen thing as mooching, just controlled depth presentation. Seeing the take is just as fun as feeling it to me. And on the ebb riggers are sweet to go drag them lazy slabs out the dirt at 80ft off the kelp. Get a lot of springs mooching at 80ft? Or is that not reading the water?
Springs are fun to catch, regardless of method. To say a downrigger takes no skill to run or eliminates the need to read the water? Hold on let me get my shovel for that pile of bs HA. I tie on s couple onces of weight, park the boat in the kelp on the flood where the bait is getting pounded by springs, count out the pulls and I'm an expert?
Fly fisherman, I tell ya...

As I said earlier each to his own. I have obviously touched a nerve here. Anyone who has mooched knows that a lot of the time, big springs will either take the bait very softly or just play with it. Knowing how to load them on and when to strip is a learned skill. Herring off a downrigger is mostly about just waiting for the line to release off the ball. And I would add, that if you are running just herring of your downrigger, why is it you need the downrigger. Fishing Poiler Pass, guys typically fish(mooch) down at 80 or 100 feet. It is a very lite take. Most times you are holding the rod to feel the take, as it is so lite. I will agree to disagree here, but still respect your skill sets.

.264winmag
04-27-2018, 05:01 AM
As I said earlier each to his own. I have obviously touched a nerve here. Anyone who has mooched knows that a lot of the time, big springs will either take the bait very softly or just play with it. Knowing how to load them on and when to strip is a learned skill. Herring off a downrigger is mostly about just waiting for the line to release off the ball. And I would add, that if you are running just herring of your downrigger, why is it you need the downrigger. Fishing Poiler Pass, guys typically fish(mooch) down at 80 or 100 feet. It is a very lite take. Most times you are holding the rod to feel the take, as it is so lite. I will agree to disagree here, but still respect your skill sets.

I understand the concept, but this is also where you're are mistaken with riggers. If you're waiting for it to pop off the clip you're missing a pile of fish. A trained eye can see them down there playing with the bait long before it starts bouncing or releases. It's a learned skill, very subtle takes are what springs often do. Knowing when to stop the boat, speed up, raise/lower rigger or just plain let him have it. I also often drag bait a lot slower than maybe you're accustomed to for riggers. And I have my doubts trying to keep mooching riggin at a consistent known depth and location on a 12 ft+ roaring tide. Slack or small tides sure, but I'd think a downrigger is a bit more precise.

Piperdown
04-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Piperdown, thanks for the encouragement and kind words. I fished Renfrew back when it was all moochers, save 3 guides trolling. It was an amazing fishery. I also used to frequent Nitnat. Had some awesome days. Most of the moochers had great etiquette. When the trollers moved in, it got stressful and frustrating. You get a fish on and some guy with downriggers coming right at you head down, basically ignoring you, because hes coming in to get a fish. He doesn't understand mooching, he has no concept that chances are, the fish in the area your in don't want his anchovy, their feeding on larger bait. You yell at the guy to get his attention, and he keeps his head down and keeps coming directly at you. I would have to end up steering right into the guy to get his attention, and get him to alter course. Completely selfish and inconsiderate. I had enough of those experiences, that I stopped fishing there. Spent my last few years fishing kyuquot. Some of best mooching I have ever experienced, and know one around. Those fish would climb on, and when they finally realized they were hooked, would head for japan at high speed. Pretty exciting stuff. As I don't think Renfrew has gotten any better, I will watch from the shore for now. Hope you have a great season.

Shoot me a pm if you are down this way, maybe get you out there again. So the guides, Orca 2, Strike One and Wg??? Good luck to you my friend

Piperdown
04-27-2018, 06:51 PM

Yep talks cheap takes money to buy whiskey, Quote"caught thousands of fish on them" Unquote. Must need a big freezer for all those fish eh :oops:

VLD43
04-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Shoot me a pm if you are down this way, maybe get you out there again. So the guides, Orca 2, Strike One and Wg??? Good luck to you my friend
Piperdown Thanks for the offer. Will keep it in mind. The guides are as you say. I'm in Sooke, so not to far to meet up. Should get together for coffee some time. Take care and tight lines