PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys 2018

Brez
04-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Well we are 0 for 3 on bowhunting turkeys today. Lots of chances, some shots, broken arrows, dull broadheads, and I almost got run over by an overzealous tom. No pics of course because I forgot my camera. I have an double bearderd one that I'm gonna try for. One thing we did get was wet and cold!
How are the rest of you doing?https://i.imgur.com/xxXas7V.jpg

Mstromg
04-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Cant shoot em till they give me some time off work! But looking to do a road trip to finally try out some turkey hunting in a couple weeks. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good area to look?

Boner
04-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Right on, Brez. Keep us in the loop. I have to live vicariously through you since I’ll probably never make the chance to hunt them.

jtred
04-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Had 4 toms surprise me 5min from where I parked the truck.I headed up beside a small creek to get onto an old trail, I had scouted them yesterday to the east but just to the west is a small knoll that gives you a view along the old trail 300-400m. I just can't resist checking knolls like that, although I'm easing along hugging the left side I still have step out and around a small tree to clearly see over the top. Right on the other side is a small creek maybe 6m away and feeding along the trail beside the creek are four toms.We saw each other at the same instant, unfortunately they didn't relish the idea of being someone's dinner. Then it was four hours of hiking, calling, and glassing before I heard the next group. I could not entice that tom away from his hens, even though I think I sounded way sexier I guess three or four hens in view is better than the one not showing herself.
To be continued next weekend.

Brez
04-15-2018, 03:54 PM
My new brainwave set-up is great for getting them to come in. 3 hens and 3 toms. One tom wouldn't quit running in. He ran faster and faster till, at 10 feet, I panicked and turned my bow to shoot but he skedattled before I could draw. I've got the rig on my recurve now so I can draw quicker and not have to right the bow. I had a good laugh as that turkey was on a mission! Wish I hadn't forgotten my Gopro.

Redthies
04-15-2018, 04:02 PM
I’ve got my gear sorted and going to head towards my spot near Grand Forks on Thursday morning.

What sort of elevation are you guys at? Snow level is where?

Brez
04-15-2018, 05:41 PM
I’ve got my gear sorted and going to head towards my spot near Grand Forks on Thursday morning.

What sort of elevation are you guys at? Snow level is where?
I'm low. Snow is low, but I've had them gobble in 2 feet of snow a couple of days ago and my daughter-in-law saw a tom at the Bomby summit which is over 1200 meters.

Noob
04-15-2018, 05:50 PM
I want to hunt turkeys. I live in LM and I am thiniking trying for a weekend, possibly next weekend. Any suggestions or if someone would like to team up?

Redthies
04-15-2018, 07:42 PM
I'm low. Snow is low, but I've had them gobble in 2 feet of snow a couple of days ago and my daughter-in-law saw a tom at the Bomby summit which is over 1200 meters.

My area is around 1000-1100m, but highway cams in the area show not a lot of snow left. I guess I’ll see on thursday. I’ve seen them in the snow before too, so fingers crossed!

Noob: I’d offer to let you join, but I’ve already got a virgin turkey hunter coming along, and a possibility of a second one. If you have wheels, just load up your camo, grab a cheap call, and decoys and watch a couple of videos on technique. Drive east until you get into the bird zone and try your luck. I went solo my first few times, and had a great time.

Brez
04-15-2018, 09:11 PM
I want to hunt turkeys. I live in LM and I am thiniking trying for a weekend, possibly next weekend. Any suggestions or if someone would like to team up?
I'm heading out of town for a while and then I have guys coming that I'm going to help out. Honestly, anywhere east of Rock Creek and south of Naksp is good. There are a lot of good threads and tips on this site and Youtube is your friend. As I said, I'm pretty booked up till the end week of May. I will pm you if I can get an oportunity.

Rhyno
04-16-2018, 05:45 AM
Pretty slow for my daughter and I. Had a response right off the bat and then he went quiet. Will be back at it next weekend though.

