PDA

View Full Version : Othello exit

walnutz
04-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Can anyone fill me in on what happened to this area for camping?? There is now a motorhome there with a permanent shelter etc..... also private property signs all over. Place looks disgusting. Been going there for years and never seen this before. Looks like a homeless community has taken over. Anyone else see this?

Steeleco
04-16-2018, 09:32 PM
You talking about Caroline mines? That trailer will be there until the company that's in the old mine is finished, could be years. They are taking the left overs from the old tailings pile.

ducktoller
04-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Can anyone fill me in on what happened to this area for camping?? There is now a motorhome there with a permanent shelter etc..... also private property signs all over. Place looks disgusting. Been going there for years and never seen this before. Looks like a homeless community has taken over. Anyone else see this?

Maybe inform RCMP, include the references to permanent shelters on crown land being not legal? I'm not sure the ownership of the campgrounds there. Either way it's not a legal settlement.

It's hard with the lack of resources for homeless in the FV, but motorhomes aren't super cheap either. That being said there's people in permanent "camps" that don't leave a shit-ton of mess, poverty isn't an excuse for slobishness.

westcoaster
04-17-2018, 07:29 AM
There was an incident a few years ago where someone stole a bulldozer up there on a weekend and wedged it in one of the shafts.
Not sure what other damage took place.

The motor home has been at the entrance to Caroline Mine ever since...

Redthies
04-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Yeah, it’s been there for years. And it is an eyesore.

Surrey Boy
04-17-2018, 07:54 AM
I used to hunt there.

walnutz
04-17-2018, 12:35 PM
No this is Othello exit, a couple before Caroline mine. If you take the exit and follow it along the hwy you come to the bridge that crosses the river beside that checkered tower and rite there on the riverbank is a motor home with a shelter built around it. Just looks like S*&^ and there is signs all over the camping area that its private property.

walnutz
04-17-2018, 12:40 PM
I spoke to the Hope RCMP office and they mentioned they think its Native land and they have put those signs up themselves....... Explains the mess and several broken down trailer and motorhomes. Pretty sad since that spot for camping was on the river was always amazing for the kids.

Mulehahn
04-17-2018, 01:21 PM
I spoke to the Hope RCMP office and they mentioned they think its Native land and they have put those signs up themselves....... Explains the mess and several broken down trailer and motorhomes. Pretty sad since that spot for camping was on the river was always amazing for the kids.

The RCMP the signs up? Or is it a Native Camp. It would be pretty easy for the RCMP to determine if it was deeded land, part of a settlement, etc. If not the Laws should be enforced

walnutz
04-17-2018, 01:53 PM
RCMP didn't put up any signs she told me. Wasn't giving me much information other than she believed the area I was talking about was native land they are aware of it and whats happening. To me that meant either they cant do anything about it or they can but wont take the time to look.

Salty
04-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Its people living out of their cars/rvs there used to be one or two well hidden but its grown over winter and now there seems to be several from the Othello exit and northward along the river. Nothing to do with first nations as far as I know. Sounds like the cops just don't want to get involved.

Hillerbillyvan
04-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Ya I was also told it's a bunch of squatters, a friend mentioned something to me like 1 lady was camped there for work and ended up taking up permanent residence then others followed suit

westcoaster
04-17-2018, 10:02 PM
You would be looking for the ministry of environment or forests to deal with squatters on crown land.
I can't see the RCMP getting involved until such time as an order has been placed for their removal and a need for enforcement of that order is necessary.

Edzzed
04-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Would you be referring to http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/coquihalla_cyn/ We drove the Coquihalla yesterday and saw the sign about Coquihalla canyon park.

Salty
04-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Would you be referring to http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/coquihalla_cyn/ We drove the Coquihalla yesterday and saw the sign about Coquihalla canyon park.

No that's a provincial park on the west side of the hwy, not a lot of chance squatting in a provincial park. Its right beside the Coq hwy on the east side, just past the Othello exit you can see them if you look along the river for a couple kms upstream from the exit.
edit- I should say you could see them, the leaves are coming out fast now they'll be more hidden soon.