PDA

View Full Version : Rainwear

Jackdaw
04-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Looking for some suggestions on some new rainwear for the backcountry. Ideally looking for something relatively lightweight while still retaining waterproof/breathable qualities. Also not having camo patterns would be ideal as I tend to use most of my gear for dual duty in the city/backcountry.

I've been looking at the First Lite SEAK series and the Kuiu rain gear but our dollar makes it difficult to justify the amount of money.

Thanks,
Jackdaw

twoSevenO
04-23-2018, 07:45 PM
If you're looking at high end like Kuiu then Arcteryx is an excellent Canadian option. Superb quality but definitely not cheap either. Online sales can be had for pretty good deals depending on your size. Google "the last hunt" website

oilcountry
04-23-2018, 07:46 PM
I have the first lite vapour stormtight, super light, breathable and dry. Worth the money imo

Jackdaw
04-23-2018, 07:52 PM
@twoSevenO: Ideally I'm looking to spend a little less than what the Arcteryx's and First Lite's of the world want me to spend. After paying for an Exo pack and still having to pick up a sleeping pad and tent this season, I'm trying to save on whatever I can. That being said, I'm interested to find out what people are running for gear in our rainy climate and am willing to commit the cash if need be.

@oilcountry: Have you found any problems with the fabric leaking? I've found a few of my ultralight jackets over the years have given me troubles in sustained rain like we get on the coast

Salix
04-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Marmot minimalist jacket gets great reviews and is a decent price.
I got an Eddy Bauer rain jacket last year that’s light weight and worked well for me last fall on back pack hunts/ hiking. It was on sale 50% off when I got it. They have sales fairly often.

Greenthumbed
04-23-2018, 08:10 PM
I run with the good ol' Viking "Forester" rainwear from Mark's Work Warehouse. It's water proof, durable, looks good and cheap! Jacket and pants for under $200, I think. I've been wearing mine for many years now and still keeping me dry.

mod7rem
04-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Check out Columbia outDry. It gets great reviews and is not as expensive as some of the others. According to reviews, it does not “wetout” like other waterproof/breathables tend to. I bought a jacket last season for the mountains but never hit bad enough weather to really test it.

Treed
04-23-2018, 08:38 PM
Buy it second hand. Keep your eye open and pick up new stuff for half the price. It takes longer but you’ll save a ton.

whitlers
04-23-2018, 09:01 PM
I have been using Taiga gear. Jacket and pants
Jacket has been great but pants are super uncomfortable.

sako75
04-23-2018, 09:03 PM
I see you live in Vancouver. If you can make the trip to North Vancouver to Arctyeryx factory outlet its worth checking out some good deals to be had

HarryToolips
04-23-2018, 09:08 PM
KingsCamo....good quality good price, check out online...

oilcountry
04-24-2018, 06:50 AM
@jackdaw I hunted all october/November with it and didn't get wet once. It's good a breaking the wind too. All the pockets are factory pressure tested so nothing is getting in or out through the zipper. The hood has a small brim as well which helps keep the rain out of your face.

decker9
04-24-2018, 07:05 AM
Iv never looked back since switching to sitka rain gear. Both my pieces I bought lightly used off the EE for about 1/2 of new price. If by chance you guide, or work in a industry that can “promote”, sitka offers a 50% off program (American $). Saves a few dollars over buying it in Canadian retail.

digger dogger
04-24-2018, 07:25 AM
I have been using Taiga gear. Jacket and pants
Jacket has been great but pants are super uncomfortable.

I used taiga for years, when I wanted to get some warrantee work done, they greasily ,said "not our fault, the shoulders leak from a backpack being worn"

I said, you guys are @$&%ed and I'll never set foot in here again.
I use Sitka now, with zero complaints.

Kill-da-wabbit
04-24-2018, 11:02 AM
I see you live in Vancouver. If you can make the trip to North Vancouver to Arctyeryx factory outlet its worth checking out some good deals to be had
FYI - Arctyeryx is a Raincoast supporter.

Harvest the Land
04-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Hands down Simms Guide Jacket (can get it in orange for hunting which is what I have) is the absolute best lightweight breathable completely waterproof jacket on the market in my opinion. I have spent days in the pouring rain with this thing and always stay dry. And for pants I've been super happy with Cabelas rain pants (I think they're Paclite) that have lifetime warranty. They fold up really compact for packing. Go get em' tiger!