Brez
04-16-2018, 08:54 AM
For everyone reading this thread and wondering where to go and asking for help - the Pend d'Orielle river valley is an incredible turkey area. It is small with lots of access and great turkey habitat.. The weather has been crappy but is supposed to clear and warm up. Hunting will be excellent. There are lots of turkeys on private land there. Do some legwork and ask for permission. Most will say "No" but some will say "Yes"...it's up to you to find out who. There are a ton of turkeys on open land. Both ends of the valley hold the most birds, but lots in between as well. Some camp in the valley but there are many reasonably priced motels/hotels in the Trail, Fruitvale, Salmo areas. Choose one close to where you want to hunt. Read all the other threads for helpful hints. This is a totally under-utilized species and the population is expanding all the time. Good luck.

Redthies
04-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Jeez Brez, thanks for blowing up one of my spots! ;).

I was born in Warfield and lived in Rossland for a while, and have always looked at that area as a potential turkey spot. I’m heading to the Rock Creek area this time, as it’s a considerably shorter drive from where I live now. The bird population is starting to really grow from what I’ve seen. Maybe soon we’ll be allowed 2 in the fall season?

Brez
04-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Jeez Brez, thanks for blowing up one of my spots! ;).

I was born in Warfield and lived in Rossland for a while, and have always looked at that area as a potential turkey spot. I’m heading to the Rock Creek area this time, as it’s a considerably shorter drive from where I live now. The bird population is starting to really grow from what I’ve seen. Maybe soon we’ll be allowed 2 in the fall season?

OOOPS, sorry Red. Yeah, I asked for a 5 bird yearly limit with 3 toms in spring and 2 either sex in fall. We have a ton here and I think they compete with grouse and deer browse.

Oh, and another bit of info for you new guys...you don't need fancy decoys or calls. Get one call to locate the birds while they roost (at dusk in evening and before light at dawn) and then you can sneak up or run and gun (which is a lot of fun, but can be exhausting). You can also ambush them as they travel to and from roosting sites. I've gotten way more birds these ways than calling or decoying.

Redthies
04-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I just bring a box call, and I’ll throw my 3 token decoys in the truck, but almost always see them or hear them. I bring my .22 as well just in case they don’t want to let me too close. I’ve had them answer my feeble attempt at a gobble impersonation too. They are a weird mix of smart and stupid!

Krico
04-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Had another great hunt with my son. Saw a ton of birds, they were not gobbling much though I think partly due to the monsoon rains...after a 4 hour cat and mouse game at 60 metres with a small group, they finally presented us a chance to move in undetected to 25 metres and our hunt was done.
I would agree with Brez more often ambushing or run and gun gets the job done. But there is nothing more fun than watching birds either launch from their roost or strut in to your decoy setup!
Good luck out there everyone!

Noob
04-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Thanks for reply and the advice! Sure, I'll be doing research on my own too. :smile:

Noob
04-16-2018, 11:30 PM
Noob: I’d offer to let you join, but I’ve already got a virgin turkey hunter coming along, and a possibility of a second one. If you have wheels, just load up your camo, grab a cheap call, and decoys and watch a couple of videos on technique. Drive east until you get into the bird zone and try your luck. I went solo my first few times, and had a great time.

Sure, good luck to you and the new hunter, too! I've got my slate call and learned a few noises, i'd like to think they are yelps, clucks and cuts... I am tempted to drive straight up to Rock Creek and see what's up. I am not sure if it's wort two nights trip, I figure I'd need a bit more time to survey the area and find a legal land to get my bird.

Redthies
04-17-2018, 07:50 AM
After a 4 hour cat and mouse game at 60 metres with a small group, they finally presented us a chance to move in undetected to 25 metres and our hunt was done.

Where are the pics?????

What area were you in Krico? Congrats on getting it done!

