PDA

View Full Version : Looking for golden lab pups

primmer
04-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Looking to get a new golden lab pup ASAP anyone out there have a lees on anything

primmer
04-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Or even where to look other than a breeder thx

Weatherby Fan
04-23-2018, 05:56 PM
Are you looking for a Yellow Lab or Golden retriever ?

primmer
04-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Yellow lab please

Brez
04-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Ha, someone beat me to it. I was going to say that your head would get jumped on for asking for a golden lab. I have a golden lab (cross of golden retriever and yellow lab) and really like the combo but I don't know of any pups around.

04-23-2018, 08:46 PM
You know what they say..."once you go Black, you dont go back!"

Someday retrievers does yellow i think. And im pretty sure she is a reputable breeder.. lots of people here have had her dogs...

Firstblood
04-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Ive got a someday retriever pup and they are a very reputable breeder, Linda has been part of the CKC for over 30 years. If you want a super hard working american style lab for hunting thats a great place to go and they have some yellows right now Im pretty sure. If you want a chill at home dog you can find them elsewhere. Ive never met an easier dog to train, picks up new skills in minutes and has a one track mind, retrieve.

primmer
04-23-2018, 10:08 PM
Not to big on the CKC price 1500 is a bit out of our budget thx all will keep looking

Foxton Gundogs
04-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Maybe LP1 will chime in, he has a very nice yellow bitch out of Sask. http://www.prairiestorm.ca/.
As far as prices go Primmer, the purchase price is the least you will spend over the lifetime of your dog. There is a reason we as breeders charge more than pet store puppies. Hips, elbows, eyes, and genetic testing doesn't come cheap to be sure you wont be running into huge vet expenses down the road, or worse yet having to put the family dog down at 4 or 5 due to a genetic problem. One vet trip can eat up the difference between a "cheap dog" and and a registered health tested one.

Discoverer
04-24-2018, 12:16 PM
+ 100 this ^ If you can't afford $1500 (which is VERY reasonable btw) - DO NOT BUY A DOG!

kootenaihunter
04-24-2018, 12:36 PM
as someone who has spent over $4000 on a pound dog, I will be buying a registered bred purebred dog in the future! I could almost have had two partially trained GSPs for that price!

04-24-2018, 12:36 PM
or go rescue one from the spca

RyoTHC
04-24-2018, 12:37 PM
I'll jump on and third this motion... You're asking for alot of trouble looking for a specific breed and not wanting to pay the bottom of the "fair market value". Ask yourself why would someone with healthy quality animals low-ball themselves after investing the time energy and money... First.shots, vetvisits leash collar etc quickly add up to hundreds probably puppy.

primmer
04-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Funny guy BTW don’t buy a dog Thx for the helpful info

primmer
04-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Brez
04-24-2018, 05:04 PM
I paid $100 for a "Golden Retriever" a few years back. The folks owned both the sire and dame. I suspect the sire took a road trip one day and a collie type visited. Anyway, she turned out great; beautiful, loving, obedient, best bird nose I've ever seen but lasted for 6 years in the field till her hips kept her home and had to put her down when she was 9.
https://i.imgur.com/1Z9lRuv.jpg.
Boght another $100 dog Golden/Lab cross and not got Casey's nose but he can still find a pheasant where lots others have already hunted with their pointers and black 9 labs. He's 9 now and I can see he's slowing just a tad.
https://i.imgur.com/6o74JEK.jpg.
Here they both are passing the torch as it were...

https://i.imgur.com/LhytR7X.jpg

If you are going to pay $100 you take your chances. Helps if you know the people. My son bought a pure bred field springer and it looks like he'll blow the doors off of my dog

Foxton Gundogs
04-24-2018, 06:21 PM
As you can see by Brez's first pic, pure bred isn't necessarily PUREBRED, If they don't have the pedigree and the papers it it isn't purebred under the law. Glad your "golden" worked out for you Brez. I breed Field Bred Springers and Goldens and my family bred Labs for years before that. My Springers will out preform any retriever I have ever hunted with(mine included) in the uplands and they do an admirable job as non slip retrievers as well. If you want inexpensive, they can be had IF you watch and are lucky. My little Springer male went over 2 7' fences and bred my wife's Golden in her run. The pups were all black and curly but they are hunting/retrieving machines. Both sire and dam were OFA and genetic tested, and from FTC bloodlines. I sold the pups for $250 under a spay/neuter contract. there are deals out there but do your homework and be patient.

primmer
04-24-2018, 06:48 PM

Brez
04-24-2018, 06:59 PM

??? Oh, well. At least we got some good dog stories.

Foxton, I would dearly have loved to get a gander at those Golden spaniels! I don't have the energy for a spaniel any more. I am starting to look for a successor to Tucker. No hurry, but I figure if I get one while he's still around he can pass on some stuff that he's learned.