Discoverer
04-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Arc'teryx is the best gear for your bucks! Definitely isn't cheap, but worth every penny. Twice a year they give away the promo codes, if you know someone who works there, it may save you a few hundreds ... Factory outlet in North Van is another saving opportunity.

RadHimself
04-24-2018, 02:59 PM
firstlite SEAK.... u wont regret it

Fisher-Dude
04-24-2018, 03:10 PM
I just stay in the truck when it's raining.

whitlers
04-24-2018, 05:00 PM
I used taiga for years, when I wanted to get some warrantee work done, they greasily ,said "not our fault, the shoulders leak from a backpack being worn"

I said, you guys are @$&%ed and I'll never set foot in here again.
I use Sitka now, with zero complaints.

Yeah, you aren't the first person I have heard that from. It seems their customer service has gone wayy wayyyyy down.

srupp
04-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Ive used Cabelas brand for 15 years..jacket an pants still are waterproof..quiet.light..and proven quality..
Cheers
Srupp

Livewire322
04-25-2018, 08:08 AM
I wear an Arkteryx Beta AR. They are hands down the best jacket I’ve worn.
I hunt ducks in the worst weather and come home dry.
The price is high, but you get what you pay for. There are some excellent deals to be had at the factory outlet store.

Buy once, cry once

Jackdaw
04-25-2018, 05:14 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going to go with the First Lite SEAK. I'll be down in the states for a weekend soon so I figure I should use the $800 48hr exemption

hurley16
04-25-2018, 05:25 PM
The thin Helly Hanson. Spent years lumberjacking on the coast in this stuff. Durable and keeps you dry.

Ourea
04-25-2018, 05:38 PM
The thin Helly Hanson. Spent years lumberjacking on the coast in this stuff. Durable and keeps you dry.

Hurley16, I couldn't agree more.
Helly knows wet weather, period.

I am done with paying $500+ for raingear. If you push bush the tendency is for pants to tear.
Nothing pisses a guy off more than seeing his pant legs torn after a hard hunt.

I am on year 5 of my Helly Hanson ultra lights. Got a few tiny holes from campfires.
Other than that, good as gold.
Takes no room in my pack and is 100% waterproof, unlike breathables.
Cheap as chips....well under $200.

bushpilot
04-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Helly Hansen impertech. No breathable but definitely waterproof. Rain gear should be treated like survival gear in that if it fails and the chips are down then you are going to have a bad day. So either shell out the bucks for the high end new stuff, or go Helly Hansen.

mod7rem
04-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Hurley16, I couldn't agree more.
Helly knows wet weather, period.

I am done with paying $500+ for raingear. If you push bush the tendency is for pants to tear.
Nothing pisses a guy off more than seeing his pant legs torn after a hard hunt.

I am on year 5 of my Helly Hanson ultra lights. Got a few tiny holes from campfires.
Other than that, good as gold.
Takes no room in my pack and is 100% waterproof, unlike breathables.
Cheap as chips....well under $200.

When I look at Helly Hansen website, there are a lot of choices for rain gear. Which ones do you Helly Hansen users recommend? Is it the impertec stuff?

Ourea
04-27-2018, 12:49 AM
Not sure what the model descriptive is...but here's a pic.
Purchased at at Mark's Workwear World.
I fully endorse the brand and this particular product.

https://i.imgur.com/ry4O4La.jpg

Ourea
04-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Here's another pic of both the jacket and pants rolled up.
Again, no weight, minimal space, 100% waterproof.
The fabric is very thin and stretchable.

If you want to stay 100% dry when shi*t hits the fan .....gold.

I have sat in spike camps during pouring rain and gone to bed dry thanks to Helly.
My Cablela's MT 050 was good out of the gate but is bulky, and gets heavy once the microfiber exterior is saturated....takes forever to dry out.

I would recommend this rain gear as a must have if weight and space is an issue.

https://i.imgur.com/7lO5Gc1.jpg

hurley16
04-27-2018, 10:31 PM
You gotter Ourea. I've put this stuff to test and it has never disappointed me at work or play. If it tears then i stitch up with floss or backing and a few dabs of shoe goo and I'm good to go.

boxhitch
04-28-2018, 05:57 AM
Impertech is great and cheap.
If you have the space, carry two sets cuz coming into camp after a heated hike the inside will be wet from collected vapour, and it is nice to have a dry set with dry layers at the end of the day

Elkaddict
04-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Popped into Eddie Bauer today on a whim. 40% off the entire store. They have a jacket called the Cloud Cap. 2.5 layer waterproof breathable material. Hip length, good waterproof zipper plus huge pit zips. Packs up to almost nothing. Seems to be pretty much what you were looking for OP. 77 bucks with the discount. I went on-line to look when I got home and they have a compatible pant as well, although I didn't see them when I was in there. They have a Cloud Cap Stretch jacket as well. Nicer material but packs down pretty much the same. 30 or 40 bucks more.