Brez
04-17-2018, 08:35 AM
I chased a big group of strutters this morning. Back and forth on hands and knees (frickin' wet out there too!) within 30 yds of 8 to 10 strutting and fanning but the brush was too thick for a clear shot. Finally, one comes my way and sticks his head up over the hump of dirt and Bang! It dissapeared. Got up and all these big toms stood looking at me. Held off and went to look and there was this little jake, dead in a hollow. Crap! I'd left my bow after having the string catch my jacket sleeve because I'd forgotten my arm guard last night. That was a nice tom too. Sorry, no pics

Krico
04-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Here's the young fella with an opening day gobbler.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/fishmanning/F9773F2A-D0C3-478C-8B03-A78CDFDF884A_zpsbyjnupzi.png (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/fishmanning/media/F9773F2A-D0C3-478C-8B03-A78CDFDF884A_zpsbyjnupzi.png.html)

Brez
04-17-2018, 05:59 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/fishmanning/F9773F2A-D0C3-478C-8B03-A78CDFDF884A_zpsbyjnupzi.png (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/fishmanning/media/F9773F2A-D0C3-478C-8B03-A78CDFDF884A_zpsbyjnupzi.png.html)

That's awesome!

leadpillproductions
04-17-2018, 06:09 PM
Right on congrads

Noob
04-17-2018, 07:26 PM

Whoa, it's a beaut!

Redthies
04-18-2018, 06:45 AM
Awesome. Is it his first bird?

Krico
04-18-2018, 11:43 AM
No. He’s 12 now and I’ve been bringing him turkey hunting since he was about 6 years old, he absolutely loves it. Usually my buddy comes with his son too, and is the guy who got me into it in the first place.
Hunting with young kids is much more challenging (as if turkeys weren’t tough enough) but also more rewarding. Forces you to change tactics and slow down the pace.
I’ve hunted pretty much everything BC has to offer. Turkey is easily my favourite hunt!

Brez
04-18-2018, 01:52 PM
I’ve hunted pretty much everything BC has to offer. Turkey is easily my favourite hunt!

I love it too. We need an increased bag limit. The hunt is over too quickly. The populations can well sustain a larger limit.

Redthies
04-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Brez for Premier!

archerylife
04-23-2018, 11:11 AM
i'm in radium hunting turkeys, only have a couple more days left, haven't seen a tom on pubic land yet. anyone able to help me out in any way would be awesome! thank

Brez
04-23-2018, 11:31 AM
i'm in radium hunting turkeys, only have a couple more days left, haven't seen a tom on pubic land yet. anyone able to help me out in any way would be awesome! thank
Ask the locals. There is agricultural land north towards Golden that wil probably have them. If not, go south. They love pasture land with clover and alfalfa. Many hay growers will welcome you because they eat all the new shoots. If you see them on private land go ask for permission

Brez
04-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Brez for Premier!
Oh, the carnage would be horrendous! Upside is there would be a lot of wolf bait available. On the other hand, even a starving wolf has their limits on what they would eat.

archerylife
04-23-2018, 03:35 PM
how far south should i guy go?

Brez
04-23-2018, 04:40 PM
I'm not familiar with the turkeys over there, but I know they are near Cranbrook and south to the border. I would not doubt they are around Skookumchuck and Premiere Lake just because of the terrain there but I have not been there to see them. Coming all the way from Williams Lake, I hope that some will chime in to help you out. If not, I will be back home on Thursday night if you will be near Trail.

LBM
04-23-2018, 04:46 PM

Sent you a message.

archerylife
04-23-2018, 07:20 PM
thanks, we are defiantly enjoying ourselves still. just nice to get out in the bush!

Rattler
04-23-2018, 09:28 PM
what caliber is your son shooting?

Krico
04-23-2018, 09:57 PM
20 gauge
its a Mossberg 510 mini pump action, 3” chamber with an undertaker turkey choke and red dot scope. Deadly to 35 metres or more with a 3” turkey load.
He loves shooting it.

Rattler
04-23-2018, 10:03 PM
20 gauge
its a Mossberg 510 mini pump action, 3” chamber with an undertaker turkey choke and red dot scope. Deadly to 35 metres or more with a 3” turkey load.
He loves shooting it.
What is the recoil comparable to? My son is 13, but a lightweight <100# and looking for something that isn’t going to knock him on his but lol.

Krico
04-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Recoil is very minor but not sure what to compare it to... My son is only 12, about 90lbs soaking wet, skinny as a rake. Has zero issues. Started shooting it about 1.5 years ago.
Nice thing about this gun is it’s not just got a shorter butt stock - the forend is located closer to the receiver, the length of pull is only 10 1/4”, short barrel, comes with multiple chokes and if I remember right there are stock spacers for the gun to grow with him.
Truly awesome for a young shooter. Just not easy to find. My buddy got one for his son originally and I was so impressed I searched for one - ended up Grandpa found one and gave it to him as a bday present.

