PDA

View Full Version : Official Recomendations when encountering a cougar

horshur
08-25-2007, 09:48 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Mountain_Lion_Encounter.jpg

Steeleco
08-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I like my idea better, "Click ---- BOOM!!!!" even if you don't shoot it, it won't look at you like dinner!!

daycort
08-25-2007, 09:59 PM
them buggers are even getting thick up here around FSJ. at my brothers farm there has been one hanging around. he is scared to let his kids outside to play. he would probably trade a mule deer hunt if someone was to bring up a dog or 2 to catch that cat. the problem being with the neighbors letting the dogs run on there land.

srupp
08-25-2007, 10:00 PM
My friends had a cougar attack their dog on their porch near Mcleese lake several nites ago...dog almost died..severly wounded...

Steven

K-1
08-25-2007, 10:11 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Mountain_Lion_Encounter.jpgI fail to see the hummer in this,,, offering up a child to save your own ass. Maybe it's just me being a grandfather of 4 , I would fight like hell to save them.

Deerwhacker
08-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Well a thread mentioning cougars..
ill be the first to say i gladly through myself at cougers all the time:lol:,
other than that I like the click boom idea, but hey if all you got is small children then giver.

Walksalot
08-26-2007, 05:51 AM
On the sick scale of 1-10 this is pushing a good 12. Mind you, some might sacrifice his child or grandchild to save his own ass but not me.
I have had to pick up a dead child and fail to see the humor in this.

Brambles
08-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Its a joke fellas, obviously no one would use a kid as a scoobie snack to save is own ass. I've always wondered what it would be like to tangle with a cougar, if faced with the situation I'd give er a go... Put up your dukes kitty cat

BCLongshot
08-26-2007, 07:20 AM
I'd push Lloyd down after taking his rifle and then hide behind a tree and film it.

lololololololol

Walksalot
08-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I realize it is an attempt at humor but these kinds of posts won't win us any friends or any popularity contests.

wetcoaster
08-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Reach down grab hold and pray! I have had several unexpected cougar encounters but one I had about ten years ago scared me so badly I can't even look one in the eyes at the zoo without feeling the hair stand up on the back of my kneck and getting an itchy trigger finger.:shock:

Sorry boys I feel a story coming on:

At the time I was working doing some stream habitat and fisheries assessments for the feds here on the coast. I was within the outer bounds of a local municipality and therefore didn't have a firearm as it was in a no shooting area. At one point I was forced out of the river and into the bush by a series of beaver dams that had made it impossible to wade so I jumped out and was walking in some pretty thick coastal forest along the margin of the river. There was a big old growth tree that had fallen parrallel to the river so I climbed up and was walking along it to get up out of the thick undergrowth. I heard a bear catching spawners in the same place he had been in previous weeks in the river just ahead. This boar had been a nasty piece of cranky business in other encounters so I decided to be pro-active for a change and fired a bear banger off ahead of me to move him along before my arrival. The boar crashed out of the river and off into the bush ahead like a mac truck heading away from the river, mission accomplished (or so I thought).

I walked a total of about five more steps along the fallen tree before a large cougar at full lope jumped on the log I was walking along running toward me. He was looking back and hadn't seen me yet. My guess is he was in the bush between myself and the bear banger I fired off. Between the banger and the bear's reaction I believe it scared the cougar toward me. He turned to look where he was going seeing me; all in the same motion he skidded to a stop crouching like a coiled spring, layed his ears back and screamed and hissed like he was posessed by the devil himself about 10 -15 feet away.

I had a machete and a walking staff and I believe I held these in a threatening pose and screamed for all I was worth right back at him. I say I believe because it all happened so fast and when that son of a ....... let out that scream it curdled my blood and froze me. Something about those eyes ----- let me tell you! I was screaming and threatening but to be honest I am not sure what would of happened if he attacked me because I **** you not I was scared stiff!

Finally after what seemed like an eternity (likely a few seconds) he sprang in my diretion taking a fleeting swipe at my legs on his way off the log and off he went. He hit my boot slashing a hole in the rubber on my waders (there went another pair!:mad:) but otherwise leaving me unscathed! Now the worst part is as soon as he was off the log he disapeared it was so freakin thick I couldn't see hide nor hair of him. Let me tell you it was a long jumpy hike out to the nearest road (Thank god it was only 400 meters)! Needless to say I took a few days off to wash my shorts and let my manhood fall back into place from where it went to hide!

In the time since then I have worked doing several projects where I have needed to track cougars and sign. To this day I get jumpy every time I see a track or catch them on my remote sensing projects. I have more than a little respect for their abilities or my ack thereof when matched against one!

bsa30-06
08-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I'd push Lloyd down after taking his rifle and then hide behind a tree and film it.

lololololololol

Thanxs your a real pal.That cougar would be in for the fight of it's life, i hate those things they are scary , bad animals.

Will
08-26-2007, 10:31 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Mountain_Lion_Encounter.jpg

newhunterette
08-26-2007, 10:36 AM

OMG - we had a cougar in Brookswood residential area that I spotted in the woods close to the playground we took the preschool children - hehehehe now wouldnt the parents enjoyed this sign

when I called the co's about the cougar as we had to put the school in lock down - the co's didnt believe me - the guy I spoke to started laughing and said figures a woman would call in such a story - I got very angry and told him I would take care of the cougar myself as I was a HUNTER - wanted to sound cool ya know - another call came in saying thier dog had just been attacked and mauled by said cougar - hehehehe - I spoke to the Supervisor and demanded an applolgy for the said CO's attitude but also demanded he say it in front of his collegues that a WOMAN knew what she was talking about - the cougar was found and unfortunately had to be destroyed

But the little sign of feeding children would have been a hoot.

Ali

srupp
08-26-2007, 11:06 AM
FIRST you might not recognize a cougar..it is IMPORTANT you know what a cougar SOUNDS LIKE.....it may be as inoccuous as..

" hey sailor can a girl buy you a beer..":eek::lol::biggrin:

Steven

Ive been bad...VERY bad I think I need a " spankies"...pretty sure I do..lamo

Gateholio
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Hilarious...both Horshurs and Wills versions:smile:

:smile:

Will
08-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Yes I found the Humour in Horshur's version.........& Yes I do have Kids and NO wouldn't likely use them as bait while I escaped.....It was simply abit of twisted Humour folks....relax :roll:

I did like my Version better...much Happier ending.
Unless you're the Kitty:|

alremkin
08-26-2007, 03:33 PM
In a perfect world my preference would be to offer the lion sometinhg like this:

http://http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10mm06do8.jpg

peterrum3
08-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Change the words small children to ex-wife, now you have my attention :-)

Dillybar
08-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I found it funny, some of us need to have a bran muffin and loosin up!

The Hermit
08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I kinda like black humor myself... sort of like not having to outrun the bear just the other guy, or the best reason for the buddy system when scuba diving is augmented by carrying a big knife when diving in shark infested water is to stick yer buddy and get the hell out.

newhunterette
08-26-2007, 11:10 PM

made me fall out of my chair lol

todbartell
08-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I found it funny, some of us need to have a bran muffin and loosin up!

x 2 :roll:

I know a few brats that would accidently trip if a cougar came after us

Caveman
08-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Two words.............Mother-inlaw!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

hopsing
08-27-2007, 08:31 AM

i luv mine / can i borrow yours :biggrin:

SHAKER
08-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Sweet! Next step would be to get a hold a good o'l hounddogger and tree that *******. It's easier when they have a full belly!:biggrin: