PDA

View Full Version : Retallack Application for Adventure Tourism Tenure in the Purcells

m5wilson
04-14-2018, 10:51 AM
I am not sure if this has been posted, I couldn't find it if it has. I am just wondering what the thoughts are on the proposed application for Summer/Winter adventure tourism for 71,000 Hectares in the Meachem, St.Marys, Grey Creek pass area of the Purcells.

I use this area quite a bit for hunting, hiking and just exploring. Being from Ontario originally, the abundance of open crown land in B.C. is one of my favourite things here.

Link below has location maps, proposal and provides a link to comment until May 13th.

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=54966

Appreciate any feedback as I can't say I truly fully understand how this would affect the area.

Marc

boxhitch
04-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Another commercial profit driven entity bringing more people into the wilderness that wouldn't necessarily be able to get there on their own, facilitating increased traffic and pollution, in important possibly critical wildlife habitat
But relax, its happening all over BC virtually un-checked. The tenure allows them to operate a business, doesn't grant exclusivity
Retallack is wise, they acknowledge the indigens on the front page

Bugle M In
04-15-2018, 12:40 AM
Yup, right until there comes a point suddenly when you start seeing "tourism" signs up that say "no firearms or crossbows".
Seen that happen somewhere else, after someone felt he wanted to operate a "tourist haven" for mountain bikers and hikers in the summer and snowshoe's and cross country skiing in the winter.
And Voila, there goes your favorite honey hole.
I think that is going to be the next set of problems in years to come.

mike31154
04-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Your link came up blank for me. If not mistaken the area in question is near Purcell Wilderness Conservancy Provincial Park. Park is designated non mechanized area but hunting is allowed. Retallac already has a cat skiing operation elsewhere? Wonder what they're up to?

m5wilson
04-15-2018, 07:51 AM
The link no longer works for me either, went back to the source where I got it and it has the same issue. Hopefully back up before the may 13th deadline as I was trying to gain insight prior to making a comment.
Thanks

boxhitch
04-15-2018, 08:02 AM
The link spoke about an app for land use east of Slocan Lake, not sure if it is the same mentioned on their website or another expansion

In 2011, after an intensive four-year approval process, Retallack was granted an exclusive commercial mountain biking tenure on trails dispersed over 1.5 million acres in the West Kootenays. This resulted in the launch of the world’s first guided backcountry mountain biking program.

In 2014, based on the success of its pioneering mountain biking program and another exhaustive and costly government approval process, Retallack obtained authorization to create the world’s largest heli-biking and backcountry mountain biking operating area. The new tenure amendment reinforces Retallack’s leadership position in heli-biking and professionally guided backcountry mountain biking and authorizes an additional 280% increase in the development of downhill singletrack, all-mountain / enduro, and freeride mountain biking trails within British Columbia’s Selkirk and Purcell Mountains. Presently, Retallack is continuing to develop a plethora of trails that will enable customers to access additional descents of up to 6,000 vertical feet via a combination of helicopters, off-road shuttle vans, and boats.

we maybe used one of their trails for a spring Griz hunt ;)

mike31154
04-15-2018, 08:25 AM
I know Retallack as a cat skiing business, but hadn't considered the mountain biking aspect. Never a client, but have driven past their staging area on the highway many times. Between New Denver & Kaslo I think. Seems to be a growing trend with operations that have in the past been winter only.

Sol Mountain touring here in the Monashees have a summer mountain biking & hiking business now as well and they started as backcountry ski touring operation. I've been backcountry skiing many times at the Boulder Hut which is south of the Purcell Conservancy. Heli access in the winter. Not sure where a mountain bike fits in the definition of mechanized?

One of the nice things about the Boulder Hut operation is that you're unlikely to have sledders mess up the area you are ski touring in. I was at Sol Mountain in January and some sledders from Nakusp rode almost to the lodge. Sol borders Monashee Provincial Park so that shouldn't have happened, since it's also designated non mechanized. They had to have travelled through part of the park it to get to the lodge. Tracked the area up big time. There are dorks all around us that don't observe the rules, or even common courtesy.