Sale ends today. If you haven't gotten some Hellys already you could always order on-line to take advantage of that, then take 'me back if it's not what you are after. Lightweight and very packable but not very quiet, if that is a concern.

I know there are a couple guys here who wear the Guide Pro Pants hunting. Good deal on them with the 40% off. Nice pant for 60 bucks

Stone C. Killer
04-30-2018, 04:28 PM
Impertec is good but be aware is DOES have seams that are not TAPED especially in the CROTCH area. This means when your sitting driving your QUAD you WILL GET WET BALLS!

Stone C. Killer
04-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Having said that I prefer kuiu

mmckimmi
04-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Having said that I prefer kuiu

Which Kuiu jacket do you have?

RackStar
04-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Another vote for HH impertec

aka my Vancouver tuxedo.
Spent hundreds of misserable days In this gear. Layered with some nice wool clothing your set!

i jumped on the kuiu bandwagon years ago. I always rock my kuiu jacket and HH bib pants. Not a fan of the kuiu pants... heck I’m not even a fan of the jacket but I’m stuck with It. Will be going to a Arc’teryx jacket once this one wears out one day. Kuiu Nailed it with marketing. That’s about it.

boxhitch
04-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Any reviews of Taiga Works Dryshell Pro? and fit of their products?
Have heard good things as to waterproof/breathable but am leery of an XL jacket that only fits a 47" chest

Stone C. Killer
04-30-2018, 07:37 PM
I do believe I have the chugach jacket and pants

Stone C. Killer
04-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Also I just picked up a fallraven gortex jacket a couple months ago. much quieter/comfortable than the arcterx and kuiu. haven't fully tested it yet but i doubt it will disappoint.

jlirot
04-30-2018, 08:48 PM
I love my LL Bean stuff. Price is right. Nearly unlimited warranty. After you buy something they keep sending 20% off coupons. You can save a lot of $ if you shop the sale page and then take 20% off.

Frosty
04-30-2018, 09:20 PM
Both Helly Hansen and Arcteryx support Raincoast and Pacificwild and I'm sure more. Both groups are heavily invested and interested in shutting down hunting. I'm not trying to say what to buy or not buy......

But there is a good handful of companies that make great gear that support hunting.

Ourea
04-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Both Helly Hansen and Arcteryx support Raincoast and Pacificwild and I'm sure more. Both groups are heavily invested and interested in shutting down hunting. I'm not trying to say what to buy or not buy......

But there is a good handful of companies that make great gear that support hunting.

Thanks for this Frosty, I do struggle that this is accurate however.
Share Specific details that may sway any support.
Helly is a main stay in the forestry and fishing industries....my guiding buddies live in this shit.

Please share.

Frosty
05-01-2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks for this Frosty, I do struggle that this is accurate however.
Share Specific details that may sway any support.
Helly is a main stay in the forestry and fishing industries....my guiding buddies live in this shit.

Please share.

https://pacificwild.org/about/partners-sponsors-and-supporters

https://www.raincoast.org/sponsors/

jennylyyy
05-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Also I just picked up a fallraven gortex jacket a couple months ago. much quieter/comfortable than the arcterx and kuiu. haven't fully tested it yet but i doubt it will disappoint.

I second this comment, I had spent half a year searching for rain gear and it came down to first lite, kuiu or fjallraven. Fjallraven has actually been making hunting clothes in Sweden for over 50 years and their stuff is silent and extremely durable. That being said if weight matters, Kuiu's options pack down way smaller but won't last as long due it its thiner fabric. My hunting partner wears kuiu while I'm head to toe in Fjallraven and the weight difference is a lot but you can feel the durability in the swedish brand.

Another tip is brands like Kuiu and First lite often have sales, there should be one coming up for memorial day. If you can hang in there, on major holidays things were 40% off on all those brands, and they don't charge international taxes (unlike Sitka, never buy them online, unless that's changed for them?).