Rackmastr
04-24-2018, 08:02 AM

My suggestion is going as far south as Skookumchuk to begin and then even venture down south by Fort Steele and anywhere south of Jaffray.

toad
04-24-2018, 01:19 PM
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/troublesome-wild-turkeys-ruffle-feathers-in-southeastern-bc-community/article37727588/

Akski
04-25-2018, 08:28 PM
Just got out of the Cranbrook area heard one gobbler west of town tried calling him in and nothing seemed to work. Then we saw two hens by Fort Steele besides that went all the way up to skook, from what I've been hearing the flocks are not as big as they use to be in the Fort Steele area best bet is head south and west in the Creston valley. I'm heading there the weekend of the 12th hopefully on some private land.

Went on to Crown land by Radium, Wasa, Warren, Kimberly. Nothing in those areas, but clearly I must be doing something wrong.

All the best with your hunt.

AbbieOakley
04-26-2018, 09:38 PM
This thread has been wonderful to read, turkey hunting is a dream of mine and it’s great to read so much first hand experience.

Rhyno
04-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Just got out of the Cranbrook area heard one gobbler west of town tried calling him in and nothing seemed to work. Then we saw two hens by Fort Steele besides that went all the way up to skook, from what I've been hearing the flocks are not as big as they use to be in the Fort Steele area best bet is head south and west in the Creston valley. I'm heading there the weekend of the 12th hopefully on some private land.

Went on to Crown land by Radium, Wasa, Warren, Kimberly. Nothing in those areas, but clearly I must be doing something wrong.

All the best with your hunt.

Its been a tough year for me, having a hard time even getting a gobble and I have had a fair bit of success in the past. Not sure what the deal is. Saw some birds this am, but they certainly weren't talking.

dak0ta
04-27-2018, 06:18 PM
In the Christina Lake area, where does one go to find the Crown land? I'm assuming the majority of the stuff surrounding town is generally private?

Noob
04-27-2018, 07:29 PM
In the Christina Lake area, where does one go to find the Crown land? I'm assuming the majority of the stuff surrounding town is generally private?
I think newer backroad mapbooks are colour coded so the private land is gray and the crown land is more like yellow-beige colour. At least on gps...

04-27-2018, 09:53 PM

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?110525-BC-government-Google-Earth-land-use-data-file

Redthies
04-28-2018, 11:13 AM

We tried out Santa Rosa Rd, and up Fife Rd and other FSRs off Fife. Didn’t see or hear a single bird. The locals we spoke to were helpful but said the typical “they were everywhere in town last week”.

We finally found birds east of Trail, but couldn’t get an bead on the one tom we found on public land. We saw many on private land, but the owner of that particular acreage has apparently charged multiple parties with trespassing in the past year, so we kept well clear.

dak0ta
04-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Is it better to hike up the mountains and look for them? Or do they tend to come down into the valley/farmland this time of year? It's kinda been a mix of rain/sun still.

Brez
04-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Fife and Santa Rosa have birds. Lots of birds. As does Stewart Creek. Allthe turkeys that everyone was seeing in large groups, have broken up as the toms have taken the hens into the less obvious places. You will have to walk to find them. Still hunting and calling will work. Caution as they tend to come in quietly and will surprise you and then run away before you can get a shot. You have to get out and walk...and perhaps a lot. Look for track in the sand or mud. Ifg the sun comes out, look for hills and bluffs that they will sun and strut on. They can be anywhere from creek gullies to open timber hillsides. You ahve to get out and walk. I find the most productive way to locate them is call just as it gets dark at night. Did I mention that you have to get out and walk?

Noob
04-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Last week I tried Boundary Country. Went all the way to Grand Forks but mainly hang at Rock Creek. As you all know I have no idea what I'm doing. I asked around and one of the locals said they show up pretty randomly. In Grand Forks a lady told me she saw them but that was pretty much right in town. So I didn't see any birds but I met some really good guys who were also after them turkeys so we hang together. No turkeys harmed :roll: , obvously.