I guess as hunters we'll continue to be faced with fewer areas to hunt which are unaffected by other recreational users. It's business, the dollar wins in the end and a fact of life with growing population.

m5wilson
04-15-2018, 08:52 AM
The link seems to be working again. There are location maps, none of the areas reside inside the Purcell nature conservancy or St. Mary's alpine park boundaries.

mike31154
04-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Southeast portion of tenure application borders on Boulder Hut Adventures tenure. I wonder if Boulder Hut is aware, not that it matters. Even in summer it's a tough hike into Boulder. Looks like I was wrong about Boulder being in the Conservancy, it's to the south. Lots of urban mulies in Kimberley! On my fall hikes into Boulder Hut to help the owner, there's plenty of bear sign but have never seen ungulates once well into climb. I have photos of goats made ski touring to Mt. Lindsay years ago. Wolverines have been sighted there as well.

04-16-2018, 12:10 PM
It appears Retallack is looking to get into the heli ski business. Stellar heli skiing is also applying to expand their tenure.

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=55079

mike31154
04-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Interesting. The tenure race appears to be on between Retallack & Stellar. Getting to be a bit too much mechanized activity for my liking....

simonvancouver
04-17-2018, 06:01 PM
http://mainstreet.eshore.ca/back-country-heli-ski-proposals-affecting-the-east-shore/

This is what i came up with when i Searched, didnt mention stellar though

oldkoot
04-29-2018, 09:16 AM
If this outfit gets all that they are proposing , it will be the death of the St.Mary's.
Please help stop this from happening.
I am not a supporter of Wildsight , but if you go on their sight there is any easy to use form to sign and forward to the Gov. to voice opposition for this proposal.
Again...please do this...or don't complain when another area gets closed to hunting.

Brez
04-29-2018, 09:41 AM
If this outfit gets all that they are proposing , it will be the death of the St.Mary's.
I am not a supporter of Wildsight , but if you go on their sight there is any easy to use form to sign and forward to the Gov. to voice opposition for this proposal.
Again...please do this...or don't complain when another area gets closed to hunting.
once you get on their site and do your thing, there is another proposal from a US group that wants to take more land from us...
https://secure.wildsight.ca/northwestcomment?cid1=150818&cs=db486134df826f8361df62745eb1b85e_1524942403_168

Brez
04-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Thank you for taking the time to write. This is an automated response to let you know your email has been received and will be reviewed at the earliest opportunity.

For further information on recent initiatives undertaken by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, please visit our website at http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content?id=A90244BA9C1B4BC6A63304C413DB75EA

Sincerely,

Doug Donaldson
Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development

boxhitch
04-29-2018, 09:47 AM
wrote:
Why does this particular permit application stand out among the rest? Virtually all of the interior southern and middle BC is covered by some sort of backcounty tenure it seems, many heli- and cat- operations are springing up all over, with summer and winter operations. Why pick on this one?
The whole back country is under pressure and Gov seems to be handing out permits like candy

wildsight-
We couldn't agree more - far too much of our backcountry is covered in tenures. We submit comments on any significant tenure proposal in our area (generally between Kootenay Lake, the Alberta border, Kinbasket Lake and the US border). For more significant and harmful ones, we often ask our supporters and the public to speak up (as we have here on two tenures proposed in the same area).

Retallack's tenure is a real concern because the area is so large, the use is so intense (summer and winter heli-skiing, heli-biking, etc), and the South Purcells area is still mostly untenured (there are only two, one small heli-ski operation and one lodge and ski touring operation).

The real problem, as you know, is that there is no system to any of this and we have to keep constantly monitoring and commenting on tenures as they come up. It's a free for all. The local Recreation Management Strategy prohibits heli-access recreation here, but that doesn't seem to matter much to government.

