PDA

View Full Version : Buying Batteries?

Radar
08-25-2007, 10:45 PM
When you next go to buy batteries be very aware of the price per battery, buying in bulk is not always the cheapest, in fact with almost all of the top brands "Duracell, Energizer etc" it is better to buy some of the smaller packs than the larger.

I'd read this recently in Consumer Reports and so today while at Walmart decided to check it out, Hmmm...Consumer Reports was right.

It was 10 cents per battery more expensive to buy a 16 pack of batteries than it was a 12 pack. I talked to the manager and he just laughed, he said he has know idea why it is, it is the way Duracell & Energizer market them, but he was aware it was more expensive per battery.

He said that people are conditioned to think that buying in bulk will save them money and to his knowledge I was the first person to go through the battery aisle and figure out the cost of individual batteries rather than just looking at the cost for the package and thinking buying more would be cheaper.

I also checked out the per battery price on the larger packs and it worked out that there was no savings buying in bulk in almost all cases it cost you more!

Go figure, just thought I'd pass it on and may be help you save money in future.

I know some people are going to say I use rechargeables, I do as well, but rechargeables are not as dependable as alkaline in some devices due to the way rechargeables hold their charge. Give me alkalines for my GPS every time.

Hope this helps someone!

pikey
08-26-2007, 07:55 AM
HaHa. I had this same discussion with my wife at Stupid store the other day.....only it was oven fries.

2 smaller packs together were about 10% smaller than the jumbo pack......but 30% cheaper!

Gun Dog
08-26-2007, 09:09 AM
That's not news. Whether you're buying batteries or oven fries or tequilla always check the unit price. Bigger isn't always cheaper.

Price competition happens horizontally -- between different brands with the same product -- and not vertically -- different sizes of the same brand. So when there's a little price competition between 1.5L bottles of ketchup they end up cheaper than the 750ml bottles. Or the 24 pack of TP is cheaper than the 12 pack.

RiverOtter
08-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I thought the 48 pack of Maxell bat's for $7.77 was pretty good.:-P

RO

ruger#1
08-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Well i got burned, I bought the 50 pack from ca tire for $9.99 still a good deal for alkalines. Not a good deal are the dollar store alkalines.

pitdog
08-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Some of the rechargeable batteries in double A are 1.2 volts not 1.5 . I also found out that using rechargeables in A mag light causes them to burn out quicker.

Gun Dog
08-26-2007, 11:19 AM
ALL AA NiMh rechargable batteries are 1.2 volts. ALL AA NiCD rechargable batteries are 1.2 volts. It's the nature of the chemical reaction.