Not a bad trip as we discussed some future hunts but really more of a road trip than a hunt.

HighCountryBC
04-30-2018, 06:50 AM
There are birds all over many of the places mentioned above.

I always hunt cautiously in the evening. My goal is to roost them and go after them in the morning. Get in there and set up before they're out of the roost and you'll have a great chance at killing them. They were flying out of the roost as early as 5:20am and as late as 6:00am this past weekend.

Turkeys are extremely habitual and predictable. They like to keep the same routine.

Buck
04-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Last week I tried Boundary Country. Went all the way to Grand Forks but mainly hang at Rock Creek. As you all know I have no idea what I'm doing. I asked around and one of the locals said they show up pretty randomly. In Grand Forks a lady told me she saw them but that was pretty much right in town. So I didn't see any birds but I met some really good guys who were also after them turkeys so we hang together. No turkeys harmed :roll: , obvously.

Not a bad trip as we discussed some future hunts but really more of a road trip than a hunt.

Did the same trip with my son a few years back finally located one by fluke in Rock creek.Got out of the truck to stretch our legs and heard a cobble.I would recommend cruising with the windows down in the quietest vehicle you have.Not living in these areas does make it challenging finding them.

Brez
04-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Did the same trip with my son a few years back finally located one by fluke in Rock creek.Got out of the truck to stretch our legs and heard a cobble.I would recommend cruising with the windows down in the quietest vehicle you have.Not living in these areas does make it challenging finding them.
We locals use the same techniques as worked for you. Obviously, now that we've been at it for some time, we pretty much know where they will be but the fun is finding them on your own. Walking in and shooting one as it comes ou of it's roost is certainly not as fun as searching and stalking or calling them.

Dannybuoy
04-30-2018, 05:28 PM
There are birds all over many of the places mentioned above.

I always hunt cautiously in the evening. My goal is to roost them and go after them in the morning. Get in there and set up before they're out of the roost and you'll have a great chance at killing them. They were flying out of the roost as early as 5:20am and as late as 6:00am this past weekend
Turkeys are extremely habitual and predictable. They like to keep the same routine.How do find where they are roosting ? call them at dusk and listen ? I went for drive last week and had a couple young turkeys run up the road in front of the truck for a couple hundred yards , thought I might check out the area for toms ?

Brez
04-30-2018, 06:17 PM
How do find where they are roosting ? call them at dusk and listen ? I went for drive last week and had a couple young turkeys run up the road in front of the truck for a couple hundred yards , thought I might check out the area for toms ?
Windows down, drive and call every couple hundred meters. Shut off engine while calling. Wait 3-4 minutes. I have had tham answer to my door shutting, sneezes, coughing, shotgun going off, alarm clocks, but try owl calls or gobbles. You can hike and do same.

Dannybuoy
04-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Windows down, drive and call every couple hundred meters. Shut off engine while calling. Wait 3-4 minutes. I have had tham answer to my door shutting, sneezes, coughing, shotgun going off, alarm clocks, but try owl calls or gobbles. You can hike and do same.thanks , I have never hunted turkeys and know nothing but see them running around now that I moved to the WK

HighCountryBC
05-01-2018, 06:46 AM
We locals use the same techniques as worked for you. Obviously, now that we've been at it for some time, we pretty much know where they will be but the fun is finding them on your own. Walking in and shooting one as it comes ou of it's roost is certainly not as fun as searching and stalking or calling them.

Who's shooting them as they come out of the roost?

How do find where they are roosting ? call them at dusk and listen ? I went for drive last week and had a couple young turkeys run up the road in front of the truck for a couple hundred yards , thought I might check out the area for toms ?

Locate them in the late afternoon/evening. Turkeys do not travel far in a day and usually roost well before last light. Sometimes I'll use a crow call to get them to shock gobble but most of the time I stick with hen calls. Once they're located it's pretty easy to figure out where they're roosting. Come back in the morning, set up your decoys and bring 'em in!

Brez
05-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Well my Albertan buddy finally arrived last night...

https://i.imgur.com/kpFe9agm.jpg

Akski
05-02-2018, 09:47 AM
That's a nice looking Turkey, Congrats.