Brez
04-29-2018, 10:23 AM
wrote:
Why does this particular permit application stand out among the rest? Virtually all of the interior southern and middle BC is covered by some sort of backcounty tenure it seems, many heli- and cat- operations are springing up all over, with summer and winter operations. Why pick on this one?
The whole back country is under pressure and Gov seems to be handing out permits like candy

wildsight-
We couldn't agree more - far too much of our backcountry is covered in tenures. We submit comments on any significant tenure proposal in our area (generally between Kootenay Lake, the Alberta border, Kinbasket Lake and the US border). For more significant and harmful ones, we often ask our supporters and the public to speak up (as we have here on two tenures proposed in the same area).

Retallack's tenure is a real concern because the area is so large, the use is so intense (summer and winter heli-skiing, heli-biking, etc), and the South Purcells area is still mostly untenured (there are only two, one small heli-ski operation and one lodge and ski touring operation).

The real problem, as you know, is that there is no system to any of this and we have to keep constantly monitoring and commenting on tenures as they come up. It's a free for all. The local Recreation Management Strategy prohibits heli-access recreation here, but that doesn't seem to matter much to government.
Just last year we effectively halted another in the Rossland area. As stated in the Wildsight reply, the backcountry in in a constant state of assault and the governments are tripping over themselves to give out these tenures

oldkoot
04-29-2018, 10:49 AM
I will be the first to admit that, why this one ? is based on greed. This world class area can be reached within an hour of my home,...which doesn't really line up with their assessment of " remote ".

Not sure if it even can be stopped as they have partnered with a local FN band.

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy this area for 50+ years.

The application includes extensive mountain biking and hiking trails as well as lodges. The alpine in this area is very spectacular

especially in the fall when the larch turn their gold color. I can see this becoming very successful. Not sure how awesome it would end up being listening to helicopters thumping through the area

instead of Elk screaming their faces of. I know which I would rather listen to.

This area has a very high density of Grizzly bears ( yes...believe it or not they are not endangered ) and it is known one of the worst things you can do for them is put them in close proximity to people.

It would seem highly likely to me that if successful , it would only be a matter of time before it was decided that much of this tourism business is not compatible with guns going off , and no hunting or shooting boundaries would soon follow.

Brez
04-29-2018, 10:56 AM
This area has a very high density of Grizzly bears ( yes...believe it or not they are not endangered ) and it is known one of the worst things you can do for them is put them in close proximity to people.

It would seem highly likely to me that if successful , it would only be a matter of time before it was decided that much of this tourism business is not compatible with guns going off , and no hunting or shooting boundaries would soon follow.

Nailed it!!

mike31154
04-30-2018, 10:17 PM
I will be the first to admit that, why this one ? is based on greed. This world class area can be reached within an hour of my home,...which doesn't really line up with their assessment of " remote ".

Not sure if it even can be stopped as they have partnered with a local FN band.

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy this area for 50+ years.

The application includes extensive mountain biking and hiking trails as well as lodges. The alpine in this area is very spectacular

especially in the fall when the larch turn their gold color. I can see this becoming very successful. Not sure how awesome it would end up being listening to helicopters thumping through the area

instead of Elk screaming their faces of. I know which I would rather listen to.

Yep, more activity = more pressure on wildlife. Big slice of wilderness Retallack wants access to for mechanized recreation. I've been to Boulder Hut Adventures many times over the years, both as a guest & helping the owner in the fall with maintenance & to prepare firewood for the winter. Remote takes on a whole different meaning when you hike into the place over Boulder Pass rather than getting your a$$ flown in on a heli. Even though it's not that far from Kimberley, it gets wild pretty fast when you start hiking from the trailhead.

