PDA

View Full Version : Block vs Bag targets?

ajr5406
04-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Hi guys,

Recently bought my first compound bow and made a target out of some cardboard boxes, old towels, newspapers and plenty of duct tape. It worked well for a while but is pretty shot to pieces.

Anyway, I am gonna pick up a target from Bass Pro or Cabelas this week but not sure about whether to get a bag target or a block target.

What is the verdict: Bag or Block???

Stone Sheep Steve
04-24-2018, 07:10 PM
The Morrell yellow jacket bags are a good value target for field points.
If you want to sight in broadheads, a block is a better choice

last light
04-24-2018, 07:20 PM
^^^This. My thoughts exactly.

Wild one
04-24-2018, 07:23 PM
Block is best

45freezer
04-24-2018, 07:41 PM
I'll 3rd what SSS said...recently started getting pass throughs with broadheads on my block so I cut down a few of those foam floor mats that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, put a few layers on one side of the block and cinched everything up with some paracord. Back to stopping them like it did the day I bought it if not better.

Brez
04-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Best field point target I've found is a large burlap sack (coffee bean type that are used for shipping pipe fittings and such) filled with scrap poly and plastic, like matteress wraps. stuff the sack tight and tie it shut and it will last a couple of years if not more. Keep it off of damp ground though. Bonus is, it's super easy to pull arrows. Tough to find good broadhead targets. I use the shot-out 3-D targets from our club. the ass ends are usually in great shape and work well - cheap too.

OutsyderBC
04-24-2018, 08:19 PM
A prominent guy on scene gets burlap sacks with animals/spots stencilled on. They work pretty good when filled with shrink wrap and cheap.

Yellow jackets are good as are Bulldogs - which you get a lifetime guarantee (They just send you new faces - but a good option) for field points.

Broadheads need something for purpose

greybark
04-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Use a file and take the edge off your practice broadheads for extended target life !
Cheers

HarryToolips
04-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Yep.................

allan
04-24-2018, 09:20 PM
This is good advice, however you will be hard pressed to shoot a block out with just field points

FortBoy
04-25-2018, 09:30 AM
block for me personally

Blockcaver
04-25-2018, 11:53 AM
The Rinehart 18-1 "block with 18 faces" is an excellent target for sighting in the bow with broadheads and taking along in the truck on a hunt to shoot a few arrows a day. I got quite a few years out of my first one and the second is in good shape for being two years old.

The Morrell bag targets are tough. Hang them up off of the ground...for "give" when you shoot them and for protection from ground moisture. I also like to cover it with a bit of a roof to keep them from getting saturated from rain/snow, then frozen solid in the winter (can't use them frozen...too hard on arrows). They sell replacement covers that go over the original when they are shot out...I got my replacement online for fairly cheap.

IronNoggin
04-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Easy enough to make your own bag target.
Simply get an empty feed bag from a local rancher, cut it to size, then pack it full of old clothing (no zippers or buttons!), sleeping bags, waders, whatever. Pack tightly that is, then sew shut. Spray paint on some bullseyes, and off you go. The surface of the feed bag "self heals" as it sits following a shooting seassion. I've had mine for many years now, and it is pretty much as serviceable as the day I put it together.

https://i.imgur.com/aeF0mPT.jpg

Inexpensive, durable, and arrows are a breeze to pull out of it.
This things stops 400 grain arrows from my Matrix 380 at 20 yards cold btw.

You don't want to shoot broadheads at that though or it will be a mess right pronto!
You will need a block for those.
And btw, do NOT shoot your own block with Toxic broadheads!! :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/dIIYJWr.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

J_T
04-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Block is superior to the bag. I've got lots of years shooting a bag. Arrows and tips can get hung up when pulling them out of a bag. Block is much lighter, sits anywhere, easier to tote around and you can shoot broadheads at them. You'll likely need to prop the bag up against something, like a tree and get pissed off when your arrow embeds in the tree.
Canadian Tire sells blocks cheaper and they work just fine.

Blockcaver
04-25-2018, 07:40 PM
If your arrow hangs up in a bag target (mine will hangup since I shoot outserts), rotate it while pulling back on it until it comes out.