Well my Albertan buddy finally arrived last night...

https://i.imgur.com/kpFe9agm.jpg

Brez
05-03-2018, 11:46 AM
I have to appologize to all who I've tried to give pointers to. When you do something a lot you take things for granted. I forgot to mention to look for and hunt the moist places in meadows, gas lines, and power lines. That is where the tureys will be feeding on the new green shoots. That is where we got 2 toms from the last two days and that is what we have been looking for without thought the whole season.
I will include a couple photos of these past 2 days so that you can see the varied types of country that I hunt. I will tell you that the place we got our birds are a solid 45 minute walk from vehicle. There are easier, closer places but we see no one else and that's how we like it.

A bear's clawing tree...
https://i.imgur.com/OiCqgRul.jpg

A few hundred sweaty feet up from nearest road...
https://i.imgur.com/wnzUCZ7l.jpg

My newest brainstorm, The Pack Decoy, at work...
https://i.imgur.com/GvGle3il.jpg

The tom that we were after and hiked all over the mountain side for and was found at roost back near the truck! His lucky day...
http://i.imgur.com/NLLh0d3l.jpg (https://imgur.com/NLLh0d3)

Brez
05-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Part 2 or something

This morning's "flatlands" hunting location...
https://i.imgur.com/wvU6yzEl.jpg

This morning result, shooter and caller, and oh, I used my Back Pack Decoy!...
https://i.imgur.com/3sYltocl.jpg

Brez
05-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Oh,yah, so, anyway, the point was that both these toms were taken where the grasses were greener than the surrounding stuff and the roosting one was the only one left of dozens that were there a just couple of days ago but the hillside had dried up and, I guess, the rest moved to greener pastures. Good use of the pun here.

Krico
05-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Great advice Brez.
Nice birds you guys got.
Love the pack decoy!!!

ScoobaSteve
05-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Couple of experienced hunters not so experienced turkey hunters giving Christina lake a try. Send me a message if you're out and want to show us around.

Brez
05-04-2018, 06:55 AM
Couple of experienced hunters not so experienced turkey hunters giving Christina lake a try. Send me a message if you're out and want to show us around.
Not heading that way for a while. My guest will be leaving soon and if you are this way, pm me and I can meet you for a while. I gotta catch up on stuff around the house too.

Akski
05-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Anyone still out hunting Turkeys? Anyone still hearing them or seeing them by Creston or any of the boarder crossings?

A buddy and I are heading to the (West) Creston Valley to see if we can get some lead into a Tom or Two.

PM me if you want meet up or need a hunting buddy, just keep in mind that this is our second Turkey outing ever and first season hunting them.

Cheers,

Brez
05-07-2018, 06:14 PM
I just saw 3 toms in someone's front yard on the way home. Too bad, One had the best beard I've seen in a few years. Looks like the toms are going in bachelor groups already. Should be lots around - at least in the Trail area. Creston is the turkey mecca so you should get into some. Try up along the lake, Sirdar, Wyndel if you can find accessible land. They arespreading out so be prepared to move up the mountains. Duck lake area in the hills may be worth checking as well as corn Creek. Lots soth of Creston but access may be an issue.

jtred
05-07-2018, 07:05 PM
This is my 9th season hunting turkeys here in the Creston Valley and I have to say this has been the toughest year yet, there are lots of the big birds on private but things are not great on crown. I have been out every Saturday and Sunday since the season opened plus last Wednesday evening when my daughter had time and it has been a very discouraging season. Not a gobble, not a cluck, not a yelp, nothing since the first day action. I've been to all of my previous hotspots, I've tried a few new areas, I've stayed low, I've gone high(right to snow line), I have hiked for hours, sat for hours, hiked and called for hours. Nothing. I think the past two winters have really affected the population where they aren't being fed. I'm really not trying to discourage anyone from trying the area just passing on my experience so far this year. Most other years have been a blast, lots of action every time I went out, just not this year. If you get permission for private you'll do well. I prefer hunting where I can't see houses and hear people so I stopped hunting private six years ago, the birds are more wary, this year they seem almost mythical.

300H&H
03-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Listen to Brez he has some great advice.

Still...the easiest and cheapest turkeys are at Costco.