https://co553w.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mXoyAA45G0UALAwxh9dlQrWxQd10B10wOzHJRA0yH6UluzAz vYeJl8ROAxqIWbLfabea0h2ddFxGEcUBH8BUUQOWLmvEc6o5yE e_RL2-tPfe_GCFFewe41PSXbY2g_eUmDxcyck3LY-iKm5ydmwxpDaCgZOI_9L1wug5CjIsUKuFFIT8z8UtOLIvLuJm3 WtWw4AWau3o-bdP3rWsDMbPmeQ?width=1024&height=389&cropmode=none

And yes, scenery is second to none, particularly in the fall when the larch are turning as you've mentioned.

https://ce553w.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mvfv9rZEZd69kcAoCuNgW1XfyL6LHRskgqwOyVlJnaUr7srv 79Y7cfKr1LQScJSC0ycLuUsZ90bfZ6bBK1WnO-sFrZGPRKl4xNWxLyyq93kLjAWwLCXgjmu_hVxzuSJwYrrTVqlI W2GT7Ej3PgUuyzUl5sEPwokJ5kfHlLpmkW59D61GTb2OmPqYV9 jkWWgE_EKN7ZTrgahP3piIg0dJrTA?width=1024&height=516&cropmode=none

Below Boulder Pass on the way in to the lodge, packs loaded with supplies. It's a gnarly climb to get over.

https://cu553w.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mXWN6_XzPfOQ5b5MJOFjzlwJoraNVXmsqCQoX7VUAzJ5ftxh lbCKcpcUvHLvbJ4tdb22DRvdKhWjhLABpY5KgYsKWqRO69VUkp AxM9TgjTdOHfZgTEbV6EB5js5KH8VMEia5qTY5ZSIWOB6cxwAo TStHf0e6nTBzlZH9QegUxJuAvUrkGG3SyUgaQ0Q3nVvdslwTj2 wUt7PaDKZFcAXpC-w?width=1024&height=859&cropmode=none

North side of Boulder Pass is visible here on the way out a week later with a fresh dusting of snow.

https://fp553w.bl.files.1drv.com/y4ml_L9_JHNFTKyDiMYw1eRSFiiMCF5o47nFvyShQaOkV5zV3g g2DL7YNlekATWKN_R6zp0Ji6nWH3X5mrXk7OWIRit-7zv8abM77X_04Dnhi5lzlgLHEcoWkreOQmRXSeNApQN_--3P3S2Lt63R9mtWZzs5PoTWuPZCodBGVJm0Xlw3bZbEmVj6SEig 3bBTzpwxs2siPhVcdvl33oYbYCLnA?width=1024&height=354&cropmode=none

Not too shabby in the winter either.... on foot that is

https://cxkpbq.bl.files.1drv.com/y4mY8Y0EpljAgtoe1mSAtx7HBHmflG3IAOS9K9JOBg1GTvg57P QVbia_G4_tmZgaA-3_HFt39R1gtk3fsHMWZEuAi20VRyfbu5p3CfsMmIWJOIv7aOyw C7TkL81fKn3IzjVHTc-tzvJo8gwoqa_5CAhtMUU4Q7ck8LvZVKvhp5p6GkjtpkNYRWxHe YPFASFaRGIuhJSbOWP1ccz0ylmYm9jIg?width=1024&height=389&cropmode=none

I spent a good deal of time in the European Alps many years ago. Seems a few folks with deep pockets would like to turn our mountain wilderness into the more manicured version in Europe. Jumbo Glacier project is another example..... I'd prefer our province to stay a little less civilized, thank you. 'Bout time more of us got greedy in this way.

kootenaihunter
05-01-2018, 06:01 AM
Here are links (other were broken?) to the two proposed recreational land use tenures that will encompass much of the Southern Purcell range and encroach on some of the last remaining wilderness in the area.

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=54933 (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/r?u=https%3A%2F%2Farfd.gov.bc.ca%2FApplicationPost ing%2Fviewpost.jsp%3FPostID%3D54933&e=83745a7cb50b443575bba061329ea146&utm_source=backcountryhunters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=purcell_tenure&n=5&e=8bd77d1c9bc3f86e41aa10129a26fad4&utm_source=backcountryhunters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=purcell_tenure_press_release&n=5)
Comments for this application will be received until 2018-05-06.

