PDA

View Full Version : Mag limit?

hawk-i
04-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Is there a semiauto center fire mag limit for hunting big game in BC?
I know shotgun is limited to 2+1for birds, but not sure about using a 10 round pistol mag in a semi for big game.
Thx

todbartell
04-23-2018, 10:16 AM
5 round unless it's marked as a pistol magazine

hawk-i
04-23-2018, 10:25 AM

So there are no mag limits for hunting big game with a semi?

todbartell
04-23-2018, 10:30 AM
I don't believe there is, check page 17 in regs

Drillbit
04-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Not in BC.

AB there is tho.

dino
04-24-2018, 08:06 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Foxton Gundogs
04-24-2018, 08:28 PM
The federal law states that 5 rounds is the max mag capacity for a center fire semi, as you say for big game I assume you don't mean a 17/22 rim fire(which as stated can hold more than 5 if it is not a pistol compatible mag). Not sure why anyone would need more than 5 shots for big game but in a semi, that's all your mag can hold under federal law, so while it may not be indicated in the game regs, under federal law it is illegal to possess a mag for semi auto center fire rifle so long for short, yes it's illegal to posses let alone hunt with...

handgunsMagazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle do not have a regulated capacity. However, magazines designed to contain rimfire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the handgun limit of 10 cartridges.
Example:
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 rifle and 15-22P pistol chambered for 22LR caliber:

the 10 round magazine is unregulated
the 25 round magazine is a prohibited device

Example 2*: The Ruger BX-25 magazine, chambered for 22 LR calibre, is designed and manufactured for use in the Ruger SR22 rifle, the 10/22 family of rifles/carbines and the 22 Charger handgun. As a result, this magazine is a prohibited device unless modified so its capacity is 10 cartridges or less. (*This information was not included in the original version of this bulletin, but was added on 2013-09-05.)

2. Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre rifles and handguns
Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic handgun are limited to 10 cartridges. Magazines designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and semiautomatic handguns are subject to the limit of five cartridges.
Example:
Hi-Point rifle and handgun chambered for 9mm Luger caliber:

magazine capacities over five rounds are prohibited.

3. Magazines designed or manufactured for both centrefire calibre semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles
Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle other than a semiautomatic or automatic rifle, do not have a regulated capacity. Magazines that are designed or manufactured for use in both semiautomatic rifles and other (non-semiautomatic) rifles are subject to the semiautomatic rifle limit of five cartridges

Gateholio
04-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Is there a semiauto center fire mag limit for hunting big game in BC?
I know shotgun is limited to 2+1for birds, but not sure about using a 10 round pistol mag in a semi for big game.
Thx

It’s completely legal for you to use your 10 round pistol magazine in your centerfire semi auto rifle to hunt big game in BC

hawk-i
04-26-2018, 01:51 AM
It’s completely legal for you to use your 10 round pistol magazine in your centerfire semi auto rifle to hunt big game in BC

Great. ...I picked up a 10 round XCR-M pistol mag and it functions perfectly in my BCL 102.

Gateholio
04-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Great. ...I picked up a 10 round XCR-M pistol mag and it functions perfectly in my BCL 102.

Nice...How do you like your 102? Any pics? :)

hawk-i
04-26-2018, 11:37 AM
Nice...How do you like your 102? Any pics? :)

Don't have pics but I like the rifle. I've only put about 50 rounds through it so far. ..it has a Vortex strikefire 2 on it which will easily work out to 200 yards for hunting big game.
I also have a Bushnell AR scope in a cantilever mount ready to go but haven't tried it yet.

Drillbit
04-26-2018, 12:05 PM
That'll be a deadly combo. Nice work!

walnutz
04-26-2018, 01:27 PM
I keep looking at these but have spent a ton of time on gunnutz reading more bad things than good with the 102's.... Seems quality control is a concern mainly. For the price I'm not sure what guys are expecting but I think I will wait for the first few rush orders to be filled then maybe look at one in a year or so when they can focus more on the QC than trying to fill hundreds of backorders. At the end of the day having a non restricted AR style 308 is pretty sweet.

Gateholio
04-26-2018, 01:41 PM
I keep looking at these but have spent a ton of time on gunnutz reading more bad things than good with the 102's.... Seems quality control is a concern mainly. For the price I'm not sure what guys are expecting but I think I will wait for the first few rush orders to be filled then maybe look at one in a year or so when they can focus more on the QC than trying to fill hundreds of backorders. At the end of the day having a non restricted AR style 308 is pretty sweet.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I initially wanted one, so I bought 6 x .308 10 round pistol mags for it, as I figured the mag supply would dry up...

Then they were up for pre order but I had plenty of other guns on the go so decided to wait.

Despite a few pretty vocal guys on CGN, I'm not really concerned with QC. I have 5 or 6 NEA rifles and never had any particular trouble with them, and they get used plenty. While I am certain some complaints are legitimate, there is also lots of internet whining, by people that expect custom grade firearms at Chinese import prices, then complain when this is not delivered. :)

For me, the reason I'm waiting is because I want to get the finalized edition, when they have decided on exactly which parts and design is the best. Also why I'm in no panic is that I have a Macabee Defense SLR receiver set on order, and I'm going to assemble a 6.5 Grendel with it. The 102 is on the back burner. :)

hawk-i
04-26-2018, 02:14 PM
There are some whiners in CGN that bitch about trivial shyt.
I didn't pre-order my 102...seen it at TSE in Calgary hanging on the wall. Handled it, checked it over and bought it....really happy with it so far.
Machining on this BCL is far better than my RPR Ruger.

walnutz
04-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Ya I agree with Gateholio in the fact that I want the final edition once the bugs clear. Not to say if one comes across my hands somehow I wont be the new owner of it.