Rhyno
04-24-2018, 07:39 PM

13 posts and 3 of them are the same. If you don't want peoples opinion why bother asking. I bought a $50 dollar lab/ collie cross, neurotic as hell but been super healthy and a great family dog, obivously you are not prepared to pay the price of a reputable breeder so fire up kijiji.

primmer
04-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Thx Rhinoceros http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/ab7547f9-271d-4534-a477-27f1b82a77e7

Firstblood
04-24-2018, 11:26 PM
Buddy of mine didnt want to pay for a good certified pup, 4 years old blew both acl, hips were ****ed, couldnt be trained, I could have told him from day one the dog looked like dobby from HP and wasnt no papered dog....(never got the papers he was "promised". Your choice, $10,000 to save a dog you are attached to and love or pay for a dog that works. Its the sad reality of working dogs, they are a machine, they need to be treated as such working machines capable of incredible things.

moosinaround
04-25-2018, 03:58 AM
+ 100 this ^ If you can't afford $1500 (which is VERY reasonable btw) - DO NOT BUY A DOG!
disagree, who are you, and why would you even say this? Moosin

Modeltwelve
04-25-2018, 05:40 AM
Thx Rhinoceros http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/ab7547f9-271d-4534-a477-27f1b82a77e7

You asked for advise and you don't like it. Time for you piss off troll.

labguy
04-25-2018, 05:49 AM

Ill respond to this. Ethical breeding requires a number of tests to help insure that genetic defects won't be passed on to the pups......all costs money. Many people breeding will, for various reasons, use a side by side AI prodeecure which requires analysis of semen and progesterone tests......more money.

Ethical breeders will insure that the parents are a suitable match. This means that the characteristics being passed on to the offspring are of desirable quality. They insure that inbreeding doesn't occur. This requires having at least a 3 generation pedigree on each parent to know the ancestors and any potential problems and base breeding decisions partly on this.

Whelping does not always go well. Sometimes veterinary intervention is required again costing money. Sometimes the pups die or the bitch gets blocked up....lots of things can and do go wrong.

Registration of pups with an accredited data base such as CKC and having purebred registration accompany each pup again costs money. This is necessary for the breeding of future generations...again to help insure health and quality characteristics.

Paying for the stud dogs services is another cost. Ethical breeders will insure genetic and health suitability and search out a qualified stud. This costs money. Good studs aren't free.

Generally at least four pups need to be born to break even in the costs for ethical breeding. After that if nothing else goes wrong there is profit to be had.

You can argue all the back woods, hillbilly logic you want that none of this is necessary and indeed it isn't if you don't give a rats ass about ethics. Go to your kijiji and buy that 200 or 500 dollar pup and good luck. As they say, whatever floats your boat.

For those that actually care about breeding healthy pups, free of genetic defects and possessing the characteristics associated with that particular breed.......it's going to cost to do it properly.

The initial cost of a pup is a fraction of what the overall, lifetime costs will be when you factor in food, vet care and all the other costs asociated with proper canine care. An unhealthy genetically inferior dog will cost a lot more at the end of the trail unless you're prepared to keep shooting the ones that don't turn out.

deltawaterfowler
04-25-2018, 11:27 AM
$1500 seems to be the going rate for labs around here... and if you think about it, it's a bargain really. My brother for example is getting a "boutique" Poodle/Border Collie cross and the pups go for $2500 USD in Oregon. Personally, I'd rather get two labs with good genetics and health guarantees than some fancy shmancy cross breed.

Foxton Gundogs
04-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Ill respond to this. Ethical breeding requires a number of tests to help insure that genetic defects won't be passed on to the pups......all costs money. Many people breeding will, for various reasons, use a side by side AI prodeecure which requires analysis of semen and progesterone tests......more money.

Ethical breeders will insure that the parents are a suitable match. This means that the characteristics being passed on to the offspring are of desirable quality. They insure that inbreeding doesn't occur. This requires having at least a 3 generation pedigree on each parent to know the ancestors and any potential problems and base breeding decisions partly on this.

Whelping does not always go well. Sometimes veterinary intervention is required again costing money. Sometimes the pups die or the bitch gets blocked up....lots of things can and do go wrong.

Registration of pups with an accredited data base such as CKC and having purebred registration accompany each pup again costs money. This is necessary for the breeding of future generations...again to help insure health and quality characteristics.

Paying for the stud dogs services is another cost. Ethical breeders will insure genetic and health suitability and search out a qualified stud. This costs money. Good studs aren't free.

Generally at least four pups need to be born to break even in the costs for ethical breeding. After that if nothing else goes wrong there is profit to be had.