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=54966 (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/r?u=https%3A%2F%2Farfd.gov.bc.ca%2FApplicationPost ing%2Fviewpost.jsp%3FPostID%3D54966&e=83745a7cb50b443575bba061329ea146&utm_source=backcountryhunters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=purcell_tenure&n=6&e=8bd77d1c9bc3f86e41aa10129a26fad4&utm_source=backcountryhunters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=purcell_tenure_press_release&n=6)
Comments for this application will be received until 2018-06-13.

BC for Sale: no peak left untouched!

If someone wants to go on an 'Adventure' I suggest they load up a backpack and bear spray and start walking uphill.

Thanks to all that commented. Believe it or not these things make a difference! A Lodge proposed just north of the Kish was withdrawn after overwhelming negative comments regarding it.

markathome
05-01-2018, 07:05 AM
Submitted my comments. PM me if you need a simple message template that speaks to limiting commercial enterprise within some of BC's last remaining mostly intact habitats.

These are the principals I follow when communicating with the BC government around habitat and wildlife management. Borrowed from the Kootenay Wildlife Coalition:

Wildlife and habitat need to be a government priority and appropriately funded.

Need clear objectives and management plans that are sustainable, enforceable and enforced.

Setting objectives must be prioritized within FLNRORD or it will not happen.
This requires having appropriate data that utilizes science-supported wildlife objectives and management plans.
Implementation will require changes to policy and legislation as wildlife and habitat are presently largely managed under legislation shaped to accommodate other resource priorities

oldkoot
05-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Beautiful shots Mike.
That particular creek is probably the only one that is relatively safe in the entire St. Marys valley, its one of the two watersheds that supply Kimberley.
Unfortunately, that's not a guarantee.
It would be nice if the sacred burial ground argument worked for everyone, I know of many wilderness wanderers whose ashes lay in some of the alpine basins , as well as several whose grave became the river itself as they were never recovered.
I am hopeful that a good number will voice their concerns over this proposal.
When people hear about hunting in the E.K. . especially regarding mountain elk hunting, the St.Marys is usually in the same conversation as the Bull river, the Elk valley, the White Swan and a couple others.
I know of many groups from around the province that have been enjoying this area for decades, hopefully they will speak up before we lose another area to enjoy our passion in.

mike31154
05-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Being a ski tourer I am admittedly biased, but the Northwest tenure application seems relatively benign compared to Retallack. Most ski touring operations use very limited mechanized resources. Typically a heli flight in/out usually during the weekend. After you are at the lodge, you are literally on foot for the duration of your stay. Minimal impact on wildlfe during winter operations. A number of lodges now offer summer hiking & some mountain biking. This is more of a concern for sure, but still nothing like a fully mechanized cat or heli operation. Take the time to read the tenure application documentation before submitting your concerns. All of the ski touring lodges I've been to are run by folks that respect the outdoors & the tenures entrusted to them. They are typically smaller in area than mechanized since there is only so much area you can cover on foot.

I've been on a few cat skiing trips & one heli skiing trip way back when.
These were/are tiny tenures compared to the Retallack proposal. Worthwhile experiences if for no other reason than to realize I prefer to earn my turns on foot these days. Way too hectic a pace sitting in the meatlocker of a cat to get to the goods.
The difference in attitudes of clientile between mechanized & non mechanized ops is remarkable. I've met some real dorks (& dorkettes for that matter) cat skiing & made friends for life ski touring. There's a lot of time for conversation when you climb for 40 minutes to ski for 5. I do believe there are sufficient mechanized opportunites in place & we don't need any more. I don't have an issue with the Northwest application.

sawmill
05-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Well St. Marys lake is already screwed. Canfor sold the whole lake front where we used to camp. Signs everywhere...No Camping..No campfires...Private Property....Must be gone by 8 P.M. Permission to launch boats. Folks around here camped for decades every summer, it was a community of friends.
It is the only acsess to the lake for vehicles and boats.. Somebody is going to build there( a multi unit lakeside development) and cut us residents off from the lake. How the HELL can that be? They have put in steel gate posts at the entrance.The day the gates close is the day you see me on the news. When I get back from the hospital I am going to camp there for a week if I can.With a CAMP FIRE. Who ever comes to kick me out better be packing a Cop.

kootenaihunter
05-01-2018, 03:38 PM
The Retallack application is ridiculous, including dogsleding, hiking, filming, biking, the whle nine yards. It'll be a year-round resort. Albeit, their application is much more professional that the the NWME.

The Northwest is not as big as Retallack, but I have issues with the fact that they chose the site specifically because it sees low usage and is primarily undisturbed. Shouldn't that be a good reason to leave it alone?

Seeker
05-01-2018, 03:49 PM
I have a feeling we are going to see a LOT more "remote" areas become developed as land is at a premium now and people will do whatever they can to make money. We as wildlife conservationists trying to get funding should be putting the information in politicians ears that we need to do 2 things: 1) have land put aside for wildlife only and 2) all outdoor recreation user groups need to pay a user tax th at goes directly back into wildlife and habitat protection/restoration. Make the policy makers aware we are here and need to be listened to.

LBM
05-01-2018, 04:09 PM
I have a feeling we are going to see a LOT more "remote" areas become developed as land is at a premium now and people will do whatever they can to make money. We as wildlife conservationists trying to get funding should be putting the information in politicians ears that we need to do 2 things: 1) have land put aside for wildlife only and 2) all outdoor recreation user groups need to pay a user tax th at goes directly back into wildlife and habitat protection/restoration. Make the policy makers aware we are here and need to be listened to.

So your Number 1 says have land put aside for wildlife only, does this mean humans can not go on there at all.

Ourea
05-01-2018, 07:24 PM
So your Number 1 says have land put aside for wildlife only, does this mean humans can not go on there at all.

LBM, your statements leave me scratching my head at times.
Gov, industry and the general public, are becoming more aware of the plight wildlife is in.
Wildlife is finally on the radar...... money, support, meaningful dialogue and projects are starting to happen.

Yet here we go right into the gutter with nonsense comments such as this.
Tribalism at it's finest.

I fully understand and respect that hunters may want/need to support numerous entities that are hunting friendly and promote wildlife initiatives. Were I start to get get annoyed is that some are going out of their way to undermine other groups that have the best interests of wildlife and our hunting heritage at heart.

LBM
05-01-2018, 07:45 PM
LBM, your statements leave me scratching my head at times.
Gov, industry and the general public, are becoming more aware of the plight wildlife is in.
Wildlife is finally on the radar...... money, support, meaningful dialogue and projects are starting to happen.

Yet here we go right into the gutter with nonsense comments such as this.
Tribalism at it's finest.

I fully understand and respect that hunters may want/need to support numerous entities that are hunting friendly and promote wildlife initiatives. Were I start to get get annoyed is that some are going out of their way to undermine other groups that have the best interests of wildlife and our hunting heritage at heart.

Your opinion, I feel the same about much of what you say.
You keep saying things are starting to happen but will never explain any of them.
Why is the comment/question nonsense.
Who is trying to undermine groups that have the best interest of wildlife and hunting heritage and who are these groups?

boxhitch
05-01-2018, 08:11 PM
So your Number 1 says have land put aside for wildlife only, does this mean humans can not go on there at all.Where have you ever seen lands locked up with that designation?

Ourea
05-01-2018, 08:11 PM
"Your leader" you stated.
Bit of a yellow flag statement.

There are some that never miss a chance to attack and slag the Fed......
........call down one particular hard working individual.

I have been on the phone with some of these folks to talk about better plans for wildlife enhancement and funding.
What I found myself having to do is reboot the conversation to keep it on track repeatedly as it went into instant Fed bashing and individuals being attacked with a venomous attitude. It was embarrassing to be honest.