You can argue all the back woods, hillbilly logic you want that none of this is necessary and indeed it isn't if you don't give a rats ass about ethics. Go to your kijiji and buy that 200 or 500 dollar pup and good luck. As they say, whatever floats your boat.

For those that actually care about breeding healthy pups, free of genetic defects and possessing the characteristics associated with that particular breed.......it's going to cost to do it properly.

The initial cost of a pup is a fraction of what the overall, lifetime costs will be when you factor in food, vet care and all the other costs asociated with proper canine care. An unhealthy genetically inferior dog will cost a lot more at the end of the trail unless you're prepared to keep shooting the ones that don't turn out.

THIS, sums it up, absolutely the long and short of it. I will not breed with a dog that hasn't 1-passed all its genetic tests(Hips- $125, Eyes- $75, DNA testing $475US) 2- Proves the dog is worthy of breeding (temperament, working ability) that is 3 years of hurry up and wait, looking after and training that may or may not pan out. 3-Stud fee- $1000-$1500, 4 Ultra sound for the bitch, Registration and health care and shots for the pups $100-$200(each). Basic training of the pups(socialization, gun break, retrieving, and house training) Believe me we do it for love NOT money.

moosinaround
04-25-2018, 07:24 PM
I suppose I did not "interpret" what you were saying. I've had a few good dogs, non purebred by CKC rules, but from non registered purbreds? All pets so to speak, they did accompany me in the woods as I did my job, so I called them working dogs. $400 is the most I payed for my golden, and my black lab, each. So when you say $1500, I'm like, whoa dude, my dogs were beauties, and my golden was a crazy hard working intelligent dog! I understand your guys passion, and I respect your ethics, but not everyone can afford that kind of $$$, so they shouldn't have them? Anyways, again, I respect your guys passion, ethics, and commitment to your breeds! Moosin

Firstblood
04-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Ill add in one point that most people don't think about. For every dog that is picked up off a "backyard breeder" another 5 end up getting returned or sent to the pound because of health issues, temperament and irresponsible owners. Responsible breeding cost money, we owe it to the dogs we love and respect and trust as hard working hunting partners, service dogs or working dogs in general. Responsible breeding isn't just about a dog that performs, its about the respect for the animals and their health.

pnbrock
04-25-2018, 10:44 PM
This will teach you for posting about dogs on this site !!

Brez
04-26-2018, 05:42 AM
This will teach you for posting about dogs on this site !!
I believe that everyone was respectful and posted information to help the OP. Only lesson here was If you ask a question prepare to get an answer, and it may not be the one you are looking for.

Discoverer
04-26-2018, 11:06 AM

I am the breeder and I know exactly how much it cost to produce and train a working dog.
Yes, you can get lucky with $100 - $400 pup, but the odds aren’t in your favor. The unfortunate reality is most of these over the fence crossbreed will have either the health issues, unsuitable aptitude or behavior problems that you as the new owner will have to deal with. And that “dealing” isn’t cheap, and obviously people who buy a dog on a small budget at a first place are not prepared to spend thousands (sometimes even tens of thousands) dollars on puppy classes, trainers, vets, medication, etc.
So where this puppy will end up? Farmer's land if they are lucky, but most in shelters and 90% of those will be euthanized within first 2 years and it’s not my guess, this is an official statistic. That’s why I said if you cannot afford $1500, don’t buy a dog or you’ll be very sorry (or play the Russian roulette if you are feeling lucky … )

tadpole
04-27-2018, 07:03 AM
I am the breeder and I know exactly how much it cost to produce and train a working dog.
Yes, you can get lucky with $100 - $400 pup, but the odds aren’t in your favor. The unfortunate reality is most of these over the fence crossbreed will have either the health issues, unsuitable aptitude or behavior problems that you as the new owner will have to deal with. And that “dealing” isn’t cheap, and obviously people who buy a dog on a small budget at a first place are not prepared to spend thousands (sometimes even tens of thousands) dollars on puppy classes, trainers, vets, medication, etc.
So where this puppy will end up? Farmer's land if they are lucky, but most in shelters and 90% of those will be euthanized within first 2 years and it’s not my guess, this is an official statistic. That’s why I said if you cannot afford $1500, don’t buy a dog or you’ll be very sorry (or play the Russian roulette if you are feeling lucky … )

That's why most of the rescue dogs are problem dogs, in and out of the shelters. Conflicting personalities and agresion are way to common in a mixed breeds or back yard breeders not caring enough for health and conformation of their pups. There is this smalish so called labradoodle mutt that is bent on destroying my Rhodesian in a dog park(twice smaller than my dog). If my dog was not properly raised or aggressive, this little mutt would end up in a veterinarian emergency long time ago. Way to often dogs display insecurities of their owners.

Kasomor
04-30-2018, 02:41 PM

Thank you... Lab Guy. :-)