I don't wish to detract from this thread too much.

More than willing to get on the phone with you to see where you're coming from.
Send me a PM and I will call, guaranteed.
That's how I qualify people.

LBM
05-01-2018, 08:40 PM

I have been on the phone with some of these folks to talk about better plans for wildlife enhancement and funding.
What I found myself having to do is reboot the conversation to keep it on track repeatedly as it went into instant Fed bashing and individuals being attacked with a venomous attitude. It was embarrassing to be honest.

Don't no if this post is directed at me or not, if so don't know what your talking about, with "your leader "comment etc
and it seems you are one that likes to attack individuals, and call down people, and yes much of what you say could be
embarrassing , but that doesn't seem to bother you, and again you never answered anything.

Ourea
05-01-2018, 09:12 PM
You stated to seeker..."your number one says"...
So yes...it was directed at u.

boxhitch
05-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Touchy or what?
Seeker made two points, I think lbm was referring to point #1

Ourea
05-01-2018, 10:14 PM
^^^^

Duly noted
And yes.....I am somewhat defensive knowing whats going on.

LBM
05-02-2018, 04:58 AM
Touchy or what?
Seeker made two points, I think lbm was referring to point #1

Exactly......................

LBM
05-02-2018, 05:02 AM
^^^^

Duly noted
And yes.....I am somewhat defensive knowing whats going on.

So again whats going on, its apparent by your last few posts you don't no but just assume things, are a bit paranoid, dream things up and attack people.

kootenaihunter
05-02-2018, 08:22 AM
I'm assuming that everyone who has had time to BS with non-relevant posts here has taken the time to to comment on the applications and attempt to make a difference.

Personal pissing matches between keyboard egos does not get things done in the real world.

dana
05-02-2018, 07:07 PM

Alright I'll take your bait.

Your 'leader' is just experiencing a little karma. You know the saying, what goes around comes around. He has attacked many with a venomous attitude over the years. It is just coming back to him now. :)

As for the point of this thread, I will open up a huge can of worms and say I fully support outdoor adventure companies that are trying to live their dreams.

05-06-2018, 12:15 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/kootenay-first-nation-s-tourism-venture-concerns-conservation-group-1.4645541

Husky7mm
05-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Ya people should fight this with all they have. That is some prime wildness. It should stay wild. There are enough ski hills, cat ski, helli ski places already. I bet they have plenty of opening. Put a cap on it.

TrickleCharger
05-13-2018, 07:39 AM
1 day left to get comments in on this proposal. The plan identifies at risk species with known sensitivity to human activities with "avoid when discovered" as a viable solution. Helicopters, snow cats, numerous trails, thousands of additional people a year - there is no way its not going to push animals out. How many wolverine or caribou do you think are going to be discovered when dollars are at stake? They proposal repeatedly states that the area sees very little public traffic as an arguement for the operation, I can't see how that's not an arguement against it. The impact of this is just not worth the economic benefits that a small group will enjoy.

boxhitch
05-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Actually deadline for feedback has beeen extended to June 14th. Contentious issue no doubt

A good article in the Mainstreet news
http://mainstreet.eshore.ca/perspective-on-retallack-proposal-by-local-author-historian/

boxhitch
05-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Movement to expand the Purcell Conservancy

www.friendsofkootenaylake.ca/wp.../07/group-edited-preliminary-proposa-final.pdf

ConcernedCitizen83
06-20-2018, 01:54 PM
For those opposed to this proposal (it will undoubtedly restrict hunting in the area, and disrupt natural wildlife behaviour and dispersal), please email the following people and leave comments on the application website (comment deadline extended to July 15). This will be the most effective method of voicing concerns with greatest chance of success in having the application denied.

Christine Lohr, Land Officer, Kootenay Boundary Region, Christine.Lohr@gov.bc.ca
CC to: Doug Donaldson, FNLRORD at FLNR.Minister@gov.bc.ca
CC to: Michelle Mungall, MLA, at michelle.mungallMLA@leg.bc.ca
CC to: Honourable John Horgan, BC Premier at premier@gov.bc.ca

Quote file # 4405893

https://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=54966

Also, please consider signing the petition at the following link and sharing with as many others as possible:

https://www.change.org/p/the-government-of-british-columbia-protect-the-purcell-wilderness-and-peaceful-kootenay-lake-say-no-to-adventure-tourism-application-4405893

Lastly, if you live near Kootenay Lake and are available to attend, there is an information session being held this Friday, June 22 at 7pm in the Crawford Bay Hall.

This tenure will cause irreparable damage to the ecosystem and wildlife of the area, and very likely restrict other activities on this public land (how can hunting not be restricted with a flow of tourists overlapping the same area, not just the occasional person hiking or otherwise venturing into the backcountry?)?

Any support is appreciated if you agree.

Husky7mm
06-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Petition iink doesnt work???

ConcernedCitizen83
06-20-2018, 10:47 PM
Apologies, it should work now (above as well as below). Thanks for letting me know!

https://www.change.org/p/the-government-of-british-columbia-protect-the-purcell-wilderness-and-peaceful-kootenay-lake-say-no-to-adventure-tourism-application-4405893

Redthies
06-21-2018, 06:58 AM
I’ve signed a few petitions at change.org. Not sure how effective they are, but I signed this one too. The whole tenure thing is a big problem province wide. I lived in Whistler for 25 years and still work and hunt there. One of my clients is a wilderness tour operator (I maintain and build some of their buildings as well as train their snowcat and equipment operators). There is not always totally a bad side to these operations. As a company, the one I contract with takes “ownership” of the land they are on and we are often out there cleaning up illegal garbage dumping etc. There are no “no hunting or shooting” signs anywhere (I have successfully hunted while on their tenure [possibly while actually at work]).

One issue we came upon is that the owner of the company didn’t think of all the activities that could take place on his tenure, and now there is a second company doing “wildlife viewing tours” which is basically wildlife harassment tours on the same land. I have seen them cornering feeding bears with multiple vehicles so tourists can take pictures of them. Yes, I stopped and told them to f-off, and then reported them to the COs.

I’m not defending these adventure companies at all. Merely pointing out that SOME of them are ok. Retallacks proposal seems to me to be a very bad idea. The entire province doesn’t need to become a giant Whistler!

IronNoggin
06-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Signed & Shared.

Nog

Bugle M In
06-21-2018, 12:36 PM
done...………………………..

ConcernedCitizen83
06-25-2018, 11:57 AM
Just a follow up on opposition to the Retallack proposal is to please ensure you send comments directly to the government on your opposition, including reasons why (as per their request). A list of points you could mention are as follows, along with who to send your comments to. Taking a few minutes to do this will be the best chance of this proposal being denied. Also, if you agree, please include a comment to request that the government puts a moratorium on these heli-skiing and adventure tourism operations in the Purcell range for the sake of wildlife, residents, and current recreational users wishing to visit the area for peace and nature, not noise and commercialization. Thank you for your support!

http://mainstreet.eshore.ca/back-country-tenure-proposal-action-plan-meeting-friday-june-29-18/

kootenaihunter
07-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Good news,

The RDEK has unanimously voted to oppose the Retallack tenure. While the FLNRO has the final say in the matter, opposition of local government is a step in the right direction.

https://www.cranbrooktownsman.com/news/rdek-opposes-proposed-retallack-recreation-tenure/

Comments on the proposal have been extended to July 15, see link above.

Remember, we're not making new wild places. We only have what's left. If it's not protected, it's only a matter time until it's all gone.

08-01-2018, 10:32 AM
The plot thickens...

https://www.nelsonstar.com/news/lower-kootenay-band-member-disputes-partnership-with-retallack/